your worse or humiliating experience when fat?

Options

Replies

• iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    1. This one has a better ending so I saved it for last. These girls in elementary school used to torment me for being fat. Unfortunately, the ringleader of the group made it to the magnet Jr/sr high school with me much to my disappointment and continued to attempt to make my life miserable with the name calling and the mooing. Thank god she got kicked out for bad grades. I was rid of her and was relieved. I dormed at the university and had finally been able to overcome the years or teasing, low self-esteem and just being a follower and was flourishing in college. Suddenly one day, guess who I see skateboarding through campus? That girl! Later I found out she lived in my same dorm, too. One day, I was sitting with my tableful of new friends, having a great time when she comes up to me and says loudly, "Hey Sam? Remember me? I'm the girl who used to call you fat cow and used to put cricket legs in your hair. Remember when I used to bully you?" Everyone stopped to look. Fortunately, I was a lot stronger emotionally by now so I said in an equally loud voice. "Honestly, I don't really remember all those things you did or said to me very much because now I have all these awesome friends and I'm really happy with new life and I don't really think about you anymore, so..." And I turned around and started talking to my friends and she was dumbfounded and just walked away! I was triumphant. Eventually, she dropped out of the university and I never saw her again.

This left me stunned. What motivates people to take pride in knocking others down? Things like this prompted me to avoid my 25th HS reunion. BTW - great response to the POS bully.
  • caperchick78
    caperchick78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    That's awful! I always say I started my weight loss journey by dropping my 160 pound ex bf lol. He told me he was embarassed by me and said my body was gross. The right person will love you no matter what your body is like.
  • ButYouGotMySoul
    ButYouGotMySoul Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    People gave my husband looks, too. (He's 5'8" and 160 pounds.) At the time we got married, I was nearly double his weight and I would just cringe when I saw people looking at him. I KNOW they were thinking, "Why her, he could do so much better." :sad: Bless my husband, though, he NEVER thought that or even paid attention to other people.

This. I still have no idea what he sees in me.
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I work for a very large company. It's not unusual to talk to someone on the phone for a year or two before meeting them face-to-face - if ever. We have a corporate directory with photos and mine is from when I was about 40-50lbs lighter. Anyways, I'm sitting in a conference room having already introduced myself to a group of folk when someone I've talked to a lot walks in and says "Where's Sam? He's supposed to be here by now..." and I was right there in front of him. Everyone knew why he didn't recognize me from my photo. <ugh>

Sam
  • RWTBR
    RWTBR Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    When I graduated from college, I was really fit. Then I went to grad school and got huge. I tried to delude myself into thinking I was still hot. So I left all of my old pics up on myspace. I met this guy on myspace who started flirting with me. We eventually met up for a date and when he got there, he said "You need to change your pictures," and turned around and walked out.
  • ednakrabappe
    ednakrabappe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Weirdly it was a backward compliment. I was a shapely slim teenager and put the weight on in my twenties.

I was at the pub and a friend's mother was in there drunk. She said "Are you RG?" to which I replied "Yes." She went on to say, "Oh when you were a teenager, all the mothers used to be well jel of your gorgeous legs, to the point we used to b**** about you! It's such a shame you let yourself go."

I never knew about the ?envy? at the time, and for someone who was a generation older than me to say that really hurt.

Therefore my aim is to get my gorgeous pins as back as possible.
  • paveni
    paveni Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    "You'd be really pretty if you weren't fat "

