Breakfast ideas that will get me through to lunch?

Replies

• DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Typically I get breakfast at 10, then I don't get lunch until 3 or 3:30

My go to breakfast currently is cottage cheese and some instant oatmeal, with some kind of fruit. It's pretty good at keeping me full.

I also like hard boiled eggs, it's easy to boil them in advance and just grab 1 or 2 to take with you in the morning. Then with oatmeal or some kind of starch, and some fruit. I have to include some kind of protein to keep myself full for that 5 hours or so.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Question: could you make a smoothie of some kind, stick it in a thermos, and have that with you and sip it throughout the morning? Surely you are allowed a water bottle/thermos with you at your job?

Yes, I'm starting to realize that this is something I might be able to get away with.
  • Nedra19455
    Being hungry isn't a signal to immediately eat. There's nothing wrong with being hungry for a couple or few hours.

Also, this. Mind over matter. Waiting an hour or two is not going to kill you. If you ignore hunger for a little while, the sensation does dull.

Not me, I get dizzy and lightheaded and it just gets worse until I eat something (and then my food choice can suffer).

Yep, this is my problem too. I'm shaking and feel sick and anxious. Once I get that hungry, the only thing that seems to help is a big, high carb, high fat lunch. I'm really looking for ways to keep myself more regulated.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Being hungry isn't a signal to immediately eat. There's nothing wrong with being hungry for a couple or few hours.

Also, this. Mind over matter. Waiting an hour or two is not going to kill you. If you ignore hunger for a little while, the sensation does dull.

Not me, I get dizzy and lightheaded and it just gets worse until I eat something (and then my food choice can suffer).

Yep, this is my problem too. I'm shaking and feel sick and anxious. Once I get that hungry, the only thing that seems to help is a big, high carb, high fat lunch. I'm really looking for ways to keep myself more regulated.

Right.

Withdrawal from bad eating habits.

Don't give in to it - get past it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

Right.

Withdrawal from bad eating habits.

Don't give in to it - get past it.

Absolutely no reason to because it doesn't matter when you eat.

Gosh. So sick of those 'anti breakfast' people preaching. Ugh.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

I have nothing against breakfast or any other meal.

Gosh. So sick of those 'anti anti breakfast' people preaching. Ugh.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    I've found it all comes down to getting enough calories with the proper balance of macros. My 2 favorite filling breakfasts:

1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats cooked with 6 ounces soy milk and ground cinnamon. Stir in nut butter (around 10 grams). Top with approx. 100 grams fresh fruit (chopped apples, bananas, strawberries, etc.). Sometimes I'll add a bit of sweetener (2 tsp) and/or some nuts (10 grams). ~ 300-500 calories

2 slices 100% whole wheat toast spread with ripe avocado (about 20 grams). Top with 2 large eggs and 1/2 cup liquid egg whites scrambled with cooking spray. ~ 400-500 calories

If you're going to bring a snack that you'll need to eat quickly, I suggest a bar of some sort. You could make them at home or go with store-bought options that have a good macro balance. I like Kind bars because they're nut-based with healthy fats and proteins.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    No one ever wants to hear this but feeling sick in between meals is not normal -- no matter how common it is these days -- and is a sign of poor blood sugar control. Reduce your carbs, up your fat and start exercising if you don't already. Snacking or eating frequent meals just masks the symptoms.
  • skyeny
    skyeny Posts: 51 Member
    My advice is get a protein bar and sneak away to the bathroom and scarf it down ! That's what I do when I have front desk duty at my job.

I did the same =) no reason to wait 5+ hrs between the meals! no matter what I eat for breakfast, I'm hungry in 3 hours. In fact, the more I eat, the faster I become hungry. You know your body better than anybody else; if you tried different kinds of breakfast and nothing works, just eat something around 8-9 am. Every job allows bathroom breaks )
  • bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Quinoa cereal.... mashed banana, 1/2 cup cooked quinoa, cinnamon & honey- microwave til warm- top with slivered almonds and berried of your choosing. Very filling, warm, comforting, yummy and healthy!
  • Sara2652
    Sara2652 Posts: 158 Member
    My hearty breakfast go to;

2 eggs scrambled (with a pat of butter)
    4 tbsp salsa
    1/2 avocado (or a banana on the side)
    fresh green (red or orange) pepper sliced
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member

General Mills loves you!

