Cows milk vs almond milk

Options

Replies

• goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I think that's comparing apples and oranges. Not even that because the latter are both fruit. I drink both Almond milk and full fat organic milk. Full fat milk (cow's milk) helps you lose weight and keep it off. I won't go into the reasons. It's also extremely good tasting and good for you. The sugar in it is natural.

I also use unsweetened almond milk in my protein shakes but can't stand the taste in any other way or to drink alone. It too is nutritional but you do have to use the kind that's unsweetened or you overdo on your sugar.

My opinion is you just do not have to choose between the two. Enjoy both.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

I study public health. Everything I've learned has come from textbooks and peer-reviewed studies.

So providing an actual link to an article should be a snap then. I'd really like to read one as well.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Quick lesson in protein biochemistry.

Proteins from all life on earth are comprised of 20 amino acids. These amino acids share in common a common core with different side-chains. The common core has an amino group (which is basic) and a carboxylic acid group (which is acidic) and is what gives them the name amino acids. The core itself is zwitterionic and is therefore neutral. These amino acids a are joined together into long chains via peptide bonds which link the amino group of one amino acid to the carboxylic group of another. The side chains vary...some are neutral, some are positively charged, some are negatively charged. Proteins comprise both structural elements of our bodies as well as being the macromolecules responsible for catalyzing chemical reactions. They are pH neutral and are actually denatured (fall apart) under conditions that are either too acidic or too basic.

Your blood is a buffered solution balanced by a mix of bicarbonate.

Perhaps you can explain to me how a pH neutral molecule digested through stomach acid into component parts ends up in the blood to disrupt a pH buffered steadystate.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I know it's a bit of a gross-factor thing, but if you look at what's in milk (... pus) it can be rather nice to switch to non-dairy alternatives.

That said, almond milk is an acquired taste (still trying to like it) and soy milk increases mucus production and all kinds of nonsense like that.

The best I've found is chocolate hazelnut milk. But also probably normal hazelnut milk is good too.
    where did you ever get the idea there is pus in cows milk. I recently retired from a dairy after 37 years, worked in a government lab and NEVER ran into pus in the milk. We ran 19 different tests on it and because 90 % going into infant formula the guidelines were very strict as they should be. Pus comes from a cow that has an infection called mastitis. The milk is treated before it is unloaded and if There is anything wrong with the milk from that tanker it is either field spreadd or used for animal feed such as veal calves. Nope no pus..
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Bone is made up primarily of protein and calcium. Protein foods contain amino acids which are the building blocks for bone repair and maintenance. Many studies have shown that a diet low in protein can adversely affect bone and animal protein sources do contribute to body acidity to a greater extent than plant proteins.

When protein intake is high, this causes an excess of acid production in the body; an excess protein intake is considered “acid-forming.” The body’s chemistry cannot work well unless the pH balance is maintained. This means that if something you eat is acidic or generates acidity, then your body has to neutralize the blood to keep the pH balance stable.

Calcium is used to neutralize any extra acid that is formed in the body. This specific calcium is coming out of your bones.

Okay even if this was true...which it isn't by the way...why does only animal derived milk cause this?

Isn't almond milk just as high in protein as cow milk?

LOL. I find it funny how you're trying to say that science isn't true.

1 cup of Almond Breeze original almond milk has 1 g of protein. So no, absolutely not.

I am most certainly not saying science isn't true I am saying that whatever you read on the internet isn't true.

Can you link to a single study supporting your claim that high protein diets cause osteoperosis via acidification of the blood?

Read on the internet? :laugh:

I study public health. Everything I've learned has come from textbooks and peer-reviewed studies.

Oh we are doc dropping now? Okay well I am a research scientist with the title of Scientist with a Ph.D. in molecular biology with a specialization in protein biochemistry and several published peer reviewed first author papers on the subject of protein biochemistry. I have 15 years of laboratory experience and 18 years of study on this subject. Does that have anything to do with anything? No. If you want to determine the truth of something you don't do it by saying what your title is you say it by producing your evidence.

Please produce the study from which you derived this information or admit that you haven't actually read a published study but rather picked this up on some internet blog. If it is in one of your textbooks it should be a simple matter to check the citation in the reference section and post it here. From my personal knowledge of the field though I call bullsh*t.

My question is how does a zwitterionic molecule disrupt the homeostasis of a pH buffered solution?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

So providing an actual link to an article should be a snap then. I'd really like to read one as well.

I'm excited to see the peer reviewed study too.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    I haven't missed your point, and agree, you have not been snarky in your responses, but that can't be said for the majority of the other responses. I'm not at all opposed to seeing differing views and learning new info myself, and that wasn't really the point of my post. I have been on other communities that are very supportive, and this board in general has a very hateful tone to it (again, not saying your posts specifically).
    [/quote]
    yes
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I go with almond or soy milk now, because I have started reading 801010 and it made a great point.

