So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    super late on this thread but its also important for us older gals (im 40) to cut out sugar and alcohol if you want a flat tummy. That includes "natural" sugars and fake sugars.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    super late on this thread but its also important for us older gals (im 40) to cut out sugar and alcohol if you want a flat tummy. That includes "natural" sugars and fake sugars.

Not necessarily. You may find it works better for you because of bloating or sticking to your calorie/macro goal better, but there are lots of women over 40 who eat ice cream every day. Sugar doesn't make you store fat or stomach fat. Alcohol does't make you fat or store stomach fat.

Sarauk2sf is 46. She frequently eats ice cream and other foods with lots of sugar. She's also vegetarian, so her sugar is even higher from fruits and vegetables. She has an incredible stomach.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Sarauk2sf?date=2014-03-31
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/Sarauk2sf?date=2014-03-18
  • carrieous
    Options
    obviously I disagree but that's okay. I don't believe for a min anyone who eats ice cream every day has a flat tummy lol

and honestly I think this is a bad message to send these women who are struggling to lose belly fat. They will grasp onto that "expertise" and think they too can eat ice cream or sugar everyday- and then they will get upset with themselves when they start gaining.
  • 04ward
    04ward Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    obviously I disagree but that's okay. I don't believe for a min anyone who eats ice cream every day has a flat tummy lol

Just because you don't believe doesn't mean it isn't true.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options

nice to meet you, in the past couple of weeks I've been eating McFlurries every day
  • carrieous
    Options
    yes I could eat whatever I wanted at 19 years old too LOL
  • carrieous
    Options
    it isn't true. I promise you.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    yes I could eat whatever I wanted at 19 years old too LOL

I also lift regularly & work quite hard for both the ice cream and frame. It hasn't always been like this.

edit: If you think it's a 'bad message to send', why not back up your own point with some studies or suchlike? Otherwise your opinion is just as 'damaging'. Women over 40 should not be deprived of ice cream that they can fit into their calories just because you say so :sad:
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    What does bump mean?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

and honestly I think this is a bad message to send these women who are struggling to lose belly fat. They will grasp onto that "expertise" and think they too can eat ice cream or sugar everyday- and then they will get upset with themselves when they start gaining.

They won't gain if they are eating less calories than their body burns every day over the long term. That's point #1. I also didn't say they could just eat anything they want. I stressed that they need to ensure their protein needs are met, that they include fruits and vegetables as well as healthy fats. Once all those needs are met they probably won't have much left for calories, so why shouldn't they enjoy a piece of chocolate or some ice cream or a cookie? Can't gain weight magically if you are eating less than your TDEE.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Disagree entirely. I'm older than you and I eat ice cream every single day. I don't think I've missed a day of eating ice cream in a good 6 months.

To the people who think they CAN'T eat ice cream every day and get flat abs: You, too, can do it if you're eating at a deficit (or maintenance once you get there).

I think it's a bad message to try to convince people that they have to give up ice cream when they don't have to. All that is necessary is a deficit, adequate protein and nutrition, and proper training.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    In
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

The ability of people on here to argue points against others who so obviously know more than them never fails to amaze me.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

The ability of people on here to argue points against others who so obviously know more than them never fails to amaze me.

+1
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

<~~~ almost 38. Eats ice cream, drinks alcohol and enjoys way too much coffee with cream and sugar.

It is true.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

<~~~ almost 38. Eats ice cream, drinks alcohol and enjoys way too much coffee with cream and sugar.

It is true.
    Automate-your-science-experiments_zps434cf98e.jpg
    Carrieous, see that flame, it's your hypothesis about icecream being incompatible with awesomely flat and defined tummies.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options

It is true.
    Automate-your-science-experiments_zps434cf98e.jpg
    Carrieous, see that flame, it's your hypothesis about icecream being incompatible with awesomely flat and defined tummies.

I had s'mores and cupcakes and pizza and a slurpees today... I also walked for four hours at the zoo, pulling my daughter(s) in a wagon when they were tired. I work hard to feed my sugar love... But my love for sweets does not mean I'm out of luck when it comes to abs.
  • shortstuff31117
    shortstuff31117 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Bump!!