Workplace saboteurs...

Options

Replies

• MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be a big deal if it was just temptation. It does seem as soon as you refuse a treat you are the topic of conversation....and if you refuse it because you are trying to eat better it's apparently a total insult to the people eating it.

So yeah, it's only annoying when people make a big deal out of it, on either side. If I say no to cake, it doesn't mean I don't eat cake or that it's your cue to talk about how it wont kill you.

This.

There are times when I just end up lying and saying that I have an upset stomach already so I'm not sure I should have junk food.

And it's not just at the work place. 'What? I am making dinner for you as your friend but you don't want to eat the fries? What about just potatoes? What about rice? Garlic bread? Okay, pasta then? Well you can't just eat nothing! Eat a tiny bit! You are getting way too crazy about this insane diet you are on!'
  • MegE_N
    MegE_N Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    We had a meeting last week where someone brought these giant cinnamon rolls. Of course the head of the meeting was late, so I sat there with this box in front of me for 30 minutes. I got through it by focusing on having a tea latte once I got out. Just focused on that tea latte. And I got out, and had my 130 cal tea latte.
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    In my office we have one person who thankfully has stopped over the last few months from bringing sweets in, but she was bringing in £30 of sweets every week. At one point it was £20 EVERY DAY !!! That stopped after just over two weeks when one of the guys in the department pleaded to her to stop. Management have gotten involved and told her to stop now as well as people are sick of it.

We feel compelled to eat it so as not to offend her. She weighs 20+ stone and is enormous. She has type 2 diabetes but never eats any of the sweets herself. The theory was that she was doing it to get others to put on weight (everyone sat around her was pretty fit.)

We are a department of 70 people so it is always someones birthday every week or two. Lots of people take their birthday off so we are spared on those days but some others come in and bring in a huge load of cakes and doughnuts. :( Plus the coffee shop downstairs always have cakes and sweets every day. It is a constant struggle to avoid splurging :(
  • RealRelicVa
    RealRelicVa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Can I say something? Am I the only one a tad put off by the "tough love" comments as a response to food addiction? I mean if tough love works on every alcoholic, meth and crack head out there, there would be no need for Betty Ford or rehab right?

Im just saying, tough love definitely has its place, but if resisting bad food is enough of an issue to make a topic about it, then maybe its a bit deeper than "just say no" - my .02 cents. But in the end, its whatever works.

I have a very bad soda addiction that I'm fighting every single day, so I understand how "just saying no" can be difficult. Basically, if you put me in New Jack City, make me Chris Rock and turn the crack into soda...thats me.
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I have one that gets offended because i refuse to eat any cupcakes they bring in. Tries to guilt me into eating their fattening treats and making me seem unappreciative.

I refuse to eat salad and i'm not wasting my budget on empty calories. >:|

Next time that horrible person forces their cupcake on you just thank them and take it and go over to their office and smash it into their desk. Preferably their keyboard or the number keys on their phone.

Really the only way to deal with such horrible behavior is through extreme measures.

"If you insist" accept the cupcake and let them see you throw it away.
    You have accepted thier "gift". They will get the message and be smarter about asking you in the future.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Can I say something? Am I the only one a tad put off by the "tough love" comments as a response to food addiction? I mean if tough love works on every alcoholic, meth and crack head out there, there would be no need for Betty Ford or rehab right?

Im just saying, tough love definitely has its place, but if resisting bad food is enough of an issue to make a topic about it, then maybe its a bit deeper than "just say no" - my .02 cents. But in the end, its whatever works.

I have a very bad soda addiction that I'm fighting every single day, so I understand how "just saying no" can be difficult. Basically, if you put me in New Jack City, make me Chris Rock and turn the crack into soda...thats me.

Food =/= drugs. Not even close.

I was a 4-6 can of soda a day drinker. It's laziness, trust me. Grow up.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but claiming to have a soda addiction is insulting to people with actual addictions.

You just really like soda and don't want to stop drinking it.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    In for sabotage....
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I concur.
    Was in the same boat as you drinking pop.
    At work someone brings cheesecake, cookies, candy, etc at least once a week and many times twice a week.
    I used to always partake in them, and secretly hoping there would be some left for later in the day.

Once I made my mind up that I was serious about losing weight I stopped giving in.

It is the mental aspect weight loss. People use so many "excuses" such as this, parties, get togethers, holidays, etc as to why they cannot lose weight. Until they toughen up they will be saying the same thing year after year.

Skinny people at those things often and why do they stay skinny? Exercise. Eating in moderation. Knowing if they eat that piece of cheesecake at work they need to eat less later or work out more.
    Or they just abstain from eating it at all.
  • Always_Belle
    Always_Belle Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The workplace is the number one factor in why people find it difficult to a) lose weight and b) find balance in life. Sometimes you just have to say NO to the invites out and say NO to drinks after and say NO to that homemade cake and say No to the candy in the dish. Sometimes you must say YES. We have to find the balance and when you want it (health/fitness/reaching a goal) bad enough, you will know when to say NO and when to say YES.
  • sknoop76
    sknoop76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can pass up all the potluck goodies, no problem...My problem is with the people who sit around me trying to force feed junk to me. "Oh you have to treat yourself every now and then" "One won't hurt" "C'mon, you're not fat"

Gah....
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options

I concur.
    At work someone brings cheesecake, cookies, candy, etc at least once a week and many times twice a week.
    I used to always partake in them, and secretly hoping there would be some left for later in the day.

Once I made my mind up that I was serious about losing weight I stopped giving in.

It is the mental aspect weight loss. People use so many "excuses" such as this, parties, get togethers, holidays, etc as to why they cannot lose weight. Until they toughen up they will be saying the same thing year after year.

