Your food is no cleaner than mine

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    [quote/]

And at the same time, there are thousands of comment also calling the mentioned foods "junk", "unheatlhy", "gross", "garbage", etc.

I especially love it when people then try to backpedal and say things like, "Oh. I'm not judging what others eat but I eat "real" food."

Rrrriiiggghhhttt..
    [quote/]

As I said in my post; my experience is what it is and your mileage might very well vary.....:o).
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You do realize that by and large the only people who talk about dirty food are those who are against clean eating right? I've never heard any clean eater talk about food being dirty; most don't get close to even judging other people's food choices. Most of the clean eaters I know or those like me who subscribe to the idea of clean eating don't think of clean as being a moral judgment or of other foods are dirty. Usually clean is used in these contexts to mean not possessing things that individual doesn't want to put in their body - therefore, the opposite to clean isn't dirty, it's things they just don't want to put in their body. At worst the opposite of clean eating is eating 'undesirable' things, but since it's more or less defined individually, I hardly see how that's prblematic. Food is always desriable or undesirable on an individual basis - just because I hate celery because it tastes icky to me, and therefore its undesirable and I don't want to eat it, does that somehow affect you and your relationship with celery? If it does, that's a problem with you, not with me.

People all have different views on what is healthy or unhealthy, and what they want to put in their body. If someone wants to chose not to put animal products, or processed food, or pesticides, or GMOs into their body, why do you care? Its their personal food choices, and you shouldn't get to judge them for it, even if what you're judging is how they describe their eating style.

I think it's argumentative to try and say that labelling something clean MUST mean that anything else is dirty, and that it's ridiculous to judge a way of eating on nothing more than its name. Naming conventions aren't about being perfectly descriptive, they're about being catchy. If you have to get all philosophical to find a good argument against a person choosing to eat clean, I think you're really reaching. That, and clean's a perfectly acceptable way of describing most of these food plans. They're based largely on eliminating undesirable (defined by each individual or individual plan) elements from our food and diet - that's one meaning of clean.

It can't be forgotten that words have many meanings or slightly different meanings depending on context. Yes, in some contexts clean and dirty have moral connotations; in others, they really really don't. Reading those kinds of things into this context is quite beside the point and actually rather inappropriate. I'd say that to anyone on either side of the debate, but honestly, I've only ever seen it from clean eating bashers.

^^^^THIS!

Couldn't agree more.
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    In general, when I find someone who is super stuck on the clean, pure, natural, holiness of their food, I assume they're, in some very solid way, substituting food for where ideas about sexual morality would be on their inner map.

As a species, we're a little fixated on attaching non-anxiety-producing meaning anything engulfed by a body part.

So, slap that in Freud's cigar and smoke it.

/end being above it all
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    In general, when I find someone who is super stuck on the clean, pure, natural, holiness of their food, I assume they're, in some very solid way, substituting food for where ideas about sexual morality would be on their inner map.

As a species, we're a little fixated on attaching non-anxiety-producing meaning anything engulfed by a body part.

/end being above it all

You do know that Freud was crazy....right ?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    The only people here who boast & brag about their food are the "dirty eaters." I don't see clean eaters posting threads about "30 day spinach challenges" or "30 day apple challenges."

"Dirty eaters" are the only people here who try to push their diet beliefs on others.

Yes, you can eat cake and lose weight. Yes, you can eat Chipotle and lose weight. Yes, you can eat pizza and lose weight. The fact of the matter is there are plenty of people out there who simply don't want to incorporate those foods into their diet because 1) they don't have the willpower to do so, 2) it isn't worth the calories, and 3) it isn't worth the crappy feeling you experience afterward.

It's all fine and dandy that there are people here who can eat whatever the hell they want all while losing weight. But the reality is that not everyone is mentally capable of that. Not everyone is in the right frame of mind to do that. Telling someone who weighs 400 lbs and has a fast food obsession that it's fine for them to eat fast food during their weight loss initially is NOT going to go over well. This person needs to avoid fast food because they simply aren't ready to eat fast food in moderation yet. They don't know what moderation is because they've never counted calories or macros before.

That's where you "dirty eaters" go wrong.
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The only people here who boast & brag about their food are the "dirty eaters." I don't see clean eaters posting threads about "30 day spinach challenges" or "30 day apple challenges."