Obese, right?

I don't know if it was directed to me? If so, that's the funniest thing... I never ate breakfast before I started MFP. I've lost 80 pounds eating breakfast (which I'm sure is not related one bit, but I figured I'd throw it out there).
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    I have been eating the same breakfast nearly every day recently, and I find it pretty filling.

15 g roasted unsalted sunflower seeds
    15 g raw pumpkin seeds
    6 grams flax/chia blend
    20 grams raisins (or whatever dried fruit you like)
    Mix this in whatever yogurt you like, I usually buy greek (whatever brand is onsale) and it works with a lot of different flavors.

It comes out to about 400 calories, 46 carbs, 16 fat, 23 protein
  • I fry up some onions and bell pepper with Canadian bacon, broccoli flowerettes and 1/2 cup Egg Beaters. About 1/2 cup onions and peppers, 4 slices Canadian bacon and about 1 cup broccoli and scramble it up with a little your choice Mrs. Dash. It fills an 10' paper plate in a layer. It fills me up. I usually eat around 8 in the morning and have lunch around 1 or a little later. I don't usually eat a snack in between. I am retired and don't have to worry about snacking at a job. If I do snack, I buy a huge bag of mixed frozen fruit at Sam's club, put about 2-3 cups in a bowl to thaw and snack on that all day. I know it is hard when working. Don't you get a bit of a break or is it just like a lunch hour? Maybe they would let you take some of your lunch time for a snack time?
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Definitely Oatmeal has been the most filling food for me personally. I cook Steel Cut Oatmeal with organic whole milk, fruit, and nuts in the crockpot over night. I also frequently make a baked oatmeal, again with organic whole milk, fruit, nuts, and honey.

How do you keep the oatmeal form getting overdone? I am using steel cut.
  • jmangini
    jmangini Posts: 166 Member
    Definitely Oatmeal has been the most filling food for me personally. I cook Steel Cut Oatmeal with organic whole milk, fruit, and nuts in the crockpot over night. I also frequently make a baked oatmeal, again with organic whole milk, fruit, nuts, and honey.

How do you keep the oatmeal form getting overdone? I am using steel cut.
    i wanted to try making oatmeal in a rice cooker. Anyone ever done that? Curious if it works as well as it does for keeping rice so fresh.
  • alg42
    alg42 Posts: 45 Member
    I used to have this problem in my old job so had porridge/oatmeal first thing (6am) with skim milk and added some nuts or seeds to it. Then had a banana around 10ish for a snack. Got me through until about 12.30pm.

Now, I have 2 boiled eggs and between 80-100g ham followed by 100g natural yoghurt and I'm full all morning until 2pm (eat breakfast at 9.30am so full for 4.5hours)

SOme good ideas above that i'll be trying :-) thanks everyone
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member

General Mills loves you!

Obese, right?

Are you really saying that breakfast is what makes people obese and not eating breakfast makes you thin? Also breakfast does NOT equal cereal. In fact, not a single person in this thread has said to eat cereal. Some people really need to eat more often. I personally, get really nauseous by ten if I don't eat breakfast. That would be pretty normal as that would be over 16 hours without any food. Eating breakfast or not is a personal choice, so why would you come on here just to bash people who want to eat a different time of day than you?
  • Nedra19455
    Thanks everyone! This morning I upped my breakfast calories all-around and I felt hungry at lunchtime, but not starving. Not only that, but my FitBit tells me I walked about 2,000 MORE steps than I normally would have by the same time in the day, which tells me that I had enough energy that I was staying even more active than usual without feeling drained.

This is what I did:
    Egg white omelet made with arugala, garlic, feta cheese and turkey sausage
    Thomas' Bagel Thin with a little butter
    1% coconut mocha (I make mine at home)

Altogether, it was 537 calories. This isn't a huge leap up from my other breakfasts, but I think that the fact that I included carbs WITH the high-protein omlet made the difference. I think before I had figured if I was going to make an omelet, I couldn't do a bagel as well because that would be overkill. In actuality, it seems like it was the perfect combo!
  • Nedra19455
    I know it is hard when working. Don't you get a bit of a break or is it just like a lunch hour? Maybe they would let you take some of your lunch time for a snack time?

I don't even get bathroom breaks unless it's an absolute emergency. :-(