Mothers raising the next generation of fat kids

Options

Replies

• 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Your peek at people is only a peek. You can't assume the entire diet of a child based on goofy Facebook updates or a family dining out. Focus on your kid/kids and stop expending so much emotional energy on something that isn't within your control and, frankly, not your business.

So much this.

I don't want my kids to ever be viewing foods as restricted. We eat vegetables and meats and breads and ice cream.

We also play out side and my 3 year old loves to "train" with me (that's what he calls it when I exercise).

One day I was doing my sprints and ball slams and looked up and he was sprinting then picking up his little football, slamming it down, doing a perfect squat to pick it up, then slamming it again.

Our kids watch us more than we think.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    OMG I let my 1 yr old dig into the free mini chocolate cake that came with her actual birthday cake. Better call DHS or CPS and tell them I'm a horrible mother.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Wow. Such judgment. And to deny your children one of the pleasures of life (the occasional bite of delicious food)...wow.

I have an almost 5 year old and a 2.5 year old. Both my kids are absolutely, 100%, allowed a "treat" after dinner every single day, assuming they've put a good effort into eating their meal. And we probably eat restaurant/fast food or pizza 6 times a month or so, give or take a couple. And they often get fruit snacks as a snack. And my absolute favorite picture of my daughter on Facebook is one of her covered in frosting and green sprinkles with a GIANT smile on her face while we were decorating Christmas cookies last year. BAD MOTHER ALERT.

Or....not? Both my kids are squarely in the healthy weight ranges for their height and age. My son is a beanpole, but he's solid muscle, so while he looks underweight, he isn't, he just has very low body fat. Also, nearly every night, my son will ask for an extra snack after his after-dinner treat (he's more of an all-day grazer while my daughter will eat more at meals but snacks far less). Do you know what he requests? A whole, raw carrot, plus usually some fruit alongside. That's 100% his choice. When I make meals for them, it (with only extremely rare exceptions) always includes a vegetable and often a fruit as well, and they both like vegetables very much, as well as a million other kinds of food, ranging from chicken nuggets to white bean and kale soup. Sure, my 2.5 year old is still in a slightly picky stage on veggies, but my son went through the same thing at that age and came out ok (see above re: raw carrots). Both my kids are also extremely active. They participate in age-appropriate organized sports and play outside and we go to the park every single evening weather permits in the spring/summer/fall (helps me, too, since it's 1.5 miles roundtrip and it's a good walk for me pushing almost 70 pounds of children in a double stroller).

It's called BALANCE. Isn't that what the vast vast majority of us strive for here? I've seen 80% "healthy" food and 20% "junk" food tossed around frequently (I know, I know, the terms themselves can be highly debated, but I'm positive everyone knows what I'm getting at). If you're hitting your calories and your macros and your micros then rock on however you get there if it makes you happy, right? Why on earth wouldn't we teach our kids the same thing? My kids know that treats are fine, treats are great. But ONLY if you've eaten the food that makes your body strong first. I'd much rather my kids eat a couple of Starbursts every night and grow up having learned what a balanced diet really means than grow up not knowing how to work those things into their days (OR grow up only knowing crap food, to be fair).
  • BarbieAS
    Options
    Wow, I must be a terrible mother - I have a pic of my son on my Facebook with Nutella smeared all over his face...

And it's adorable. :flowerforyou:

I had a terrible mother - she NEVER gave me Nutella! I guess that's why I ended up fat and on MFP...

That's how this works, right?

Ohh.. I get it now.. Yep.. It's all my mother's fault that I drank too much and ate too much junk during college..

I think we are all taking what she said out of context. She was talking about little babies, not small kids.

We all have those photos. There is a huge difference from doing It every now and then to every day.

^Thank you. Yes I am talking about little babies (Mostly under the age of one, where there digestive system can not process certain foods as good as older kids) also you can't teach a baby about moderation. You control entirely what goes into there mouths. When they can communicate back and understand than give them the chocolate bar, and teach them that it is ok to have a treat every now and than, but too much could lead to diabetes and obesity.

Oh so you see a lot of 3 moth old babies eating hamburgers, fries, and chicken fingers...right go on tell me more. Me thinks somebody was just trying to make up a rant so they could start a post on here. Backfired a bit though.

Hm. I missed this bit of info before I responded? We're talking about infants only? Shoot, if I had a 10 month old with the coordination and choppers to get through a cheeseburger, I'd give him two. That's serious business.
  • 12by311
    Options
    Stop being a sanctimommy. Mothers get judged enough for everything they do -- relax and just focus on your own kid.

Speaking of...

Sanctitoddler or sanctibaby (can't remember) on twitter is a hilarious account!
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Wow. Such judgment. And to deny your children one of the pleasures of life (the occasional bite of delicious food)...wow.

I have an almost 5 year old and a 2.5 year old. Both my kids are absolutely, 100%, allowed a "treat" after dinner every single day, assuming they've put a good effort into eating their meal. And we probably eat restaurant/fast food or pizza 6 times a month or so, give or take a couple. And they often get fruit snacks as a snack. And my absolute favorite picture of my daughter on Facebook is one of her covered in frosting and green sprinkles with a GIANT smile on her face while we were decorating Christmas cookies last year. BAD MOTHER ALERT.

