Is losing weight supposed to be hard?

Options

Replies

• cricket_77
    cricket_77 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    You're an 18 year old male. Get back to me when you're a 45 year old woman.

Bahahaha!!! Exactly!
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The older people get the slower the weight comes off.
    For me, when I am committed, losing still isn't that hard. But keeping it off is.
    If you managed to become overweight at your age, I suspect you'll become overweight again. The point everybody is making to you here is you've no concept of what an advantage your youth is in weight loss. Adulthood can be soul crushingly stressful.

And if you are just trolling for fun? I leave this here for you:

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html
  • fat2skinny50
    fat2skinny50 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've always read and heard about people complaining about weight loss being too difficult, or that it's too complicated. I'm on day 48 of my weight loss "journey" if you wish to call it that, and there's been absolutely zero challenges I've faced. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, and eat at a 500 calorie deficit and I've lost 16 pounds.
    So what's the big deal with weight loss? Why is it considered to be so impossible?

.....you're 18.
    I second that - wait till you get older - i bet it wont be so easy for you
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Great ! Now keep it off ! THAT is where the hard part is.
  • cranachan
    cranachan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    From my experience most people make it seem way harder than it actually is, all I did was eat only during meal times (no toast when I get home, no oreos when I walk through the kitchen etc.) and boom 6kg gone in two months. I kept doing the same amount of exercise and ate the same at all other times.

I think it comes down to the fact that people associate weight loss with ridiculous fad diets that have only 250 calories a day from acai berry or some other crap.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    If it's easy you wouldn't of had to lose 30lbs.
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    In because I want to see where this goes :tongue:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Keep making excuses, I'll keep making progress.

<grins> You know I should thank you for bringing me back to high school days. Its been a while since I've been preoccupied with only petty emotions and personal desires and its nice to see that perspective again.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    While I tend to agree with most of what you're saying...

*pats you on the head*

This is cute.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Let's break this down
    My mom is trying to lose weight, and she has Wegener's granulomatosis, so she is on a whole host of medications, including steroids. She isn't allowed a wide variety of proteins either. And she has hypothyroidism.
    You're describing less than 1% of the population, nice.
    When your hormones are out of whack, it isn't simply calories in and calories out.
    Your body "burns" fat by not obtaining enough energy (calories) from food
    Make sure your body doesn't get enough energy, and you'll lose fat. It's not hard

Endocrine disorders affect more than 1% of the population.

Little do you know.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I've always read and heard about people complaining about weight loss being too difficult, or that it's too complicated. I'm on day 48 of my weight loss "journey" if you wish to call it that, and there's been absolutely zero challenges I've faced. I lift weights 3-4 days a week, and eat at a 500 calorie deficit and I've lost 16 pounds.
    So what's the big deal with weight loss? Why is it considered to be so impossible?

It might have been all in my head, but eating less and starting to exercise when I was at my highest weight was definitely not easy. Doing it the healthy way is much easier that getting into insane fast diets, but it's still hard. My metabolism works quite fine even though I've obviously hit plateaus, but trying not to stuff my face with food was hard (and still is, even though I know it's not good for me and neither is the consequent stomach ache).
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Let's break this down
    My mom is tryin
    g to lose weight, and she has Wegener's granulomatosis, so she is on a whole host of medications, including steroids. She isn't allowed a wide variety of proteins either. And she has hypothyroidism.
    When your hormones are out of whack, it isn't simply calories in and calories out.
    Make sure your body doesn't get enough energy, and you'll lose fat. It's not hard

You are misinformed. While the number of people who have problems losing weight because of endocrine problems is not high, it is 3% and not what you mentioned.
  • yungibear
    yungibear Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else has said, life gets increasingly more difficult as you get older. It's been getting really tough for me to juggle my senior coursework (FINALS!), my part-time job, church responsibilities, and helping out at home. Luckily, I don't really have too much problems with eating nowadays, but sometimes, I just don't feel like exercising.

OP, I think it's great that you're losing weight and getting a head start at a younger age. Keep doing what you're doing and keep it up when you get older too!
  • GreenIceFloes
    GreenIceFloes Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    Let's break this down
    My mom is trying to lose weight, and she has Wegener's granulomatosis, so she is on a whole host of medications, including steroids. She isn't allowed a wide variety of proteins either. And she has hypothyroidism.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Less than 1% of the population is sick in ways that hinder weight loss? Are you for real?
    And energy in and energy out is correct in theory and probably for a majority of cases, but isn't true for everybody under all circumstances. Read a couple of studies on PCOS, for example.

Also, stop trivializing others' struggles just because you have been able to lose a couple of pounds. It has been easy for me too, but you don't see me being so high and mighty about it. Get off your high horse. Really.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    2693133_o.gif
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options

Well aren't you speshul.
  • jpainter1984
    jpainter1984 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Totally have to agree with this person. It's hard to find time to do what you're doing when you are supporting a family and working 60+ hours a week. Ahhh, the American Dream :) I'm glad to hear that you are having less difficulties than most of the American population. Keep up the hard work!
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why people think that the complexity of an action must necessarily be correlated to its difficulty.

Flying is easy. To quote Douglas Adams, just throw yourself at the ground and miss. Simple, yet challenging.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    :laugh: This is so perfect for Thowback Thursday... I remember being 18 and knowing everything too...thanks for the laughs

no, no.. you THOUGHT you knew everything...... which leads us back to the OP's comment.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    If it was so easy for everyone, wouldn't everyone be thin?
    It's easy or be fat in our society, if you don't care about what you're eating or how you're working out you can very easily let yourself go
    Being a normal weight requires some effort, and most people aren't willing to apply themselves

17 YO female in my profile pick, I can assure you the only thing I *applied* myself to health wise was stuffing my face with as much food as I could. It took exactly 0% effort for me to maintain a healthy weight at that age. That changed as I got older.

No, weight loss at this point is not complicated, and I do think many people unintentionally make it harder than it has to be. But as an 18 YO male, you're not really in a position to effectively judge based on life experience you've not yet, and in some cases will NEVER have.
This discussion has been closed.