Options

Replies

• AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    you burn like 50 calories an hour in a hot tub
    [/quote]

Dang it, only 50 calories an hour? That's totally negated by the wine I drink while in the hot tub - well *kitten*, I need to go back to Zumba!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    22156.png
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Imagining what the world would be like without condescending *kitten*...

I have been asked a lot on what I do, so I made it easy and posted it. So... if you could kindly exhibit more reasonable behavior and move on, it would be appreciated. I'm sorry I inadvertently triggered your troll button.

Maybe those things you posted work for you, but not everyone.............

I do the complete opposite on some of the things you posted and I am healthier than I have been in a long, long time.

The only way to build muscle and boost your metabolism is through strength training. Cardio doesn't boot fat burning power, but added muscle does as muscle burns more calories.

I do some slow walking with some short bursts of sprints and weight training and at my weight I wear smaller clothes than some people that weigh 30 or 40 pounds less than I do.

I eat a high fat, moderate protein, lowish carb way of eating (carbs from fruits and vegetables).............
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

This says a high protein diet will help retain bone density. Did you even read the studies you just put up?

RECENT FINDINGS:

Many epidemiological studies have found a significant positive relationship between protein intake and bone mass or density. Similarly, isotopic studies in humans have also demonstrated greater calcium retention and absorption by individuals consuming high-protein diets, particularly when the calcium content of the diet was limiting. High-protein intake may positively impact bone health by several mechanisms, including calcium absorption, stimulation of the secretion of insulin-like growth factor-1, and enhancement of lean body mass. The concept that an increase in dietary protein induces a large enough shift in systemic pH to increase osteoclastic bone resorption seems untenable.
    SUMMARY:

Recent epidemiological, isotopic and meta-analysis studies suggest that dietary protein works synergistically with calcium to improve calcium retention and bone metabolism. The recommendation to intentionally restrict dietary protein to improve bone health is unwarranted, and potentially even dangerous to those individuals who consume inadequate protein.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    This is what I have done to turn myself into a fat burning machine!

1. Nutrition.

When you starve your body of the nutrients it needs it goes into starvation mode. You can be eating like a king yet still starve your body of the nutrients it needs to sustain itself. I suggest adding fruits and vegetables to your daily diet. Fruits should be kept more of a energizing type snack or as a breakfast (which is when lots of us need energy). Vegetables should be at least half of one of your daily meals, but better if it's in two meals. Also lower your animal meat consumption. It's medically proven we ingest too much protein in our diets and it has lead to some awful diseases, but at the very least it contains animal fat. So just think of it as lowering your fat intake.
    Starvation mode is a myth when it comes to weight loss, you will have some adaptation but it will be a small amount. Fruits/veggies yum and healthy so Yep. Breakfast could take it or leave it, your metabolism does not run on a 24 hour clock but breakfast can help some start their day off right...zero to do with weight loss. Protein builds muscle, muscle burns more calories at rest. Fat from natural sources also helps keep you feeling full, this helps most not over eat. So meat is a good thing not to mention the iron that you need, takes a lot of spinach to equal a steak.
    2. Calorie intake

We hear so much flip flop about the importance of calories, but I would just like to say calorie intake is very important. A woman can take in just 10 extra calories a day and gain a pound a year. This means a 5 lbs a year gain is from eating 50 extra calories a day--which is incredibly easy to do with most diets. An average person needs approx 2,000 calories a day. If you want to promote fat burning, you must take in less calories than what your body needs. If you take in too little of calories, you place your body in starvation mode. There are caloric intake charts and generators all over the internet that will help you figure out what your daily calorie intake should be (https://www.exercise.com/tools/bmr-calculator). Personally I have been easy on myself and gave myself a 1,200 to 1,850 calorie intake limit. I have to take in more than 1,200 but no more than 1,850. This way I am not storing fat and I am forcing my body to burn fat to meet it's caloric needs.
    Simple math energy conversion so YES also the reason the above things (paragraph 1) do not matter for weight loss.
    3. Build Muscle

Fat is food for muscles. The more muscle you build, the more your calorie intake needs will be. So now all of a sudden a 2,000 calorie need is more like 2,300 but you keep your intake to under 2,000, you will increase your daily fat burning.
    Muscle takes protein, and you do not (unless just starting or special snowflake) build muscle in a deficient.
    4. Cardio

I hate cardio more than anything! but no one can deny it's fat burning abilities. Adding some cardio a few times a week will also promote extra fat burning, but will not burn fat daily unless performed daily. It is not needed to see results, but will add to the results. If you have a hot tub, try at least sitting in that as often as possible for some light cardio.
    Yes I hate cardio but it does work the best for straight weight loss because it burns the most calories at a time BUT it also burns muscle and only burns calories during the time you are doing cardio. Lifting helps maintain muscles when in a deficient and continues to burn calories after you are done working out while the body repairs the muscles.

Your way may work for you, but most of it is just your own beliefs. Can your way give someone the nutrients they need, help them lose weight and feel good? Sure but it is not the only way and does not turn them into a fat burning machine. Weight loss is calorie in vs calorie out. Nutrition is making sure your body has all the nutrients that it needs including protein and fat. Exercise is for fitness and to eat more. You can burn fat and muscle laying in bed 24/7 and eating ice cream at a deficient. <
    Not recommending :noway:
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I totally agree!! Both about *kitten* and about posting what you do.

Making those key points simple helps anyone reading it.

Posting that we only need 8 grams of protein per day is helping anyone who reads it?

Pls...
  • MissJenniLee
    MissJenniLee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    How am I seeing results, consistent results to my findings if it's all bull****?

Simple. You have consistently ate at a deficit for a given period of time.

But I feel better than ever...

Well who could argue with that kind of scientific evidence?

Why would you argue my personal experience?

Why would any of you bother to read this or post if its all hokey? Was it your goal to make me feel terrible?
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry you guys feel the need to turn someone's success story tips into your own troll-a-thon. Seriously, find something better to do, like working on your poor attitudes. I have just realized this community is full of disrespectful jerks and no longer would like to be a part of it. Enjoy your days and fill yourselves with pride, you have earned it... obviously.

And instead of questioning what I wrote, why don't you do a little research.

In the words of yoda "A bunch of retards you are"

Want to talk about DISRESPECTFUL!?! Have you ever even MET a mentally handicapped person!? If you did you probably wouldn't use the term Retard in a derogatory manner.

So please check yo' self before ya wreck yo' self!

30709bc3c9b060baf771c0b2e2626f95-snow-white-high-five.gif
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    *forehead slap* It's proven we only need 8 grams of protein a day which is in 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. But I'm not arguing with ignorance... it only proves to be mind numbingly annoying.

Where is that proof???? I have never heard such a thing.

That low of protein you will heal very, very slowly from an illness or injury one receives. And that muscle building you spoke about in the original posting...................yeah, not gonna happen with only 8 grams of protein intake.

This is a recipe for skinny fatness all over the place.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    How is sitting in a hot tub considered cardio? :huh:

i'm glad i'm not the only one who caught this.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/mar/04/animal-protein-diets-smoking-meat-eggs-dairy

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21102327

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/03/04/285879644/eat-plants-and-prosper-for-longevity-go-easy-on-the-meat-study-says

Okay, maybe I misremembered the grams of protein needed (not that I have been measuring), but the point being is we need a lot less than what we have been led to believe. Not to mention the source of where you get that protein.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php
    So most journals of medicine and science will agree about .08 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. I think you mixed the .8 gram with 8 grams total. Understandable mistake. Now about that hot tub cardio...................

EDITED to correct .08 to .8

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options

Why would any of you bother to read this or post if its all hokey? Was it your goal to make me feel terrible?

Goal? Nope. Just a bonus.
  • MissJenniLee
    MissJenniLee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm really sorry you guys feel the need to turn someone's success story tips into your own troll-a-thon. Seriously, find something better to do, like working on your poor attitudes. I have just realized this community is full of disrespectful jerks and no longer would like to be a part of it. Enjoy your days and fill yourselves with pride, you have earned it... obviously.

And instead of questioning what I wrote, why don't you do a little research.

In the words of yoda "A bunch of retards you are"

Want to talk about DISRESPECTFUL!?! Have you ever even MET a mentally handicapped person!? If you did you probably wouldn't use the term Retard in a derogatory manner.

So please check yo' self before ya wreck yo' self!

30709bc3c9b060baf771c0b2e2626f95-snow-white-high-five.gif

Digging for reasons to insult me? Does it make you feel like a better person now?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/mar/04/animal-protein-diets-smoking-meat-eggs-dairy

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21102327

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/03/04/285879644/eat-plants-and-prosper-for-longevity-go-easy-on-the-meat-study-says

Okay, maybe I misremembered the grams of protein needed (not that I have been measuring), but the point being is we need a lot less than what we have been led to believe. Not to mention the source of where you get that protein.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php

1. Vegan Propaganda
    2. all have 52+ grams of protein that mention a protein amount, that is almost 7 times the 8 grams you stated.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Barcelona-Scorecard.jpg

For the thread flounce.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    How am I seeing results, consistent results to my findings if it's all bull****?

They read it because the title was catchy. The goal in responding is making sure that no one that is new to weight loss and getting healthy takes your post to heart. It's bad advice and bad advice needs to be soundly refuted.

If you feel bad then you should have done actual research before posting this topic. See it as a lesson learned. You have no where to go but up.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Wait a minute, you're saying I can add "hot tub sitting" to my cardio log?? FFS...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options

Because, as a whole, this community strives to sift the wheat from the chaff. Your post is the chaff.
  • bannedword
    bannedword Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    How is sitting in a hot tub considered cardio? :huh:

i'm glad i'm not the only one who caught this.

I want to meet the person who sits in a hot tub for 60 minutes for the express purpose of burning 50 calories.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, the whole thesis of this thread is that you're doing those four things and they're causing you to burn fat daily. How can you prove you're actually burning fat? If you're drastically under-eating protein (and you said you don't track it so you wouldn't know if this were true or not), there's every chance that you're losing a good percentage of LBM along with fat.
This discussion has been closed.