I JUST WANT SOME CHOCOLAAAAAATE

Options

Replies

• CodyLun
    CodyLun Posts: 1
    Options
    Instead of Losing weight you will gain more weight quickly by in taking chocolates

http://nyshealth-ceic.com/category/weight-loss-tips/
  • TimElwis
    TimElwis Posts: 56
    Options
    I want caramel fudge ice cream. :sad:
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Instead of Losing weight you will gain more weight quickly by in taking chocolates

http://nyshealth-ceic.com/category/weight-loss-tips/

:indifferent:
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Also, to all the people in here saying, "Just eat chocolate" -- isn't that kind of a defeatist attitude in a forum called General Diet and Weight LOSS Help?

I am on a chocolate diet.

I get to eat chocolate AND loss weight. :3
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    This thread made me really sad on two or three different levels.
  • ritan7471
    ritan7471 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Dudes, just have a small piece of chocolate. A Dove Promise is 44 calories, what's the big deal?
    You're right, there's nothing inherently wrong with eating a small piece of chocolate, if you just eat the one piece and that's it. However, hear out my logic for why you shouldn't eat it right now.

Of course cheats are okay. We'd probably go insane without them. But a cheat shouldn't be used as a flimsy justification to give up on the thing you're trying to accomplish (presumably weight loss). The cheat should be a reward, a treat for yourself, something you EARN. If you just give up and have a "cheat" every time your willpower is low, you'll never get to where you want to be. If you can get through tonight with no chocolate, that's a win for you. If tomorrow you eat nice and clean and maybe do a workout, then REWARD yourself with the chocolate.

Does that make sense?

Something that fits into your calorie and macro goals is by definition, NOT a "cheat".

I agree with this. Viewing a piece of chocolate as a "cheat" to me is a defeatist attitude. To me it says that my relationship with food must be always that many, many foods are off limits and eating even one bite is cheating. I can't live like that forever, and I have to find an eating plan I can live with forever.
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Also, to all the people in here saying, "Just eat chocolate" -- isn't that kind of a defeatist attitude in a forum called General Diet and Weight LOSS Help?

Yup.

Here's the thing - if you want chocolate for any reason other than simply because you want to have a piece of chocolate the problem runs quite a bit deeper than you probably realize. Food is for fuel and for the pleasure of the food itself. If you crave chocolate as an antidote to stress, or as a reward or comfort then your relationship with food is off kilter.

Think of it this way - if you were saying "I WANT HEROIN!!!" would anyone be telling you to just have a little heroin? I doubt it. And yet sweet, salty and fatty foods - typical treats - trigger the exact same pleasure centers in the brain that are triggered by narcotics.

Does that mean you can never have chocolate again? Probably not. But if eating a piece of chocolate triggers a cascade of poor choices to follow or excessive indulgence then you might be someone, like me, who has to limit or eliminate your exposure to those foods in order to reprogram your brain to seek reward and comfort from things that are not food.

-Tex

KPP
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Yup.

Here's the thing - if you want chocolate for any reason other than simply because you want to have a piece of chocolate the problem runs quite a bit deeper than you probably realize. Food is for fuel and for the pleasure of the food itself. If you crave chocolate as an antidote to stress, or as a reward or comfort then your relationship with food is off kilter.

Think of it this way - if you were saying "I WANT HEROIN!!!" would anyone be telling you to just have a little heroin? I doubt it. And yet sweet, salty and fatty foods - typical treats - trigger the exact same pleasure centers in the brain that are triggered by narcotics.

Does that mean you can never have chocolate again? Probably not. But if eating a piece of chocolate triggers a cascade of poor choices to follow or excessive indulgence then you might be someone, like me, who has to limit or eliminate your exposure to those foods in order to reprogram your brain to seek reward and comfort from things that are not food.

-Tex

KPP

Facepalm
  • texstorm
    texstorm Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Something that fits into your calorie and macro goals is by definition, NOT a "cheat".

I agree with this. Viewing a piece of chocolate as a "cheat" to me is a defeatist attitude. To me it says that my relationship with food must be always that many, many foods are off limits and eating even one bite is cheating. I can't live like that forever, and I have to find an eating plan I can live with forever.
    [/quote]

Yes, this is true. I don't "cheat" because that implies that I'm doing something bad. There is nothing inherently bad, from a nutritional standpoint, with treats. Chocolate (provided it's actual chocolate and not that filth Hershey's sells) is a lovely food. But it is a treat, not a staple.

Having a treat every now and then is fine. But if when you shop a portion of your cart is always occupied by candy, chips, cakes, cookies, etc. then you've turned these into staple items in your pantry, and if you stock up on them, you will eat them more often than you should. The primary difference between the way our parents ate and the way we do now is that our parents had cake if someone was having a birthday, or some other special occasion. Even as a kid candy came into the house on Easter and Halloween, and pretty much never any other time. A trip to the ice cream shop was a big deal, and I have fond, fond memories of those trips from my childhood. Today there are whole segments of your average major grocery store that are full of nothing but items our parents would have considered occasional purchases.

