Workplace saboteurs...

Options
Is anyone else frustrated with workplace treats, provided lunches, etc. that are extremely high-cal?? We have had a week of "thank-you" treats from admin to employees, and all/most of it has been something I really shouldn't eat. Today's treat? Ice cream floats. I can't even go there to socialize because of the temptation!
Frustrating...

Replies

• annemariemk4
    annemariemk4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    In the same boat, such a challenge! :(
  • _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Yes - they have stuff ALL THE TIME at our office that I have to resist....I bought some hard candy and put in my drawer - low calorie - and then when they are indulging - I can satisfy that 'want something sweet' craving...
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    These thing are going to be a part of everyday life. There's no use in avoiding every social occasion for fear of what food might be there. Eat in moderation and try to make it fit within your daily goals.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the term "sabotage" for this type of thing because no one is trying to derail your progress. You are responsible for the choices you make at work.
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Yep... such is the world of marketing...... Cakes, cookies, doughnuts, sandwiches, italian food, BBQ....." No thanks, I brought my cabbage and green beans "... kinda sucks sometimes... One of those lovely Costco Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese frosting is 890 calories... holy Toledo !!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I cannot eat stuff that isn't gluten free (unless I want to get sick and die). I do not eat what I am not sure is gluten free. If I go somewhere food will be served I either 1. eat before hand 2. if possible, bring my own food to enjoy with them. You can do the same at work with a small cooler! Good luck!
  • chezza189
    chezza189 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have worked In my current place of work for nearly a year and half and not once have I eaten out of the canteen. This is partly because I do shift work and its never open, but also because I don't want to pay good money to eat bad food.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't really like the term "sabotage" for this type of thing because no one is trying to derail your progress. You are responsible for the choices you make at work.

^ This. You do not HAVE TO accept the food. :)
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Considering I'm out of ice cream at home--because I had a pint every night for the last three nights--it would suit me right down to the ground if my workplace was serving rootbeer floats. Save me a trip to the grocery store to buy more ice cream, at least.
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    No. No one is trying to force these things down your throat. You can choose to avoid people like the plague or learn to eat in moderation.
  • fromthewild
    Options
    Well...I guess it's more than just the choices people make when bringing food to share. There are also those who really DO seem to want to derail my goals. The ones who try to convince me to eat what I would rather not, and give me the "party pooper" feeling when I opt out of a shared food experience.
    I like the idea of keeping my own, more acceptable treats in the drawer to assuage my suffering and growling tummy!
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options

I agree.

I also understand the temptation because at my work they continually do fundraisers for things like March of Dimes etc and continually bring in cookies, cupcakes, bagels etc. So irritating because our company wants us to be healthy......we get wellness time to workout and they do lunch & learn talks that many times focus on health and fitness or wellness.
  • SlightlyMadman
    SlightlyMadman Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is probably one of the biggest weight loss advantages of being vegan. Treats like that are almost never vegan, so I can easily just say "no" without having to even consider it.
  • 2boysmamma
    2boysmamma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with the same issues. Every week there is some new event or birthday to celebrate. This week is nurses week so they had a large party for me today in the office. I felt obligated to eat since it was my party, now I feel bloated and miserable. I have eliminated temptation from my home but find it harder to get away from at work. I do have another coworker who is starting to eat better with me, so hopefully having a "buddy" will make it easier in the future to say no.
  • DoctorMcCoy10
    DoctorMcCoy10 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I look at is a little quest. Must pass on lunch, do not say yes to the goodies. :laugh: But if I really want something they have I figure it into my calories and enjoy the heck out of it.

Really when they bring things or have lunch or refill the candy dish with peanut butter cups I feel pretty freaking awesome when I stay strong and don't give in and I really like that feeling. So the more and more it happens the easier it becomes.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    This used to bother me, until I realized that they're doing it TO BE NICE. It's how our society shows affection and appreciation: food, and usually sweets. It's universal, it's easy, and its relatively inexpensive.

I'm not sure why'd you blame or get angry at other people for your inability to say no to baked goods. While I understand the temptation, you've got to get used to being around food that you don't eat. That's just life.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    The school I attended was the same way! Constant pizza parties and after every class we had a huge party after our exams with more junk foods and sodas. I just brought my own healthy snacks and left early when brought on by temptation. Can't complain though for some it was their lunch and it was nice to be appreciated, just wish it would have been something healthier.
  • fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My co-worker and I have gotten into the habit of bringing fruit and cheese to share. We both search for interesting new cheeses to try, and having apple or pear slices limits the number of crackers we eat. We call it our Stinky Cheese Club meeting.

Yes, cheese is a fat and calorie bomb, but the stinkier the cheese, the smaller the hit.

(Too bad the boss won't let us open a bottle of wine.)
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Someone at my office just brought a big tray of chicken alfredo from Olive Garden. I'm going to pass on that one. I did get some salad :)
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    This used to bother me, until I realized that they're doing it TO BE NICE. It's how our society shows affection and appreciation: food, and usually sweets. It's universal, it's easy, and its relatively inexpensive.

I'm not sure why'd you blame or get angry at other people for your inability to say no to baked goods. While I understand the temptation, you've got to get used to being around food that you don't eat. That's just life.

Word!! If someone brings in donuts or a treat to work, if I want it, I'll fit in into my day. Depriving yourself only leads to binging and falling off the wagon later on, at least in my experience.