Negative calorie foods

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    A negative calorie food is one where the 'calories out' involved in it's consumption are higher than the 'calories in' from the food.

Mine is the cheap swiss rolls you get in supermarkets.
    25p for around 100g and 400 calories.

To eat one, I have to cycle to Tescos to buy it, which is about 430 calories away.

So swiss roll = -30 calories!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Tang
    2ugjplv.jpg

I'm not a fan of Tang myself...

Not THAT Tang....the OTHER one

Oh you meant yellow tang....
    j8jrc3.jpg

Nooooooo! Not THAT Tang either. 1 cup of yellow tang contains 130 cals and 21g of protein though!

Tang?

brn_cit_tangtype.jpg

Damn you eat those? I dont imagine that would feel good on your tongue or in your mouth. =\
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    I thought the purpose of MFP is for people to be able to ask questions, no matter how "stupid" they seem, in an effort to gain knowledge and support, a simple... "Yes, you should log all foods, as none are truly negative calorie." Would work, rather than sarcasm :smile: Some people, including myself, are still trying to weed out the "myths" or marketing ploys, from true fact... Thank you for the general support in that - it really is appreciated, when a simple truthful answer is given. :flowerforyou:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member

Tang?

brn_cit_tangtype.jpg

Damn you eat those? I dont imagine that would feel good on your tongue or in your mouth. =\

Of course, it ensures that I get plenty of iron in my diet. rimshot.gif
  • redmagpie91
    redmagpie91 Posts: 77 Member
    I though the purpose of MFP is for people to be able to ask questions, no matter how "stupid" they seem, in an effort to gain knowledge and support, a simple... "Yes, you should log all foods, as none are truly negative calorie." Would work, rather than sarcasm :smile: Some people, including myself, are still trying to weed out the "myths" or marketing ploys, from true fact... Thank you for the general support in that - it really is appreciated, when a simple truthful answer is given. :flowerforyou:

^^^ THIS. Why do people feel like they need to come here to make fun of someone rather than nicely giving them the facts?

Anyways, I log my green tea occasionaly and MFP gives me -1 calories for every cup I drink. Most (take that with a grain of salt because I'm sure I'm wrong when I say most) vegetables are under 10 calories for a cup. I don't even count veggies if I'm feeling lazy and eat them at night to satisfy cravings.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    A negative calorie food is one where the 'calories out' involved in it's consumption are higher than the 'calories in' from the food.

Mine is the cheap swiss rolls you get in supermarkets.
    25p for around 100g and 400 calories.

To eat one, I have to cycle to Tescos to buy it, which is about 430 calories away.

So swiss roll = -30 calories!

QFT (and because the people working around me are wondering why I'm laughing)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    I though the purpose of MFP is for people to be able to ask questions, no matter how "stupid" they seem, in an effort to gain knowledge and support, a simple... "Yes, you should log all foods, as none are truly negative calorie." Would work, rather than sarcasm :smile: Some people, including myself, are still trying to weed out the "myths" or marketing ploys, from true fact... Thank you for the general support in that - it really is appreciated, when a simple truthful answer is given. :flowerforyou:

If you want that, you'll need to stop reading after the first...maybe the second page.
  • likitisplit

^^^ THIS. Why do people feel like they need to come here to make fun of someone rather than nicely giving them the facts?

Anyways, I log my green tea occasionaly and MFP gives me -1 calories for every cup I drink. Most (take that with a grain of salt because I'm sure I'm wrong when I say most) vegetables are under 10 calories for a cup. I don't even count veggies if I'm feeling lazy and eat them at night to satisfy cravings.

I swallowed a bug while running and logged it. Zero calories.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    A negative-calorie food would be a food that required more food energy to be digested than it provided. That is, its thermic effect – the caloric "cost" of digesting the food – would be greater than its food energy content. The thermic effect is scientifically called specific dynamic action. While this concept is popular in dieting guides, there is no scientific evidence supporting the idea that any food is a negative-calorie food.

Negative calorie vegetables: Aubergine, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chicory, Cress, Cucumber, Fennel, Gourd, Leek, Lettuce, Marrow,Peppers, Radish, Spinach,Tomato, Turnip, etc.
    Negative calorie fruits: Apricot, Blackberry Blackcurrant, Clementines, Damsons, Grapefruit, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Lemon, Mandarin orange, Melon Cantaloupe, Peaches, Plums, Raspberry, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon

Do yourself a really BIG favor.

Ditch this whole zero calorie food thing and just log EVERYTHING. In fact, for best practices, weigh it all out on a food scale.

If you don't do this, then bookmark this thread and when you are about to make a "Help, I'm not losing" thread, reference this and get an idea of where you are going wrong.

Pikachu is right. Listen to the Pokemon. They are your friends. Just log everything.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    8wsbs.jpg

You...I like you...

:flowerforyou:
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    A negative-calorie food would be a food that required more food energy to be digested than it provided. That is, its thermic effect – the caloric "cost" of digesting the food – would be greater than its food energy content. The thermic effect is scientifically called specific dynamic action. While this concept is popular in dieting guides, there is no scientific evidence supporting the idea that any food is a negative-calorie food.

Negative calorie vegetables: Aubergine, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Celery, Chicory, Cress, Cucumber, Fennel, Gourd, Leek, Lettuce, Marrow,Peppers, Radish, Spinach,Tomato, Turnip, etc.
    Negative calorie fruits: Apricot, Blackberry Blackcurrant, Clementines, Damsons, Grapefruit, Guava, Honeydew Melon, Lemon, Mandarin orange, Melon Cantaloupe, Peaches, Plums, Raspberry, Rhubarb, Strawberry, Tangerine, Watermelon

Did you get that list from Wikipedia?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    I thought the purpose of MFP is for people to be able to ask questions, no matter how "stupid" they seem, in an effort to gain knowledge and support, a simple... "Yes, you should log all foods, as none are truly negative calorie." Would work, rather than sarcasm :smile: Some people, including myself, are still trying to weed out the "myths" or marketing ploys, from true fact... Thank you for the general support in that - it really is appreciated, when a simple truthful answer is given. :flowerforyou:
    The purpose might also be to use the search function? Maybe once in a while even? There are 50 pages of results when you search "zero calorie". Just a thought.
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    WTF is a negative calorie food? I want it.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I think people consider food that are so low in calorie that you expend more calories chewing them, then you retain.

however a calorie is still a calorie and it still count towards your total for the day.
    i log everything.. even lettuce and celery :)
  • NS81
    NS81 Posts: 192 Member
    The purpose might also be to use the search function? Maybe once in a while even? There are 50 pages of results when you search "zero calorie". Just a thought.

I could also use google, but sometimes it's nice to have a conversation with people that have personal experience - and until recently, I wasn't familiar with how the "community" section worked entirely. Point taken, however, thank you :smile:
  • likitisplit
    Group hug!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    I don't log (most) raw fruits and vegetables because I need an incentive to include more of them in my diet. I know that I'd be tempted to just scan the bar code of a low cal processed food for a snack if I had to go through the trouble of weighing every strawberry or carrot stick I eat.

Serious question: how will you know whether you really are improving your intake of fruits and vegetables if you don't log them? What about your fiber goals?

You could weigh your day's allotment in the morning and put it in container, not weigh throughout the day.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    WTF is a negative calorie food? I want it.

air?

No wait- water! :drinker: