What is with those 400 cal breakfasts?

Options
1235»

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Love that saying! Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a price and dinner like a pauper! My breakfast are always between 300-400 cals! Plus on days I do hiit fasted cardio I eat a little more for breakfast! Like this morning after my fasted cardio I had steel cut oats with cinnamon vanilla homemade unsalted almond butter and black berries and a veggie egg white omelette on the side! Made with 12 tbsp liquid egg whites leftover roasted cauliflower and grilled eggplant :)

Feel free to add me as well :D

I also have a food scale, and get made fun of for it...but hey it works and we shouldn't care what others thing anyway!

This thread was over 2 years old.....
  • Blair2374
    Blair2374 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    ekkkk I'm pretty surprised by the amount of calories people consume at breakfast. My target is 1200 a day so I have between 200-300 for breakfast. I didn't used to eat breakfast at all so now it's 2 Weetabix with a banana or a fruit salad or 2 boiled eggs and 1 round of toast.

The weekend..... well I have a lot more!!!
  • Blair2374
    Blair2374 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Love that saying! Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a price and dinner like a pauper! My breakfast are always between 300-400 cals! Plus on days I do hiit fasted cardio I eat a little more for breakfast! Like this morning after my fasted cardio I had steel cut oats with cinnamon vanilla homemade unsalted almond butter and black berries and a veggie egg white omelette on the side! Made with 12 tbsp liquid egg whites leftover roasted cauliflower and grilled eggplant :)

Feel free to add me as well :D

I also have a food scale, and get made fun of for it...but hey it works and we shouldn't care what others thing anyway!

This thread was over 2 years old.....

Still interesting and relevant to newbies :)
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is usually between 350 and 400 or so. Granola and peanut butter and either an apple or a banana. I eat it throughout the morning at work, and it keeps my full until my post-work workout when I get around to lunch at 2 or 3 pm. It's surprising how full you can get from a ~400 calorie breakfast, if you pick the right foods!
  • MsMaryMac48
    MsMaryMac48 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So True! My breakfast of choice is two poached eggs and one double fiber english muffin with one wedge of laughing cow cheese. 140+120+35= 285 calories and I have a winner for me. But then I am one of those that eats a morning snack about three hours after breakfast. Usually fruit and greek yogurt.
    Normally people who are starving after big breakfast went the Carb heavy breakfast which doesn't help with hunger as much as protein leaning breakfast.
  • MsMaryMac48
    Options
    If you are exercising at all you can increase your calorie intake. I have been on 1200 calories in the past and I always broke down my calories by meals so that breakfast was 400 cals and lunch and dinner were 300 calories with two 100 calorie snacks in between. But with exercise you can increase your overall calorie intake. It's all about finding what works and sticking with it. I like to have a few options to choose from so I don't get bored eating the same thing everyday. Sounds like you have that down to a science!!
    ekkkk I'm pretty surprised by the amount of calories people consume at breakfast. My target is 1200 a day so I have between 200-300 for breakfast. I didn't used to eat breakfast at all so now it's 2 Weetabix with a banana or a fruit salad or 2 boiled eggs and 1 round of toast.

The weekend..... well I have a lot more!!!
  • MsMaryMac48
    Options
    Green smoothie is another favorite of mine. 2c. spinach, about eight whole frozen strawberries, a frozen banana, 1 c. almond milk, 1/2 c. water, 1 scoop protein powder, and a handful of ice cubes. PULVERIZE THAT SUCKER and yumm-O!

quote]
    Loving these breakfast ideas! I am a protein-in-the-morning kind of girl, too.

Has anyone pre-made any of their breakfast sandwiches and frozen them?

Everyone in our family doesn't get hungry for a good hour after getting up, so we all eat during our 20 minute commute to work/school.
    I like being able to just heat up something on the way out the door.

I wonder what the eggs would taste like, pre-cooked, put on a English muffin with some cheese and frozen? I know it wouldn't be as good as fresh...

And the green smoothie? What's in that? Got any good recipes?
    [/quote]
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I like the enthusiasm in your post.

