Is losing weight supposed to be hard?

Options

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    If it was so easy for everyone, wouldn't everyone be thin?
    It's easy or be fat in our society, if you don't care about what you're eating or how you're working out you can very easily let yourself go
    Being a normal weight requires some effort, and most people aren't willing to apply themselves

Outside of pregnancy-related weight gain, I've been a normal weight my entire life with little to no effort.

Is this one of those "I feel bad about myself, so I'm going to project my issues onto everyone else" posts? There are counselors who can help you work through it, no need to take it out on the members here.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    Watchoutbadass.gif
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    th?id=HN.608047642744589519&pid=1.7
  • jessilyn76
    jessilyn76 Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    If losing weight was so easy, no one would be fat!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Guise, I think study hall must be over.
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I was going to say something serious about working 90 hours a week but instead I'm going to refer the OP to Sherlock

9328_57b3.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    If it was so easy for everyone, wouldn't everyone be thin?
    It's easy or be fat in our society, if you don't care about what you're eating or how you're working out you can very easily let yourself go
    Being a normal weight requires some effort, and most people aren't willing to apply themselves
    Honey, sweetheart, darling, even when you work at it, sometimes it isn't easy.

You are an 18-year-old male. You barely have your eyes open yet.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    You're an 18 year old male. Get back to me when you're a 45 year old woman.
    Calories in<Calories out

Done.

It really, really sounds arrogant if an 18-year old wants to give advise based on life experience to people who are older....some of them even decades.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You're in high school and have zero life responsibilities and associated stressors.

Grow up and stop trivializing what is difficult for a lot of people.

FgpeyGw.gif
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    There are no single mold for losing wight everyone is different

Yes there is, it's called a caloric deficit. If you are in one, you will lose weight. figuring out how much to eat may be the harder part, but the concept is simple and is the same for everyone. Some with medical issues may have a much lower BMR so they have to eat way less to be in a deficit, but the concept still rings true.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Guise, I think study hall must be over.

Sweet! Can we find someone to buy us beer?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Let's break this down
    My mom is trying to lose weight, and she has Wegener's granulomatosis, so she is on a whole host of medications, including steroids. She isn't allowed a wide variety of proteins either. And she has hypothyroidism.
    You're describing less than 1% of the population, nice.
    When your hormones are out of whack, it isn't simply calories in and calories out.
    Your body "burns" fat by not obtaining enough energy (calories) from food
    Make sure your body doesn't get enough energy, and you'll lose fat. It's not hard

Older you get dude the more conditions get applied to you, no matter how "healthy and fit" you are. I don't mean this as an insult, its true of everyone your age, but frankly you just have no experience here to base your claims. You are 18. Literately at the peak of your energy level and health couples with the lowest point for responsibility in your adult life. It does not get any easier than what you are experiencing right now. Is it easy to lose weight when you are 18? Yeah. Is it easy to lose weight when you are parent with a house to maintain, a full time job pushing 10 hour shifts and more responsibilities than your own personal appearance and health? No.

You are smug now. Give it 20 years.
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This horse is soooooooo high.

lol
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    :laugh: This is so perfect for Thowback Thursday... I remember being 18 and knowing everything too...thanks for the laughs
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    You're in high school and have zero life responsibilities and associated stressors.

Grow up and stop trivializing what is difficult for a lot of people.
    You have all the tools available to you that you need to complete your goal. Responsibility and stress aren't reasons to not develop healthy habits
    Don't have time to have a healthy breakfast or lunch?
    Make it the night before and en masse
    Don't have time to exercise?
    Go for walks around the office or workplace if you have the chance

You're 18. You don't have responsibilities, a family to take care of, a career to live up to, a home to tend to, etc.

Don't compare yourself to other people. Just because weight loss isn't hard for you doesn't mean it's easy for everyone else. You haven't truly "lived" yet. Just wait until you have a 9-5 job, a family to feed, a house to clean, a lawn to mow, parents to take care of (because when we get older, people tend to forget that their parents are as well), ON TOP of trying to lose weight.

When you have a family, it's no longer about YOU. You don't come first. When you have a job, yes, you're supposed to get a 30 min. lunch break, but most don't take it because they have too much work to do and would rather work through lunch than be in the office until 8 at night. Think about people in healthcare. They literally don't have a minute to use the bathroom, let alone eat lunch. My mother doesn't get to eat lunch because her patients are the priority. Not everyone has a job that is flexible and allows them to go for walks or to the gym during lunch.

You have a very small idea of what life is actually like. Try to think outside of the box.
  • glickman1
    glickman1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Keep making excuses, I'll keep making progress.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I started at 280lbs and I found it very simple, it's just basic math and making sure you measure your portions...
    For most. Not for all.

I eat on a good day 1,500 calories. On most days, between 1,000 and 1,200 (mostly because I'm just not that hungry). I use a food scale. I eat healthy foods. I exercise (I lift and do cardio). For the last four years, I have done nothing but gain weight. The only change from the last time I lost weight (easily) is that I went on a different birth control.

So, I suppose I could cut down to 500 calories a day ...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    There are no single mold for losing wight everyone is different

Yes there is, it's called a caloric deficit. If you are in one, you will lose weight. figuring out how much to eat may be the harder part, but the concept is simple and is the same for everyone. Some with medical issues may have a much lower BMR so they have to eat way less to be in a deficit, but the concept still rings true.

I agree that the concept is simple. I agree that the path forward is clear. I also agree with peoples statements here that the experience of difficulty from the perspective of an 18 year old is of little use, especially a smug 18 year old.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Op, I want to adopt you like a sally struthers kid so I can watch you grow up. I'm pretty sure you'll gain the weight back eventually, only 1 in 500 people keep it off forever.
  • scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm with the OP and I'm alomost 47. Losing weight wasn't hard. I just decided that was what I was going to do and stuck with it. People make too many excses on why they can't lose weight (I'm too old, I'm too busy, blah, blah , blah). I have 4 kids, work a very busy job, but I decided I wanted to lose and wasn't going to make excuses why I couldn't. Can an 18 year old lose it easier? Probably, but a year ago I was over 300 lbs and now I'm just over 200 and I was fairly easy if you just stay with it.
This discussion has been closed.