2 year plateau and confused about differences in calories

Options

Replies

• sunshinesoprano
    sunshinesoprano Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Belly Dancer: Do you have a slow metabolism:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGLwzbvx4S4

I think the OP and this woman suffer from the same issue.

Really?

Really. It's not a joke nor an attempt to be mean. You both have no concept of what you're eating. In the face of medical professionals telling you there's nothing wrong with your metabolism, you continue to believe it's something other than what it is. The only roadblock to your weight loss is you.

Really, because I'm pretty sure I do. I have done this consistently almost every day for three years. I know exactly what I eat to the point it drives my family and my co-workers crazy.

I ask the people in the cafeteria to measure out certain portions, what brand things are and they look at me like I'm NUTS.

DO NOT JUDGE.

I'm not judging. You have consistently done something for 2 years. That something is not getting you to your goals. If you don't want to change, then keep doing what you're doing. Keep consistently eating foods prepared by someone else so that you can't know the exact content. Keep relying on 'underestimates". Keep doing it but at the same time, don't be surprised when your weight remains the same and don't ask for advice and then call those people mean or judgemental when they try to show you what you're doing wrong.

You are just a little harsh and snarky.

I'm not saying anyone offering advice is judgmental. There have been some on here who made incorrect assumptions about me.

I'm not some overly obese, grossly fat person. I work out hard and most people have no idea I weigh what I do because of how I'm built.

I have a 37 inch waist...I mean...that's pretty good considering I was pushing 300lbs at one point.

I'm not resisting anyone's feedback. I just know I know what I'm eating and it's not over 2000 calories on any day...even my splurge days.
  • bekahlou75
    bekahlou75 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I was going to say positive things like, you can do this, you got it, keep going strong, etc. But I changed my mind. Suck it up and understand you are not a special snowflake. You are eating WAAAAY more than you think. Not trying to be rude but you make excuses about how small your waist is, how big your family is, how thin your doctor is, the way your body is made, etc. EAT LESS. MOVE MORE.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Really?

Really. It's not a joke nor an attempt to be mean. You both have no concept of what you're eating. In the face of medical professionals telling you there's nothing wrong with your metabolism, you continue to believe it's something other than what it is. The only roadblock to your weight loss is you.

Really, because I'm pretty sure I do. I have done this consistently almost every day for three years. I know exactly what I eat to the point it drives my family and my co-workers crazy.

I ask the people in the cafeteria to measure out certain portions, what brand things are and they look at me like I'm NUTS.

DO NOT JUDGE.

I'm not judging. You have consistently done something for 2 years. That something is not getting you to your goals. If you don't want to change, then keep doing what you're doing. Keep consistently eating foods prepared by someone else so that you can't know the exact content. Keep relying on 'underestimates". Keep doing it but at the same time, don't be surprised when your weight remains the same and don't ask for advice and then call those people mean or judgemental when they try to show you what you're doing wrong.

I'm not saying anyone offering advice is judgmental. There have been some on here who made incorrect assumptions about me.

I'm not some overly obese, grossly fat person. I work out hard and most people have no idea I weigh what I do because of how I'm built.

I have a 37 inch waist...I mean...that's pretty good considering I was pushing 300lbs at one point.

I'm not resisting anyone's feedback. I just know I know what I'm eating and it's not over 2000 calories on any day...even my splurge days.

Okay. Good luck.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

Really?

DO NOT JUDGE.

First off congratulations on losing the 50 lbs that's a great achievement

If I read this correctly you have been doing this for three years consistently and you lost 50 lbs in the first year and have stalled for the next two?

Have you reduced your calorie intake in line with your initial loss or are you still trying to eat the same amount?

No matter how long you have done something, if its not working it needs changing.