I regularly eat breakfasts between 170-240 calories and they satisfy me and help me to meet my goals here. I know that's rather low so I'm not trying to promote such low cal breakfasts for others here...but I am set to sedentary and eat far more calories at lunch and dinner.

Just today I had a yummy, very filling breakfast for around 230 calories...slice of wheat toast, fried egg, and a ton of cantaloupe alongside my cup of coffee with almond milk. So good!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I eat more breakfast on the weekends. I have time then. The only time my breakfast during the week is above even 300 calories is when I have time to make a smoothie. It works for me, though, because I like my calories at night.
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, absolutely love breakfast. Today was whole wheat bagel, and egg whites. All natural peanut butter on 1/2 of bagel, and strawberry cream cheese on the other 1/2. And, coffee of course. 300 cals in all.
  • PLAID1977
    PLAID1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the person and what they like/prefer. I am a peckish eater. There is no way I could eat 400 Cal in Breakfast. I like small meals, and I snack throughout the day. I have about 150 Cals for Breakfast and I am never starving and I have been successful in my weight loss. I think it all comes down to each person.

I agree! Each person is different! If I eat breakfast especially at a typical breakfast time, I find I am hungrier all morning. It doesn't matter if I have eaten eggs or fruit or oatmeal. I'll be hungrier. I made that mistake today and I'm paying for it!

I am much better off having only coffee for breakfast with MAYBE a piece of fruit an hour later, then waiting till lunchtime to eat anything of substance.

Now if I eat a big protein-packed brunch, like an omelet etc...closer to lunch time, then I can be satisfied till dinner. It's much more about timing for me. Once I've "broken the seal" I'm more likely to want to eat.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Mmmm I love a big breakfast!!!

Mine normally consists of porridge oats hot with crunchy peanut butter........All mixed in!!

Mouth heaven!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    400 calories is a decent dessert or snack, but I would be having "second breakfast" if that's all I ate. I generally do 500-600 calories for breakfast, and sometimes on the weekends I will have doughnuts or pancakes with sausage or bacon for around 800-1000 calories.The way my body works, I'm better off not eating at all in the morning versus eating a tiny bit.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on the person and what they like/prefer. I am a peckish eater. There is no way I could eat 400 Cal in Breakfast. I like small meals, and I snack throughout the day. I have about 150 Cals for Breakfast and I am never starving and I have been successful in my weight loss. I think it all comes down to each person.

I agree with this with diet and exercise. Once a person finds what works for them I think it makes a journey so much more successful - congrats on your loss!!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    My breakfast was just over 400 calories this morning: one egg fried with butter-flavored cooking spray, a container of yogurt with a tablespoon of chopped walnuts, and a cup of oatmeal with two more tablespoons of nuts. I can't believe I used to eat twice as many calories for breakfast! I still might go ahead and make some hashbrowns for myself on a "cheat day," but I don't miss them nearly as much as I used to miss them.

I also love all the breakfast ideas in this threat--this site is amazing!
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I've tried other low calorie breakfast options, but having eggs with veggies + cheese always seems to keep me pretty full and minimize cravings throughout the day!
    I usually have one full egg, and then I add a couple egg whites with it (which are super low calorie). Adding cheese and veggies, or a slice of toast, make up the rest of the calories. But it's a reasonable and balanced meal. =)
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    He he unfortunately I hate cooking in the morning however honestly it hasn't really hurt me I'm a big fan of my big bowl of cheerio's with milk and honestly cereal with milk isn't that bad. Sure it has some sugar but not enough to really throw your balance. And the morning load of carbs and protein in the milk is a great way to start the day. Comes in at about 450 for me as well.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've tried other low calorie breakfast options, but having eggs with veggies + cheese always seems to keep me pretty full and minimize cravings throughout the day!
    I usually have one full egg, and then I add a couple egg whites with it (which are super low calorie). Adding cheese and veggies, or a slice of toast, make up the rest of the calories. But it's a reasonable and balanced meal. =)

Same for me, except *whole* eggs (usually 2, sometimes 3) and two slices of toast instead of one, plus bit of butter and jelly. Scrambled eggs with cheese and veggies (and salsa) is my "lazy omelet."