Or....not? Both my kids are squarely in the healthy weight ranges for their height and age. My son is a beanpole, but he's solid muscle, so while he looks underweight, he isn't, he just has very low body fat. Also, nearly every night, my son will ask for an extra snack after his after-dinner treat (he's more of an all-day grazer while my daughter will eat more at meals but snacks far less). Do you know what he requests? A whole, raw carrot, plus usually some fruit alongside. That's 100% his choice. When I make meals for them, it (with only extremely rare exceptions) always includes a vegetable and often a fruit as well, and they both like vegetables very much, as well as a million other kinds of food, ranging from chicken nuggets to white bean and kale soup. Sure, my 2.5 year old is still in a slightly picky stage on veggies, but my son went through the same thing at that age and came out ok (see above re: raw carrots). Both my kids are also extremely active. They participate in age-appropriate organized sports and play outside and we go to the park every single evening weather permits in the spring/summer/fall (helps me, too, since it's 1.5 miles roundtrip and it's a good walk for me pushing almost 70 pounds of children in a double stroller).

It's called BALANCE. Isn't that what the vast vast majority of us strive for here? I've seen 80% "healthy" food and 20% "junk" food tossed around frequently (I know, I know, the terms themselves can be highly debated, but I'm positive everyone knows what I'm getting at). If you're hitting your calories and your macros and your micros then rock on however you get there if it makes you happy, right? Why on earth wouldn't we teach our kids the same thing? My kids know that treats are fine, treats are great. But ONLY if you've eaten the food that makes your body strong first. I'd much rather my kids eat a couple of Starbursts every night and grow up having learned what a balanced diet really means than grow up not knowing how to work those things into their days (OR grow up only knowing crap food, to be fair).

I'm not trying to cause an argument, but the OP never said there was ANYTHING wrong with a treat. She was simply saying there's really no reason for a BABY (whom is in the most crucial growing stages in life, and has not yet had to be exposed to sugar and chemical food additives) to be eating or drinking foods that aren't naturally occurring and healthy for them.

Treats are fine, but a lot of parents don't understand themselves what a "treat" is and don't/can't teach their children that that kind of food is not food you should be eating daily/meal-ly for a healthful life. I know mine certainly had no idea and made no effort, and I really wish my parents had taken the initiative to understand what they were giving me to put in my own body before bad habits could form and get me into deep trouble. I'd also like to add (because you mentioned your children's weights and body sizes) that I never thought anything of my parent's terrible choices for themselves and for me because both were stick thin but ate trash constantly, every meal of the day. It's important to recognize that weight is not the best indication of health.
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Mothers are seen as the primary caregivers and therefore get all of the blame and judgment. Umm, there are fathers too.
  • 12by311
    Options
    She was simply saying there's really no reason for a BABY (whom is in the most crucial growing stages in life, and has not yet had to be exposed to sugar and chemical food additives) to be eating or drinking foods that aren't naturally occurring and healthy for them.

Maybe the cake was completely made with all organic ingredients
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    She was simply saying there's really no reason for a BABY (whom is in the most crucial growing stages in life, and has not yet had to be exposed to sugar and chemical food additives) to be eating or drinking foods that aren't naturally occurring and healthy for them.

Maybe the cake was completely made with all organic ingredients

haha, maybe! :laugh:
  • willieb2
    willieb2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the idea that you can judge parents for that. You don't know us or the rest of the diet. Besides, the reason I'm on here is because this idea works with anything you want to eat, as long as you balance it right. So don't tell me that my kid can't have some cake and be healthy too.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options

So you don't think that a kid that's one year old can have a piece of cake for his/her first birthday?

if you think what you see on facebook is a credible glimpse at someone's daily life you are sorely mistaken.
  • BarbieAS
    Options

I'm not trying to cause an argument, but the OP never said there was ANYTHING wrong with a treat. She was simply saying there's really no reason for a BABY (whom is in the most crucial growing stages in life, and has not yet had to be exposed to sugar and chemical food additives) to be eating or drinking foods that aren't naturally occurring and healthy for them.

Treats are fine, but a lot of parents don't understand themselves what a "treat" is and don't/can't teach their children that that kind of food is not food you should be eating daily for a healthful life. I know mine certainly had no idea and made no effort, and I really wish my parents had taken the initiative to understand what they were giving me to put in my own body before bad habits could form and get me into deep trouble.

First, see my post immediately following the one you quoted. Second, my comment was not directed exclusively at the OP, but anyone who expressed a similar opinion. Third, while putting Mountain Dew in a bottle for a 3 month old or something is certainly not acceptable, there's nothing wrong with allowing "treats" for a 1-1.5 year old.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one more amused by the lack of grammar than the idea of giving a kid a chocolate bar? Aloud vs allowed, there vs their.. I'd rather my son know how to spell and choose his words correctly than avoid a Snickers.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Hey, If it's good enough for Honey Boo-Boo, it should be good enough for any kid!!
  • dmarsh1018
    dmarsh1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    OP, you could benefit from reading this link http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

You can thank me later. :flowerforyou:

My thoughts exactly.

