Cows milk vs almond milk

Options

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    we weren't "meant" to eat fresh fruits and vegetables that are native to different continents and ripe in different seasons in the same meals either....
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Cows milk actually increases the risk of developing osteoporosis. So I'd go with almond or coconut milk instead.

Studies show that foods originating from animal sources make the blood acidic. When this occurs, the blood leeches calcium from the bones to increase alkalinity. While this works wonders for the pH balance of your blood, it sets your bones up for osteoporosis because your bones are depleted of calcium during the process.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    we weren't "meant" to eat fresh fruits and vegetables that are native to different continents and ripe in different seasons in the same meals either....

In the same logic I don't think we were "meant" to use machinery to press almonds into milk either.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Cows milk actually increases the risk of developing osteoporosis.

Studies show that foods originating from animal sources make the blood acidic. When this occurs, the blood leeches calcium from the bones to increase alkalinity. While this works wonders for the pH balance of your blood, it sets your bones up for osteoporosis because your bones are depleted of calcium during the process.

Which study? How would milk, a pH neutral liquid, make your blood (a pH buffered solution) more acidic?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do have a question for the "dairy industry is evil" crowd. Why do you assume that all milk production facilities are the same and we, as consumers, don't have control of our milk supply?

Yeah, this drives me crazy too. People who eat dairy also may have thought about these issues and come to a way of dealing with them that we think is ethical based on our evaluation of the evidence. I don't assume that other people have failed to do that, so I don't understand why others would assume that, with no information.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

Which study? How would milk, a pH neutral liquid, make your blood (a pH buffered solution) more acidic?

I tried to find where this got started and apparently some blog that wanted it to be true plastered it all over the Internet in the mid 2000's. I feel like I'm hunting Bigfoot trying to find any mention (other than a review totally debunking the "acid ash" hypothesis) of it in mainstream peer reviewed literature.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I tried to find where this got started and apparently some blog that wanted it to be true plastered it all over the Internet in the mid 2000's. I feel like I'm hunting Bigfoot trying to find any mention (other than a review totally debunking the "acid ash" hypothesis) of it in mainstream peer reviewed literature.

I'm curious as to why the original poster thought this was at all plausible.

Seriously, how does a pH neutral solution passed through your stomach acid result in modification of your bloods pH despite the fact that it is heavily buffered?

Pretty sure you can drink a bottle of straight-up lemon juice and not alter your bloods pH so what would possibly make you think milk would?
  • mandos_13
    mandos_13 Posts: 21
    Options
    Humans are the only animals in nature who will, on their own, seek out the milk of another animal to drink, which is true.

Humans are also the only animals who plant crops to harvest and eat. Or cook our food before consumption. Or live in dwellings we built out of a combination of wood boards, vinyl siding, and shingles. Or drive cars. Or have flown into space. Or...
    Why?
    Why would we willingly seek out something designed by animals to feed their young?

Because it's nutritious and delicious.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

"Cows milk actually increases the risk of developing osteoporosis. So I'd go with almond or coconut milk instead.

First, there is genetic inheritance. Every study related to body shape concludes the body type greatly affects the rate at which people develop Osteopenia and Osteoporosis. People of Mexico and Polynesia tend to be short and heavy boned while the United States and Sweden have many people born with long, thin bones. Inheritated body type should be included in any cross cultural statements about Osteoporosis.

Second,there is a geographical factor that those making these claims about Milk and Osteoporosis seem to ignore. Mexico and Polynesia are near the equator and so inhabitants are exposed to more sunlight inducing Vitamin D. Much of the United States and Sweden are above the 41st parallel and studies show that inhabitants do not get sufficient sun exposure during late Fall and winter for optimal Vitamin D production.

Third, there is a difference in life style that affects bone making. People in Mexico and Polynesia have been far less sedentary than those in the United States and Sweden. Not only do they walk more but many are employed in very physical jobs and their recreation is different. In Mexico, for example, Sunday aftenoons are likely to be filled with playing soccer or family walks outdoors rather than watching sports on T.V.

Also, it is not just a non-dairy diet typifies Mexico and Polynesia. Residents eat more fuits and vegetables, less soda pop and far less highly processed foods. So a scientific argument drawing comparisons between cultures needs to consider ALL relevant factors and not just pull one characterisitic and then claim it explains everything.

As for the acid/base arguement. There is much to support the notion that a highly acidic diet is a cause of bone loss. But milk is not just protein. It has carbohydrates and fats too. Also, most people do not just drink milk. Eating a peice of fruit with a glass of milk or drinking milk with a meal that includes fruit or salad, more than takes care of evening out the base/acid ratio. There is probably more damage done from drinking soda pop with its high phosophorous and caffeine content than could ever be done from a glass of milk.

And finally, there are a number of studies of adolescence that show that those who drink milk, tend to have greater bone density than those who do not. So, it appears that the recent rash of "milk causes of Osteoporosis" claims are very short on accurate scientific reasoning. I, for one, shall continue to eat yogurt, cheese, milk and other dairy products as a way to ensure I have enough calcium in my diet."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Humans are the only animals in nature who will, on their own, seek out the milk of another animal to drink, which is true. Other people have made posts about how they fed cows milk to cats, or goats milk to pigs; but in nature that wouldn't happen. A cat wouldn't go and suckle a cow, and a pig wouldn't suckle a goat. We are the only species that choose to do so.
    Other species know that the best milk they can receive is from their mothers, as it is designed to provide them with all the nutrients that they need; hence the benefits of breast feeding a child until a certain stage in development.

