Ephedrine?

Options

Replies

• Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Now not available in the UK for the simple reason it can kill you! Don't go there!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Well, I always see body builders talk about using this (Ephedrine, caffeine and aspirin stacks) to help with fat loss when things get really tough (like you can't really cut anymore). It just seemed like something too good to pass up.
    Being a former competitive bodybuilder, I'll tell you up front that most very competitive bodybuilders use just more than ephedrine to cut up. They use several drugs (anabolics, insulin, diruetics, anti aromatase inhibitors, clen, and much more) to get to ultra cut statis.
    Keep in mind they are already close to 10% or less even before touching any "fat loss" pills to get to 7% and under.
    If you're more than 10%, ephedrine won't do much for you. It's a "last touch" approach and shouldn't be bothered with from people who don't compete.
    Quit being lazy and get your *kitten* to work if you want to lower body fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • donny612
    donny612 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've never heard anything good about that stuff. There is a reason they no longer market that stuff in this country !!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    stimulants do help with fat loss tho, so im not sure where you got that info from. also caffeine is a stimulant, and one of the most recommended ones for fat loss at that
    Stimulants may reduce someone's appetite, but they aren't directly a source of more fat loss. If someone ate at maintenance and took stimulants with no physical activity, they'd be more awake and alert, but the extra calorie burn would be negligable.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I used it in college (when it was legal) to stay up all night writing term papers. I subsequently had a lot of heart problems and still need to take something to slow it down 14 years later. I'm pretty sure it was banned for good reason.

PS: I did make the Dean's List every semester!
    Correlation =/= causation. You might have had heart issues whether you took it or not.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    On a personal note and from my own research, ephedrine if used in proper dosage (and having no health history with it's use) and applied to the right people who need help with that last little bit, should be okay.
    The banning of it was a reactive response because of a few idiots using it incorrectly. I don't think it's as dangerous as it's being touted as, but dosage does make a difference and many disregard it if weight seems to come off faster. As mentioned it's the abuse of it that causes most issues, just like any other OTC.

IDEA Fitness member
  • cassie4animals
    cassie4animals Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I took it when it was legal and didn't have any issues, but I was following the instructions and taking only the recommended dosage. Also had to get off ephedra every so often, take a 2-4 week break, and then resume if needed.

It's not legal now though, so maybe skip it and try something else. ;)
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I used it in college (when it was legal) to stay up all night writing term papers. I subsequently had a lot of heart problems and still need to take something to slow it down 14 years later. I'm pretty sure it was banned for good reason.

PS: I did make the Dean's List every semester!
    Correlation =/= causation. You might have had heart issues whether you took it or not.

I'm aware. Was just joining in conversation. :bigsmile:
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Pharmacy Intern here,

Yes, Ephedrine can marginally increase fat loss. However, there are MANY contraindications, especially for those with hypertension, atherosclerosis, high cholesterol, heart issues, and much much more. I would highly caution against using it for that use. If you do, make sure you are not taking more than the box recommends, and not for a prolonged period of time. You can develop some pretty serious adverse effects with long term abuse/use
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine can't be marketed for fat loss in the US but it can still be purchased through other means. Do any of you have experience with using this? What does it do? Is it a strong stimulant that is basically like a big dose of caffeine? I know that it has to be used in conjunction with intense exercise. Body builders seem to use various ephedrine stacks before a competition to help lose more body fat from what I know.

I'm thinking of trying to get ephedrine some time in the future but want to see if any of you have real experience with it.
    Years ago I took a weight loss product with ephedrine in it. My heart beat really fast all the time, I was sweaty, shaky, and I basically felt like what some have described as being on speed. I ate as much as I wanted without calorie counting and still lost weight.

When I stopped using I went through withdrawals and I gained all my weight back. Same thing happened to my friends who were taking it too.

The fact that it can't be marketed in the US is clue enough to not buy it through any means at all.

Please choose NOT to buy it by any means and make a conscious choice to lose weight through healthy means.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    When I feel a food craving come on I stick myself with 5 EpiPens.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    It used to be sold over the counter here. It has a similar effect to speed, from what I understand. I tried it a few times and had a TON of energy. I stopped because over time you'll build up a resistance to it, and because it's addictive you'll try to take more and more and a lot of overdoses happened which ended in it being prescription only here (or maybe banned - I'm not entirely sure).
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Be CAREFUL. Like a lot of things, it's good in the proper dose for the proper thing, but fat loss isn't one of them. It shouldn't be used by anyone with heart conditions without medical supervision.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Be CAREFUL. Like a lot of things, it's good in the proper dose for the proper thing, but fat loss isn't one of them. It shouldn't be used by anyone with heart conditions without medical supervision.

Do you even science? There is no evidence of its efficacy for fat loss?
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Ephedra:

ephedra2386L.jpg

Ephedrine:

0192801015.ephedrine.1.jpg

Hell and high water...Argument "ad natura" is silly. Plants contain millions of chemicals, some of them with therapeutic use. We just have discovered that it's sometimes cheaper and "purer" (as in chemical composition) to obtain synthetically.

Aspirin was originally extracted from willow bark... now is synthesized (cheaper).
    Caffeine can be extracted from coffee (that's how you get decaf - by removing it with an organic solvent or more recently supercritical water). But it can also be synthesized from urea. The horror!
    Penicillium is still harvested from mold :) we haven't found a cheaper way than to "grow" it.

The active ingredients are mostly the same. Ephedrine is indeed the active ingredient in ephedra (the plant). Ephedra contains other alkaloids, especially those isomers or close relatives to ephedrine like norephedrine, and their dextro/levo rotating versions (basically, mirror images of the molecule, which has an effect on how it will affect your body. For those that liked Breaking Bad, you'll remember there are two types of finished meth - one is more psychoactive than the other and why Mr. White was so successful).

Taking ephedrine is "simpler" than making an ephedra infusion or tea, simply because the damned pill comes dosed. The plants don't so you keep guessing. if you want 200 mg of caffeine with paracetamol for your headache, it's simpler to buy the pills than to guess if you need one or 3 espresso shots in your mocha latte.

So don't be scared of "chemicals". They are in fricking everywhere. :)
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    The fact that it can't be marketed in the US is clue enough to not buy it through any means at all.

Please choose NOT to buy it by any means and make a conscious choice to lose weight through healthy means.
    I find it offensive that people think I'm just searching for some pill to eat and then continue to sit on the couch. I've lost a lot of weight by calorie counting, diet changes and exercise. I've hit a plateau and was considering supplements to help me get over this hump to reach my goal weight (10-15lb away).
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Hoodia is best fo weightloss and natural
  • GreatDepression
    GreatDepression Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    ^ Is this a troll post? I remember hoodia was advertised all over the internet a couple years ago. That one just shouted "doesn't really do much" to me with its outrageous claims.