Fattest girl at the gym

Options

Replies

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I tend to be judgy of people who are just burning time and 'pretending' to exercise, not based on their size. You'll get more respect as the fat chick who's rocking her workout than the skinny girl who might as well not even be there. That being said, if gymtimidation would keep you from getting in your exercise, you can absolutely rock a work out at home with little or no financial investment.

Same. There was this woman I always used to see during the "resolution rush" at my gym. She'd get on the elliptical next to me for 6 minutes at 3 MPH and then stop. You might say "maybe she was lifting after" but no, she wasn't.

I get really annoyed when I see this kind of stuff, because I know she's probably telling everyone that she's "working out" but "not losing weight."

But to be less of a negative jerk, I was never the biggest woman/person in the gym, but I was very embarrassed to go in there and huff and puff and sweat at my starting weight. I am 10 lbs away from my goal now, and I never would have gotten here if I didn't keep going back despite being embarrassed. Keep it up, don't worry about what other people think.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you're there working hard, I can virtually guarantee that most people are silently cheering you on. Any people that are exceptions to that statement aren't worth worrying about - they have their own issues.

Having been bigger, I'm no stranger to the feeling that I needed to get into shape to go to the gym, but having lost weight I know those feelings were unjustified. Now when I'm at the gym and see someone my original size (or larger), I'm just thinking 'good for you...' and admire the courage on display.

So go to the gym - the only thing you need to worry about is your workout! :smile:
  • themeaningofthemorning
    themeaningofthemorning Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i have the most respect out of anyone for the biggest people at the gym. theyre the ones trying to start new good habits, theyre the ones carrying around 100 extra lbs on that treadmill, theyre the ones who have to work against everything they have gotten used to in their life in order to try and better themselves. its like someone looking at the base of mt. everest and saying "y'know what, *kitten* it, ima climb that f*cker. it may beat the hell out of me, people may think im a fool or my efforts are fruitless, but i will climb"

everyone is self conscious at first, but eventually you realize that most people in the gym are concentrated on their own workouts, and if they arent then they are wasting their time and money at the gym
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    That's why I bought a treadmill. Well, one reason. Other was the gym was a 15 minute drive and with kids, that's crazy. Gas too... so it was cheaper. I have vad anxiety because of my weight and all the young, skinny, bimbo types at the gym were not helping that.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    don't sweat it. you keep doing your thing. you should compare yourself to who you were yesterday rather than comparing yourself to those in the gym. keep on keeping on!!!
  • pspielmann
    pspielmann Posts: 1
    Options
    No wonder what your size I promise you no one is thinking negative of you. Trust me they are cheering for you! OK there MIGHT be a dirtbag thinking "ha ha look at her" but a dirtbag is that way to everyone, a person's size has nothing to do with it, he trash talks everyone and he's a loser.

Most people at the gym are not athletes, they also started new. If you are heavy and stand out, they are cheering for you. Hoping or praying or wishing you well - feel those good thoughts!! If you are new to the gym or inexperienced in a different area (say the weight room or elliptical), they probably will not reach out to you,. It's just common in a gym no matter what your size or ability, other than a hello it takes a long time to meet people there. Say hello to a friendly face, everyone likes that. People watching is a great way to learn. Fri night, Sat or Sun afternoon are the best time to go. It,'s not too busy and this is when the most dedicated ones are there. They are usually very nice and this is the perfect time to learn new things by watching others because they are experienced. BIG reason to go to they gym at that time- it's also not crowed so you will not feel pressure or rushed.

If you jog or run outside, no one thinks you're too slow or jiggle too much. You are out there & doing it. They see you and are thinking "I need to get my run in too" or "Good for her! I wish my (insert name of loved one) would give that a try" stuff like that.

Keep it up! Exercise is so important.
    1. It makes you want to eat better
    2. Reduces stress therefore emotional eating
    3. More muscle means better weight loss. It is hard to lose weight by diet alone.
    4. You are rewarded by how much better your body functions over time as your fitness improves.
    5. Rewards are important! Set rewards for yourself like $10 of new music on your i pod, new workout clothes, splurge at the salon, a cool pair of sneakers.
    6. Pay attention to how you are getting stronger and faster. Track your time and distance covered, you will keep improving. Run Keeper is great for tracking lots of exercise not just running - and they email you when you break your record.
    7. Don't just check weight. Measure your body, you can track that on here. If you gain muscle but lose fat the scale won't tell you but you need to measure your body or at least an unforgiving pair of jeans to know. Look up a picture of 1 pound of muscle vs fat - and remember how strong you are getting with you exercise!
    8. Consistent high quality exercise will keep your mind, emotions and body strong.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Meh. I'm almost always the fattest person at the gym. Doesn't bother me. Go in, do your thing, and don't worry about anyone else. Can almost guarantee that they aren't worrying about you.
    Exactly. I was nearly 300 lbs, but I just did it. No one was paying attention to me in the least.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    At my first marathon there was around 6,000 people. I was the fattest one by far. I have ran that same marathon 6 times and each year there more people bigger than me.

Use your gym situation as motivation. I am much more impressed with a heavy set girl pushing herself sweating buckets becuse she is working hard than I am with a supper skinny girl in makeup that isn't working up a sweat.