"Dirty eaters" are the only people here who try to push their diet beliefs on others.

Yes, you can eat cake and lose weight. Yes, you can eat Chipotle and lose weight. Yes, you can eat pizza and lose weight. The fact of the matter is there are plenty of people out there who simply don't want to incorporate those foods into their diet because 1) they don't have the willpower to do so, 2) it isn't worth the calories, and 3) it isn't worth the crappy feeling you experience afterward.

It's all fine and dandy that there are people here who can eat whatever the hell they want all while losing weight. But the reality is that not everyone is mentally capable of that. Not everyone is in the right frame of mind to do that. Telling someone who weighs 400 lbs and has a fast food obsession that it's fine for them to eat fast food during their weight loss initially is NOT going to go over well. This person needs to avoid fast food because they simply aren't ready to eat fast food in moderation yet. They don't know what moderation is because they've never counted calories or macros before.

So, I should assume anyone new to MFP is wholly incapable of moderation and can't grasp the concept of counting calories? I must have been a freak of nature.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Peter-Griffin-Who-the-hell-cares-GIFS.gif

Seriously. I'm not a healthy eater by any means, love me some pop tarts icecream or whatever but this is getting so old :yawn: Eat what you wanna eat, let others eat what they wanna eat, no need to brag about your ice cream/gelato cleanse or whatever it is you're doing. WHO CARES /end thread
    Why not? Why can't we brag about our ice cream/gelato cleanse? Does it make you uncomfortable? Does it give you the urge to lose self control and go eat some? Are you jealous? Do you even gelato?

I'm assuming jealousy...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

/end being above it all

Cocaine-induced delirium.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Junk food is a legitimate terms - what's wrong with it?

Nope. I'ts food shaming.

Actually it was totally made-up back a few decades ago. It has no legitimacy, just like the term "empty calories" has no legitimacy.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Oh fatfree, I'm disappointed. Especially considering I consider you one of my most supportive friend yet I'm pretty sure I'm probably one of the "dirtiest eaters" on your friends list.

You are one of the "dirty eaters" on my FL. I have a lot of "dirty eaters" on my FL though. I don't shame you or them for eating cake, ice cream, cookies, bagels, etc. I think it's great. My problem is when people who eat "dirty" don't understand that not everyone is going to have the willpower to eat those foods in moderation. It is hard for many people to eat "dirty foods" in moderation, especially those who are new to calorie counting, like I said in my first post.
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Peter-Griffin-Who-the-hell-cares-GIFS.gif

Seriously. I'm not a healthy eater by any means, love me some pop tarts icecream or whatever but this is getting so old :yawn: Eat what you wanna eat, let others eat what they wanna eat, no need to brag about your ice cream/gelato cleanse or whatever it is you're doing. WHO CARES /end thread
    Why not? Why can't we brag about our ice cream/gelato cleanse? Does it make you uncomfortable? Does it give you the urge to lose self control and go eat some? Are you jealous? Do you even gelato?

I'm assuming jealousy...

Totally jealousy on my part; ice cream gives me a tummy ache. Now I could get in on a chocolate cleanse. Starting with one of these: http://chuaochocolatier.com/firecracker.html

Chocolate and pop rocks? Genius.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

/end being above it all

... probably as a result of not eating clean. :tongue:
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

/end being above it all

... probably as a result of not eating clean. :tongue:

Pretty sure the cocaine didn't help either.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I'm clearly not very convincing in my argument that the term "clean eating" is not a personal attack or judgment. Nor am I convincing in my argument that labels can be useful as a way to shortcut language. So, I'm out.

I too am tiring of the clean eating debate on MFP. From now on, instead of saying I'm a clean eater, I'm just going to say I'm a locavore. I'm sure someone on MFP will complain about that term as well :laugh:
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    In, for later.
  • aliann30
    aliann30 Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Thank you, I totally agree.

Some people have legitimate issues with moderating. I was just telling my husband about moderation today after he refused to eat a couple peanut butter crackers, then he finally just told me "look, I CAN'T just eat in moderation right now" - and I get it. I struggle too, it's why I'm here. You bring sweet food (sorry because I'm not allowed to say "junk food" I'm really not sure what to call it...I mean apples are sweet but that's not what I'm referring to) into the house and it's like this nervous tick in the back of my mind to get rid of it.