I subscribe to the buy a set of digital scales and a decent measuring jug etc and prepare your own food log the calories idea, however if you really do not want to do that then reduce the amount you are eating so you go into calorie deficit

Weighing and logging food my seem like a chore to start with but strangely enough there are some of us that start to enjoy, which is kind of weird now I think about it.
  • KCharron20
    KCharron20 Posts: 105
    Options
    Can I make another suggestion? I struggled for a year and 1/2 on a plateau. Gaining and losing the same 5 pounds. I moved my calories up and down and just couldn't find the right amount of calories for me. I was working out with a trainer 2x a week. He was helping me with my calories. I was very careful about my logging and weighing my food. At the end of this year and 1/2, I had pretty much given up, I was getting so discouraged. Well, in August I purchased a Bodymedia device. This would be my suggestion. I did a lot of research before I purchased it. They are very accurate and monitor your sleep habits, steps taken and calories burned. It has helped me tremendously. I finally feel like I know where I need to be. I have to admit, it has taken me a bit to get back into my rhythm. But now that I am back at the gym 5 mornings a week, and logging everything again, the scale is moving. I know exactly where my calorie burn is for each day. Good luck! I understand exactly what your going through. Hang in there!
  • sunshinesoprano
    Options
    I feel for you, in general, OP. I've got some severe thyroid issues. I am very rigid in weighing and measuring my food. I've been in recovery from an eating disorder.

I know what it's like to look in the general forums and realize I can't apply most advice to myself, because I am different. I can become very angry towards myself for being different, or for expecting forums to solve problems that even my endo laughingly puts "We're all still trying to figure out ourselves."

But here's the thing.

You have options. Have you had your thyroid levels checked? You mentioned a family history of hypothyroidism, but a family history doesn't mean you're doomed to have it (thank goodness!) or that you've been tested. If you haven't had them checked, perhaps get them done for you and your doctor to eliminate (or consider) a cause.

But here's the other thing: weighing and measuring your food is key. If you're not doing it, you're not aware of what you eat. You've been here awhile, I see, but not active on the forums. I cannot tell you HOW many people have come in with a VERY similar story to you, and 9 times out of 10, they're eating more than they think. "Making good choices" is fine for health, but not necessarily weight loss.

You seem to have fallen into the "bad" vs. "good" food trap as well. I've seen it firsthand; someone eats salad and chicken and thinks they're superior to others for their food, healthier for their food or "should be losing weight." Except they don't measure the dressing they put on the salad. An 8 oz. chicken breast becomes a 4 oz. chicken breast to them. "I'm eating yogurt and don't eat fried foods!" but eating 10 cups of yogurt and having a tub of nuts for snacks.

All of this could still be fine... provided someone is aware of exactly how many calories/portions they're ingesting vs. what they're putting out.

I do have to say, that assuming anything of your "skinny" doctor's experience doesn't put you in a good light. You have no idea what she may have gone through as a child, as a young adult, etc. She may have had an eating disorder. She may have lost weight before. She might have struggled with weight during her residency when she couldn't be bothered to focus on her weight.

Most of all? If she's thin, why would you discount anything she says? She's doing something you want, correct... to be a lower weight, a healthier weight?

Again I say about my doctor...I HAVE TALKED ABOUT IT WITH HER. She even said she couldn't know how I felt.

OMG...before you all jump my case, read the posts

I never said I wasn't going to weigh my food.

Most of the people think I'm trying to starve myself because I eat so little.

I appreciate all of you who have given me advisement. I'm not being defensive, but rather trying to explain that I"m not a novice at this and am really stuck. Some of you seem to not care about anything but being heard. That's fine.

I didn't get on your case, yet for someone who claims to not be defensive... why would you interpret my post in anyway like that?

I read all your posts on here. I didn't see anywhere where you specifically got thyroid tests or asked for a blood panel. I could assume your statement that "She keeps saying it's food" means you might have asked that and your doctor hasn't given you the bloodwork, but if I've learned one thing about these forums, it's not to assume things. Provide us with more detail if you want us to know the intimate details of your journey. Plus, the fact that a gyno wouldn't be the doctor to go to for thyroid advice at all, a GP or (better yet) an endo would be.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing "The lady doth protest too much"--you interpreted attacks by page 2, you "assume" responses before they're said, and now lengthy posts full of as much objective advice as possible (with doses of empathy in many of them) get dubbed as "People only care about being heard" and passive-aggression.

