Didn't work out today due to neg. event

Options
Today something negative happened to me (not going to go into detail because I'm afraid I'll be called a troll as happened when I posted that I pause the workout DVD) and I didn't work out. I feel guilty but it's normal to skip a day if something bad happened and you're stressed out, right?

Replies

• theJTfitness
    theJTfitness Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If something bad happens to me and I'm stressed, I make sure NOT to miss my workout. It's kind of a therapy for me.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Missing a single workout will not do much harm. Just be sure to not let it turn into multiple days of skipping workouts. Get back on that horse and it's no problem!

Plus, if you are completely winded and need a second, what's wrong with pausing a workout?

Allan
  • asarwe
    asarwe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Depends on what kind of bad. Falling on my *kitten* and not being able to walk properly for the rest of the day... Yeah, not running or biking that day.

If it's stress or people being mean, I actually try to run harder (yeah, I'm a cardio junkie). It lowers my stress and makes me focus on what is actually important. It's my therapy. I had a friand who, when she found out her parents were divorcing, went for a run until she tasted blood in her mouth, then ran some more (she was like 13 or something then and really fit). At the same age, I would swim until I couldn't see straight anymore and relish the feeling of getting tired.

It's all in you mindset. I see exercise as something I really want to do. Not for the sake of weightloss but because it makes me a happy shiny person (relatively). Get on your exercise gear, go for a walk and see if that doesn't make you feel less stressed. Nothing makes me feel less stressed than a good run or swim or bike. I can go out the door crying and come back dancing 30min later.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong in pausing and taking a 5-10 second break. I'm doing JM RI30 right now. I'm on week 2. For the cardio portion for the first circuit, you have to hold yourself in plank position for two minutes while doing various things My arms won't hold me up that long!!!

I have had times where I was discouraged and didn't want to do anything, so I didn't do my workout. I made sure that I did do it the next day though. This week I am forcing myself to make sure I am up on time to get my morning walk in, as it's the ONLY time I have to workout this week. (I have special meetings I am attending this week, and I don't get home early enough in the evening to do my workout. I'm looking forward to Saturday when the meetings are over and I can get my workout in again!)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The choice is yours.

I am not sure what you are seeking...

Validation???

Permission???

Why do you even care what strangers think?

As far as someone calling you a troll...well...not sure why they would...lack of anything better to say I suppose.

Again...this is your journey...if you don't want to work out one day...your choice...your reasons for not doing so.

However...to answer your question...sure it is okay not to work out if something negative happens...or even if something positive happens. Working out...when...how...or if you do at all...is a personal choice.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    JSF
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You got called a troll in your recent post because you were pausing every thirty seconds; the purpose of your thread was to complain that you didn't have time to do a 30-min workout DVD in the six hours before you had to go to work.

In answer to your question here; yes, it's okay to skip a workout if you're feeling bad. If it's going to make you feel guilty, though, you might consider going for a walk instead - this might also help you to deal with your feelings of stress.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Get a punching bag. Tape a picture of a troll to it. I promise you'll never miss another workout.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Today something negative happened to me (not going to go into detail because I'm afraid I'll be called a troll as happened when I posted that I pause the workout DVD) and I didn't work out. I feel guilty but it's normal to skip a day if something bad happened and you're stressed out, right?

Everyone reacts in different ways so what is right or wrong?

If your goal is weight loss then you don't need to workout unless you need to the extra calories to make it possible to sustain your calorie deficit

If its for fitness then missing the occasional workout also wont harm you but I do find the more you miss, the harder it is to start up again.

You need to work out a routine that fits into your day
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    You got called a troll in your recent post because you were pausing every thirty seconds; the purpose of your thread was to complain that you didn't have time to do a 30-min workout DVD in the six hours before you had to go to work.

In answer to your question here; yes, it's okay to skip a workout if you're feeling bad. If it's going to make you feel guilty, though, you might consider going for a walk instead - this might also help you to deal with your feelings of stress.

Some people pause things but that doesn't make them a troll. My mother pauses workout DVDs too but she's not at all a troll. Just to be clear - I am not at all complaining that my coworker groped me - all I'm saying is a negative thing happened and that's what it is just for reference - therefore at first I didn't plan to do any exercise today but I decided to do Insanity core cardio and balance and I now have 22:17 left and 1.5 hours to do it. I believe I can do it!

I'm confused. If you aren't complaining about your co-worker groping you.....then why is it a negative thing and why are you hiding from him?

:huh:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    When I have something negative happen, I want to workout even more.

I love me a good rage/stress workout.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    wow.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If something bad happens to me and I'm stressed, I make sure NOT to miss my workout. It's kind of a therapy for me.
    Agreed. I find working out can relieve stress, and I try to push myself that much harder because I'm angry, upset, whatever. Although my standby emotion is always anger, and I find that easy to convert to extra energy at the gym.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    If this really happened, you should be contacting your HR department, or the police. Not worried about fitness.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If this really happened, you should be contacting your HR department, or the police. Not worried about fitness.
    ^^^This
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options

This is what I was thinking. Also, exercise is a great way to burn off anger and stress. Most importantly, if you were at work and received an unwanted touch, report it, or it may happen again.