When I see someone on my friend's list eating "dirty" I don't think "wow that's disgusting, they should be ashamed"...I think "wow that's amazing, I wish I could eat that stuff and lose so much weight".

I've personally been searching for a very long time for something that works for me, because my body just doesn't respond well to carbs and sugar. I never claimed to be a clean eater (I'm far from it), but when I started Whole30 I heard plenty from people who somehow took personal offense to my choosing to try a different approach for 30 days. They made it a point to tell me all the ice cream and desserts they ate everyday and were still able to lose 100 lbs. Honestly, it made me feel like s*** because I'd been at it for over a year and only lost 50 lbs, so what was I doing wrong? (This is a rhetorical question, not looking for advice here btw).

I'm not for "clean" eaters bashing anyone either but isn't this thread doing the same thing on the opposite side? Saying that people are just jealous and lashing out because they can't eat a tub of ice cream everyday and stay fit like you can...so why are you lashing out at people calling it "clean"? If you have no problems with what you're eating and it's working for you, congratulations, be confident in it, and answer to no one.

*Edited to remove the word "junk food" from my post.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    Right TennisDude.

Someone who's not Paleo telling me I'm not Paleo is just about as valid as someone who's not a clean eater telling a clean eater their diet isn't clean.

But, sometimes it's good to have something to argue about, and diet theories are relatively harmless in the grand scheme of things.

(I will now patiently await someone to search my journal and see that I ate OMG PIZZA!!! this week!)

Make sure to point out that PIZZA is NOT paleo.

Simple, ask a clean eater what clean eating, 99% of the time, they do not adhere to their own definition. But apparently that isn't valid

Which blows my mind. Do they not realize by saying "I eat clean 80% of the time and 20% I eat what I want"...OH, so...moderation? Like the rest of us?

Do they just need the label?

It's just a way for them to feel superior since they don't have much to brag about!

So why is your label/name of how to eat (moderation, IIFYM, etc.) better than ours? Or is your opinion of a lifestyle/diet that you must follow it to the letter 100% of the time, no exceptions ever, or you're not following it? What about diets that PURPOSEFULLY have you follow an 80%/20% type of plan? What do you call those then?

It's INCREDIBLY rude, arrogant and superior to say that those whe call themselves clean eaters are just doing it to be superior becuase they have nothing else to brag about. Labels exist to be an easier way of describing something - instead of specifically stating everything you do or don't eat, or everything you think about food, it's much more practical to simply say clean, or Primal, or IIFYM, etc.You label your way of eating too - so are you just a person who wants a label to feel superior because you have nothing to brag about?

I fully agree! The problem is on the forum it i those who are vocally not clean eater that start these threads solely to stir the pot. They are not going to say anything that would make me change the way I eat nor do I expect anything I say to change the way they eat. While I can't speak for all clean eaters, I'm sure they feel the same way. I honestly don't care what anyone else eat! It makes me wonder if the so called unclean eaters are lacking some dietary nutrient that brings out their aggression towards the word clean :laugh:

I've watched quite a few people change their minds over time and move from "clean" eating to IIFYM. Look at the diets of all so many of us who have lost, kept it off, and recomped.

Well, over the past 30 plus years I have become quite attached to my way of eating, thank-you very much. I can guarantee you I won't be changing my diet of choice!
  • jmv7117
    Options
    The original article really helped me put my finger on why I find 'clean' eaters so objectionable sometimes - usually I truly don't mind hearing about what people eat, especially when it's working for them long-term (one of those miraculous lifestyle changes we hear about).

I do mind, however, when people complain that they're eating clean but still not losing weight, or assume that I'm eating clean because I'm trying to lose weight. IMO, 'clean' is more of a marketing term. You can sell books based on the premise of clean-eating, your magazine will sell more if it contains clean recipes, and clean-eating websites can generate loads of ad revenue.

No one is making money on the eat-whatever-you-want-but-learn-portion-control and move-more and lift-heavy-so-you-can-eat-even-MORE diet. Yet.

Isn't that the premise of Jenny Craig? There's a few other diets taking this approach as well. Go through everydiet.org and you will find them.