In my childhood my step-father worked for a company that did computer support for Pepsi-Co. He did an assignment at one of their bottling plants to rescue a database that had gotten corrupted in their accounting and inventory system. They were so grateful for his efforts to solve their problem that they sent him home one night with four flats of soda. Those four flats lasted us over a year because soda wasn't something we commonly drank. If we hadn't had a big 4th of July party that year I bet those flats would have lasted over two years. The last time I was at the market there was a woman in line in front of me who had four twelve-packs of soda in her cart. My mother would never have bought that. She would have seen it as a waste of money and bad for us, which it completely was and is.

My point is that the fundamental relationship towards food that most people have today is very broken. My parents told me when I was a kid, "You are what you eat." That's pretty spot-on wisdom. Your body needs food for fuel and raw material to repair and replaced damaged and worn-out tissue (also to synthesize hormones). Your diet ought to be mostly composed of things your body can use for these purposes in an obvious way. If you eat a chicken breast your body will take the protein from it and rebuild some muscles, connective tissues and organs with it. It will take the fat from it and use that to synthesize hormones from it, dissolve some vitamins (A, D, E and K, specifically) with it, and store a little for long term fuel. As Louis CK said in one of his comedy bits, if you eat a donut what the heck is your body going to make out of that, other than fat. Now if you confine yourself to one donut, probably no harm done. A little quick fuel from the simple carbohydrates. Eat four donuts though and basically you have left your body no choice but to build up some body fat.

Yeah, have a treat, but don't make a meal out of it. And don't do it all the time. It's called a treat because it's supposed to be special.

-Tex

KPP
  • Jass_C
    Jass_C Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Haha! id like to lose 25-30 lbs in 100 days for a wedding and chocolate is my only weakness! so well done for resisting it! I'm just cutting it out altogether.
    Sugar=FAT!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    peace out ya'll, i'm off to go to work so i can post gifs on someone's thread so i can be an *kitten* too!

You must be new. Give it a few months and you'll be doing it too. ;)

Why though? Why can't people just help each other instead of putting them down? Never understood it...

wow really how is telling you chocolate isn't bad and you can eat it everyday day if it fits in your goals not helping and makes people *kitten*????

I eat chocolate everynight...everynight....and I will continue and it hasn't hampered my weight loss...hell I od'd on it Saturday night and still had 200 calories left after eating a 700 calorie breakfast and pizza for dinner...

Jeez...hangry folks
  • asia52189
    asia52189 Posts: 1
    Options
    when I am craving chocolate I have a protein bar :) as long as it within your diet limits.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    peace out ya'll, i'm off to go to work so i can post gifs on someone's thread so i can be an *kitten* too!

You must be new. Give it a few months and you'll be doing it too. ;)

Why though? Why can't people just help each other instead of putting them down? Never understood it...

The thing to remember is that you don't "own" the thread, you just posted something on a public forum. What happens after that depends on the vagaries of who reads and who responds. You don't get to control other posters
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    UNEh2M3.jpg

Craving guide, this is priceless information. But it can be yours for $19.95 plus $2.50 S&H.

AHAHAHAHA...... CRACKED ME UP THIS ONE! genius! bourbon to ease up broccoli cravings! ahahahaaaa.... just classic!

to the OP.... NO DONT EAT CHOCOLATE YET COZ YOU STILL HAVE some serious lbs. to lose, i dont mean that to offend what i meant is your foundation is still weak to go astray now, but for some people on this thread who's already been strong thru the challenges of hungry fangs, i salute you for being able to find the right balance for your lifestyle.... IIFYM/ FLEXIBLE DIETING ALL THE WAY! ;)
  • joan23_us
    joan23_us Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Haha! id like to lose 25-30 lbs in 100 days for a wedding and chocolate is my only weakness! so well done for resisting it! I'm just cutting it out altogether.
    Sugar=FAT!

TOOOOOO MUCH SUGAR = STORED ENERGY = FAT ;P
  • Blair2374
    Blair2374 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Have it(singular)
    Log it
    Work it off!

Good luck

Good advice :)
  • karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I just ate mine.

Having said that, it was the chocolate I got for Easter, I split it into 30g bags and I still have 3 bags left out of the 3 Rabbits I got.

So I call that a victory, who knew Easter could last a month!

Woohoo. And I still have calories to spare.

Thank you 12,000 steps today :P
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I had chocolate last night. I do not use food as a reward, because I am not a dog.

tumblr_inline_mntpk4lVa81qz4rgp.gif
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Sugar=FAT!

TOOOOOO MUCH FOOD= STORED ENERGY = FAT ;P

FIFY
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Dudes, just have a small piece of chocolate. A Dove Promise is 44 calories, what's the big deal?
    You're right, there's nothing inherently wrong with eating a small piece of chocolate, if you just eat the one piece and that's it. However, hear out my logic for why you shouldn't eat it right now.

Of course cheats are okay. We'd probably go insane without them. But a cheat shouldn't be used as a flimsy justification to give up on the thing you're trying to accomplish (presumably weight loss). The cheat should be a reward, a treat for yourself, something you EARN. If you just give up and have a "cheat" every time your willpower is low, you'll never get to where you want to be. If you can get through tonight with no chocolate, that's a win for you. If tomorrow you eat nice and clean and maybe do a workout, then REWARD yourself with the chocolate.

Does that make sense?
    It's 44 calories., Would you be advising the OP to avoid 44 calories of tofu, or banana?