Foods aren't unhealthy, diets are.

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Unhealthy foods make a healthy diet less healthy.

I must be the only person on MFP who believes in healthy and unhealthy foods. And while I'm admitting my shameful secrets I also don't believe in "food relationships". So any concerns anyone might have that I'm damaging "my relationship with food" by using "judgmental" words like bad, good and cheat day are misguided. :drinker:

Nope you are not alone. I'm glad for some of these people that their chocolate cake holds them at night and always lets them be the little spoon, and their Chunky Monkey whispers to them that it still thinks they're sexy. I however, just want to eat my food and get on with my life.

I hope you are not suggesting that food is just fuel!!!!

You caught me! That's exactly what I was suggesting. I'll just show myself out now.

So someone can't use ice cream as fuel? The only way they can have it is if they're trying to replace some emotional hole in their lives (just going by how you've put things). Personally, I've found it quite useful to have to help me meet my fat macros for the week.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

I must be the only person on MFP who believes in healthy and unhealthy foods. And while I'm admitting my shameful secrets I also don't believe in "food relationships". So any concerns anyone might have that I'm damaging "my relationship with food" by using "judgmental" words like bad, good and cheat day are misguided. :drinker:

Nope you are not alone. I'm glad for some of these people that their chocolate cake holds them at night and always lets them be the little spoon, and their Chunky Monkey whispers to them that it still thinks they're sexy. I however, just want to eat my food and get on with my life.

Why are you suggesting that people are using food as a replacement for some emotional need?

And what do you think is happening when people use terms like "healthy relationship with food", "food shaming", and "demonizing of food"?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

You never indulge in anything that's calorie sparse or that you consider 'less than healthy'?
  • VoodooSyxx
    Options

You never indulge in anything that's calorie sparse or that you consider 'less than healthy'?

Not while my focus is on cutting weight, no. Maybe one day, on special occasion, once I'm at goal.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Why are you suggesting that people are using food as a replacement for some emotional need?

And what do you think is happening when people use terms like "healthy relationship with food", "food shaming", and "demonizing of food"?

Because there are people that do have "emotional" ties to food in regards to literally fearing foods to the point of disordered eating or even possible eating disorders.

It can also lead to such rigid behaviours and thinking that one slip ends up in a rage quit or again, aggravation/development of disordered eating.

So discouraging these types of things (i.e. food shaming, demonizing) does fall in the emotional set of things in regards to behaviour.

But inferring that all people that consume things, like ice cream, are somehow sexually attached to them (or lack of emotional contact/sex, etc leads to them substituting with ice cream all the time and it being the only reason) is rather condescending....or even a possible projection of your own issues with food.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Because there are people that do have "emotional" ties to food in regards to literally fearing foods to the point of disordered eating or even possible eating disorders.

It can also lead to such rigid behaviours and thinking that one slip ends up in a rage quit or again, aggravation/development of disordered eating.

So discouraging these types of things (i.e. food shaming, demonizing) does fall in the emotional set of things in regards to behaviour.

But inferring that all people that consume things, like ice cream, are somehow sexually attached to them (or lack of emotional contact/sex, etc leads to them substituting with ice cream all the time and it being the only reason) is rather condescending....or even a possible projection of your own issues with food.

Most people on these forums are condescending - it's the official language of the MFP general forums - didn't you know!
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Most people on these forums are condescending - it's the official language of the MFP general forums - didn't you know!

Most people tend to be blunt and a bit snarky, but not really condescending. Most. There are a few that definitely fit in with your description :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Complains about condescension while being condescending. Interesting.
  • VoodooSyxx
    Options

It's almost as if you're getting a bit, I dunno what's the word, emotionally charged over this. Maybe if you tried thinking of food as fuel and letting go of the food relationship nonsense, it'd help a bit.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

It's almost as if you're getting a bit, I dunno what's the word, emotionally charged over this. Maybe if you tried thinking of food as fuel and letting go of the food relationship nonsense, it'd help a bit.

Nope :laugh: Not emotionally charged at all. But interesting that that's how you chose to take the imaginary tone of the writing, unless you're just trying to make a dig/bait me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Sorry I'm late, guys...(was just finishing off a salad and was out earlier for a couple of Freddy's double cheeseburgers).

So, what'd I miss?
  • brower47
    Options

Maybe she's just concerned about people other than herself and wants to encourage people that might have or had eating disorders in the past to be healthier. Though I don't see any of her posts as being emotionally charged, I do see them as justifiably concerned about the welfare of others.
  • brower47
    Options
    Sorry I'm late, guys...(was just finishing off a salad and was out earlier for a couple of Freddy's double cheeseburgers).

So, what'd I miss?

Me. You missed me. :wink:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Junk food is usually very calorie dense and can easily overtake the bulk of your daily calories if your not careful though. Seriously who only eats 1/2 cup of icecream? Or a measley 1 oz of chips. Want a slice of cheesecake? Easily 700 calories and up lol

You'll find several entries of a serving of ice cream (or less) in my diary from February-April of this year during my pre-summer cut. Fortunately, I'm back to maintenance now and can have more, but it's definitely possible to control the amount of any food you eat. (The "secret", of course, is that you don't try to adhere to too strict a calorie deficit such that you are fighting legitimate hunger needs.)

Oh, that was also during Girl Scout cookie time, so you'll also find days where I had one cookie.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Complains about condescension while being condescending. Interesting.

I don't mind condescension, or sarcasm - if I did mind it ,I wouldn't be on these forums.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Junk food is usually very calorie dense and can easily overtake the bulk of your daily calories if your not careful though. Seriously who only eats 1/2 cup of icecream? Or a measley 1 oz of chips. Want a slice of cheesecake? Easily 700 calories and up lol

If I want cheesecake, I usually share it with someone. This allows me to have my cheesecake, and eat it too! :wink:

Great message OP. :flowerforyou:
  • ccf_trainer
    ccf_trainer Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Normally, I don't reply to many posts, but WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm not trying to sell anyone anything?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Funny. That's what most say about your threads.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

Nice profile pic!

Selling much?