Your food is no cleaner than mine

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
Why "clean eating" is a meaningless term that does more harm than good to our discourse about food.

http://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/your-food-is-no-cleaner-than-mine-20140509-zr7bj.html
BuzzFeed unveiled "a two-week detox plan that's actually realistic" this week, and it made me want to throw a head of broccoli at my computer screen. Not because the menu is unappealing - the pictures and recipes appear delicious, actually. Not because the idea of detoxifying your body via a diet is a scam (although it is). Not because it proscribes caffeine and alcohol and provides 1,300 to 1,600 calories a day (which don't exactly sound "realistic" to me). No, the thing that drives me crazy is that the plan is called the "BuzzFeed Food Clean Eating Challenge," and "clean eating" is a meaningless term that does more harm than good to our discourse about food.

To be fair, BuzzFeed is hardly the first publication to use the phrase "clean eating" to sex up a low-calorie, plant-based diet regime. The phrase has been in the lexicon for years. There are a multitude of cookbooks and diet books with the word "clean" in their titles (Clean Food, Clean Eating for Busy Families, Clean Eats and even Eating Clean for Dummies). There is a monthly magazine called Clean Eating that purportedly "takes you beyond the food you eat, exploring the multitude of health and nutritional benefits that can be yours when you subscribe to a clean lifestyle." There are clean eating explainers, FAQs and "core principles." The buzzword has diffused so thoroughly through the media that it would be surprising if BuzzFeed didn't use the word "clean" in its two-week diet plan.

Clean eating's ubiquity is part of the problem: The term has been adopted so widely, by people promoting so many different eating choices, that it has no agreed upon definition. If you're BuzzFeed, clean eating means "low-carb and gluten-free with an emphasis on lean protein (no red meat) and fresh produce." If you're Terry Walters, the author of "Clean Food," it means forsaking all animal products. If you're Prevention magazine, which issues an annual list of the "100 Cleanest Packaged Food Awards," it means foods that contain less than 10 grams of sugar and less than 200 milligrams of sodium, that come in bisphenol-A-free packaging, and aren't genetically modified. Most "clean" diets focus on unprocessed, plant-based foods, but "clean eating" can mean pretty much anything you want it to mean.

Which brings us to the most pernicious part of the "clean eating" craze: It implies that anyone who doesn't eat in the way you deem "clean" is eating "dirty." As fat-acceptance activist Marianne Kirby astutely put it in xoJane last year, "When you tell someone their food is dirty, even by implication, you [expletive] all over their own body autonomy, issues of class and access, cultural food traditions, their own tastes and needs, and issues of health."

Even more to the point, as Kirby acknowledges, "clean" eating assigns moral value where none exists (since, contrary to popular belief, dieting does not actually make you a better person). Notions of clean and dirty are inextricably tied up with notions of right and wrong; as Steven Pinker in particular has argued in The New York Times, purity is a universal theme of human moral codes. Progressive people generally agree that describing the complex, deep-seated pleasures of sexuality as "dirty" is both inaccurate and psychologically harmful to impressionable minds. We recoil when religious fundamentalists compare a woman who has had sex with multiple partners to a dirty stick of gum. Why should we be OK with describing food - another one of life's fundamental, complicated pleasures - in similarly loaded terms?

Calling your latest low-cal, gluten-free diet a "clean eating challenge" gives it a misplaced and emotionally charged moral cast. There are plenty of complicated moral problems surrounding food, among them animal welfare, labour rights and environmental protection. But none of them can be adequately discussed with oversimplified labels like "clean" and "dirty."

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    They lost me at 'it proscribes caffeine'. I'll thank the clean eating crowd to keep its collective hands off my filthy dirty coffee.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    oh rats!! another soul that won't give me his candy since he'll eat it... this sucks... Please please promote 'clean' eating so that there will be more unclean food for me.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    The following comment does not apply to all "clean" eaters...but some of them...

