cut the SUGAR out

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, sugar absolutely does aid in making you fat.

Yes, Protein absolutely does aid in making you fat.

Both of these are true on the face of it.

Any food that is eaten aids in making a person fat. I am just going to stop eating all together, because eating breakfast is a trigger for lunch, and so on.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Excess sugar in the blood gets converted to fat.

False. Excess calories become fat. That is anything eaten in a surplus.

Nope, it's definitely glucose the person above is talking about.

I assume they are talking about carbs.

Carbs - converted to glucose, the glucose is then - taken up by the body as fuel, stored in the muscles and liver (limited storage), converted into body fat to be released as fuel at a later stage.
    So eating 10,000 calories of chicken breast won't make you fat? Fascinating.
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't make you fat, homey. Caloric surpluses do.

For SOME people, sugar causes hyperinsulinism, which in turn causes their appetite to get out of control, thus setting them up for a cycle of over eating resulting in weight gain.

Sugar will make you fat in extremely small quantities if your body reacts to it by flooding your system with insulin.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of replacing sugar with fruit. For instance, I put an apple in my mug of coffee earlier. The result was that I had less coffee so my calorie intake was less than it should have been. :o)

You do realize fruit has.... nevermind... at this point with all the sugar nonsense on the boards I can't tell who is trolling :laugh:

He's most definitely not trolling. No sir.

:laugh: :drinker:
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I can drink coffee without sugar, just milk, and I like the taste of yogurt so I get the kind without added sugar. Other than that, it's hard to give up sugar.

We also try to cook without added sauces which add sugar and sweetness. If you like Indian food, it seems to not have the overloaded sweetness that American food does.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Sugar doesn't make you fat, homey. Caloric surpluses do.

For SOME people, sugar causes hyperinsulinism, which in turn causes their appetite to get out of control, thus setting them up for a cycle of over eating resulting in weight gain.

Sugar will make you fat in extremely small quantities if your body reacts to it by flooding your system with insulin.

So sugar alone doesn't cause weight gain. Gotcha. It's a person's ability to adhere to their diet
  • whisperfitandhappy
    whisperfitandhappy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that sugar is the cause of obesity. Added sugar like in sweets such as cake and muffins or store bought snacks. I used to live on those foods and I know for a fact a lot of added sugar can and will make you gain weight. I tried sugar free foods but all they do to me is cause gas and diaherria. It really sucks how the best foods are so unhealthy.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In. :laugh:
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor that sugar is the cause of obesity. Added sugar like in sweets such as cake and muffins or store bought snacks. I used to live on those foods and I know for a fact a lot of added sugar can and will make you gain weight. I tried sugar free foods but all they do to me is cause gas and diaherria. It really sucks how the best foods are so unhealthy.

WRONG!!!!! Over eating more then what you burn is what cause weight gain!!!!!
  • Dreas70
    Dreas70 Posts: 4
    Options
    yeah I can't give up sugar completely.. I feel like i will binge if i do that, so i have just tried to cut it back where I'm not eating as much sugary foods…. I am back to walking/jogging 3 miles a day, so hoping to see more progress in the next few weeks… trying to stay motivated to keep working out this time!
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    So sugar alone doesn't cause weight gain. Gotcha. It's a person's ability to adhere to their diet
    brevity lol
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Why do people defend sugar on this site. Are you working for the sugar industry? It has no nutritional value that I know of, so if you are trying to lose weight, it seems logical to cut out foods that are empty calories. Congratulations to those of you that can eat whatever you want! How nice for those of you who have no clue what it feels like to be a carb addict. Tired of seeing this back lash everyday. People trying to eat healthier and you knocking them down. REALLY?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Why do people defend sugar on this site. Are you working for the sugar industry? It has no nutritional value that I know of, so if you are trying to lose weight, it seems logical to cut out foods that are empty calories. Congratulations to those of you that can eat whatever you want! How nice for those of you who have no clue what it feels like to be a carb addict. Tired of seeing this back lash everyday. People trying to eat healthier and you knocking them down. REALLY?
    Carbohydrates are nutrients. Sugar is a carbohydrate. You were saying?
  • SugaryLynx
    Options

Yeeees... I work from the depths of the ebil sugar industry.

Seriously? It's not empty, technically. It contains carbs, which are essential for functionality. I like to use them to fuel my training.

Here's the support for sugar: demonizing any food is a silly notion, as nothing is inherently evil, it is purely in the context of an individual's diet on whether it is "healthy" or not. I don't believe excess of anything is good for you. If you have triggers, sure, abstain from it. Whatever helps to adhere to your diet but no one is going to sit here and support someone merely cutting it out on the premise that it's evil or is the cause of weight gain and obesity. It's not. I got fat eating excess everything, not one food was more instrument in my self destruction than my inability to realize I was eating in excess. I would like to think that is what people are dispelling by fighting in these posts. I don't consider that knocking them down, it's enlightening them from misinformation
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Excess sugar in the blood gets converted to fat.

False. Excess calories become fat. That is anything eaten in a surplus.

Nope, it's definitely glucose the person above is talking about.

I assume they are talking about carbs.

Carbs - converted to glucose, the glucose is then - taken up by the body as fuel, stored in the muscles and liver (limited storage), converted into body fat to be released as fuel at a later stage.
    So eating 10,000 calories of chicken breast won't make you fat? Fascinating.

So how did you come up with that conclusion?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    We also try to cook without added sauces which add sugar and sweetness. If you like Indian food, it seems to not have the overloaded sweetness that American food does.

I don't get this. Sure, there's added sugar in lots of processed items (although plenty of processed items don't have sugar), and Americans seem quite fond of sugary cereals and treats, and I guess I'm old since it seems like the old idea that you ate treats sparingly, after other things, is not necessarily as common, but in what way is "American food" inherently sweet. I'm pretty sure we ate a pretty boringly typical midwestern diet when I grew up, with sadly overcooked vegetables, even, but normal food was meat plus a starch (commonly potatoes) and a vegetable, plus maybe some salad or rolls or other bread. I love Indian food--have cut down while dieting, sadly, but used to get Indian takeout at least once a week, and while what I eat is a lot spicier than what we normally ate and the naan is much better than our rolls, I really don't see how the "American food" was sweeter.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Was this your naturopath that said this?
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    There are better sources of carbs that actually contain vitamins.
  • SugaryLynx
    Options
    There are better sources of carbs that actually contain vitamins.

But if I've already gotten all my vitamins for the day, wth does it matter?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Actually, the problem here is that people in the forums feel like they have to operate in extremes. That anti-sugar crusade automatically believes (or accuses) those of us who eat sugar eat it all day long, without any adherence to our macros or overall diet plan. This is why there is backlash.

There is nothing inherently wrong with eating sugar - in moderation and in absence of a medical problem. To say that a piece of candy will blow your whole diet when you are staying within your calorie and macro goals is just...patently false. If you cannot have a piece of sugar because it will trigger you to go overboard, than that is a completely different story. Those of us who don't have that problem, however, should not feel the need to cut it our of our diets completely because it is "evil"