Seriously that's all I could see in the post. I suppose healthy does not equal smart.

Oh and I'm in the bad mom club, too!
  • jar819
    jar819 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I understand the concerns that many people have and responded to the OP by telling her to mind her business and watch your own kids..this is true, but you can't turn a blind eye to the fact that American children in the modern world are becoming more obese and at risk for many related diseases because of their diet and/or lack of exercise. As an educator for the past 20 years I see kids struggling with their weight much more in recent years than ever before. Our society has changed greatly and parents, schools, food manufacturers, fast food industry etc... are all in the same boat of adding to the obesity epidemic.

A recent movie documentary with Katy Couric entitled " Fed Up" is out in theaters now. I read the plot summary and it touches on many of the same issues being brough up on this thread. Here is the summary: Upending the conventional wisdom of why we gain weight and how to lose it, Fed Up unearths a dirty secret of the American food industry-far more of us get sick from what we eat than anyone has previously realized. Filmmaker Stephanie Soechtig and TV journalist Katie Couric lead us through this potent exposé that uncovers why-despite media attention, the public's fascination with appearance, and government policies to combat childhood obesity-generations of American children will now live shorter lives than their parents did.
    Sounds like we should all stop pointing fingers and be accountable for our own lifeltyles and be open to the facts. Just my two cents.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one more amused by the lack of grammar than the idea of giving a kid a chocolate bar? Aloud vs allowed, there vs their.. I'd rather my son know how to spell and choose his words correctly than avoid a Snickers.

QFT!!!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^Thank you. Yes I am talking about little babies (Mostly under the age of one, where there digestive system can not process certain foods as good as older kids) also you can't teach a baby about moderation. You control entirely what goes into there mouths. When they can communicate back and understand than give them the chocolate bar, and teach them that it is ok to have a treat every now and than, but too much could lead to diabetes and obesity.

is there some sort of link for that???

their digestive system is not actually developed and can only eat baby forumla?

How on EARTH did we the human race survive without GERBERS!!!!!!! what did those poor babies eat outside mommy's milk.

Oh that's right.

it was milk.
    or food.
    like everyone else ate.

you're over thinking and you're being way to concerned about other peoples kids.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    FACT - There will always be parents out there that should not be parents...for many reasons other than what they feed their kids (though, without a doubt, this can be concerning in some circumstances.) Unfortunately, these parents will never know who they are.
    Some diets are better then others, but feeding a child a diet that does not conform to your ideals (generic you) does not make it a bad diet. Bad parents do know who they are, bad parents just don't care. That is why they are bad parents.

I agree with you 100%. my son is 18months and has never had chocolate or anything like that. he eats healthier then I do! Its always those mothers that try and justify it by saying oh my kid doesnt like veggies... that sounds more like a parenting problem to me!

Poor kid. chocolate is yummy.. I really really hope you did the smash cake for his 1st birthday. That's a rite of passage.. denying your kid treats such as chocolate just means he will eat a ton when mommy isn't around. sorry, but that's the plain truth of it. My son has never been restricted from eating treats (quantity was limited before though), and now he moderates himself.
    Wow, I must be a terrible mother - I have a pic of my son on my Facebook with Nutella smeared all over his face...
    Welcome to the club! *pulls up second chair* We have cookies here. :drinker:

Father chiming in...

Every year on my son's actual birth date, whatever day of the week it falls on, his grandparents take him to a pizza buffet. It started when he was 1. He is now 8 and...pretty skinny. He also loves cheeseburgers. Like LOVES cheeseburgers. Doesn't much care for candy but can polish off a bag of cheetos like no one's business. This is all allowed because he doesn't get this kind of stuff OFTEN. A treat is a treat, not a regularity. At that point, it is no longer a treat. Kinda makes sense that way. My daughter on the hand, goes ape crazy over chicken nuggets, and "bee cereal". She gets these things. But the rules at my house are simple, you eat what your given, and only after that, you can eat whatever you want. Sometimes my boy throws a fit over dinner, and I don't blame him. Few kids are thrilled when they see a bowl full of stewed tomatoes, chicken, and who knows what else. But he wants his damn waffles for dessert, and so that soup gets ate pretty quick. It's not rocket science, it's incentive and common sense.

There are bad parents, and there are back seat observers who know little to nothing about the people they comment on. And yes, we had the smash cake as well for both of them. Number three will turn one year old later this year and I imagine we will do the same with him. Teach your kids moderation, because you won't be around them all the time, and their friends WILL have stuff you don't have at home. Teach them how to eat, not just what to eat.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Where the heck did all these millions of overweight people on MFP came from? They become too heavy by themselves?

At least some had to be spoiled by their parents. I know for myself I had very limited knowledge about nutrition, calories, exercise etc. prior to joining MFP. Parents or school did not provide me whith sufficient and adequate know-how. The point of this thread are not Nutella's smeared baby faces but the fact their parents have no idea what Nutella and cakes actually are.
This discussion has been closed.