National Bike Challenge 2014

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    18.9 for me today. The wind is brutal (25mph straight winds with 38-45mph gusts). I earned that 18.9 lol.
  • BigDog
    BigDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    So far... 27 riders.
    Together we have ridden 1057 miles
    2297 points (which currently puts us at a national ranking of 39)

Some interesting stats...
    We have saved an estimated 951 pounds of CO2 entering the air.
    We have saved $597
    And we have burned an average of 57,278 calories.

Way to go!

Anyone else want to join? The more the merrier. Come on you know you want to. :smile:
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    13.2 logged for today. Looks like 3 days of rain coming up. *sigh* I will probably dodge raindrops at least once over the weekend anyhow.
  • BigDog
    Options
    31 riders so far. Awesome! Keep em coming people. It would be cool to get 50 or more riders...
  • tress29
    tress29 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm a casual rider, 2-3 miles 2 to 4 times a week. I'll register and join the team if it'll help. In fact, it may motivate me to ride even more.
  • RoseZ12
    RoseZ12 Posts: 18
    Options
    Im in. I wanted to wait until my MapmyFitness sync-ed. Their website is not up and running so I did ...HERE WE GO!
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm a casual rider, 2-3 miles 2 to 4 times a week. I'll register and join the team if it'll help. In fact, it may motivate me to ride even more.
    Join us! It will motivate you, and you can be part of our awesome team:) We're up to 32 riders and 41st in the nation! How many days a week you ride seems to be just as important as how many miles you ride.
  • tress29
    Options
    Join us! It will motivate you, and you can be part of our awesome team:)
    Since the whole challenge is 152 days, I've set a goal to ride at least 150 miles. I work full time and the week I don't have my teenagers, I work a second job. I'm going to challenge my kids to ride with me as well.
  • BigDog
    Options

Definitely join us. It is a great motivation tool, and you only have to go riding for a day and cover the minimum of 1 mile to help rack up points. See the below information (taken from the website) to see how the points work.
    Challenge Points accumulate based on miles ridden, plus 20 Challenge points for each day that you ride at least 1 mile. Miles must be logged by the last day of each month they were ridden.

SCORING:

1 mile = 1 Challenge point; earn 1 point for every mile you ride.

Earn 20 Challenge points for each day that you ride at least 1 mile.

EXAMPLE:

A rider who commutes 10 miles round-trip would earn 30 points: 20 points for riding, plus 10 points for the 10 miles (1 mile = 1 point).
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    Deleted as I double posted
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Are any of you on Strava? Their challenges are legit.
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I actually got a great bargain today my first cycling top, it's plain purple and black and its a muddy Fox one but it's not plastered all over it just a little writing on it and its a UK size 10 and was down from £32 to £8, I don't know what I'm happier about the size or the price ????????
    Bring on the next ride.
  • Hornsby
    Options

There is an MFP club on Strava. Check it out. There are a lot of us on there.

ETA: http://www.strava.com/clubs/gs-myfitnesspal
  • BigDog
    Options

I use Endomondo (which is syncing nicely with this event)

http://www.endomondo.com/

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.endomondo.android

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/endomondo-sports-tracker-gps/id333210180?mt=8
  • tress29
    Options
    Set a goal to ride 3 miles today. Did 3.5 and when my kids got home, rode 3 more with one of them. Yay!

Have a question, how long will it take for my "sit bones" to stop hurting? I often jump on the bike in jeans to ride with the kids. Is it worth upgrading to a seat with gel or cutouts? Or should I tough it out as long as I don't get saddle sores? I like the skinny profile of my (Target Magna's) seat...
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Got 28.5 in tonight, and another 19 yesterday. Got to get to the top of that leader board!!! Or at least have a blast trying :)
  • Mezzle13
    Mezzle13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How often are you cycling? I cycle every day so I don't get the pain but if I go on holiday for a week then the first couple of days hurt. If you are starting to become a frequent cyclist give it a week or so before looking at changing the saddle because your body will adjust. If you only go out occasionaly you may want something with more padding so that it doesn't hurt every time you decide to go on the bike.
  • tress29
    Options
    If you are starting to become a frequent cyclist give it a week or so before looking at changing the saddle because your body will adjust.
    This! I'm just starting out after the winter. As part of the challenge, I'm trying to ride every day. I did too much yesterday, 6.5 miles! (3.5 by myself, 3 with one of my teens.) My butt and my low back are achy today! Took an alleve, and am doing stretches at my desk!

I work at my p/t job tonight, so I'm just trying to get 1-1.5 miles before it rains, or I run out of daylight.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Have a question, how long will it take for my "sit bones" to stop hurting? I often jump on the bike in jeans to ride with the kids. Is it worth upgrading to a seat with gel or cutouts? Or should I tough it out as long as I don't get saddle sores? I like the skinny profile of my (Target Magna's) seat...
    How often are you cycling? I cycle every day so I don't get the pain but if I go on holiday for a week then the first couple of days hurt. If you are starting to become a frequent cyclist give it a week or so before looking at changing the saddle because your body will adjust. If you only go out occasionally you may want something with more padding so that it doesn't hurt every time you decide to go on the bike.

If you really love the seat, maybe just invest in a pair of padded bike shorts?
  • tress29
    Options
    If you really love the seat, maybe just invest in a pair of padded bike shorts?

I thought about that. My kids would leave me behind if I took too long getting ready though. I have to make them stop and let the dogs out before we ride. The week they are at their dad's...