Also stop comparing yourself to others. Compare yourself to who your going to be
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Being the fattest girl at the gym is better than being the skinniest broad at the buffet.

I had a line very similar I was about to type. This guy beat me to it. As he said, at least you are the fattest girl at the gym. That means you are doing better than most. Keep it up!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've never been really big, but I have seen larger women at the gym. While they may feel self conscious, I see something different. I see strength and commitment within them. They are there to make a change. It is beautiful to me. Don't feel discouraged. You are an inspiration to many. By being there you are showing people that you have dedicated yourself to a healthy change. You show us that it's never too late to be healthy. For all of us at the gym, we know that it is a lifestyle change to better our health. We are there because fitness is an everyday thing. I'm glad you are part of the club.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I was ONCE the fattest girl at the gym. It's the gym that's responsible for me NOT being that anymore, though.

I can see it from a perspective, though, where it's like, "Hey, I don't WANT your kudos. You think you're cool because you're praising me for doing what I should have been doing all along? You think that makes you sensitive to my problems? Eff off." I really CAN see how some people might feel about that. Me, I'll take praise if you want to give it to me, but others, yeah - they don't want attention called to it. Totally get that.

I just go in, do my workout, and leave - I'm not there to win friends or influence people, heh. If I see someone bigger than me in there now, I just look at them for a second, think, "Yeah, I've been where you are. You can do it.", and that's the end of it. I've got other fish to fry. So to speak.
  • FatNFightingIt
    FatNFightingIt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I remember at 220 lbs (5'3" tall) thinking that I should join a fitness boot camp. Brilliant! I even called and asked if there were any big girls in the class and was told yes. Well...I walked in the first day to a group of 20 women that were no where near big girls. The largest one was maybe 10-20 pounds overweight tops. My mantra became: I'm not doing this for them, I'm doing it for me. Sure, I was aware that I didn't have the physical abilities that they did. For example, I couldn't run at first. But you can bet your butt that I could by the end and they were all commenting on how much I had improved. I still couldn't run as fast or as hard. But it was my improvement that mattered. I had proven that I could do it...to myself - because that's what matters :)
  • MrsJennaKwasniewski
    MrsJennaKwasniewski Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I just don't care....I pay my membership not them and I am not going to let pretty/fit people get in my way of my goals. Sometimes I am the heaviest girl there and sometimes I'm not. Either way that doesn't interest me and I just focus on what I have to do and not on what other people are doing. 9 out of 10 times everyone else is in their zone too so it is all in your head anyways!
  • kayleedylmom
    Options
    i feel the same way being a big girl at the gym. I was actually laughed at by two other females about a week ago that was in the gym at the same time. They were laughing while I was doing my squats. My husband became upset I told him dont worry about it. I was fine. For the simple fact one did not last five minutes of the treadmill and the other did not last five minutes on the epiletical. They were wearing corsets. I was just smh I was like they taking pics and posing like they are working out and they are wearing a corset while attempting to workout I was waiting for them to passout and hit the floor I was going to step right over them and walk to the weights.

Just keep going. We all must start somewhere. At least you are not on the couch not trying to make a change.
  • marian4marian
    marian4marian Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    i've taught myself that it's none of my business what other people think of me. we can't change others. we can only change ourselves. even if you have to repeat over and over while you are at the gym "this is for me..i am worth it" and positive messages like that, whatever it takes...to focus on ourselves and our experience.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if you are the only person who has noticed this.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I can appreciate what you're saying - but as a regular gym goer I have to say that I'm not even paying attention to the size of others or what they are doing and I'm sure I speak for 99% of others also. Just go in there and do your thing....that's what everyone else is doing. Stop being concerned with what others may (or may NOT) be thinking and try to give others the benefit of the doubt. Even if I did happen to notice someone was overweight at the gym....my thoughts would positive ones and not negative. You're there right?

Good luck to you.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Not good enough. There is this huge guy at the gym who is always on the treadmill and the elliptical and he keeps coming back. He keeps workign it and sweating up his shirt. One day I won't see him because he will be the thin guy next to me that I never noticed.

Unless you are able to go for long walks on your own, and exercise at home, the gym is your only recourse. Go, put on your headphones, put your kindle on the treadmill and read and walk and listen to some music.

Git 'er done, girl!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Gyms are for people who don't need gyms, in my experience.

(WHAT! What does that even mean? Nonsense)

"GOD that woman is skinny! How can she even function?"

(I gotta say, I've seen three different chicks who looked like beanpoles on the cardio machines and thought the same thing - Shudders)
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't stay home because of your size - only if home is what you prefer. I'm not sure which gym you go to but I have been a member of different gyms over the years and bra tops are a rarity with maybe less than 10 percent of women every wearing the skimpy bra top/boy short combo. The 'go to' outfit for most women seems to be yoga pants and a tank top. I'm not sure what choice you have in gyms but I go to Good Life and it really lives up to its slogan "good for every body". I see every size and age at my local. That said, there is another gym close by that I think I would find intimidating (and unaffordable - for the rich and beautiful set!). I suggest you look around and find what works for you. The best gyms create an atmosphere where everyone is welcome and you just have to bring your can do attitude. Also the women you envy and think might be judging you, have probably walked in your shoes at one point and worked hard for their hot body. These are the women that make the best mentors.