It should be required by federal law...

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

How does the government know?

OPs point is, government can make them tell us.

Please stay away from my chef owned and operated restaurants. Some of us manage to stay fit and healthy without stressing over every damn ingredient. I love the, "hey I haven't paid any attention to my health in decades but now I care so I have to know everything" mentality on here.

seriously, I go down the road to a locally owned sushi/seafood place at least once a week and they do not post their nutritional information and it has not happened my progress one bit...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm astonished at the number of Americans who not only want fewer rights and protections, they want to throw out the ones their predecessors fought so hard to attain, too. They also tend to be the same Americans who don't know how to debate but instead make personal attacks.

Really??? There was a war fought for nutritional information to be provided by every restaurant???

YIKES! I must have slept through that history class.

you don't remember patrick henry's lest famous pamphlet…"Give me nutritional information, or give me death"….I also recall that federalist paper number 69 was titled "the inalienable right of the american people to have nutritional information posted at every tavern and restaurant"….
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The costs of having food so perfectly measured, processed, and analyzed in the lab would completely destroy the restaurant business.

Plus, it would destroy the joys of eating out, as cooks wouldn't be able to quickly innovated new dishes. Their hands would be rigidly tied, and they'd have to use robots or something to cook, in order to get everything within an extremely narrow standard. Hell with that noise.

Fast food on the other hand is practically produced by machines already. Totally different story. Real restaurants shouldn't be held to same standards as fast food....or to the same standard as frozen hot pockets either.
  • Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    Options

We don't want to compete with foreigners who have no worker rights and no environmental laws. We'd be fools to want to, since competing means ending up with the same lack of protections.

But thanks for trying to spin me as a racist. You've shown you aren't capable of civil discussion. Back on ignore you go.

LOL yes China which I imagine you were referring to is indeed the world largest polluter followed by America.

China % of worlds emissions 26.43%
    United States % of worlds emissions 17.33%

But look at the population differences.

1.351 billion (2012)
    313.9 million (2012)

Per capita America is doing terribly in comparison.

Not that I am pointing fingers but these environmental laws that you refer to don't seem to be having a significant impact on lowering your emissions.

Don't get me wrong I love America but your logic is terribly flawed and ironically the computer, laptop, tablet etc you are typing on was probably produced in china so are you that concerned about workers rights? are you currently fighting for these peoples rights? I doubt it but you no doubt broached the subject as a intellectual wank as it were.

I see you are another person who likes to blame others.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

How does the government know?

OPs point is, government can make them tell us.

Please stay away from my chef owned and operated restaurants. Some of us manage to stay fit and healthy without stressing over every damn ingredient. I love the, "hey I haven't paid any attention to my health in decades but now I care so I have to know everything" mentality on here.

seriously, I go down the road to a locally owned sushi/seafood place at least once a week and they do not post their nutritional information and it has not happened my progress one bit...

OMG! Do you know that there's white rice in sushi? WHITE rice? That stuff will kill you . . .
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,911 Member
    Options
    The costs of having food so perfectly measured, processed, and analyzed in the lab would completely destroy the restaurant business.

Plus, it would destroy the joys of eating out, as cooks wouldn't be able to quickly innovated new dishes. Their hands would be rigidly tied, and they'd have to use robots or something to cook, in order to get everything within an extremely narrow standard. Hell with that noise.

Fast food on the other hand is practically produced by machines already. Totally different story. Real restaurants shouldn't be held to same standards as fast food....or to the same standard as frozen hot pockets either.
    Well, there is that. Of course we could just remove freshly made and a la minute cooking from all restaurants.....that would probably work, right.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I'm astonished at the number of Americans who not only want fewer rights and protections, they want to throw out the ones their predecessors fought so hard to attain, too. They also tend to be the same Americans who don't know how to debate but instead make personal attacks.

Really??? There was a war fought for nutritional information to be provided by every restaurant???

YIKES! I must have slept through that history class.

you don't remember patrick henry's lest famous pamphlet…"Give me nutritional information, or give me death"….I also recall that federalist paper number 69 was titled "the inalienable right of the american people to have nutritional information posted at every tavern and restaurant"….

I think we should lobby for our 1st Amendment to be modified to include..."the right to nutritional information by all restaurants".