Humans are the only animals in nature who will, on their own, seek out the milk of another animal to drink, which is true. Other people have made posts about how they fed cows milk to cats, or goats milk to pigs; but in nature that wouldn't happen. A cat wouldn't go and suckle a cow, and a pig wouldn't suckle a goat. We are the only species that choose to do so.
    Other species know that the best milk they can receive is from their mothers, as it is designed to provide them with all the nutrients that they need; hence the benefits of breast feeding a child until a certain stage in development.

Why?
    Why would we willingly seek out something designed by animals to feed their young?
    Stopped reading at 80/10/10.............another diet founded by "blog" science....pretty much immediately invalidates your opinion
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Why does nearly every thread I read on this site digress into snarkiness by the time all is said and done?

because there are a lot of hungry overweight people on this site?

LOL!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I'm talking basic nature, not habitats and environments designed, and controlled, by humans.

I'm sorry could you define "basic nature" for me?

If you are saying that as soon as a you put a pig and a goat in close proximity to one another it is no longer "natural" then yes obviously a goat would never "naturally" suckle from a pig by that definition because they have to be within the same locality to do so.

Really I'm just not sure what you are trying to say here.

I meant the natural habitat of those animals.

In their natural habitat, without any interference from humans.

A lioness at a national park in Uganda ate an antelope's mother, then adopted the baby antelope and treated it as one of her cubs. Animals of various species have also been known to nurse from human mothers. I'm not going to post pics here because the pics would probably violate the TOS since the cultures that do this are generally in an MFP-unacceptable state of undress, but you can google it.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I drink them both. I also enjoy cashew milk. The nut milks are so easy to make, I just make those at home now.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Cows milk verses plant based milks has always been a hot subject.

Everyone will have an opinion....
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have been drinking a lot of almond so that I have something creamy and low calorie to add to oatmeal, smoothies, etc. It only has 1 g of protein, making milk far superior, but I get protein other places. Something about milk gives me horrible breath, too. I still keep it around for baking and cooking.

And no pus in milk. I worked at a dairy. Cows with mastitis still need to be milked so I'm sure that's where that idea came from, from some animal rights group taking video out of context or something like that, but the milk is dumped out and any sick cows are milked last so that the equipment is immediately disinfected.
  • LiaBunny
    LiaBunny Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The whole pus thing is true, I know milk sold in the USA would be illegal to sell in the UK as it doesn't meet European Standards - it has too high of a pus content.
    There's lots of gross stuff in milk, it's something I'm trying to phase out of my diet entirely.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    But until a cow's milk drinker can get down there and suck the udder, you are not a true fan.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Bone is made up primarily of protein and calcium. Protein foods contain amino acids which are the building blocks for bone repair and maintenance. Many studies have shown that a diet low in protein can adversely affect bone and animal protein sources do contribute to body acidity to a greater extent than plant proteins.

When protein intake is high, this causes an excess of acid production in the body; an excess protein intake is considered “acid-forming.” The body’s chemistry cannot work well unless the pH balance is maintained. This means that if something you eat is acidic or generates acidity, then your body has to neutralize the blood to keep the pH balance stable.

Calcium is used to neutralize any extra acid that is formed in the body. This specific calcium is coming out of your bones.

Okay even if this was true...which it isn't by the way...why does only animal derived milk cause this?

Isn't almond milk just as high in protein as cow milk?

LOL. I find it funny how you're trying to say that science isn't true.

1 cup of Almond Breeze original almond milk has 1 g of protein. So no, absolutely not.

Acid-base balance in the body is primarily achieved through the respiratory system and the kidneys.

Not sure where you are getting your scientific facts from.

Yes. CO2 balance is part of the bicarbonate buffering system in our blood and is regulated in large part by respiration (CO2 levels) and the kidneys which are involved in the reabsorbtion of bicarbonate. At no point in all of my studies have I come across the notion that calcium has anything to do with blood buffering nor the notion that protein levels would have an affect on the acidity or alkalinity of a buffered solution.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    The whole pus thing is true, I know milk sold in the USA would be illegal to sell in the UK as it doesn't meet European Standards - it has too high of a pus content.
    There's lots of gross stuff in milk, it's something I'm trying to phase out of my diet entirely.

Question. Isn't pus just dead leukocytes (colloquially called white blood cells)? In which case what is the big deal?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Still waiting on that study. Guessing its not coming.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Seriously FatFreeFrolic could you just link to where you got this information from? I really want to read it. Don't worry if its a study from a journal that doesn't have public access, I have full access to most scientifically published journals and will have no problems pulling the article to read.

Here's a meta analysis on the acid ash hypothesis...

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/8/1/41

Thanks for the meta but this can't be what FatFreeFrolik was referring to because her focus is on proteins and proteins have zero phosphate content while these studies are focused on levels of phosphate intake.

Now phosphate I do believe could have an effect on a buffered solution given that it is highly charged non-zwitterionic and often forms conjugates with low pH.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

Question. Isn't pus just dead leukocytes (colloquially called white blood cells)? In which case what is the big deal?

Particularly after pasteurization...