Well, it's a forum. People want to be heard when they share advice with you, a forum is designed for different voices *to* be heard; the issue here is that you don't appear to want to hear what so many are saying, and seem to be hearing things that no one is doing (a.k.a, attacks).
    [/quote

The problem is, someone else even said they could see how I would feel attacked. I didn't say YOU attacked me.

I've had a thyroid test...she said it was fine and refused to dig further, insisting it was just food.

I'm not defensive, just trying to explain, and before you fuss at me for something, go back and read the other posts.

Okay, it really seems like you're only focusing on the negative here. It seems like you are doing this as a way of avoiding looking at what's really wrong. There have been lots of suggestions to weigh your food and be more accurate - all of which have been met with excuses:

I know the calories in my food because it's packaged or the cafeteria at work is exact
    I don't eat a lot of salt
    I measure with a measuring cup

You've said yourself that "it's not the food, something else has to be wrong..." yet, your doctor has told you that your problem is your food and many of the people on here have told you the same thing. Yet, instead of responding to the suggestions in a manner that says that it's given you something to think about, you respond in a manner that says that you're not willing to change.

It's easy to play the victim card - my skinny doctor doesn't understand me, my family is all big and we're not meant to be skinny, there has to be something wrong because I'm doing everything right. There is a very slight chance that maybe there is a medical issue, however instead of ruling out the other options, you are complaining that nothing's working when you're not willing to even SEE if there's another problem.

In one of your defensive responses, I see that you finally said that you "never said you weren't going to use a food scale" yet every other excuse of a response indicates that you have no intention of using a food scale. Being so defensive about everything (and I did not see anything attacking you in the first couple of pages) makes it seem to me like you KNOW what your problem is and aren't willing to do what it takes to fix it. If you don't want to, that's fine, you aren't ready, but life gets a lot easier when you stop being a victim and start being in control.

FWIW, here are the problems I'm guessing (which are only guesses since you still haven't opened your food diary or even given a run down of what you typically eat).

1) Not logging your food regularly
    2) Eating more than you think you are - if you aren't weighing your food, you have no clue, even when using a measuring cup - yeah, sometimes your estimates might only be off by 10-20%, but that could be several hundred calories a day depending on density
    3) You don't know how most of your food is really made - even if the kitchen at work is "healthy", it doesn't mean that the chef doesn't use extra oil or butter on stuff - it also doesn't mean that they are cooking low calorie - healthy =/= calorie controlled
    4) You are using the wrong entries for what you do eat - even if you know what you are eating, calories vary by brand and item type. Entries in the database are also often VERY wrong. I was logging fajita meat yesterday - one entry listed a 4 oz portion of cooked chicken fajita meat as 110 calories. There's really no possible way that's accurate - 4 oz of cooked chicken (by the NI for what I buy) is closer to 180 calories and that doesn't even take in to account the marinade/oil. I've seen much bigger errors on some entries, even for some name brand products.
    5) You have binges or "cheat" meals that you don't accurately account for. These can add up to thousands of calories - yes THOUSANDS. Last night I had a medium shake from Sonic - I figured based on a medium blizzard it would be between 500-1000 calories - I logged it and it was over 1200! A lot of people I know would have probably guessed it as 500 calories. Have a few items like this per week/month and it's enough to make you gain.

My suggestions:
    1) Cook for yourself and weigh everything
    2) If you won't cook for yourself, then do a couple of weeks Jenny Craig style - only eat pre-packaged meals from home, no restaurant or cafeteria food. This will probably be much more accurate than what you are currently doing. It won't be fun, but it will probably get the scale moving in the right direction.
    3) Try a different "diet". It sounds like you are burnt out on calorie counting. Maybe try Weight Watchers? It's the same concept, but different. Or, maybe look at something like Intermittent Fasting - just do something different. Maybe having a fresh perspective will help you get the weight loss going again.
    4) Find a new goal that's not weight loss related. Set a fitness goal and up your exercise to be better. Do you know that there are some recommendations that in order to lose weight and keep it off we need 60-90 minutes of exercise MOST days of the week? Three days of 45 minutes isn't burning a ton of calories and obviously isn't boosting your loss. Maybe, if you aren't willing to change the food, then changing the exercise will make a difference. You can find time to do it, you just have to want to.

