Is losing weight supposed to be hard?

Options

Replies

• impemberstar
    impemberstar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, someone please tell me I wasn't this ignorant when I was 18...
  • YvonneCT
    YvonneCT Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You're an 18 year old male. Get back to me when you're a 45 year old woman.

Now that's telling him!
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    LOL When I was 18 I was eating anything and everything I could get my hands on and never had any issues with weight. In fact in my teenage years I was generally underweight and was told so by my physicians.

Enjoy it while it lasts kid! :wink:

This.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Keep making excuses, I'll keep making progress.
    All I know, is when I was 18 I didn't have 30 Lbs to lose to give my SO the partner they deserved (as per your profile) So what is YOUR excuse?? If you have a tendancy to be overweight now, just wait 'till you grow up!
    My excuse is that I was lazy for the first 17 years of my life, and that needed to change
    She deserves nothing but the best, and I'll keep striving to reach that for her, and for me

lol at the picture of a "lazy" 2 year old.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Please. At 18 I could eat 5-6 large meals a day and not gain weight. Eyes on your own paper, bud, and be grateful for what you have now.

Love this comment! :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Have you guys ever considered that your tendency to make excuses for not accomplishing a goal is why you're "too busy" to eat right? Try applying yourself to a goal, because I know for a fact that based in your current position and choice of words, you've never done that before in your life

LOL. A number of the people in this thread have accomplished things you may never do - and are balancing all of that with successful diet and exercise.

And YOU are up on your high horse judging them.
  • Amberlynnek
    Amberlynnek Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    If it was so easy for everyone, wouldn't everyone be thin?
    It's easy or be fat in our society, if you don't care about what you're eating or how you're working out you can very easily let yourself go
    Being a normal weight requires some effort, and most people aren't willing to apply themselves

Really? Some effort, well here's some news for you - I run marathons, 5 to be exact. Thousands of miles. 26.2 painful miles of hell 5 times over. But I still manage to gain weight every training season. Why? Because I'm HANGRY - ALL THE FREAKING TIME. When the marathon is over, I'm still just as hungry with a different level of activity and it takes time to adjust. Did I not apply myself?

Oh and lets make this extra fun. I have PMDD - being and 18 year old boy, you have no idea what its like to have you vagina rule your life - your emotions, your appetite, your cravings, etc. Once a month, it likes to gift me with a week of uncontrollable binge eating which, had to mediated. Which the medication itself has weight issues associated with it.

Which brings me to another point, people have emotional issues that manifest themselves in food. These is often beyond their control.

And if those two things weren't enough to convince you, Work 70 crazy hours a week to earn a pretty paycheck to pay for that lovely gym membership and health food and then see how you feel about working out, especially when the laundry has piled up, finances need to be tended to, a house needs to be cleaned a dog needs to be walked, errands need to be run and dinner needs to be cooked and you have homework and grad classes.

Not enough for you? Guess what buddy? That lovely metabolism you have right now, it slows down. way down. Also, while I find it hard to believe that you would understand that people have social lives (because with that attidue, who would want to hang out with you?) Social lives are important for jobs, mental and emotional health and events often contain dinners, happy hours endless bottles of wine and expectations. While we all try our best to manage self control in these situations, whooops we slip up because it is the human condition.

So while the math makes sense much like a basic algebraic equation, lets go ahead and try to solve the problem with some complicated variables. Get over yourself, we'll see you again when you plateau or gain back the weight and are posting about it on these forums. mmmmmk?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    This is a cathartic release for so many of us OP, continue to remind us why the rest of us are so glad to be grown ups with your pearls of wisdom -- even if that means we're sad and full of excuses.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Teenagers are adorably clueless.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Keep making excuses, I'll keep making progress.
    All I know, is when I was 18 I didn't have 30 Lbs to lose to give my SO the partner they deserved (as per your profile) So what is YOUR excuse?? If you have a tendancy to be overweight now, just wait 'till you grow up!
    My excuse is that I was lazy for the first 17 years of my life, and that needed to change
    She deserves nothing but the best, and I'll keep striving to reach that for her, and for me

lol at the picture of a "lazy" 2 year old.

Truly.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    And with the attitude you have, the only way for your girlfriend to get the boyfriend she deserves is TO FIND A NEW ONE
    Look back in history and tell me, how many of the greatest leaders ever were complacent, weak willed,etc.?
    I'll wait

How many were 18?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    5YmQfij.gif
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    And with the attitude you have, the only way for your girlfriend to get the boyfriend she deserves is TO FIND A NEW ONE
    Look back in history and tell me, how many of the greatest leaders ever were complacent, weak willed,etc.?
    I'll wait

you by good young fella are complacent and weak willed...otherwise you wouldn't ahve been 30lbs overweight.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    OP I want to be serious with you for a second, please try to hear this and understand where it is coming from. This is not an excuse, it is a reality.

You are at the time in your life when your responsibility is yourself. You need to do things for you to support you. Everything is facing inwards.

30 years from now assuming you have your career, your house, you have children, your parents are getting to the age where they are starting to require assistance...things stop being about you. Your responsibilities shift from prioritizing yourself to prioritizing others. At the end of many days you will find yourself running out of time and not able to complete everything you need to do for the sake of others, let alone yourself. You are smug about how easy it will be but I want you to do a little self-reflection and admit to yourself that you don't actually know because you've never BEEN in a situation like that.

Right now life is about you and therefore doing things for yourself such as fitness or weightloss come naturally. There is little in your way. You talk about how few obstacles there are and how clear the path is but you are at a stage in your life where there ARE no obstacles and you can think only of yourself.

My advise to you? Keep doing what you are doing...you SHOULD focus on yourself right now because now is your chance. Lose the weight, get fit, learn to eat at maintenance...now is the time when it is easy and if you wait to long it becomes significantly harder.
    Just back to quote this. I wish I had this perspective when I was 18! OP, if you're not a troll, it'd be wise to seriously think about what this person is saying. He's not being unreasonable or telling you off because you're young.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've always read and heard about people complaining about weight loss being too difficult, or that it's too complicated. I'm on day 48 of my weight loss "journey" if you wish to call it that, and there's been absolutely zero challenges I've faced. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, and eat at a 500 calorie deficit and I've lost 16 pounds.
    So what's the big deal with weight loss? Why is it considered to be so impossible?

You've only lost 16 pounds in 48 days? HAH! When I was 18 I lost 25 pounds in 40 days and it was so easy! And I'm a girl...why haven't you lost more?!

Really, losing weight isn't hard for the most part - maintaining weight is hard. Obviously you know this or you wouldn't be trying to lose weight, no? In a perfect world if we all just used food as fuel and stopped when our tanks were full, then no one would have a weight problem. In reality, it's easy to over eat for any number of reasons and no one can really understand another person's struggles, especially if they've never had to live in the real world.

BTW, challenges are challenges and what you are calling "excuses" are not excuses unless you let them stop you from losing weight. Most of the people listing challenges have lost weight and are losing weight.
  • glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    not all of us have access to a FREE gym!!!
    I bought a bench, 400 lbs of plates, a bar, and a half rack for $120 on Craigslist
    You're obviously not willing to lose weight if you refuse to seek out alternatives
  • GallifreyanGirl396
    GallifreyanGirl396 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Here, I got you a snack
    2ppkopt.gif

Careful not to choke OP

I am absolutely dying right now. :laugh:
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhh, your 18 yrs old.
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'll wait

And who are you striving to be like? Hitler? You are well on your way! Congrats!
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'll wait

How many were 18?
    Xzegshe.gif
This discussion has been closed.