Your food is no cleaner than mine

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Most of all cancers feed off sugar. Want cancer? Eat up. (Only a few rare varieties feed off of one or two amino acids, vast majority of cancers feed off sugar)

I got this from a book written by an educated doctor

Yes, I also trust doctors that write books. Here's a clue: they are usually fear-mongering.

Funny how people can get cancer without eating sugar, and people can eat lots of sugar and never get cancer. Hmm...

Most doctors will tell you that getting cancer is largely genetic.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Most of all cancers feed off sugar. Want cancer? Eat up. (Only a few rare varieties feed off of one or two amino acids, vast majority of cancers feed off sugar)

I got this from a book written by an educated doctor

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1267946-stop-singling-out-sugar?page=6#posts-19881860

one of many

Because so many uneducated edoctors practice medicine... (sarcasm)
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    But I would ask from an health and nutritional point is a clean eating diet inferior to other diets? and if so why?

No it's fine. And no one is saying clean eating is bad. Just the amount of clean eaters telling people who choose to eat some candy or ice cream are doing it wrong is what is annoying. Especially when a lot of new comers get these responses of eliminating some food groups. Restrictions on a diet can help some people, but shouldn't be the first thing recommended, especially with the threat of sugar being evil.
    In reality even those clean eaters adhere to a similar diet as the non clean eaters (80-20). This is why there's friction between these two groups a lot of the time.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    It's not false, I'm saying I've never seen one - I've yet in my life to meet (online or in real life) an elitest clean eater

This cannot be true. You are on the MFP boards. You can't possibly not have come across that.

Right? I don't think I can count the number of "Eat what you want, enjoy getting cancer" posts I have seen from clean eaters.

hey hey now too be fair some of those posts were trolling lol, of course the other half weren't
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. The snarkiest, most aggressive posts I've seen on these boards are from the people who mock newbies who are trying to eat cleaner.

Maybe I also haven't been paying attention, but most of the posts of that type I've seen have been motivated, in my opinion, by the hope that newbies trying to eat cleaner will know that (depending on their goals) they don't have to give up everything they love to eat in order to get where they want to go. I know I wouldn't be down 40 pounds today if I hadn't increased my fruits, veggies, and lean meats, but I also know I wouldn't be here at all if I'd thought I had to completely give up my peanut butter M&Ms.

I hear you, and maybe the commenters I'm referring to are coming from a place of caring about these folks, but the tone of the posts would indicate otherwise. I posted something a while back that was meant to be humorous about hiding my favorite cookies from myself (since my kids love them so I buy them), and immediately I had to defend my decision not to eat the cookies, as if I was some kind of fascist cookie-hater.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    What is if I call my way of eating "The Cut Down On Processed Foods and Grains; Eat More Non-Starchy Vegetables, and Lean Protein Diet?" Is that acceptable? :happy: :laugh: :happy:
    I would call it eating a balanced diet. Why does it need a label?

Because we label everything in life. a lot of people on these forums will be following the principles of IIFYM (label).

I eat a Low carb diet (label), or more accurately to understand what type of carbs it's a primal diet (label).

Anybody that has done any research on diets or has spent time on these forums will understand what strategy someone eats when they say I eat IIFYM, or paleo, or primal or clean or vegan or vegetarian - it keeps things simple.

We do it in all parts of our life.

Oh and by the way - balanced diet? as we all lead very different lives and have different nutritional needs - please can you explain what I would be eating on a balanced diet?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You do realize that by and large the only people who talk about dirty food are those who are against clean eating right? I've never heard any clean eater talk about food being dirty; most don't get close to even judging other people's food choices. Most of the clean eaters I know or those like me who subscribe to the idea of clean eating don't think of clean as being a moral judgment or of other foods are dirty. Usually clean is used in these contexts to mean not possessing things that individual doesn't want to put in their body - therefore, the opposite to clean isn't dirty, it's things they just don't want to put in their body.

LOL :laugh:

Okay, *now* I'm in...

:laugh:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So much of this is based on perception and which particular group of obnoxious people are more prevalent where people live or in their social circle. I mean, I hate the "clean eating" term (because as stated it means nothing, and because you don't need a special "clean eating" diet and recipes to just cook from mostly whole food), and I definitely know people who turn up their noses at the unclean things others eat (without necessarily using the term "dirty" or "unclean," but that's clearly what is meant). On the other hand, I shop at WF and TJ all the time (they are convenient to me and have stuff I like), as well as Jewel, and local green markets, and Costco on occasion. I'm pretty non-discriminating in where I shop. Anyway, I've never gotten the opinion that people in any of these stores care what other shoppers are buying, and it's a fact that both WF and TJ are filled to the brim with processed stuff. (Which from me is not a criticism, just not accepting them as the be-all, end-all of so-called "clean" eaters.) But I'm not saying that other people's co-shoppers aren't annoying, just because mine aren't (at least not because they sneer at what's in others' carts), just that environment makes a difference to perception.

Anyway, I liked: "dieting does not actually make you a better person," since I do think there's a definite undercurrent of "eating healthy makes me a better person" that is common, at least in my particular environment. For some it's not about dieting--they were never fat and in some cases tend to think getting fat is a moral failing, mostly suffered by those of political views they hold in low esteem--but for others it happens around the minute they start dieting, and they may lump their old self in with the disgusting masses. I try to avoid this, but I kind of understand why it happens--it's a lot easier to comply with restrictions if you put a positive spin on it and feel that you are doing something virtuous vs. just not doing something fun (and not eating stuff you used to, or even eating a lot less of stuff you used to is a restriction, no matter how much everyone tries to avoid that term, and no matter if it's a relatively easy one). It's also why it can be easier to comply with any other food restrictions done for positive reasons that make people feel virtuous, whether religious ones or, of course, vegetarian ones.

