Food prices that piss you off

Replies

• chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Organic anything. I really would like to eat organically (I know that is a hot button here...I have my own personal reasons for this though...not a huge belief that everybody should eat organic), but its so expensive.
  • *kitten* ake are mushrooms, why would you censor that? Bizarre.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Salmon, definitely! Also: avocados, berries, lean meat in general, crab and scallops. Seafood is a once in a while treat.

Meanwhile, we can get a pizza for $5 to last two of us 2 meals! I'd spend at least that on EACH meal I made with seafood. Unfortunately it's sooo cheap to eat sooo bad!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    *kitten* ake are mushrooms, why would you censor that? Bizarre.

I think you misspelled it, which is why it was censored. It's shiitake!
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Oh and speaking of food prices, I'm sick of the Farm Fresh down the road forcing you to buy all of the items to get the deal. At Food Lion and Kroger you only have to buy one.
  • Slulik
    Slulik Posts: 79 Member
    GRAPES!

Over $8 for under 2 lbs of grapes. WTH!

And spaghetti squash....3 lb squash almost $12. I think not.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Limes. .89 cents each
    Hamburger close to $7 for 1.25 lb.
    Chuck Roast $14 for 2 lbs minus all the fat I had to trim off.
    Deli Roast Beef $10 for 3/4 lb !
    $5 for two portabellas ? Really ?
    And last but not least...bagged salad ! Complete rip off and looks terrible a day or two later.
    But someone out there must not mind...they sure have plenty of choices to choose from.

They have to charge $5 a bag for 50 cents worth of lettuce to maintain their profit margine because of the 575785439875487437432179347267493219784324643261789 bags that sit there rotting because they charge $5. When it goes on sale to $1.50 it miraculously disappears from the shelves and you cant find any. Hmmm go figure.
  • Yep , raspberries here { Scotland/UK } cost about £6-7 { $11-12 } for a pound even more for organic types up to £10 a pound. Fortunately in season they grow abundantly in my vicinity of Perthshire as do Brambles {blackberries} I am sure they must sell brambles somewhere but I honestly do not ever recall seeing them in a supermarket.

Bramble picking brings back a lot of happy {sometimes painful memories , the wild varieties are thorny buggers :happy: } first as child for my Gran then my Mum now for my wife .It is a small price to pay for some delicious Bramble preserves and my particular favourite Bramble fool. Though as I am on the LCHF plan I will not be eating much this year
  • ericalyn73
    ericalyn73 Posts: 79
    Nothing. Pay now or pay later.
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Lamb chops are pretty expensive, I usually buy when they're on offer and freeze. I'm lucky to live near a street market where most fruit and veg are £1 a bowl.

Lamb! I almost forgot about it because it's so expensive I never buy it! The last time I had it was over a year ago and I miss it!

A rack of lamb here is about $22/lb (13 GBP) and never goes on sale. *Sigh* I better save up...
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Raspberries and blueberries have always been expensive. They do go on sale occasionally. I have raspberry plants in the backyard though so come August we'll have a ton.

Bacon is currently extremely expensive due to the pig disease going around.
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Blackberries from UK supermarkets.
    Cost £2.00 for like 12-15 of them! I wouldn't care but come autumn I can gather loads of wild ones from the hedgerows in my part of France. I intend to make sure that I get of my *kitten* this year and collect a big stack of them and then freeze them all (or make some jam maybe). Mmmm - low cal homemade blackberry jam with PB2 peanut butter on wholemeal toast.
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Friggin avocadoes!!!! Maybe they're not that bad, but I started eating them when they were in season and 4/$5....now cheapest you see is $1.99 for one!
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    GRAPES!

Whaaaaaat,

Spaghetti Squash is $1.29/lb here. That would drive me insane!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Nothing. Pay now or pay later.

Are you inviting us over for dinner?
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    GRAPES!

A few years ago there was a bad grape crop, prices skyrocketed. I took a small bag to the cashier and it was $16!!! I didn't buy it.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    *kitten* ake are mushrooms, why would you censor that? Bizarre.

So that was censored??!!! Wow, strange!

(It's Shiitake, with 2 I's, by the way) :)
  • cyrena13
    cyrena13 Posts: 20 Member
    Cherries are always so darn expensive. I feel dubed every year even if I buy a small bag.
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    When I went low carb, my food bill doubled. Still haven't figured out ways to save. Having an Aldi nearby helps a lot.

I'm not sure if I'm going to say anything new but:

Anything with 'Atkins' or 'low carb' in the name (I paid almost $5 for Mission Low Carb Tortillas at Walmart the other day)
    Nuts including Almond Flour
    Cherries (I haven't had cherries in YEARS)
    Grapes (my soon to be husband likes the black grapes, so we buy them occasionally anyway)
    Raspberries ($5 for a small small container at Walmart. Aldi has blackberries pretty regularly for $1.50, but I can't find raspberries for any less than $5)
    Most meat...we live on ground beef and chicken
    Bell peppers (the green ones are usually pretty cheap, but if you want yellow, orange, and red, you pay quite a bit more...usually my fajitas only have green peppers in them)
  • westendcurls
    westendcurls Posts: 252 Member
    Salmon!! well all manner of seafood really but Salmon is definitely my #1. after that any kind of dairy free "dairy" product; ice-cream, yogurt, milk.. its all over priced. it's like being punished twice for being lactose intolerant.