St Patty's Day Challenge - January 2011 Thread

Options

Replies

• velvetechos
    Options
    Alrighty! Hope everyone had a good weekend and that we're all getting in gear for this week's challenge!

New years resolution? To properly plan my veg garden before buying seeds and planting at random!! And to try to eat as "cleanly" as possible. I'm working on a lot of from scratch stuff :)

New veggie this week: trying golden beets asap :)
  • mrmarler
    mrmarler Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have issues with a partner that doesnt make it easy to stick to your goals?
  • sarina87
    sarina87 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I did the fitness challenge

Normaly i do 45 min workouts everyday. It can be anything from circuit training to my elliptical. But today was my 3rd day of P90X and the dvd was 72 mins. Damn. That about 27 mins over my normal workouts. Surprisingly, i feel ok.
  • irishgirl207
    Options
    I want in! CW 181 GW 150. I always start out strong, but lose motivation after the first week or so. Hopefully this will keep me on track! :smile:
  • s_krapf
    s_krapf Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I added grapes and califlower for the food challenge. Right now it is difficult to find fresh fruits or veggies here so those were the only two items I felt safe buying! Ate both last night and today, feeling great and planning to go buy more since it was so delicious!
  • djcarreras
    Options
    Okay Im In! I am up 12 pounds from this time last year! I was 200 on the money today! I want to be 180! Only two pounds a week! Easy right:)
  • poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have issues with a partner that doesnt make it easy to stick to your goals?

My partner is a super pickey eater. Does not eat anything green eats very few veggies. I have found I make compromises so that I am not making two meals. Somethings I change and just don't say hey....that was healthy.
  • velvetechos
    Options

My partner is a super pickey eater. Does not eat anything green eats very few veggies. I have found I make compromises so that I am not making two meals. Somethings I change and just don't say hey....that was healthy.

My husband was like that also - I just started finding creative ways to slip in veggies, or I'd keep offering them and eventually he'd say yes, lol. I'd make little changes like fresh spinach on his sandwich instead of lettuce. If I make something heavier for him now and then I'll give myself a small portion and a big plate of salad or steamed veggies on the side.
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Well, the good news is I tried tomatoes, squash and zucchini. Ive tried them before and didnt care for them. This time I tried to think positive before I ate them and they werent that bad. I cant say they are good to my taste buds but I can deal with them.

Now the bad news is I went WAY OVER my sodium today. Went out to dinner with a friend and realized how much sodium these places put in the food.

Well, I'll be drinking ALOT of water for the next couple of days.

Oh, the fitness challenge....I typically try to workout for 1 hour. So far, I worked out for 1 hr and 45 mins. I knew I was going to dinner so I wanted to have enough calories to eat. However, I still ended up going over by about 100 calories. So im going to do something to burn that off before I go to bed.
  • NATURLBEAUTY
    NATURLBEAUTY Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in.
  • NATURLBEAUTY
    NATURLBEAUTY Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in. No weight gain over holidays(thank goodness). 285ibs would like to lose 20 by St. Pattys.
  • sheilabennett
    Options
    So I am thinking that my new veggie will be sun dried tomatoes... Does anybody have any suggestions on what I put them with???

I hope everyone's week is going well!!!
  • velvetechos
    Options
    So I am thinking that my new veggie will be sun dried tomatoes... Does anybody have any suggestions on what I put them with???

They are amazing with pasta - especially with pesto or garlic and olive oil as the sauce.

Whole wheat angel hair or spaghetti, chicken breast, spinach, pesto, maybe some mushrooms and artichoke hearts + sun dried tomatoes = AMAZING!!!
  • velvetechos
    Options

They are amazing with pasta - especially with pesto or garlic and olive oil as the sauce.

Whole wheat angel hair or spaghetti, chicken breast, spinach, pesto, maybe some mushrooms and artichoke hearts + sun dried tomatoes = AMAZING!!!

Oh! Another yummy option is turkey sandwich with lightly toasted bread, a drizzle of olive oil, fresh greens, tomato, heat up the turkey and melt some provolone on it, then add some sun dried tomatoes. Yummy!!!
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join this challenge. I am just getting over the stomach flu so I'm not sure about the new fruit or veg this week. Actually, I also do eat a lot of fruits and veggies so not sure what's out there that's really "new" to me. But hopefully by the weekend I'll be ready for adventure. I'm kind of weak for exercise too, but I see the sun shining so I'll at least try a walk around the block today which will be 5 minutes more than nothing, right?

My goal by Saint Pat's is to lose 12 more pounds which should have me down to about 160. This might be a bit ambitious cuz I know it gets harder the lower the weight...

2040688.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sheilabennett
    Options

Oh! Another yummy option is turkey sandwich with lightly toasted bread, a drizzle of olive oil, fresh greens, tomato, heat up the turkey and melt some provolone on it, then add some sun dried tomatoes. Yummy!!!

Thanks Velvet!! Picked up some pesto and tomatoes today.... I'll let you know how it goes!!! I don't like mushrooms, and I have never had artichoke hearts!! I am such a vegetable wimp! But I want to try some of the bigger mushrooms... I have only had the slimmy canned ones....
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Well, I had my leftovers from dinner last night for lunch. So, I was able to try the veggies for the 2nd time. I think I can deal with the zucchini and squash but those red bell peppers I'll have to try again in a couple of months.
  • poeticpurl
    poeticpurl Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I did not try a new veggie but a fruit that I never think to eat. Kiwi. Yummy and super sweet.

When next I get to shop I want to see what I can find in the new dept.

on the fitness side i hurt my knee and went to the dr who says i have to stay off of it for at least another two weeks. (i have already been taking it easy for two weeks) So back to the fitness that requires no knee use.

Sundried tomatoes tossed in a salad or with sauteed with mushrooms.
  • life1979_24
    life1979_24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i went with kiwi also
  • velvetechos
    Options
    Kiwi s one of my favorites; when I was pregnant I ate one a day for two months straight, lol.

Tomorrow I'm trying a "bacon avocado"

I'm a huge haas avocado fan, never tried a bacon avocado though!