Is losing weight supposed to be hard?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've always read and heard about people complaining about weight loss being too difficult, or that it's too complicated. I'm on day 48 of my weight loss "journey" if you wish to call it that, and there's been absolutely zero challenges I've faced. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, and eat at a 500 calorie deficit and I've lost 16 pounds.
    So what's the big deal with weight loss? Why is it considered to be so impossible?

I'm finishing up my second year and have to agree. I think some people find it hard because they haven't really figured it out yet.

I would agree that it's simple. Easy is another thing. And, if one of my kids got seriously sick, you know that tracking calories would be the last thing on my mind.

I think easy depends on your frame of mind. I have had my own personal stressors, and I have decided not to log here and there, but that's just life. Life sometimes throws you a curve ball, and you have to react.

That doesn't make it *hard* to lose weight, once you find what works. And obviously, I realize that some folks have medical conditions, and some may be on birth control or other meds that directly cause weight gain. I'm not dismissing that. I'm just saying, that for me, I struggled for *YEARS* to figure it out. Once I finally learned how it works, and figured out the right macros/calorie goal for *ME* personally, then it was easy. I used to drop and gain 20 pounds from diet pills and such. Now I'm lighter than I've been since my kiddos, and I've been able to maintain that for over 9 months without tracking daily.

So, that's why I said the people who struggle are people who haven't figured it out. Or they could have some medical condition, which I didn't mention in my earlier comment, but yes, for some, that's simply a fact.

Many of the people who struggle haven't figured it out yet. However, I've had this conversation with my friends list. and some of the people who have been really successful and inspirational, etc. admit to still struggling with it. Different people have different challenges.

That's true.

And there are always exceptions. When I go on my 8 week furlough (coming up), I will likely gain if I don't bust my butt with extra exercise. Reason? I won't have money to intake adequate protein, which for me, the difference between 15% and 20% is *the world*

So yeah, reasons, sure. But that doesn't mean I *have* to gain 78ish pounds back. No. Maybe I'll gain 10 in water weight. Maybe I will take more walks without increasing cals. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. But in spite of my reasons for being unable to do what I must, it's still an easy thing to do when I *am* able to do what I must.
  • dawnawoodward
    dawnawoodward Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I dont think he will make it 20 years,,,,,with his "intelligent" all knowing mental capacity and his "Oh so Charming" personality, I think the closet he is hiding in will reveal no real GF and a secret inner hatred of himself and all people just as he actually decides to fake committing suicide to garner attention only to let his true intelligence show as the faulty planning turns into the real deal.

RIP
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    <Ducking as I write this>

As a 40 year old woman, I found losing weight to be pretty straight-forward and simple. The weight didn't come flying off quickly, but it was steady, reliable and generally easy for me this time around.

My past efforts to lose were difficult and destined for failure because I over-complicated everything with diets, huge calorie deficits, and long lists of forbidden foods. If I went off my rigid track even a little, it always snowballed into a return to the bad habit of overeating all the time and proclaiming myself a failure.

As soon as I realized that all I needed to do is cut a minimal amount of calories from my daily intake (250 in my case) and work harder at moving throughout the day, everything else fell into place. I continued to eat all my favorite foods (not even the diet/light versions). Most days I ate over 2000 calories and still lost consistently. I went from 202 to 152 (my initial goal weight) in about eight months. I went on to lose another 16 pounds over six more months, before finally settling around 136 lbs. (I'm almost 5'9"). I've hovered between 135-140 for a little over two years now.

I don't want to minimize anyone else's struggles because we're all different. But for me, it was easy.

Well I will come out swinging at you and say....yeah for me it is easy to. However unlike our friend here I have enough experience to recognize the challenges and enough empathy to sympathize with them.

No need to swing at me! :smile:

I was very careful to qualify everything I wrote with 'personally' and 'for me', and end my post with 'I don't want to minimize anyone else's struggles because we're all different. '. I'm just trying to say that it finally clicked for me, but I empathize that the struggle in daily and ongoing for many, many people.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :laugh:
    I think the majority of us are reading this laughing to ourselves quietly because we know they're trolling ;)

+1 I decided to play too XD. It looks fun.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    All of this he's 18 and I'm 4o, 41, 42, 45 implies an inherent difference in BIOLOGY in aged people that makes it hard.

Besides my injuries I have to consider when choosing exercise I wasn't aware that there was some biological or physical state that my age bestows on me that nullifies CI/CO? I thought as far as I don't have PCOS or thyroid problems which are rare, I have the same methods as any other human. Am I misinformed? Have I misread hundreds of threads?

I agree with OP that calories in calories out is all there is to it, that conceptually it is easy. I disagree that as an adult balancing your own personal needs with your responsibilities to others is "easy".

The backlash is largely centered on OP's lack of life experience and overall smugness and arrogance.

OK but that wasn't part of his original OP or his thread title. I think he only said so far that the weight loss plan is easy. I don't think he has called adulthood or the responsibilities "easy" but has simply encouraged people (in a blunt style) to work out those challenges and find a way? I read over his posts which seem limited to this thread and that was my read on his posts anyways. I fear people may be reading more into what he is saying just from personal perspectives.
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've always read and heard about people complaining about weight loss being too difficult, or that it's too complicated. I'm on day 48 of my weight loss "journey" if you wish to call it that, and there's been absolutely zero challenges I've faced. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, and eat at a 500 calorie deficit and I've lost 16 pounds.
    So what's the big deal with weight loss? Why is it considered to be so impossible?

1301.gif
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    You're an 18 year old male. Get back to me when you're a 45 year old woman.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:heart:
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

As a 40 year old woman, I found losing weight to be pretty straight-forward and simple. The weight didn't come flying off quickly, but it was steady, reliable and generally easy for me this time around.