I hate shopping in the same store with some of them...they are obnoxious! rude! judgmental!

I avoid Whole Foods...not only the prices but the shoppers.

Trader Joes can be almost as bad but the prices are reasonable.

I shop now at my neighborhood Sprouts (though I have been in some of them where it is almost as bad). For some reason this one is different...no rude...obnoxious...judgmental people.

A couple of months ago I stopped in a Whole Foods to pick up this bread that I wanted to try...it was packed with some of the rudest people that I have ever seen...each one of them with the attitude that they were the most important shopper in the store.

Okay...that is my rant and rave...I don't care how someone chooses to eat as long as they keep their attitudes to themselves.

Oh...one last rant...

They turn their noses up at processed food...all the while they are eating their processed Greek yogurt...(don't get me wrong...I eat Greek yogurt...love the caramel macchiato that Dannons puts out...just finished one).
  • darkangel45422
    darkangel45422 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You do realize that by and large the only people who talk about dirty food are those who are against clean eating right? I've never heard any clean eater talk about food being dirty; most don't get close to even judging other people's food choices. Most of the clean eaters I know or those like me who subscribe to the idea of clean eating don't think of clean as being a moral judgment or of other foods are dirty. Usually clean is used in these contexts to mean not possessing things that individual doesn't want to put in their body - therefore, the opposite to clean isn't dirty, it's things they just don't want to put in their body. At worst the opposite of clean eating is eating 'undesirable' things, but since it's more or less defined individually, I hardly see how that's prblematic. Food is always desriable or undesirable on an individual basis - just because I hate celery because it tastes icky to me, and therefore its undesirable and I don't want to eat it, does that somehow affect you and your relationship with celery? If it does, that's a problem with you, not with me.

People all have different views on what is healthy or unhealthy, and what they want to put in their body. If someone wants to chose not to put animal products, or processed food, or pesticides, or GMOs into their body, why do you care? Its their personal food choices, and you shouldn't get to judge them for it, even if what you're judging is how they describe their eating style.

I think it's argumentative to try and say that labelling something clean MUST mean that anything else is dirty, and that it's ridiculous to judge a way of eating on nothing more than its name. Naming conventions aren't about being perfectly descriptive, they're about being catchy. If you have to get all philosophical to find a good argument against a person choosing to eat clean, I think you're really reaching. That, and clean's a perfectly acceptable way of describing most of these food plans. They're based largely on eliminating undesirable (defined by each individual or individual plan) elements from our food and diet - that's one meaning of clean.

It can't be forgotten that words have many meanings or slightly different meanings depending on context. Yes, in some contexts clean and dirty have moral connotations; in others, they really really don't. Reading those kinds of things into this context is quite beside the point and actually rather inappropriate. I'd say that to anyone on either side of the debate, but honestly, I've only ever seen it from clean eating bashers.
  • ncrugbyprop
    ncrugbyprop Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good article. I specifically like this statement:

"Even more to the point, as Kirby acknowledges, "clean" eating assigns moral value where none exists (since, contrary to popular belief, dieting does not actually make you a better person)."
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    "Clean up in aisle 8" takes on a whole new meaning when you are shopping with some "clean" eaters in the produce department.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    You do realize that by and large the only people who talk about dirty food are those who are against clean eating right? I've never heard any clean eater talk about food being dirty; most don't get close to even judging other people's food choices. Most of the clean eaters I know or those like me who subscribe to the idea of clean eating don't think of clean as being a moral judgment or of other foods are dirty. Usually clean is used in these contexts to mean not possessing things that individual doesn't want to put in their body - therefore, the opposite to clean isn't dirty, it's things they just don't want to put in their body. At worst the opposite of clean eating is eating 'undesirable' things, but since it's more or less defined individually, I hardly see how that's prblematic. Food is always desriable or undesirable on an individual basis - just because I hate celery because it tastes icky to me, and therefore its undesirable and I don't want to eat it, does that somehow affect you and your relationship with celery? If it does, that's a problem with you, not with me.