Now that I think about it...didn't Lincoln address "nutritional information" in his address?

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Nutritional Information and dedicated to the proposition that all restaurants will provide it.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    no…

if restaurants want to that is fine ..and if they do not, then you as a consume have the option not to spend your money there ..

You are being totally unreasonable. You are trying to force people to be responsible and make decisions. Now stop it!
  • karmac0matic
    karmac0matic Posts: 285
    Options
    if mcdonalds can do it why can't everyoneeee elseeeee.

i know it drives me crazy going out to restaurants and having to pull out my phone as my meal comes so i can make sure to list everything on my plate! haha. but that's life and sometimes ya gotta just work to make it work.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I don't think it should be mandated, I just hate over-regulation, but I do think the restaurant that does it has a much better chance of getting my business.

If not, I will stay home and cook what I know the nutrtion content for.
  • spsanderson
    spsanderson Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree, but I know they don't want to do it, because the nutrition is non-existent. For example my wife and I went to Chilis this past Friday and my Basic Bacon burger and fries had more sodium in it then my day allows for. My day calls for 2500mg of sodium, my dinner had 3600mg, 50% more then desired, if people really knew what was in the dinner, my guess is many might stop, but then again the calories are on there so maybe not, the only reason we went is because we were given a gift card otherwise, forget it!

Regulation is a tricky thing, supposedly this country was built on getting away from over-regulation, yet at the same time, the horrid nutritional content of restaurants causes all sorts of problems whereby the medical cost is picked up by the taxpayer via medicare, which pays half of all health care expenditures in the US. Many older people with congestive heart failure will go out to eat once in a while for their date night and end up in the ER because of the sodium content, but the restaurant has no incentive to change because their is a line out the door.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options

If it matters to you that much, then cook at home. Lazy people always want to make their problems everyone else's problems.

+1 Yeap
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I agree, but I know they don't want to do it, because the nutrition is non-existent. For example my wife and I went to Chilis this past Friday and my Basic Bacon burger and fries had more sodium in it then my day allows for. My day calls for 2500mg of sodium, my dinner had 3600mg, 50% more then desired, if people really knew what was in the dinner, my guess is many might stop, but then again the calories are on there so maybe not, the only reason we went is because we were given a gift card otherwise, forget it!

Regulation is a tricky thing, supposedly this country was built on getting away from over-regulation, yet at the same time, the horrid nutritional content of restaurants causes all sorts of problems whereby the medical cost is picked up by the taxpayer via medicare, which pays half of all health care expenditures in the US. Many older people with congestive heart failure will go out to eat once in a while for their date night and end up in the ER because of the sodium content, but the restaurant has no incentive to change because their is a line out the door.

If you think/know that restaurant food is so C**P - DON'T GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO . F.F.S Cook your own food and stop whining.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    If a company makes over a million dollars a year in profit, requiring it to list nutrition information for customers is no different than requiring a worker who makes a certain amount of money to work overtime without getting overtime pay.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I may have a stronger opinion if I didn't think the nutritional information is at best a very rough guess anyway. There's just too much variation in who is making the meals. There are basically no restaurant meals that I can eat that I can make fit into my daily life, so I just keep going out to eat to an every once in a while thing and try to eat lightly for the other meals that day because I know there's just no way I'm going to know for sure how many calories are in my meal (other than a lot.)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,520 Member
    Options
    It's done here in California.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It's done in parts of Maryland but not in Virginia. And it's only done for fast food or chain restaurants.

or... you could download the MyFitnessPal app. (shrug)
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I thought this was required! Come to think of it, I don't remember reading any allergen labels on deli food - couldn't that pose a serious problem, or am I simply not remembering because I was busy eating popcorn shrimp from Wal-Mart? :P
  • OhioTallGuy
    OhioTallGuy Posts: 82
    Options
    Do I like when a restaurant has the nutritional information YES, do I think we need the government mandating yet another area of our lives NO! One meal isn't making a difference estimate what you had and move on, and if you are so worried about it don't go out to eat at that establishment.

I so agree with this! ^^^
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's done here in California.

... only in chain restuarants with more than 20 locations. I was there last week and most places I went did not have it.

But in for the coddling with the information dump that most people will ignore. In California every single restaurant had a carcinogen warning and the end result is a popluation of inured people.