Food prices that piss you off

Replies

• marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    I live in the UK...

They don't tax Pasties....

They tax my protein powder...

Do I really need to say more?

That and it's near IMPOSSIBLE to find a decent vegan protein powder that isn't full of soya. The amount I have to pay for Sunwarrior is criminal.
  • alg42
    alg42 Posts: 45 Member
    Melon - any kind is ridiculously overpriced and I hate buying prepared packet melon
    Soft fruits like raspberries or blueberries - utterly ridiculou
  • That's crazy. Last week I saw cauliflowers for $1 (Australia). I bough one, even though I didn't want one. It was perfect too.
    Avocados have been expensive here this summer though $4 each....
  • RPM86
    RPM86 Posts: 3
    Ignore
  • deannc1
    deannc1 Posts: 91 Member
    This spring I am planting as much as I can. We buy beef from a local farmer, grass fed hormone free @ $2.15/lb. We get 1/2 cow at a time which equals approx 400 lbs hanging weight (gotta save to buy it, but it lasts forever). We get chickens and eggs from the farm too. Whole chicken is about $3.00 and brown eggs are $1.00. Where we live hubby fishes for salmon, bass, perch and bluegill. Lots of apple orchards here so thats not a problem. Seafood, ie shrimp, crab, etc. Citrus fruits, avocados (which I love) cannot be fished for or grown here, so it is outrageously expensive. Last year I paid $6.99/lb for large frozen shrimp......this year same stuff cost $12.99/lb. :mad:
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Egg prices are ridiculous
  • Ariadne83
    Ariadne83 Posts: 36 Member
    I always plan to buy lots of nuts and seeds so I can have these as snacks instead of biscuits and chocolate, but am often put off by the price.
  • Neliel88
    Neliel88 Posts: 42 Member
    Coconut sugar! I can only get it from extortionate health food shops and it's something ridiculous like £8 for 500g!!!
    And Medjool dates. I want to buy them by the crate but I can only get 250g of them for £2 :'(
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Just paid almost 8 bucks for a net of Babybel cheese and I thought that was outrageous. Maybe I'm just cheap.

Wow after seeing that cost I will no longer complain about $3.49 a bag being high.
  • MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    Most kind of berries unless you want to buy a furry box of them. Agave and Stevia.

And I don't really know if this qualifies because I don't actually eat them or buy but Pine nuts are priced like they're the tears of Jesus Christ.
  • mbmillr
    mbmillr Posts: 28
    Shrimp
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    pretty much everything in the first 3 pages here... spot on..

sad that we are getting pricing "help" on our portion controls.. I think we can see it swinging in the other direction now where good food meals will be getting smaller and smaller to accommodate the rising costs.
  • sgvdms
    sgvdms Posts: 33 Member
    Fruit in the UK, I never buy anything other than apples, bananas and oranges because it's so expensive. Saying that it's about 29p per apple for the cheapest one and can go up to 65p per apple for something like pink lady. It's all relative but to me that is expensive, it never used to be like this.

Meat is also pretty expensive, I buy bags of frozen chicken portions and only ever buy other meat if its in the reduced section and then freeze it, if you know the times to look in the supermarket you can get a good selection of stuff.

I'm pretty sure that I hardly ever see anything which is less than £1 in the aisles I go into in the supermarket. Although if I were to walk down the biscuit aisle I can probably buy 50 custard creams for 20p. Healthy nutritious food is just obscenely expensive.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Pine nuts are priced like they're the tears of Jesus Christ.

agree... I usually will buy nuts for my macaws from nuts.com and then throw in a few extra things for me, kind of helps the pricing out some..
  • emmietoby
    emmietoby Posts: 171 Member
    EVERYTHING !!!
  • carfanman
    carfanman Posts: 271 Member
    Just curious what foods you guys love, that are healthy, that you can't buy all the time because the price is not worth it/worth it but still a bit expensive to eat regularly.

For me it's gotta be cherry tomatoes (or really tomatoes in general), and frozen fish.

healthy food is always worth it to me, what's more important your healthy or saving a few bucks that I can save by trimming elsewhere?
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Bacon, makes me so sad. I have never been a couponer, but have been using price match (no way am I driving all over town to save $2.00) And I just found ibotta. Look it up and try it out, I got $12.25 the first time I used it.

checkout51 is good too and has fresh produce, vegetables, and meat sometimes
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I can't really think of anything. Prices on healthy food are reasonable, I use way less money on food than I did on "food". I buy what I can afford, just more of the cheaper stuff and less of the more expensive stuff. Eat a lot of fruit, vegetables, nuts, eggs, dairy, fish, crisp bread and oatmeal, pasta, potatoes, rice, some meat, cocoa powder, sugar, honey, maple syrup. Buy it as produce and make most of my meals myself. Nothing fancy, but it tastes good and makes me feel amazing! I never buy water that is just water, I drink tap water and bring it along in bottles when needed.
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Wow cannot believe what some of you have to pay for groceries! I am not an extreme couponer by all means, but do know of a deal for fresh fruit......driscolls fresh fruit has a code on the bottom.....enter this and take a quick survey over the package you just ate and they will email you a coupon that you can print twice! :) The more surveys you take the value of the coupon goes up! Raspberries are on sale here this week for .99 and with my .75 coupons I'm getting them for .25!!! Last week strawberries were on sale and I was getting them for 1.75 for the big 32oz pack!!
  • Gwennie9476
    Gwennie9476 Posts: 45 Member
    Blueberries...I absolutely adore them and for the pete's sake...$4 bucks for 6 oz. UGH!