Food prices that piss you off

Options

Replies

• MizMimi111
    MizMimi111 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Fresh produce especially ...grapes never get purchased unless on sale, bananas, the price of lettuce most of the time is criminal!

I'm always so glad to be able access locally grown produce in the summer.
  • bluefire301175
    bluefire301175 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    $20 for an 8 ounce can of crab meat...need I say more.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Bluberries....seriously.....how can something so small be worth so much. It's like the Diamonds of the fruit aisle

And the almonds I like. Cinnamon Roasted ones...just so expensive
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Bacon, makes me so sad. I have never been a couponer, but have been using price match (no way am I driving all over town to save $2.00) And I just found ibotta. Look it up and try it out, I got $12.25 the first time I used it.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Raspberries, like others have already said.

So expensive in Australia.

When we were in UK they had huge punnets for couple of pounds, it was wonderful.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There is not enough space in this box for all the overpriced food.
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Bread. If I want anything other than the cheap stuff, it will cost at least $3 per loaf, and that's before I start considering the calorie cost. Bakery bread is sometimes good but doesn't last long enough. I guess it could be worse, though, since I don't go through bread too too fast.

Fage - In particular the little cups with the strawberry on the side. OMG that stuff is good but it's like $1.50 for one, so getting enough for everyday is totally out Dx I think I've tried every brand of greek yogurt the local stores carry (barring generic, just not willing to go there) and Fage is the beeeeest, followed closely by Muller. Dx
  • ReallyBigJAWS
    Options
    Pretty much everything low-cal and/or a healthier alternative to it's counterpart.

I love milk/using milk for a lot of things in my diet so I saw it fit to start investing in unsweetened almond milk, being it's only 30cal per 8oz. My only saving grace is the occasional coupon that makes it around 2.50 per carton, where as normally it's $3+. Where as I could buy a gallon of non-fat milk for around 2.90.

Fiber-based stuff such as breads and the like. Not too much more expensive but still enough.

Almost all fruit..Bananas seem to ever be the only fruit that is a decent price all the time.

Nuts and jerky. Jerky is so damned crazy-priced I've considered spending $50 on a dehydrator to make it myself.

SWEETENERS. For a small box of like 40 packets the stuff is around $5.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    The entire produce section, minus a few goodies my digestive system pitches a fit over like clockwork. Mushrooms would have to top that list though. Not to mention beef.
  • keyer23
    keyer23 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Blueberries are up $2.00 more per half pint than they were two weeks ago. A half pint of conventional blueberries is $5.99 per half pint, $6.99 or more for organic. That is absurd. You'd think it was the middle of winter at those prices. I also eat a lot of Nova Salmon which is expensive. But you get what you pay for with that one!
  • EmGetsFit
    EmGetsFit Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Raspberries, blackberries, soy milk, salmon...
  • lilmissmanx
    lilmissmanx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Meat, fresh or frozen is becoming ridiculous. Tinned tuna is also a total joke.
    I also find it really annoying when you know that the supermarket stocks a budget option, but never seems to have it in stock. The price label is right there, teasing you, next to the one they do have in stock that costs 3 times more. Sultanas in my local tesco are 84p per 500g (budget), or £3.11 for 1kg (still own brand, probably no difference between the 2 except a nicer bag).
    RAGE!
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Watermelon. WTF, they are $9 for a REALLY small one (barely the size of a football!)

Makes me miss Texas -.-

Aspurgus aren't actually as expensive as they get the rep for - I can get 400g for $3, which is only slightly more than what I would pay for other veggies.

I've decided to eat a lot more shrimp and molluscs, and I don't have a very clear picture of what they cost... You can get them very expensive, but I think they also come in discount qualiity, so I'm gonna go with that :b
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Everything. Welcome to Finland.

But especially fish. It's über expensive and I hardly ever can afford to buy it.
  • ThisCharmingFellow
    ThisCharmingFellow Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I adore smoked salmon. It's always been something of a luxury item but it is unbelievably expensive these days, very hard for me to to justify buying it instead of something else.
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    Watermelon. WTF, they are $9 for a REALLY small one (barely the size of a football!)

Makes me miss Texas -.-

Ah! Even when they're in season?That's highway robbery! :noway:
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I live in the UK...

They don't tax Pasties....

They tax my protein powder...

Do I really need to say more?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Just to horrify the Americans, last Halloween I went to buy a carving pumpkin (in Australia) and a medium on was $32. Yup, THIRTY-TWO dollars. I get they're out of season then but crimminy!!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I find cherry tomatoes cheap here, and frozen fish is expensive but I usually stock up when the special offers are there :D

One thing I'd love to buy more of is lamb, but I'm not paying that price to have all the time!!
    I live in the UK...

They don't tax Pasties....

They tax my protein powder...

Do I really need to say more?

I have no problem with pasties staying tax free, I like pasties. I really don't see why they're taxing something that is a nutritional supplement, it goes alongside a healthy lifestyle. Isn't that what they don't want to tax??
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower and Asparagus. Way too expensive. I hope to grow a few of my own things this year.