Finally, be honest with yourself. If you aren't in the right frame of mind to lose weight right now, then focus on maintaining and stop stressing yourself out. It's okay. Yes, losing weight is going to be beneficial, but not gaining back what you've already lost will be more beneficial than giving up and gaining it all back.

I'm not opening my diary because there are rude people on here.

I'll give you an example of what I eat.

Breakfast: Regular oatmeal and 1 egg.
    Lunch: fresh pineapple, a small dark greens salad with honey french dressing on the side.
    Snack: a fiber one peanut butter brownie.
    Dinner: A grand turkey club from Arby's, no mayo.

I do not binge. I log even my snacks. I have learned the calories of just about everything I like and so it deterrs me from eating it. Hahaha.

My workouts are Leslie Sansone workouts and according to my meter I'm burning 400-600 calories depending on if I do 3 or 4 miles.
  • sunshinesoprano
    Options
    Can I make another suggestion? I struggled for a year and 1/2 on a plateau. Gaining and losing the same 5 pounds. I moved my calories up and down and just couldn't find the right amount of calories for me. I was working out with a trainer 2x a week. He was helping me with my calories. I was very careful about my logging and weighing my food. At the end of this year and 1/2, I had pretty much given up, I was getting so discouraged. Well, in August I purchased a Bodymedia device. This would be my suggestion. I did a lot of research before I purchased it. They are very accurate and monitor your sleep habits, steps taken and calories burned. It has helped me tremendously. I finally feel like I know where I need to be. I have to admit, it has taken me a bit to get back into my rhythm. But now that I am back at the gym 5 mornings a week, and logging everything again, the scale is moving. I know exactly where my calorie burn is for each day. Good luck! I understand exactly what your going through. Hang in there!

Thank you! Great suggestion.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    All I'm seeing is excuse, after excuse, after excuse.

You know why you're at a plateau? You don't want it bad enough to make the changes that need to be made.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Really?

DO NOT JUDGE.

Okay, since you know EXACTLY what you eat every day, tell us or open your diary? Maybe then we can see how right you are? Telling us you KNOW and you are right without showing any proof that says that makes it hard to believe. You are still being a victim here and like the previous poster said, the only thing standing in your way is you. If you really have a medical problem, taking a detailed (down to the gram) food diary in to a doctor will go a lot further than saying "I know I'm doing everything right so something must be wrong with me." Don't you think your doctor has heard this from countless other people? It sounds to me like your doctor's not willing to go on a wild goose chase without a reason. Maybe, just maybe, if you log everything, EVERYTHING, truthfully and ACCURATELY and you still don't see results in a few weeks, maybe your doctor will help you with more tests. If she won't, then it will be wonderful information to have for another doctor who can help you. I promise you, even specialists probably tend to look at overweight people who just can't lose the weight and automatically think "you're eating too much."
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Okay. Good luck.

Yeah if all you are going to do is insist you know how much you are eating and that the problem must be something else other than your caloric intake then I don't really have advice. If you are wrong then you are ignoring the problem, if you are right then you are a unique individual unlike anyone or anything I have ever experienced and therefore I cannot possibly advise you on your situation.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    All I'm seeing is excuse, after excuse, after excuse.

You know why you're at a plateau? You don't want it bad enough to make the changes that need to be made.

I keep hitting reply, typing, then backing out but this pretty much sums up how I feel. It is not meant to be rude, it is the honest to God truth. OP hopefully you can see that for what it is, take it to heart and make the changes (that many have outlined here). If not, I am afraid you will remain exactly the same.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

One tip I can give is this. Your profile pic shows that you tend to carry your weight more in your midsection. This can put you at higher risk for insulin resistance. You may want to get your fasting blood sugar levels checked, and be tested for insulin resistance.
    If you ARE insulin resistant, then you will need to lower your carb levels. Insulin resistance is one situation where it DOES matter WHAT you eat in addition to how much.

