Why in the world would a guy wear jeans at the gym???

Options

Replies

• Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    What seems uncomfortable to you might actually be comfortable to the person wearing it.

I don't really pay much attention to what people are wearing. Sure sometimes I'll see someone wearing regular work clothes and walking on the treadmill and while yeah, it's a little weird, I don't spend a ton of time thinking about it because in the end their clothing options don't really effect me or my workout.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    my best guess is that he likes the attention/looks he gets from looking out of place lol

Like attention *kitten* that wear ties while sitting on motorcycles. Those guys are the worst.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Bookmarking this thread for the next time someone tells us no one is judging us when we are at the gym.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    Bookmarking this thread for the next time someone tells us no one is judging us when we are at the gym.

You don't need to bookmark it. Someone posts similar crap on a regular basis.
  • Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    Options

You don't need to bookmark it. Someone posts similar crap on a regular basis.
    Indeed!
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Each one should concentrate on their own workout and let people do what they want to do including let them wear what they want to wear.

OP is no different than Planet Fitness policy ....
    OK, seriously. None of you notice others at all in the gym? You walk around with your eyes closed? And you never think, "Well, that's unusual"? Ever?

I guess you're all better than the rest of us.

The OP isn't judging. She finds the attire unusual (and it is). That's all.

Believe it or not ... I care least. Your personality =/= my personality. Am I correct when I say that? Be honest here.

Why would I care if anyone comes dressed in jeans and jumps on treadmill?There is nothing right or wrong about anything in this world. - my mantra.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My observation while revisiting this thread:

Some people really don't like other people making observations.

I saw a cloud yesterday that looked like a dinosaur. I thought it was strange.

Luckily for this thread, I've realized that I need to ask myself, 'Why do I even care what the clouds are doing in the sky?" and that I need to mind my own business. Or that I really need to just focus on my walk and if I happen to notice something, try to force it from my mind lest I be making a *gasp* observation of the world around me.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Some people are just clueless.

But I do give him props for at least showing up at the gym!

Yeah, and I just quoted one of them.

If he's fit, then why don't you watch and learn?

I am very comfortable in jeans and would gladly wear them to the gym if I forgot my workout clothes. He was probably wearing shorts because he remembered his gym bag and/or was working legs that day.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Good idea. I mean I could care less personally if someone is monitoring everything I do at a gym. I usually go with the weirdest attires because I don't have "workout" clothing (yet), so I might get weird looks, who knows. I just go to do my workouts. I still find it hard to believe that some people go to the gym and actually notice what everyone else is doing (unless they are using the machine that I want to use lol).

Judging over clothing... LOL
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Each one should concentrate on their own workout and let people do what they want to do including let them wear what they want to wear.

But what if they want to do is judge people in jeans?

Sure if that's what they are paying the gym membership for.... LOL!!!

Maybe the calorie burn is high or something. I bet they get EXTREME results if they tie it together with a vibration plate or a mini trampoline
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

OK, seriously. None of you notice others at all in the gym? You walk around with your eyes closed? And you never think, "Well, that's unusual"? Ever?

I guess you're all better than the rest of us.

The OP isn't judging. She finds the attire unusual (and it is). That's all.

Believe it or not ... I care least. Your personality =/= my personality. Am I correct when I say that? Be honest here.

Why would I care if anyone comes dressed in jeans and jumps on treadmill?There is nothing right or wrong about anything in this world. - my mantra.
    I didn't say it was right or wrong. I said it is unusual. It is out of place in the environment. If you work in a professional office setting and someone comes into work wearing the kind of clothes you'd usually see in a gym, you're going to notice. If you go to a formal event and someone is in jeans or shorts and everyone else is in dressy clothing, you're going to notice. If it's 95 degrees outside and 100% humidity and you see someone in a hoodie, jeans and boots, you're going to notice. It's out of place and odd.

I guess the OP and I (and others like us) should apologize for having eyes. *shrug*

Or better yet -- in a room full of white cats, you're going to notice the one black one and wonder why it's there.
  • sjohnny
    Options

Luckily for this thread, I've realized that I need to ask myself, 'Why do I even care what the clouds are doing in the sky?" and that I need to mind my own business. Or that I really need to just focus on my walk and if I happen to notice something, try to force it from my mind lest I be making a *gasp* observation of the world around me.

You learned the wrong lesson. What you should have realized is that you needed to come on MFP and make some BS thread about a weird cloud.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    gees... I hope other people don't sit around and think stuff like this about me & my unusual choices. Granted I don't wear jeans at the gym, but still. To each their own- leave it be it's his personal choice. Maybe he is coming from work or maybe he can only afford those one pair of pants... or maybe the dude knows he looks fantastic and wants to show it off in his own way. I could only imagine how much a comment would disrupt his workout and comfortableness in the gym.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

You learned the wrong lesson. What you should have realized is that you needed to come on MFP and make some BS thread about a weird cloud.

It is a silly thread and probably should have been in the chit chat section but as far as BS threads on MFP are concerned, this one didn't rank too high. However, the odd sensitivity to an observation without any negative associations placed on that observation, does rank rather high.
  • FraggleRockerFitnessLover
    Options
    Why is the sky blue?
    Why is cheese amazing?
    Why is the grass green?

Who cares...
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Maybe he forgot his clothes or because jeans aren't as flexible as workout clothes they force him to maintain form and work harder.
  • Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    Options
    Hoes be jealous of my workout attire!
    7dPoukr.gif
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I might notice what someone else is wearing and might think, huh, okay. But I don't dress them, or know their situation. Workout clothes can be a bit pricey. Maybe it's all they have. I saw a Muslim lady in full head to toe gear with sweat pants on underneath...did I care? No. I noticed it and went back to focusing on my own workout.

I don't mean this to sound mean, but who really cares what any one else is wearing to the gym or outside of the gym? Is there a fashion police I'm not aware of?

My gym has signs up all over that say put the weights back, yet I get there every Mon/Wed/Fri and weights are everywhere. I could get mad about this, I could go talk to the gym staff, but I'm not trying to waste my time. Plus, I look at it as an added workout for me. I'll actually clean up other areas in between sets.

You can spend your time focusing on other people or spend your time in the gym focusing on yourself and your own workout. When I'm there I have a limited amount of time and that time is about to get shorter.

Just focus on you. Not saying you can't notice what someone else is wearing, but why make a thread about this? You could have posted this on your news feed and talked to your friends about this. You probably wouldn't get such a backlash about it.
  • FraggleRockerFitnessLover
    Options
    Hoes be jealous of my workout attire!
    7dPoukr.gif

OMG This made me LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I would think that would be god awful uncomfortable - but hey to each is own!