People all have different views on what is healthy or unhealthy, and what they want to put in their body. If someone wants to chose not to put animal products, or processed food, or pesticides, or GMOs into their body, why do you care? Its their personal food choices, and you shouldn't get to judge them for it, even if what you're judging is how they describe their eating style.

I think it's argumentative to try and say that labelling something clean MUST mean that anything else is dirty, and that it's ridiculous to judge a way of eating on nothing more than its name. Naming conventions aren't about being perfectly descriptive, they're about being catchy. If you have to get all philosophical to find a good argument against a person choosing to eat clean, I think you're really reaching. That, and clean's a perfectly acceptable way of describing most of these food plans. They're based largely on eliminating undesirable (defined by each individual or individual plan) elements from our food and diet - that's one meaning of clean.

It can't be forgotten that words have many meanings or slightly different meanings depending on context. Yes, in some contexts clean and dirty have moral connotations; in others, they really really don't. Reading those kinds of things into this context is quite beside the point and actually rather inappropriate. I'd say that to anyone on either side of the debate, but honestly, I've only ever seen it from clean eating bashers.

Bolded part is false! There are a lot of elitist clean eaters that will come out of the woodwork to label a single food item as bad, dirty, junk, etc.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I totallty never wash my celery bundles. I ususally flick the dirt and dead bugs off of them at my cubicle desk, scoop out some peanut butter, double dipping of course, and stick it in my mouth.

I also can't remember the last time I washed my hands while eating at the barn after cleaning a stall of wiping poop off my horse bare handed.

Im a dirty, dirty eater.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I love it when people get there knickers in a twist about what things are called!

Can't question the healthiness of a diet so I will piss and whine that it's called the wrong thing!

I know these things make you guys mad - but seriously!

8753697.gif
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I love it when people get there knickers in a twist about what things are called!

Can't question the healthiness of a diet so I will piss and whine that it's called the wrong thing!

I know these things make you guys mad - but seriously!

8753697.gif

+1!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Do you scrub yours with soap and water before you eat it? I do. :-P
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    In to read later.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Right TennisDude.

Someone who's not Paleo telling me I'm not Paleo is just about as valid as someone who's not a clean eater telling a clean eater their diet isn't clean.

But, sometimes it's good to have something to argue about, and diet theories are relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things.

(I will now patiently await someone to search my journal and see that I ate OMG PIZZA!!! this week!)

Make sure to point out that PIZZA is NOT paleo.
  • dgeorgiadis
    dgeorgiadis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    oh rats!! another soul that won't give me his candy since he'll eat it... this sucks... Please please promote 'clean' eating so that there will be more unclean food for me.

THIS DEFINITELY.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad this got posted today ...

I can have my Jersey Tomato Pie pizza all for my husband and myself.... and then I can wash it down with my wine. And don't have to worry sharing it with Clean Eating folks.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    Just for interest a study claiming that whole food is better than processed food!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20613890
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I'm so glad this got posted today ...

I can have my Jersey Tomato Pie pizza all for my husband and myself.... and then I can wash it down with my wine. And don't have to worry sharing it with Clean Eating folks.

I think you're okay, most clean eaters have the sense to stay away from the flame baiting threads - maybe they know what the outcome will be:

Out numbered and shouted down to!
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of eating minimally processed foods, but I am in no way a "clean" eater. I've never really researched the diet and didn't know that there were so many different versions of it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Right TennisDude.

Someone who's not Paleo telling me I'm not Paleo is just about as valid as someone who's not a clean eater telling a clean eater their diet isn't clean.

But, sometimes it's good to have something to argue about, and diet theories are relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things.

(I will now patiently await someone to search my journal and see that I ate OMG PIZZA!!! this week!)

Make sure to point out that PIZZA is NOT paleo.

Simple, ask a clean eater what clean eating, 99% of the time, they do not adhere to their own definition. But apparently that isn't valid