This photo was actually a little deceptive. My waist circumference is 37 inches now. Most of my weight is in my legs.

Thank you for your advise and non-judgemental comments.

Where are you measuring? At the smallest point of your waist?

Try measuring at your navel level, just above your hipbones. This measurement should not be more than 1/2 your height. i.e. I am 5'6", or 66 inches. The measurement at navel level should be 33" or less for me. It is still higher than that, so I am still carrying more weight in my midsection than I should be, which puts me at higher risk for diabetes and heart disease.

Carrying more fat in this area, CAN affect how your body processes carbs, and can therefore lower the number of calories needed for weight loss.

Therefore, if you ARE accurately measuring everything, then you might need to eat less than 1700 cals to lose.

ETA Or you can stay at that calorie level, but try lowering your total carbs, and see if that helps.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, in general, OP. I've got some severe thyroid issues. I am very rigid in weighing and measuring my food. I've been in recovery from an eating disorder.

I know what it's like to look in the general forums and realize I can't apply most advice to myself, because I am different. I can become very angry towards myself for being different, or for expecting forums to solve problems that even my endo laughingly puts "We're all still trying to figure out ourselves."

But here's the thing.

You have options. Have you had your thyroid levels checked? You mentioned a family history of hypothyroidism, but a family history doesn't mean you're doomed to have it (thank goodness!) or that you've been tested. If you haven't had them checked, perhaps get them done for you and your doctor to eliminate (or consider) a cause.

But here's the other thing: weighing and measuring your food is key. If you're not doing it, you're not aware of what you eat. You've been here awhile, I see, but not active on the forums. I cannot tell you HOW many people have come in with a VERY similar story to you, and 9 times out of 10, they're eating more than they think. "Making good choices" is fine for health, but not necessarily weight loss.

You seem to have fallen into the "bad" vs. "good" food trap as well. I've seen it firsthand; someone eats salad and chicken and thinks they're superior to others for their food, healthier for their food or "should be losing weight." Except they don't measure the dressing they put on the salad. An 8 oz. chicken breast becomes a 4 oz. chicken breast to them. "I'm eating yogurt and don't eat fried foods!" but eating 10 cups of yogurt and having a tub of nuts for snacks.

All of this could still be fine... provided someone is aware of exactly how many calories/portions they're ingesting vs. what they're putting out.

I do have to say, that assuming anything of your "skinny" doctor's experience doesn't put you in a good light. You have no idea what she may have gone through as a child, as a young adult, etc. She may have had an eating disorder. She may have lost weight before. She might have struggled with weight during her residency when she couldn't be bothered to focus on her weight.

Most of all? If she's thin, why would you discount anything she says? She's doing something you want, correct... to be a lower weight, a healthier weight?

Again I say about my doctor...I HAVE TALKED ABOUT IT WITH HER. She even said she couldn't know how I felt.

OMG...before you all jump my case, read the posts

I never said I wasn't going to weigh my food.

Most of the people think I'm trying to starve myself because I eat so little.

I appreciate all of you who have given me advisement. I'm not being defensive, but rather trying to explain that I"m not a novice at this and am really stuck. Some of you seem to not care about anything but being heard. That's fine.

I didn't get on your case, yet for someone who claims to not be defensive... why would you interpret my post in anyway like that?

I read all your posts on here. I didn't see anywhere where you specifically got thyroid tests or asked for a blood panel. I could assume your statement that "She keeps saying it's food" means you might have asked that and your doctor hasn't given you the bloodwork, but if I've learned one thing about these forums, it's not to assume things. Provide us with more detail if you want us to know the intimate details of your journey. Plus, the fact that a gyno wouldn't be the doctor to go to for thyroid advice at all, a GP or (better yet) an endo would be.