Said to me at a wedding in front of a big group of people.
  • caperchick78
    caperchick78 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I had an old boss say that to me! It didn`t shock me because she was a b***h!
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Last year I was trying to get some exercise by biking around my neighborhood and a family stood on the porch and gawked at me, pointing and laughing. It made me so upset; I went inside and started crying . . . I was trying to better myself; why did they think it was appropriate to laugh at me?
    Not to mention they were all fatties too.
  • kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I'm a substitute teacher and I probably had about 10 students (over the course of a year or so) ask me if I was expecting :noway:
  • Ariadne83
    Ariadne83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    In Italy staying with an Italian family the dad saw a photo of me in which I thought I looked perfectly nice and slim. He laughed at it and said 'Sei piu ciccia qui!' = 'you are chubbier here!' Not traumatic but disconcerting, for someone who was always saw themselves as slim. Also, I hate it when people say 'oh you've lost weight' because it's like they are implying 'you used to be fat.' I think people should just stop commenting, unless asked!
  • b_e_l_l_a_a_a_a_a_a
    b_e_l_l_a_a_a_a_a_a Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Last year I was trying to get some exercise by biking around my neighborhood and a family stood on the porch and gawked at me, pointing and laughing. It made me so upset; I went inside and started crying . . . I was trying to better myself; why did they think it was appropriate to laugh at me?
    Not to mention they were all fatties too.
    This has happened to me before! A couple of years ago I used to run around my old neighborhood and one day I was going past this house and a few fat people sitting on their porch GAWKED and yelled at me(didn't really hear what they said, as I was listening to music.) I dunno what was so interesting. :bigsmile:
  • grazer432
    grazer432 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My worst ones are probably when I was not overweight at all. I think my self-esteem was probably a lot lower when I was skinny. As a chubby kid so I have endless ones from growing up but the one that always stands out for me is when my first girlfriend introduced me her friends. It was pretty awkward generally (they were clearly fairly homophobic anyway) and when I came back from the bathroom they were talking about me. Her best friend said "... but she's really fat, you could do so much better" and my ex-girlfriend replied "she's not *that* fat" and all of the other girls said "yeah she is"; I was 120lbs at the time. I just walked straight past the table and out of the restaurant, I have no time for that s**t.

Also when I was a teenager I got pretty skinny through restrictive eating and everybody told me how good I looked, how awesome my legs were etc. and I remember multiple comments along the lines of "You look so good like this, you really needed to lose some weight.". I had gone from normal weight to severely underweight. God knows what they'd think of me now.

The ones that always hurt the most come from my mother. She feels the need to constantly point out that when she was my age she was skinny and that I'm fat, as if I hadn't noticed. Not weight-related, but she recently told me that I looked like I have measles (I have fairly minor acne) and she went on for about ten minutes about how it looked like I had some kind of facial disease...
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I once had a small group of young men come up to me and say very sexually graphic, disgusting and demeaning things to me, based on my weight.

I had my two year old in a pram with me.

I just rushed off as fast as I could, but had I been alone, I would have tried to smash the mouthiest guy's skull against the pavement. I didn't feel scared, just beyond rage.
  • keobooks
    keobooks Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    My mom has been stick thin her whole life and she's totally clueless about what it means to be fat. We went shopping together for a professional wardrobe for me. She headed straight for the women's department. I tried to quietly tell her that nothing in this department would fit me. She has a loud voice and she said "don't be silly. They have a 16 here and an18 here". I said that I wore a 22. She exclaimed .Oh my god! Do they even sell clothes that big in regular stores?.. I showed her the plus size department. She kept saying.. My god these clothes are huge! You could use this one as a tent!... It was awful.
  • bluepumalys
    Options
    Ugh, too many to count :P

-Not being able to fit in the desks at school (my butt is coming out of the back and I can't get out!)
    -2 words: Clothes. Shopping.
    -People staring at me when I'm wearing shorts and a shirt
    -Feeling like I'm on display when I'm eating with others
    -Extremely low self esteem and self confidence
    -Swimsuits, anyone?
    -In 4th grade, we had gotten new chairs and the one in my desk got a crack in it after a week
    -Out of breath when climbing stairs
    -Dripping in sweat after walking for a short time
    -Answering questions in class that have to relate to eating (I always imagine they're all thinking, "Oh, I'm sure she knows a lot about that!")
    -Not being able to control your eating at parties and buffets
    -Shopping in the "plus" sizes section in 2nd grade
    -Thighs growing 10x their size when you sit down

I'm sure there's plenty more, but those are the ones I can think of right now.
  • EmilyL128
    EmilyL128 Posts: 38
    Options
    When I was a teenager, my Mum looking me up and down and then saying "you would be beautiful if you lost some weight".

I copped more than my fair share of bullying about my weight at school, but to hear those words from my own mother? That really hurt and still rings in my ears to this day.
  • Egon9123
    Egon9123 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It's more of a blessing than I could have imagined, thanks! :)
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have 2.

1. Being fitted for my sisters wedding and being told they had to order the largest size dress, and even then, my measurements, they may have to ADD material. ( Needless to say, they had to take it IN twice )

2. I was kicked off a roller coaster cause the latch wouldn't click a 2nd time.

Awful, awful, awful.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I remember being in 4th grade and telling the other kids at my lunch table that I was going on a diet. One girl (who was actually fatter than I was, but whatever) said, "Yeah, you need to go on a diet".

Then in 7th grade this group of boys used to call me a water buffalo every day. Points for creativity, I guess...