What is your FAV SLOW COOKER Recipe?

Options

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I love my Split Pea Soup recipe. I used to not like this soup but this one is YUMMY. Not sure how healthy it is - but peas are good, right? I have given this recipe to so many people and they all love it.

Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipe
    Ingredients:
    • 1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried green split peas, rinsed (I rinse and soak in water for ½ hour or so)
    • 1 meaty hambone, 2 ham hocks, or 2 cups diced ham (I have used ham hocks with 2-3 cups of diced ham or just the diced ham – I buy those little Safeway Honey ham ¼’s in the meat department)
    • 3 carrots, peeled and sliced (I dice)
    • 1/2 cup chopped onion
    • 2 ribs of celery plus leaves, chopped
    • 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced (I use two of the Trader Joe’s frozen garlic cubes)
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
    • 1 tbsp. seasoned salt (or to taste – I use less)
    • 1/2 tsp. fresh pepper
    • 1 1/2 qts. hot water
    Preparation:
    Layer ingredients in slow cooker in the order given; pour in water. Do not stir ingredients. Cover and cook on HIGH 4 to 5 hours or on low 8 to 10 hours until peas are very soft and ham falls off bone. Remove bones and bay leaf. Mash peas to thicken more, if desired. Serve garnished with croutons. Freezes well.
    Serves 8.
  • ChristieisReady
    ChristieisReady Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Yummy!
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    bump
  • Raynedancer
    Raynedancer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh, ty all. These are great recipes to help get throught the long cold winter.

Bumpity-Bump
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    Yum, bump.
  • Freckles3
    Options
    thanks everyone! keep them comming! i am trying to write them all down and prep the grocery list for next week. YUM. thanks so much!
  • Nevadagrrl
    Options
    I found this cookbook at the bookstore...it might help you out! :)

FIX-IT and FORGET-IT LIGHTLY : Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker

Phyllis Pellman Good (Author)

I've tried about 20 or so recipes so far and they have all turned out very good. I love that the calories are so low!
  • mymeow
    mymeow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker Meatloaf

1-1/2 lb lean ground beef or turkey
    2 eggs, beaten
    3/4 cup milk
    2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs (I've also used uncooked oatmeal)
    2 tablespoons grated onion
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground sage
    1/2 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/4 tsp nutmeg

In large bowl, combine eggs, milk, bread crumbs, onion, salt, sage & meat. Mix well and shape into a 9 x 5-inch rectangle or oval. Place in a slow cooker. Cover and coon on low 6-8 hours. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and nugmeg in a small bowl. Pour mixture over meat. Turn to high. Cover and cook an additional 15 minutes.

I don't have the nutritional value on this, sorry! I'll try and figure it out later and add it in!
  • shannahrose
    shannahrose Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Slow Cooker Meatloaf

1-1/2 lb lean ground beef or turkey
    2 eggs, beaten
    3/4 cup milk
    2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs (I've also used uncooked oatmeal)
    2 tablespoons grated onion
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp ground sage
    1/2 cup ketchup
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/4 tsp nutmeg

In large bowl, combine eggs, milk, bread crumbs, onion, salt, sage & meat. Mix well and shape into a 9 x 5-inch rectangle or oval. Place in a slow cooker. Cover and coon on low 6-8 hours. Combine ketchup, brown sugar, mustard and nugmeg in a small bowl. Pour mixture over meat. Turn to high. Cover and cook an additional 15 minutes.

I don't have the nutritional value on this, sorry! I'll try and figure it out later and add it in!

YUM!!
  • Rachelatbeach
    Options
    Crockpot Beer Bratwurst and Veggies: Serves 8
    10 bratwursts cut in 1/3s
    2 large onions, chopped
    24 small red potatoes, skin on
    8 carrots cut in 2 inch pieces
    2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed twice and drained
    1 12oz. bottle of amber beer, like Amberbock
    1 tsp. stone ground or dijon mustard
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1 bay leaf
    1 tsp thyme leaves
    pepper

Sauce:
    1 cup cooking liquid
    1/2 cup light soour cream
    1 tsp. horseradish (I like closer to 1 tbls.)
    1 tblsp. stone ground mustard (or to taste; I like less)

Dump in crockpot first 12 ingredients. Cook on high for six hours. Remove the cup of cooking liquid and make sauce with remaining 3 ingredients.
  • page68
    page68 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KZOsMommy
    KZOsMommy Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Bubbas12
    Bubbas12 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The ham recipe sounds delicious!!!
  • Xenopha
    Xenopha Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like making turkey and veggie soup.

1/2 c brown rice
    1 c chopped carrots
    1 c chopped celery
    1 can of corn (low sodium)
    1/4 med. head of cabbage
    1 c chopped onion
    1 pound cooked turkey meat
    Cover with chicken broth (try to avoid bullion cubes, they are just flavored salt)
    Add salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic if you like (to taste)
    1 whole bay leave (fish this out when you are ready to eat)

I always make a huge batch of this after Thanksgiving and freeze individual portions (1.5 c) and freeze them so I can grab one for lunch when I am in a rush. I usually am assured a homemade lunch for at least two weeks.

In truth, just about any soup recipe that you find will work well in a crock pot.

A few tips on cooking with one:

-Prep the meal the night before and put it in the fridge and pop it in the base on your way out the door.
    -Plan you meals in advance for freezer meals. It's cheaper than buying the processed crap from lean cuisine and much healthier.
    -Avoid cooking pasta unless its like the lasagna recipes, the pasta tends to come out as just mush.
    -Try to add cabbage to just about any recipe where it doesn't seem weird, it will taste like whatever you cook it with and is loaded with vitamins, fiber, is super filling, and has virtually no calories.
    -Make sure there is enough liquid in the pot, it will boil off even with the lid and if you have stuff that tends to expand as it soaks up water (e.g., rice) you are just as likely to burn your food as cook it.

Hope this helps.
  • bowerstm3
    Options
    bump
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    pulled pork!!

I also make a vegetarian bean and apple chili
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    bump
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I love the Crockpot Lady.... google "crockpot 365".... she's just great. I've liked everything I've tried of hers (though some recipes just didn't appeal.)

What I particularly like: she's provided a verdict for each of her recipes based on how her kids, husband, visiting family, etc., liked the meal...
  • scrappymel
    scrappymel Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    12-15 new potatoes (red)
    large onion sliced
    lipton onion soup seasoning
    small can reduced fat cream of chicken soup

i cook this on low all day. sometimes we add fresh green beans if they look nice in the store that week. i just serve it w/ a salad.
  • eileensideways
    Options
    this book is excellent - Busy People's Low-Fat Cookbook
    http://tinyurl.com/25styqv