Unfortunately, I'm seeing "The lady doth protest too much"--you interpreted attacks by page 2, you "assume" responses before they're said, and now lengthy posts full of as much objective advice as possible (with doses of empathy in many of them) get dubbed as "People only care about being heard" and passive-aggression.

Well, it's a forum. People want to be heard when they share advice with you, a forum is designed for different voices *to* be heard; the issue here is that you don't appear to want to hear what so many are saying, and seem to be hearing things that no one is doing (a.k.a, attacks).
    [/quote

The problem is, someone else even said they could see how I would feel attacked. I didn't say YOU attacked me.

I've had a thyroid test...she said it was fine and refused to dig further, insisting it was just food.

I'm not defensive, just trying to explain, and before you fuss at me for something, go back and read the other posts.

Okay, it really seems like you're only focusing on the negative here. It seems like you are doing this as a way of avoiding looking at what's really wrong. There have been lots of suggestions to weigh your food and be more accurate - all of which have been met with excuses:

I know the calories in my food because it's packaged or the cafeteria at work is exact
    I don't eat a lot of salt
    I measure with a measuring cup

You've said yourself that "it's not the food, something else has to be wrong..." yet, your doctor has told you that your problem is your food and many of the people on here have told you the same thing. Yet, instead of responding to the suggestions in a manner that says that it's given you something to think about, you respond in a manner that says that you're not willing to change.

It's easy to play the victim card - my skinny doctor doesn't understand me, my family is all big and we're not meant to be skinny, there has to be something wrong because I'm doing everything right. There is a very slight chance that maybe there is a medical issue, however instead of ruling out the other options, you are complaining that nothing's working when you're not willing to even SEE if there's another problem.

In one of your defensive responses, I see that you finally said that you "never said you weren't going to use a food scale" yet every other excuse of a response indicates that you have no intention of using a food scale. Being so defensive about everything (and I did not see anything attacking you in the first couple of pages) makes it seem to me like you KNOW what your problem is and aren't willing to do what it takes to fix it. If you don't want to, that's fine, you aren't ready, but life gets a lot easier when you stop being a victim and start being in control.

FWIW, here are the problems I'm guessing (which are only guesses since you still haven't opened your food diary or even given a run down of what you typically eat).

1) Not logging your food regularly
    2) Eating more than you think you are - if you aren't weighing your food, you have no clue, even when using a measuring cup - yeah, sometimes your estimates might only be off by 10-20%, but that could be several hundred calories a day depending on density
    3) You don't know how most of your food is really made - even if the kitchen at work is "healthy", it doesn't mean that the chef doesn't use extra oil or butter on stuff - it also doesn't mean that they are cooking low calorie - healthy =/= calorie controlled
    4) You are using the wrong entries for what you do eat - even if you know what you are eating, calories vary by brand and item type. Entries in the database are also often VERY wrong. I was logging fajita meat yesterday - one entry listed a 4 oz portion of cooked chicken fajita meat as 110 calories. There's really no possible way that's accurate - 4 oz of cooked chicken (by the NI for what I buy) is closer to 180 calories and that doesn't even take in to account the marinade/oil. I've seen much bigger errors on some entries, even for some name brand products.
    5) You have binges or "cheat" meals that you don't accurately account for. These can add up to thousands of calories - yes THOUSANDS. Last night I had a medium shake from Sonic - I figured based on a medium blizzard it would be between 500-1000 calories - I logged it and it was over 1200! A lot of people I know would have probably guessed it as 500 calories. Have a few items like this per week/month and it's enough to make you gain.

My suggestions:
    1) Cook for yourself and weigh everything
    2) If you won't cook for yourself, then do a couple of weeks Jenny Craig style - only eat pre-packaged meals from home, no restaurant or cafeteria food. This will probably be much more accurate than what you are currently doing. It won't be fun, but it will probably get the scale moving in the right direction.
    3) Try a different "diet". It sounds like you are burnt out on calorie counting. Maybe try Weight Watchers? It's the same concept, but different. Or, maybe look at something like Intermittent Fasting - just do something different. Maybe having a fresh perspective will help you get the weight loss going again.
    4) Find a new goal that's not weight loss related. Set a fitness goal and up your exercise to be better. Do you know that there are some recommendations that in order to lose weight and keep it off we need 60-90 minutes of exercise MOST days of the week? Three days of 45 minutes isn't burning a ton of calories and obviously isn't boosting your loss. Maybe, if you aren't willing to change the food, then changing the exercise will make a difference. You can find time to do it, you just have to want to.

