Food prices that piss you off

Options
jec285
jec285 Posts: 145 Member
Just curious what foods you guys love, that are healthy, that you can't buy all the time because the price is not worth it/worth it but still a bit expensive to eat regularly.

For me it's gotta be cherry tomatoes (or really tomatoes in general), and frozen fish.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago, my local supermarket wanted $7 for a cauliflower. For a freaking CAULIFLOWER!

Cherry tomatoes are damned expensive, and so easy to grow, so I go without in the off season and have plants on my balcony in the growing season.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Really good steak. WAAAAY to expensive.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I buy Jack Link's beef sticks for my lunches, but they're five bucks for six of them. :( Also, I don't really have to explain Quest bars.
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    I love fresh Salmon but have to opt for frozen most times because it's so expensive.
  • She_Hulk
    She_Hulk Posts: 277
    Options
    Asparagus.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Fresh salmon.
  • jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Really good steak. WAAAAY to expensive.

I love cube steak, thank god. Can usually get a pound of it for under $5 because of some sort of weekly sale at the grocery market. Occasionally I'll get sirloin strip, but I buy it in bulk and portion it out for like 4-5 meals.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Fage. It just went up to $7 at my store. I only buy it if it's on sale, otherwise I buy the store brand, or whatever else is on sale. Also, Quest bars. I miss Quest bars! :sad:
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bottled Water lol
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Quality fresh fish gets more expensive every year it seems. Fresh berries can also get expensive when they aren't in season.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Bacon
    Honeycrisp apples
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Milk.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Asparagus $8.99 swear :noway: but I can buy a bag of chips for $1.50! Score!! :laugh:
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms here are 5 dollars a pound. Screw THAT. I wait until they're on a 2 for 1 sale.
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Growing own vegetables in standing gardens. Buy in large packages for rolled oats, chicken breasts. Get black beans, nuts, seeds in bulk section. Look for sales such as two for the price of one.
  • Sueb1420
    Sueb1420 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Limes. I needed limes this weekend and they are 2 for a $1.00 at the grocery store and for 2 at the Farmers Market it would be $1.50. Only a few years back I got 10 limes for a $1.00 at both locations.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Limes. I needed limes this weekend and they are 2 for a $1.00 at the grocery store and for 2 at the Farmers Market it would be $1.50. Only a few years back I got 10 limes for a $1.00 at both locations.

Limes have really gone up. They were $.69 each at Aldi's the other day - I was making a soup and needed like 10 of them. Not a huge deal, but they are definitely high compared to what they used to be.

Shrimp is the one that gets me. We shop stuff on sale and freeze stuff, even steak and fish (it's not like we're getting fresh salmon in Missouri anyway) and can usually find a decent price and stock up, but no go on the shrimp. Almost seems cheaper to eat shrimp at a restaurant than at home anymore.

Also, dairy products. Buying 2-3 gallons of milk a week + cheese and yogurt and sour cream I've really noticed that the price has gone up a lot lately. No joke, when we're not stocking up on meat, I think half of our weekly grocery bill could be dairy products!

ETA: forgot about the bacon!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Milk.

Yep, that too. And it pisses me off when people compare the price of milk to the price of gas, because I don't go through 2 gallons of milk a day.
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any other meat other than chicken breasts or thighs!! I can always count on getting some chicken boobs or thighs for at least 1.99# or less but every other meat product like steak, fish or even ground beef/turkey is more expensive per # so I can't eat as much of the other stuff as I want ????
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I find it annoying when the price per unit for bulk is more than the price per unit for the small size. Even if it is a penny, I'll buy several small packages.