Non-food, non-clothes reward ideas

Options
124»

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I will finally say what I have always thought about rewarding yourself for losing weight - it isn't going to help a thing. Because eventually you will have lost it all and will be (hopefully) maintaining for the rest of your life. How are you going to reward yourself then?

Losing weight and being healthy are rewards in and of themselves. Motivation cannot come from external things, but must come from within for long time success.

Once you've lost the weight you can always set new fitness-related goals like lifting PRs or race times. You could reward yourself for X amount of months of maintaining which is every bit as hard as losing the weight (some would say harder)

Everyone is motivated differently, I say do whatever keeps you on track and whatever works for you. Yes you need internal motivation to get started but I would argue that a combination of internal and external motivation will be the best combination for success. There aren't many people who are wholly internally motivated
  • sugarlemonpie
    sugarlemonpie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I LOVE any sort of beauty and pampering stuff. Candles, bath stuff, face masks, makeup, etc. <3
  • truckerbabe67
    Options
    Buy yourself a charm braclet (troll beads, Pandora, or a copy), and add a charm each time you lose 5 pounds.

WOW! thats a great idea! and the charms can be different for what ever your likes may be? animals , flowers , patriotic, relegious, etc?.

thanks for sharing that!

anouther one could be possibly an ankle braclett? maybe add some charms to that if possible?
  • truckerbabe67
    Options
    maybe a new photo album to put your progress pictures in? maybe make a picture for each month? and could be a very pretty album and you can add saying's or words or quotes.

I myself love to buy maybe a new makeup eyeliner/ eyeshadow? or maybe a new skin care lotion that smells really good they have some nice matching scented lotions and body sprays that are very nice and not too expensive.

maybe go out and see a movie with freinds that you've been wanting to see? or to a live music somewhere? or just go out to the beach with freinds or family.

maybe a nice road trip if you can afford the gas, etc. maybe go hiking someplace nice. if thats what you like to do?

I also enjoy listening to self help audio books from www.audible.com esp if im driving or working i can download them onto my smartphone.

( oh and maybe paint my nails a new color, or if you can afford it go get a manicure or pedi or both? ..i think someone prob already mentioned that? if so nevermind that one.)
  • jonesbird
    jonesbird Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm going to put $2.50 in a jar for every pound lost. That way, when I eventually reach my target I'll have lots of money to spend on my treat!
  • ellipsisdream
    ellipsisdream Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am planning a fitbit once I have lost 21 more pounds- it is something I really want, but I see it as a confirmation of my commitment to my journey, as well as a reward.

My reward/adventure is to go ziplining in the mountains for my 40th birthday- but only if I hit Onederland... that would be so scary and freeing- I get all excited (and nervous) just thinking about it. So I guess the reward is actually celebrating both milestones.

My mini-goals... every 10 pounds lost = an Amazon gift card for $20.

Maybe losing the weight and getting healthy should be its own reward- and for me it is... the rewards are symbols of accomplishment on my journey to health. A fitbit will contribute to my journey, and be a reminder to stay on track. Being able to zipline for my 40th and not worry I am too heavy- it is freedom, and reassurance that I can do anything. Even if it was nail polish, or clothes, or a memory bracelet, I do not see a problem with rewarding positive change. And when the weight loss is finished, why should we not continue to reward ourselves? For me, I see it partially as a learning process to treat myself better than I do right now. Maintaining later also should have rewards for me, to remind me of my commitment to health- and also I believe if we treat ourselves better, we make better choices. I know I do. When I treat myself poorly, I tend to not care and make poor choices that reflect that- which only tanks my self esteem more. When I choose to treat myself well, I make better choices and feel better about myself. Why would I not reward that?

I hope some of that makes sense.
  • rencawdor24
    rencawdor24 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Some really great ideas here!

As I was reading through, the posts triggered off a reminder that I wanted pearl studs before, but never got round to getting one as I didn't feel I needed it. So if I manage to lose another 7lb, I'll start looking for the studs. And hopefully everytime I wear it, it will remind me of my weight loss journey.

Thanks so much for the ideas!
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    In honor of myself hitting a 50 lb loss, I am going to get my first ever manicure today with fancy schmancy nails..Im excited!!
  • 949BeachMom
    Options
    cute hair clip like gold or nice pearls or fake diamonds . Maybe cut some bangs .