Finally, be honest with yourself. If you aren't in the right frame of mind to lose weight right now, then focus on maintaining and stop stressing yourself out. It's okay. Yes, losing weight is going to be beneficial, but not gaining back what you've already lost will be more beneficial than giving up and gaining it all back.

I'm not opening my diary because there are rude people on here.

I'll give you an example of what I eat.

Lunch: fresh pineapple, a small dark greens salad with honey french dressing on the side.

I do not binge. I log even my snacks. I have learned the calories of just about everything I like and so it deterrs me from eating it. Hahaha.

My workouts are Leslie Sansone workouts and according to my meter I'm burning 400-600 calories depending on if I do 3 or 4 miles.

I originally asked for the diary to be open. I'm sorry but this isn't helpful. I've seen these posts before, sometimes they are an accurate reflection and sometimes they aren't.
    I understand you feel people are mean, I dont' think they are trying to be. But if you want help, you have to take the good and the bad.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options

Breakfast - How much oatmeal? Prepared in what manner? No sweetener?
    Lunch - How much pineapple? What exactly is on your salad? How much dressing?
    Dinner - nothing else? Not even a bite of french fries?

Why don't you post several days worth of your exact food diary listings? Where's this "cafeteria" food you talk about? Where's your restaurant meals? Let us see more. I know you think people are rude on here, but I didn't really see much rudeness until every valid suggestion was met with an excuse.

So, are you going to get a food scale and try it out? A food scale is MUCH cheaper than a Bodymedia fit device. If something *really* is wrong with you, the Bodymedia device isn't likely to be accurate for you anyway. If you are really that odd person who's BMR is much lower than average, the Bodymedia device isn't going to show that. It has a lot of complex calculations it does based on averages and if you are really as different as you think, this device will be useless. The food sale on the other hand will give you more accurate information which will help you arm yourself for your next doctor's visit.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options

Really?

DO NOT JUDGE.

You do come off sounding a little defensive; like, you want people to know that you're not a 'grossly fat person' and still have a '37 inch waist'. None of that really matters, because no one's trying to judge you on your appearance, your weight, your diet, your activity level, anything. People are just trying to help you find possible reasons for your weight-loss stall.

A two-year plateau is not a plateau -- it is maintenance, and it means you are eating at a maintenance level. I am not sure how you could eat strictly 1200 calories a day for two years and maintain at 230 pounds, even taking into account the possibility of some sort of physiological issue (which I assume you have been tested for). You might be eating more than you think. People have given you great suggestions to prepare your own meals and weight everything you make, and I have to agree.
  • sunshinesoprano
    Options

One tip I can give is this. Your profile pic shows that you tend to carry your weight more in your midsection. This can put you at higher risk for insulin resistance. You may want to get your fasting blood sugar levels checked, and be tested for insulin resistance.
    If you ARE insulin resistant, then you will need to lower your carb levels. Insulin resistance is one situation where it DOES matter WHAT you eat in addition to how much.

This photo was actually a little deceptive. My waist circumference is 37 inches now. Most of my weight is in my legs.

Thank you for your advise and non-judgemental comments.

Where are you measuring? At the smallest point of your waist?

Try measuring at your navel level, just above your hipbones. This measurement should not be more than 1/2 your height. i.e. I am 5'6", or 66 inches. The measurement at navel level should be 33" or less for me. It is still higher than that, so I am still carrying more weight in my midsection than I should be, which puts me at higher risk for diabetes and heart disease.

Carrying more fat in this area, CAN affect how your body processes carbs, and can therefore lower the number of calories needed for weight loss.