Skinny people at those things often and why do they stay skinny? Exercise. Eating in moderation. Knowing if they eat that piece of cheesecake at work they need to eat less later or work out more.

I completely agree with the firs post and disagree with those who have tried to say food =/= drugs. Yes it does.

“Some animal studies show that sugar is EIGHT TIMES MORE ADDICTIVE THAN COCAINE,” says Dr. Mark Hyman, who’s been researching the effect of the sweet stuff on our systems for 20 years, and has compiled the latest findings into his new book, “The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/dr-mark-hyman-shows-deadly-sugar-addiction-article-1.1608553#ixzz32GntsaB1

Research shows that sugar is very, very , very addictive. So much of it is in almost everything now. Sugar is added in several forms to most products, even things you wouldnt think would have sugar in them. High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, etc, some of the several ways sugar is put into our food without us even thinking about it. So to those of you who try to say "grow up" or food is not addictive-- I say bull........

I too had a 6 or more can of soda a day addiction when I was younger, and I quit and stopeed drinking soda all together, so I am not saying it cannot be overcome. I am saying that food IS an addiction- it retrieves all of the feel good chemicals in our brains that drugs do. Maybe not for everyone, but then not everyone becomes addicted to cocaine, meth or heroine either do they. And thats why thin people can say no to workplace parties, goodies, etc. Maybe they dont have a food addiction or an addictive personality that makes it harder for those of us who do to say no. I agree evernone has to find their own way to be able to say no,, but I do not agree that food is not an addiction. I personally know that it is!! Ok,, i will get off my soap box now.

:smile:
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I concur.

I completely agree with the firs post and disagree with those who have tried to say food =/= drugs. Yes it does.

“Some animal studies show that sugar is EIGHT TIMES MORE ADDICTIVE THAN COCAINE,” says Dr. Mark Hyman, who’s been researching the effect of the sweet stuff on our systems for 20 years, and has compiled the latest findings into his new book, “The Blood Sugar Solution 10-Day Detox Diet.”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/dr-mark-hyman-shows-deadly-sugar-addiction-article-1.1608553#ixzz32GntsaB1

Research shows that sugar is very, very , very addictive. So much of it is in almost everything now. Sugar is added in several forms to most products, even things you wouldnt think would have sugar in them. High fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, etc, some of the several ways sugar is put into our food without us even thinking about it. So to those of you who try to say "grow up" or food is not addictive-- I say bull........

I too had a 6 or more can of soda a day addiction when I was younger, and I quit and stopeed drinking soda all together, so I am not saying it cannot be overcome. I am saying that food IS an addiction- it retrieves all of the feel good chemicals in our brains that drugs do. Maybe not for everyone, but then not everyone becomes addicted to cocaine, meth or heroine either do they. And thats why thin people can say no to workplace parties, goodies, etc. Maybe they dont have a food addiction or an addictive personality that makes it harder for those of us who do to say no. I agree evernone has to find their own way to be able to say no,, but I do not agree that food is not an addiction. I personally know that it is!! Ok,, i will get off my soap box now.

When drinking pop is it the caffeine or sugar that gets people?
    To me it was always the caffeine that got me hooked. When I would stop I made sure to add in some excedrin migraine, or generic version, that contained some caffeine. I would ween myself off of those in a few days after giving up pop.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options

I concur.

When drinking pop is it the caffeine or sugar that gets people?
    To me it was always the caffeine that got me hooked. When I would stop I made sure to add in some excedrin migraine, or generic version, that contained some caffeine. I would ween myself off of those in a few days after giving up pop.

Probably both. For me it was the sugar. I still struggle with the sugar thing even now
  • TaliaCarmella
    Options
    OMG YES YES YES to everyone

People around my office always say "Its just one slice"... BUT ITS JUST ONE SLICE EVERY DAMN WEEK!!

Ugh, it all adds up.

I yelled at a co-worker whom I share an office with because he brought in a personal box of like 6 friggin top pot doughnuts.

Gosh darnit. I'm getting a little better, in that I know when I need to leave. It's like an addiction (it is an addiction, no?). I was shaking, I had to leave the office to clear my mind.

Blaaaaah... I even have an office on my desk that hasn't been used in a while because I don't want to bring any temptations to myself or anyone else. I just keep a bunch of veggies with me so if I get ansy I can snack on those while I occupy my mind with other things.
  • wood385
    wood385 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes! It is very hard... I try to refuse and they always push harder for me to take some. I say i'm on a diet, watching what I eat...etc and then it turns into a discussion on how I don't need to diet or you only live once or something like that. One of my coworkers says she doesn't like sweets... people seem to accept that excuse.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    These thing are going to be a part of everyday life. There's no use in avoiding every social occasion for fear of what food might be there. Eat in moderation and try to make it fit within your daily goals.

I would love a float today.

I used to think the same way as the OP
    Now I indulge in the office treats, I go to dinner with friends, I don't get an attitude when my husband uses half a lb of butter to make me a "healthy" fish dinner.
    Life is so much better now.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I concur.

I'm sure he's making a killing off of his brand of sugarfearmongering too.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    There are cupcakes at work today and...

I'm going to have one! I wish I could log it accurately just so I really know.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Frequently at school! So I choose to only have a small amount, or ask a friend if I can just try a bite, or decide not to eat it at all OR if I know there will be a treat, I leave 300-400 calories (mostly from fat and carbs) out of my day in case I decide to have something. I have worked hard since November to develop a healthy relationship with food and I'm not about to give up my social life to avoid food. It's everywhere and my body needs it.

If you have a genuine issue where you can't say no, look into therapy or try to figure out for yourself why you can't say no. Then fix it!