I'm a failure

Options
Everyone is so good about posting their success stories and everyone is so encouraging and supportive. How about if I'm a failure? What if for 3 days I have been totally backsliding into all of my bad habits of overeating, eating junk, and NOT exercising. I thought it would be a one day fall. THen I committed to getting back on track after two days. Yesterday was three. How do I stop this downward spiral? How do I get my mental strength back for today? How do I not tell myself lies about how it's not worth it and I have so far go that I can't see my goals? And that now I've screwed up what I had started to accomplish?

Replies

• weatheredcheese
    weatheredcheese Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Don't see it as screwing up, simply a 3 day blip, we all have them.
    Just simply consider today as a new day and the last 3 days don't matter.

Having a couple of off days does not mean you should give up, so just get back up again and do something about it.
  • sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Options
    First thing you can do is stop thinking your'e a failure. It's much harder than it sounds, actually, but feeling bad about yourself is.. well, not a good thing. Besides, it also makes it want to punish yourself, and not in a good way like '10 extra minutes of exercise'. Somewhere in the back of your head there can be that annoying voice saying 'I'm a failure so I don't even deserve to be healthy and lose weight'. Do you agree with that voice? If not, tell it to shut up, and tell it that you'll prove you can be healthy, and achieve whichever goals you set for yourself.

Get some friends to help you out as well!
  • IsabellaGiano
    IsabellaGiano Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You decide.

12 pounds are not "nothing". You couldn't have washed that accomplishment in three days. That little success story of yours.

And even if you did? You may start again. For yourself. To write a success story by yourself. To FEEL like a success. You didn't do anything that the majority of the people here, yes, also the "success story" ones, didn't do.

So, if they can, you can. Because they are not special person. They are like you, like me. They lost control of themselves, they decided to gain it back, they fought, they lost sometimes... but decided to go on anyway. That is the only point.

You can start again. Starting again IS a victory.
    The only real failure, is to stop.

Go on! :)
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Has there been any source of stress,emotional or physical recently?
    Were you restricting calories toomuch or avoiding entire food groups?it is a long drawn out bsttle and life happens regardless.don't beat yourself up,but analyze and locate the triggers,good luck and be happy
  • SamBlease1973
    Options
    You're not a failure - look at how far you've already come... & you must have progressed if you're backsliding. Try setting yourself smaller goals. Telling yourself you've got 28lbs to lose with no clear end date in mind is a lot more daunting than saying you want to lose 4lbs by the end of the month. Keep going fowards, you can do it! :happy:
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    a few days isn't a fail, and it's going to happen. Be kinder to yourself, you are human. See if you can figure out WHY you this behavior is happening rather than beating yourself up.

Myself, I do periodically this as well.
    I call these periods "vacations from motivation"
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to tackle everything at once, it's no wonder the results suck. Try to figure out which is the most acute thing to change and focus on that. For good measure, add a simple one such as tracking daily glasses of water and you can build momentum from that.

Once you're on a roll, it's much easier to ask for more from yourself, but be realistic. It's a lifestyle change and the success stories are the result of usually months or years of hard work. Be patient.

Realise that 1+1+1 is the same as 2+1 or 3+0; you can reach the same result in many ways and for purposes of lifestyle change I'd say 1+1+1 is the most humane way to create permanent change.

ETA
    Read this, by Kelly McGonigal for Yoga International:
    http://yogainternational.com/article/view/how-to-create-a-sankalpa
    Forget the "goals" and "resolutions".
  • Bigaway
    Bigaway Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was just HOPING someone would reply. I just needed someone who understood to give me some support. And a kick in the butt. I needed to hear from someone besides WRONG voices in my head!
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Screwing up implies that you did something wrong or bad. This journey your on takes time, and some days will be better than others. Just because you have a bad day, or a few bad days, doesn't mean you've undone all your work.

Today is a new day, fresh, with no mistakes in it yet. YOU have the power to make it better than the last three days! Even if its something small like eating healthier today, or going for a walk. Small steps, one day at a time will help you get to your goal. We are all our own worst critics. Forgive yourself, brush yourself off, and continue on because YOU'RE NOT A FAILURE.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    1. Try not to do too much, too soon. The ONLY key to weight loss, barring some kinds of health conditions, is to burn more calories than you consume.

2. You failed, you are not a failure. See the difference? Pick yourself, dust yourself off, and get back to it like nothing ever happened.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    No one is perfect. Respond to the lapse by redoubling your efforts toward a positive step today. Every day is an opportunity to take a positive step forward. Big or small, make it a step forward and by the time you know it, all of the positive steps will have taken you somewhere wonderful.

What you cannot do, is wallow in self pity. When your friends see you progress, no one will care that there were some bumps in the road.
  • Mrs_Hoffer
    Mrs_Hoffer Posts: 5,194 Member
    Options
    You are NOT a Failure! The only way to fail is to stop trying all together. Take baby steps. Set smaller goals. Make your goals measurable and obtainable. Ive been working on week 4 of c25k for 3 weeks now,,,, but i simply REFUSE to give up!

Just DONT GIVE UP, and you will make progress!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm really, really stubborn and have an incredibly hard time asking for help. Proof that I'm on the right path is that I've started to reach out more and I just wanted to add that you should be proud for recognising what's happening this early on, sucking up "pride" and asking for help. It's not an easy thing to do, because it exposes us to judgment and if we are vulnerable enough, said judgment can set us completely off course.

Look up Brené Brown's talk on vulnerability, ted.com, too. It's glorious.
  • tcbs99
    tcbs99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    "We will eat the fruit of our words." That means we will get exactly what we've been saying. Joel Osteen
    We must only speak what we want to see in our life. Teach your mouth to speak what you want to see. Faith is the evidence of the things not seen. By faith you are a winner, by faith you are delivered from the weights that bind you (physical and spiritual). We can only live one second, minute, hour and day at a time. Yesterday is gone, so just live today. Take it one step at a time. Continue to post and read the comments in this awesome community of people doing the same thing, getting healthier.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    You are not alone in this.

Part of the process is recognizing what is happening and picking yourself up when you fall.
  • Bigaway
    Bigaway Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    AWESOME community. I am brought to tears by these comments from people who don't even know me. I can't believe the support. I really can't. It's amazing.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    When I do that, I try to keep track mentally of all the crap I'm eating/drinking and log it the best I can even if it's at the end of the day. And write a note in the comment at the bottom "stressed out" "still on the booze binge" as a reminder of was going on.

I figure when I snap out of the funk and get my spunk back, I can look back and try to figure out what was happening and maybe learn something to try to change things for the future. The more we recognize the pattens of what got us unhealthy the better I figure. It's a process.

Ususally for me those bad eating periods will last about 4 days or so and I'll start feeling so physically crappy I have to change things around and get back on the wagon because I feel so sluggish.