My past efforts to lose were difficult and destined for failure because I over-complicated everything with diets, huge calorie deficits, and long lists of forbidden foods. If I went off my rigid track even a little, it always snowballed into a return to the bad habit of overeating all the time and proclaiming myself a failure.

As soon as I realized that all I needed to do is cut a minimal amount of calories from my daily intake (250 in my case) and work harder at moving throughout the day, everything else fell into place. I continued to eat all my favorite foods (not even the diet/light versions). Most days I ate over 2000 calories and still lost consistently. I went from 202 to 152 (my initial goal weight) in about eight months. I went on to lose another 16 pounds over six more months, before finally settling around 136 lbs. (I'm almost 5'9"). I've hovered between 135-140 for a little over two years now.

I don't want to minimize anyone else's struggles because we're all different. But for me, it was easy.
    youre not alone. once you figure out that you really want it and how to do it, its simple. the hardest part is not drinking it all away on the weekends, but then again, OP is still underage so he's still got a year (or 3 depending on where he lives) to figure that one out

Ooof - tell me about it! I have a serious affinity for GOOD craft beer. One 12 oz bottle of bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout can set me back 400 calories! It's a complete balancing act! haha
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    And with the attitude you have, the only way for your girlfriend to get the boyfriend she deserves is TO FIND A NEW ONE
    Look back in history and tell me, how many of the greatest leaders ever were complacent, weak willed,etc.?
    I'll wait

you by good young fella are complacent and weak willed...otherwise you wouldn't ahve been 30lbs overweight.
    Exactly
    Being overweight doesn't necessarily imply complacency or being weak willed
    Nice try though

So you came out of the womb overweight?...
    Everything in life is a choice, whether it's conscious or not.
    Did I choose to be overweight? Yes. I had zero problem with being overweight, and I still had the qualities that I did then that I have now
    The only difference is that I got tired of having a belly
    And which qualities are those?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me why I'm so glad I'm not 18 anymore.

And only the smartest young men usually survive past early adulthood. I don't have a lot of hope for the OP. :ohwell:
  • lizc0616
    lizc0616 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

1301.gif
    :smokin: your killin me! :laugh:
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    It took me 15 minutes to figure it out.
    I guess I'm ignorant :sad:

Shouldn't you be in school…?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

1372.gif

Haylair!
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Wow.

This has got to be the most successful troll thread I have ever seen! Keep feeding him! this is making for a good afternoon. :D

Nah, I've seen better. He was called out as a troll too early on for it to be successful. 4/10, maybe 5/10.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    All of this he's 18 and I'm 4o, 41, 42, 45 implies an inherent difference in BIOLOGY in aged people that makes it hard.

Besides my injuries I have to consider when choosing exercise I wasn't aware that there was some biological or physical state that my age bestows on me that nullifies CI/CO? I thought as far as I don't have PCOS or thyroid problems which are rare, I have the same methods as any other human. Am I misinformed? Have I misread hundreds of threads?

I agree with OP that calories in calories out is all there is to it, that conceptually it is easy. I disagree that as an adult balancing your own personal needs with your responsibilities to others is "easy".

The backlash is largely centered on OP's lack of life experience and overall smugness and arrogance.

OK but that wasn't part of his original OP or his thread title. I think he only said so far that the weight loss plan is easy. I don't think he has called adulthood or the responsibilities "easy" but has simply encouraged people (in a blunt style) to work out those challenges and find a way? I read over his posts which seem limited to this thread and that was my read on his posts anyways. I fear people may be reading more into what he is saying just from personal perspectives.

I understand what you are trying to say but honestly if that is really the case then he needs to learn to convey this attitude far more effectively. Because everything about his delivery suggests a smug immature person belittling people for not being able to do something that he is decided is trivial. And frankly I think that is in fact .. the case. I am sorry but I believe you are trying to imagine virtue where none exists.
  • glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I dont think he will make it 20 years,,,,,with his "intelligent" all knowing mental capacity and his "Oh so Charming" personality, I think the closet he is hiding in will reveal no real GF and a secret inner hatred of himself and all people just as he actually decides to fake committing suicide to garner attention only to let his true intelligence show as the faulty planning turns into the real deal.

RIP
    Very nice assuming I screenshotted it and I'll be sure to use it as motivation the next time I'm hesitant to go as hard as I can while working out
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Well I will come out swinging at you and say....yeah for me it is easy to. However unlike our friend here I have enough experience to recognize the challenges and enough empathy to sympathize with them.

No need to swing at me! :smile:

I was very careful to qualify everything I wrote with 'personally' and 'for me', and end my post with 'I don't want to minimize anyone else's struggles because we're all different. '. I'm just trying to say that it finally clicked for me, but I empathize that the struggle in daily and ongoing for many, many people.

Oh no I agree with you, I was just being cute with the "come out swinging" thing based on your "duck". I don't think you are wrong. I don't think the OP is wrong in saying that conceptually weightloss is easy. It of course becomes much easier when its all you have to care about.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

youre not alone. once you figure out that you really want it and how to do it, its simple. the hardest part is not drinking it all away on the weekends, but then again, OP is still underage so he's still got a year (or 3 depending on where he lives) to figure that one out

Ooof - tell me about it! I have a serious affinity for GOOD craft beer. One 12 oz bottle of bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout can set me back 400 calories! It's a complete balancing act! haha

Heh. Yeah it took me a while to figure out that one could actually stop drinking Southern Comfort when there was still Southern Comfort to be drank. Who knew?
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

dozing_off_kitty.gif
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

when everything is going well, it is easy.

but something got you there in the first place, and when conditions are that way again, it wont seem as easy.
This discussion has been closed.