whey protein for women?

Options

Replies

• fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Whey protein doesn't make you pregnant if you practice safe sex and/or abstinence.

Whey protein doesn't give you yeast infection unless you have candida in your system, thus carbs and sugars feeds the yeast and gives you infection.

Oh jeez, you didn't get the irony in my post. Ha you thought I was actually serious???

Wow some people really don't get humour on here.

there's so much derp on this forum, it's sometimes difficult to distinguish between true derp and someone saying something ridiculous as a joke. So I can understand the error here.... it's not a lack of a sense of humour, it's a kind of harsh realisation that some people really are that stupid....

Totally agree
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I use Diet Whey Protein and its def not hindered my progress, if anything its helped as I have more energy for the gym and dont ache as much so no need for as many rest days :)

WTH is diet whey? Whey protein should have 1 thing....protein!
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too. I don't want to 'bulk up' or necessarily not bulk up. I am not even looking to build muscle, but I would like a bit. I am just trying to get all of my protein to have more energy, keep my muscle and build a bit. Should I start supplementing my diet with some? I never reach my protein target each day.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too. I don't want to 'bulk up' or necessarily not bulk up. I am not even looking to build muscle, but I would like a bit. I am just trying to get all of my protein to have more energy, keep my muscle and build a bit. Should I start supplementing my diet with some? I never reach my protein target each day.

It's not a question of "should". Can you? Sure. Or you can focus on eating more food with protein to help reah your goal. Or you can do a combination of both. There is no particular benefit to one over the other.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

Your protein intake is SUUUUPER low. You not only should supplement with a protein powder of some sort, but you need to actually EAT more protein as well. Lean meats, fish, nuts, eggs, cottage cheese, beans, Greek yogurt, etc. You should be taking in at least 1 g of protein per pound of lean body mass (LBM). I lift heavy so I take in more like 1 lb of protein per pound of body weight (I weigh 135 lbs and I take in about 130-160 g of protein daily). Protein will NOT bulk you up. It will NOT make you gain weight unless you're eating at a caloric surplus. Protein will prevent you from losing your muscle mass while losing weight, and it'll also help keep you feeling full.

Ladies - PLEASE eat protein!
  • IcanIwill1
    IcanIwill1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    ive been reading up on this with conflicting ideas. im wondering if whey protein is ok for women not to bulk up but to get the protein needed? or is it just a waste of calories , any opinions welcome or women who use it id like to hear if it has worked or not for you? any input appreciated!!
    On paper its perfect protein but meehn that stuff causes me massive cravings, that almost wrecked all my efforts.
    Any way my body is weird like that..opposite effect that it has on other normal homosapiens that.
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Your protein intake is SUUUUPER low. You not only should supplement with a protein powder of some sort, but you need to actually EAT more protein as well. Lean meats, fish, nuts, eggs, cottage cheese, beans, Greek yogurt, etc. You should be taking in at least 1 g of protein per pound of lean body mass (LBM). I lift heavy so I take in more like 1 lb of protein per pound of body weight (I weigh 135 lbs and I take in about 130-160 g of protein daily). Protein will NOT bulk you up. It will NOT make you gain weight unless you're eating at a caloric surplus. Protein will prevent you from losing your muscle mass while losing weight, and it'll also help keep you feeling full.

^^THIS^^

Solid advice here
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

But why do you "need" to supprotein powder? I have had similar goals in protein. Sometimes I use protein powder but most of the time I just hit my goals with food.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

But why do you "need" to supplement protein powder? I have had similar goals in protein. Sometimes I use protein powder but most of the time I just hit my goals with food.
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options

Protein will NOT bulk you up. It will NOT make you gain weight unless you're eating at a caloric surplus. Protein will prevent you from losing your muscle mass while losing weight, and it'll also help keep you feeling full.

^ this. Protein powder, or eating any type of protein, will not make you bulky!
  • LizL217
    LizL217 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input , i just linked whey protein with body building or something maybe ignorant of me. i am struggling to hit my protein goals, so maybe this is the answer but i dont like milk , can i take it with water?

I usually only supplement with whey protein after a particularly strenuous weight lifting session or on days when I am nowhere near my target of 100g of daily protein. Nothing wrong with using it, and you will certainly not get "bulky" unless you are in a calorie surplus and are also actively participating in a serious weight training regimen.

I mix chocolate whey protein in coffee and it's kind of like a mocha (I find that it dissolves better in hot liquid than cold).
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

But why do you "need" to supplement protein powder? I have had similar goals in protein. Sometimes I use protein powder but most of the time I just hit my goals with food.

No, I said she needed to EAT more protein. I said she SHOULD supplement with powder only because her intake is so low (I saw it as low as 25 g one day) that she'll probably find that it's easier to fit protein into her calorie goal if it's in the form of a protein shake than a big piece of meat with double the calories. Eating the protein is always preferable, but the powder helps many of us stay within our limits.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input , i just linked whey protein with body building or something maybe ignorant of me. i am struggling to hit my protein goals, so maybe this is the answer but i dont like milk , can i take it with water?

I mix it with yogurt and some other things as my breakfast. I don't have to taste it or feel the weird texture that way. I'd recommend getting a completely unflavored one; that way you can put it in yogurt or smoothies or even in baked goods. Often the flavored and/or sweetened whey proteins just taste nasty.
  • kirstenflood
    kirstenflood Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    thank you so much everybody for your replies i think when i get paid ill get some , and take on board some of the brands mentioned.
    also anyone feel free to friend me , always looking for new friends and advice :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Hm...when was the last time you had melted ice cream? Ice cream doesn't leave a horrendous taste in my mouth, I know that much.

the point i was making was that its each to their own, different people like different flavours....
  • kirstenflood
    Options
    right ive looked up a few powders mentioned on here, what type do you girls who drink it drink? i dont want one with aloada sugar or a stimulant in it just pure protein powder?
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Whey protein can cause a yeast infection, that is the only thing I would look out for. I found out the hard way so just beware.

I think this is my favourite forum post of all time :bigsmile:
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    right ive looked up a few powders mentioned on here, what type do you girls who drink it drink? i dont want one with aloada sugar or a stimulant in it just pure protein powder?

I'm in the UK like you, and use Bulk Powders Pure Whey Isolate 90 from Bulk Powders.co.uk. It comes in lots of flavours, I've had chocolate and chocolate peanut and both are good, and are a good price. If you use code LS85494, you will get £5 off your first order. :flowerforyou:
  • kirstenflood
    Options

I'm in the UK like you, and use Bulk Powders Pure Whey Isolate 90 from Bulk Powders.co.uk. It comes in lots of flavours, I've had chocolate and chocolate peanut and both are good, and are a good price. If you use code LS85494, you will get £5 off your first order. :flowerforyou:

thank you :)
  • kirstenflood
    Options
    so ive started on the whey protein it says take 2 servings a day.
    the mixing method is 70g ( 2 scoops ) to 1 pint of water - is this 2 servings or just one? because i looked it up on cals and if this is one serving then the cals are ridiculous
    can anybody help me at all coz im so confused?