I don't actually understand why this is supposed to matter, in that humans do lots of things that other animals do not, but it's not true. To go back to the cat example, adult cats are lactose intolerant, if they drink milk they will (IME) vomit, but they definitely try to. I keep milk away from my cat because it's not good for him, plus I hate cleaning up cat vomit, but if I didn't he'd drink it. Sure, in nature it might be harder to find a glass of milk, but I really don't think my cat is thinking cat's milk or go home.

Plus, in one of the other threads like this people had plenty of examples of animals nursing from other species.
  • amykr93
    amykr93 Posts: 65
    Options
    I go with almond or soy milk now, because I have started reading 801010 and it made a great point.

Humans are the only animals in nature who will, on their own, seek out the milk of another animal to drink, which is true. Other people have made posts about how they fed cows milk to cats, or goats milk to pigs; but in nature that wouldn't happen. A cat wouldn't go and suckle a cow, and a pig wouldn't suckle a goat. We are the only species that choose to do so.
    Other species know that the best milk they can receive is from their mothers, as it is designed to provide them with all the nutrients that they need; hence the benefits of breast feeding a child until a certain stage in development.

Why?
    Why would we willingly seek out something designed by animals to feed their young?

Why would you eat something designed by animals to move it from one place to another (muscles/meat).

I don't any more.

Oh and humans aren't carnivores based on their basic design, and which parts of other animals we eat/how we eat them.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I'm curious as to why the original poster thought this was at all plausible.

Seriously, how does a pH neutral solution passed through your stomach acid result in modification of your bloods pH despite the fact that it is heavily buffered?

Pretty sure you can drink a bottle of straight-up lemon juice and not alter your bloods pH so what would possibly make you think milk would?

Bone is made up primarily of protein and calcium. Protein foods contain amino acids which are the building blocks for bone repair and maintenance. Many studies have shown that a diet low in protein can adversely affect bone and animal protein sources do contribute to body acidity to a greater extent than plant proteins.

When protein intake is high, this causes an excess of acid production in the body; an excess protein intake is considered “acid-forming.” The body’s chemistry cannot work well unless the pH balance is maintained. This means that if something you eat is acidic or generates acidity, then your body has to neutralize the blood to keep the pH balance stable.

Calcium is used to neutralize any extra acid that is formed in the body. This specific calcium is coming out of your bones.
  • amykr93
    amykr93 Posts: 65
    Options

I don't actually understand why this is supposed to matter, in that humans do lots of things that other animals do not, but it's not true. To go back to the cat example, adult cats are lactose intolerant, if they drink milk they will (IME) vomit, but they definitely try to. I keep milk away from my cat because it's not good for him, plus I hate cleaning up cat vomit, but if I didn't he'd drink it. Sure, in nature it might be harder to find a glass of milk, but I really don't think my cat is thinking cat's milk or go home.

Plus, in one of the other threads like this people had plenty of examples of animals nursing from other species.

But those examples aren't basic nature.

Those animals are in different environments to that which they originated from. Cats and dogs living together, dogs living with pigs etc.

I'm talking basic nature, not habitats and environments designed, and controlled, by humans.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Wait...to people think because proteins are made from amino acids that they are acidic? No. Most amino acids are zwitterionic and proteins as a whole are pretty much pH neutral, in fact they tend to denature if you vary too much from a neutral pH.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Humans weren't ment to consume dairy after a certain age or from another animal. So cutting it out will solve some other issues you probably didn't notice before (like skin issues or digestive issues). So I would stick with almond milk, or any other options like coconut and rice :)

Exactly! Thank you!

Humans were not meant to eat cooked food.
    Humans were not meant to farm.
    Humans were not meant to fly.
    Humans were not meant to leave our planet.
    Humans were not meant to have birth control.
    Humans were not meant to take almonds and make a liquid drink from them.

And yet...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    They both give me problems.
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I personally feel better staying away from dairy, even though befor ei had no problem with dairy. When I eat ice cream or eat stuff made with cream, I usually end up in the bathroom pretty fast. Don't know if going away from dairy for most of the time made me more intolerant of lactose or what.

I vote for the almond or coconut milk!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

I'm talking basic nature, not habitats and environments designed, and controlled, by humans.

I'm sorry could you define "basic nature" for me?

If you are saying that as soon as a you put a pig and a goat in close proximity to one another it is no longer "natural" then yes obviously a goat would never "naturally" suckle from a pig by that definition because they have to be within the same locality to do so.

Really I'm just not sure what you are trying to say here.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Bone is made up primarily of protein and calcium. Protein foods contain amino acids which are the building blocks for bone repair and maintenance. Many studies have shown that a diet low in protein can adversely affect bone and animal protein sources do contribute to body acidity to a greater extent than plant proteins.

When protein intake is high, this causes an excess of acid production in the body; an excess protein intake is considered “acid-forming.” The body’s chemistry cannot work well unless the pH balance is maintained. This means that if something you eat is acidic or generates acidity, then your body has to neutralize the blood to keep the pH balance stable.

Calcium is used to neutralize any extra acid that is formed in the body. This specific calcium is coming out of your bones.

Okay even if this was true...which it isn't by the way...why does only animal derived milk cause this?

Isn't almond milk just as high in protein as cow milk?

Second buffers are used to neutralize acids as well as alkalines and buffers are not necessarily calcium derived, your blood is buffered by bicarbonate for example...not calcium. Honestly I wasn't even aware that calcium, a simple element, could act as a buffer.

Here is a quick lesson on chemical buffering. Note the complete lack of mention of calcium.

http://www.chemistry.wustl.edu/~edudev/LabTutorials/Buffer/Buffer.html
  • Rushgirl82
    Rushgirl82 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I love True Silk Coconut milk! Yum!