Therefore, if you ARE accurately measuring everything, then you might need to eat less than 1700 cals to lose.

ETA Or you can stay at that calorie level, but try lowering your total carbs, and see if that helps.

I am short-waisted so there's not much to measure...yes, I do measure it there.
  • sunshinesoprano
    Options

Breakfast - How much oatmeal? Prepared in what manner? No sweetener?
    Lunch - How much pineapple? What exactly is on your salad? How much dressing?
    Dinner - nothing else? Not even a bite of french fries?

Why don't you post several days worth of your exact food diary listings? Where's this "cafeteria" food you talk about? Where's your restaurant meals? Let us see more. I know you think people are rude on here, but I didn't really see much rudeness until every valid suggestion was met with an excuse.

So, are you going to get a food scale and try it out? A food scale is MUCH cheaper than a Bodymedia fit device. If something *really* is wrong with you, the Bodymedia device isn't likely to be accurate for you anyway. If you are really that odd person who's BMR is much lower than average, the Bodymedia device isn't going to show that. It has a lot of complex calculations it does based on averages and if you are really as different as you think, this device will be useless. The food sale on the other hand will give you more accurate information which will help you arm yourself for your next doctor's visit.

1 cup oatmeal.
    2 tsp light brown sugar
    prepared the old fashioned way.

Two large sections of pineapple.

Salad has greens, black olives, 1 tsp of bleu cheese crumbles, 1 tsp of cranberries.
    1 tbs of honey french dressing on the side.

I don't eat fries.

No, I am not opening up my diary because people will be rude and mention every time I ate something questionable...like a piece of fried fish or something...or a Russel Stover egg.

What you wouldn't find would be cheeseburgers, fries, and junk like that.
  • sunshinesoprano
    Options

Really?

DO NOT JUDGE.

You do come off sounding a little defensive; like, you want people to know that you're not a 'grossly fat person' and still have a '37 inch waist'. None of that really matters, because no one's trying to judge you on your appearance, your weight, your diet, your activity level, anything. People are just trying to help you find possible reasons for your weight-loss stall.

A two-year plateau is not a plateau -- it is maintenance, and it means you are eating at a maintenance level. I am not sure how you could eat strictly 1200 calories a day for two years and maintain at 230 pounds, even taking into account the possibility of some sort of physiological issue (which I assume you have been tested for). You might be eating more than you think. People have given you great suggestions to prepare your own meals and weight everything you make, and I have to agree.

Considering I was almost 300 lbs, I am pretty proud of my 37 inch waist.
  • LloydSev
    LloydSev Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Personally, I recommend using a device such as a FitBit or BodyMedia Fit (The old BodyBugg you saw on Biggest Loser). This device will let you track your metabolism within a small margin of error. From there you can develop proper meal eating plans with deficits that are more accurate than estimates.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Here is what I would do.

Start fresh. Forget the last 3 years. You've been at/around the same weight for 2 years. Start from today as if it was the first time you are beginning a life style change. Figure out your TDEE and go from there. I don't think 1200 was the right # for you EVER.

Last year from January - May I lost 25 pounds...and gained 10 back and maintained there until this January. This year I started over, at my new weight. Forget that I've already lost 15 pounds, that's old news. I started by using FRESH MFP values and decided to go the TDEE route instead because I didn't want to have to change my calories depending on if I worked out today or not.

I stopped eating out. I love eating out. What's better than having someone else cook and clean for me! LOL
    I bought a food scale
    I weigh and measure everything - guessing doesn't work

My husband works in college food service for a company like Aramark (Sodexo) and yes, they have recipes that the chefs follow, but depending on who scoops the food or who cuts the portions they aren't going to be what they list on the menu. Also, they do substitute ingredients without telling people if they are out of a product they need. You never know the exact portion of food you are getting from a restaurant. Human error plays a big role in portion size. How are you measuring things at the salad bar?

BTW - I would never discuss anything other than reproduction or lady parts with my OBGYN - get a general practitioner too.