None of this is meant to refer to the also positive reaction which I think is common, which is feeling good from eating a better diet and perceiving the good feeling (and health generally) as a positive reaction to keep eating better, without being a purist about it or reacting with disgust to food that others eat.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    But I would ask from an health and nutritional point is a clean eating diet inferior to other diets? and if so why?

No it's fine. And no one is saying clean eating is bad. Just the amount of clean eaters telling people who choose to eat some candy or ice cream are doing it wrong is what is annoying. Especially when a lot of new comers get these responses of eliminating some food groups. Restrictions on a diet can help some people, but shouldn't be the first thing recommended, especially with the threat of sugar being evil.
    In reality even those clean eaters adhere to a similar diet as the non clean eaters (80-20). This is why there's friction between these two groups a lot of the time.

Based on the fact that a majority of members on MFP are calorie counting and eating in moderation or IIFYM, I'm not sure how the first message newbies get is anything other than the MFP official guidelines.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    What is if I call my way of eating "The Cut Down On Processed Foods and Grains; Eat More Non-Starchy Vegetables, and Lean Protein Diet?" Is that acceptable? :happy: :laugh: :happy:
    I would call it eating a balanced diet. Why does it need a label?
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^troof
    I don't have a diet.

I just eat.

Exactly!

But, in my everyday life, when people ask me how I lost all my weight I tell them that I lost the weight with Weight Watchers and I keep it off by eating clean. The person nods in an understanding way and we go on with our day. But if I say that here, I will get the WW mockers and haters (OMG - why pay for WW when MFP is free!) and the Clean Eater Debaters (But what do you "mean" by clean eating??).

I don't understand why this topic gets debated so much. I eat. You eat. The common goal is health and fitness (and looking good in the process is a bonus!), how we get to that point is as different as a fingerprint....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My very favorite "clean eater" post ever was earlier this week. The guy was complaining about how the dessert he had at Chili's was 1,500 calories and that he believed in eating, "whole, unprocessed" foods.

*facepalm*
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Oh and by the way - balanced diet? as we all lead very different lives and have different nutritional needs - please can you explain what I would be eating on a balanced diet?

*sigh*
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

*sigh*

Thanks very thoughtful and accurate response. That was pretty much my response to balanced diet:smile:
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You should meet my brother :)
    Every time he starts a new eating style, he immediately forgets that he was all for the style before and every thing else become "crap, foolish, nonsense".

A tease him a lot :) but only for the reason above... last time he explained me that the whole calorie business is crap, foolish, nonsense, there is not such a thing as a calorie, and that we have to eat Paleo, that is, in his world, to eat what our ancestor ate. Because our stomach are made to eat only those things and so on and so on.

(please note that I'm not against Paleo, I'm just pro teasing my brother LOL)

He was telling me that while drinking rice milk.

i asked him if our ancestors drank rice milk, and it it is so important to eat what they ate, why he wasn't out chasing zebras instead of beef that were bred during the millennia.

He got SO angry! Hahahahah!!!

Again: nothing against Paleo, it's just that my brother is SO extreme in all that he does... for a few months :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    When anyone tells me about their clean eating or Paleo diet or Primal etc etc... I just wonder what fad they're going to try next.

+1
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. The snarkiest, most aggressive posts I've seen on these boards are from the people who mock newbies who are trying to eat cleaner.

Maybe I also haven't been paying attention, but most of the posts of that type I've seen have been motivated, in my opinion, by the hope that newbies trying to eat cleaner will know that (depending on their goals) they don't have to give up everything they love to eat in order to get where they want to go. I know I wouldn't be down 40 pounds today if I hadn't increased my fruits, veggies, and lean meats, but I also know I wouldn't be here at all if I'd thought I had to completely give up my peanut butter M&Ms.

I hear you, and maybe the commenters I'm referring to are coming from a place of caring about these folks, but the tone of the posts would indicate otherwise. I posted something a while back that was meant to be humorous about hiding my favorite cookies from myself (since my kids love them so I buy them), and immediately I had to defend my decision not to eat the cookies, as if I was some kind of fascist cookie-hater.

Yes, I shouldn't claim to know the motivation behind some of the "tough love" I see on the forums, but I am a Pollyanna and hope for the best. You Cookie Nazi. :laugh: I hide food too, but I have to hide my peanut butter M&Ms or the kids will eat them up. And they are MY treat!
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    So I wonder, is there a label that won't get everyone worked up? If I choose to eat mostly whole foods, and try to minimize the amount of processed foods I eat, is there a term I can use to describe my diet without pissing everyone off? And what if I don't do it 100% of the time, but just try to adhere to it as a lifestyle choice? Can I still use this label (yet to be coined) to describe my preferred way of eating? Why don't the oracles on this thread come up with one, and then we can all go on our merry way.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    I love it when people get there knickers in a twist about what things are called!

Can't question the healthiness of a diet so I will piss and whine that it's called the wrong thing!

I know these things make you guys mad - but seriously!

8753697.gif

+1
  • Vigilance88
    Vigilance88 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Based on the fact that a majority of members on MFP are calorie counting and eating in moderation or IIFYM, I'm not sure how the first message newbies get is anything other than the MFP official guidelines.

True, because it's widely accepted by most people here. But there's plenty of misinformation and bad advice being thrown around here. It does get shut down quickly by a lot of people though :drinker: