to all the real runners

Options

Replies

• running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    why would you even CONSIDER running ONLY on a treadmill?

that's dumb.

Omg are you passionate about anything else in life? Relax Bytch.

YES YES YES. Here's a list.

* white wine
    * sunny days
    * rainy afternoons
    * good film adaptations
    * cross fit
    * eating colorful salads and then stuffing my face with chocolate
    * hiking on top of a really high mountain in Vietnam and then screaming at the top off my lungs
    * riding elephants is pretty dope too, although more uncomfortable than one might think
    * THE OCEAN! I'm super passionate about the ocean.
    * coffee. because, I can't, without.
    * music
    * collecting medals from my races and putting them on the wall to flaunt my awesomeness, bytch
    * writing
    * anyone who is still reading this list must be super bored, kinda like me
    * RUNNING. I am very passionate about running. It kinda is my life. Can't help it.

Thanks for taking an interest in my life :flowerforyou:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    i've only read the OP, not the rest of the posts, so i hope someone else has said this, but boy is that ****ing arrogant as all hell. I rotate outside running with treadmill running as it's easier on my knees and hips. you come off as an absolute *kitten* calling everyone who runs on the treadmill not a real runner.

bad form, man.
    Maybe you should read the whole thread then.

You come off as an absolute *kitten* for not reading his comment/question properly.

rcPT1tL.gif

Take it down a notch there.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Ah, but Captain, you didn't directly say it. You implied it. Sometimes it really does just come down to semantics. You started a thread called, "to all the real runners," which automatically holds the implication that some runners are NOT "real" runners, which is why some people made the logical assumption that you felt there was, in fact, a distinction. Not to mention, it clearly had some folks immediately on the defensive. Because I'm clearly some kind of masochist, I enjoy a good verbal repartee, so this didn't really bother me, but I do feel obligated to point it out to the crowd. Sometimes what you don't say speaks just as loudly as what you do.

so you're telling me what you think i meant? or are you telling me what you think other people think i meant?
  • runfastmom
    runfastmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Okay, I am not a treadmill runner. However, to say if your run on a treadmill makes you less of a runner is silly. Running is running. Google Sheri Piers. She did almost all of her marathon training on the treadmill. Oh, she also runs a 2:38 marathon. and one of the top American runners in the Boston Marathon a couple years back. Thats pretty real!
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    why would you even CONSIDER running ONLY on a treadmill?

that's dumb.

Omg are you passionate about anything else in life? Relax Bytch.

YES YES YES. Here's a list.

* white wine
    * sunny days
    * rainy afternoons
    * good film adaptations
    * cross fit
    * eating colorful salads and then stuffing my face with chocolate
    * hiking on top of a really high mountain in Vietnam and then screaming at the top off my lungs
    * riding elephants is pretty dope too, although more uncomfortable than one might think
    * THE OCEAN! I'm super passionate about the ocean.
    * coffee. because, I can't, without.
    * music
    * collecting medals from my races and putting them on the wall to flaunt my awesomeness, bytch
    * writing
    * anyone who is still reading this list must be super bored, kinda like me
    * RUNNING. I am very passionate about running. It kinda is my life. Can't help it.

Thanks for taking an interest in my life :flowerforyou:

You care about my opinion of you, saweeet! Thanks for the list TL:DR.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I read all four pages and didn't notice if anyone mentioned this, but maybe someone like me would be uncomfortable running outside due to their size and low fitness level? I mean, when you think of a runner, you imagine someone lean and toned and really graceful as they move.

I've heard plenty of horror stories of people, who are not small, just starting out, getting hateful looks from others, nasty comments being tossed their way, and even having garbage chucked at them while they try to run.
    You clearly haven't found your way to the C25K group :) Welcome! And this is a pretty fab read:
    http://flintland.blogspot.fi/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
    Thank you. I'll check this out. :)
  • running4thehigh
    running4thehigh Posts: 144 Member
    Options

You care about my opinion of you, saweeet! Thanks for the list TL:DR.

You're welcome! Can I get a list too?!?!
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    They are both runners. They're running. They're just different kind of runners. Fitness runner. Recreational runner. Jogger. Marathoner. Triathlete. Different, yet all runners. I feel no superiority to those who run inside all the time. Hell, maybe they're smarter. I get bit by dogs, run into ditches, cat called, and injured WAY more frequently. Of course, I can't seem to run a straight line on a treadmill, and I get bored to death. Even a mile on a treadmill and I'm ready to quit. In conclusion, I am rambling. Just be glad people are moving! We're all moving faster than those on the couch. I like the support I typically see in the running community for any kind of runner. It's great!

first off, i'm a triathlete, and i specifically tell people i'm not a runner. or a cyclist. or a swimmer.

Well , certainly then, my pardon. I might say you are all three of those things, but if that's what you prefer, then that's what you are I suppose. This whole thread has simply left me confused. I was unaware such hierarchy existed. Who is most badass? The triathlete? The marathoner? The iron man? I say yes.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I think of runners as a group of inclusive, supportive people who do something they enjoy at every fitness level and persevering to better themselves. I get both feet off the ground while I sweat my butt off running my 12 minute mile on a treadmill. I am a runner. Quit being a douche bag.

i don't like being called names, especially when i haven't said anything where i specifically judge people. i've asked if other runners, specifically runners that use the treadmill minimally, judge others that mostly use a treadmill.

You may not have specifically called anyone names but you implied that anybody who runs on a treadmill is somehow beneath you. You've judged them and what they do because you feel like it's less worthy than what you do for some reason.
    If you look up "runner" in the dictionary it's definitions is "One who runs".
    Lighten up and stop judging, BTW I don't run on a treadmill or on the road...
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Who gives a ****, just run.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    They are both runners. They're running. They're just different kind of runners. Fitness runner. Recreational runner. Jogger. Marathoner. Triathlete. Different, yet all runners. I feel no superiority to those who run inside all the time. Hell, maybe they're smarter. I get bit by dogs, run into ditches, cat called, and injured WAY more frequently. Of course, I can't seem to run a straight line on a treadmill, and I get bored to death. Even a mile on a treadmill and I'm ready to quit. In conclusion, I am rambling. Just be glad people are moving! We're all moving faster than those on the couch. I like the support I typically see in the running community for any kind of runner. It's great!

first off, i'm a triathlete, and i specifically tell people i'm not a runner. or a cyclist. or a swimmer.

Well , certainly then, my pardon. I might say you are all three of those things, but if that's what you prefer, then that's what you are I suppose. This whole thread has simply left me confused. I was unaware such hierarchy existed. Who is most badass? The triathlete? The marathoner? The iron man? I say yes.

there is a hierarchy, even amongst the distance athletes. many iron man triathletes say you're not a real iron man until you do Kona.

in the book "born to run" one runner interviewed is dismissive about the marathon, saying that you can barely warm up properly in the race.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    I think of runners as a group of inclusive, supportive people who do something they enjoy at every fitness level and persevering to better themselves. I get both feet off the ground while I sweat my butt off running my 12 minute mile on a treadmill. I am a runner. Quit being a douche bag.

i don't like being called names, especially when i haven't said anything where i specifically judge people. i've asked if other runners, specifically runners that use the treadmill minimally, judge others that mostly use a treadmill.

You may not have specifically called anyone names but you implied that anybody who runs on a treadmill is somehow beneath you. You've judged them and what they do because you feel like it's less worthy than what you do for some reason.
    If you look up "runner" in the dictionary it's definitions is "One who runs".
    Lighten up and stop judging, BTW I don't run on a treadmill or on the road...

i haven't implied anything. i'll admit the title was written that way to get some people in the thread, but "hey i have a question" is a little vague and has been over done, and "do people that run outside judge those that run inside" would've been long winded, and as a writer i have an issue with my title also being my subject.
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options

This!
  • rumezzo
    rumezzo Posts: 42 Member
    Options

there is a hierarchy, even amongst the distance athletes. many iron man triathletes say you're not a real iron man until you do Kona.

in the book "born to run" one runner interviewed is dismissive about the marathon, saying that you can barely warm up properly in the race.

Well you learn something new everyday, yes? :) You know who I think may be the most badass of all? People with running strollers. Man those things are a *****. Hate. them. I was so so glad when my son got too big and I was able to run loops with him along on his bike. And the double ones? I bow down to those folks. Seriously.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

This sums it up quite nicely.

I lift consistently and I run consistently. I am a lifter and a runner. In the winter I train on the treadmill in the spring/summer/fall I train outside. I am doing half marathon training but not signed up for a half.

I feel like consistency is perhaps a differentiator. Not sure though.....still giving this some thought.

Interesting thread though....
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Well you learn something new everyday, yes? :) You know who I think may be the most badass of all? People with running strollers. Man those things are a *****. Hate. them. I was so so glad when my son got too big and I was able to run loops with him along on his bike. And the double ones? I bow down to those folks. Seriously.

A friend of mine, RunnerElizabeth, runs half marathons with a stroller. She's kind of a badarse.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I guess I was wrong about myself.
    My bad.
    I have 3 kids and they are terribly heavy when I try to run outside with them strapped to my back. Somedays in the summer time it gets to 115, I have only heard that it can be dangerous out there.
    So I run on the treadmill.
    I ran a couple races, but I guess that doesn't count either.
    I toss in my earbuds, crank up the treadmill, go to my happy place while my kids play their games.

*not a runner*
    but think you have made it clear that I don't want to be one if *they* look down on treadmill people as lower than them.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    do you ever find yourself in a conversation with someone who says they run, only to find out that it's only on the treadmill? do you immediately dismiss them as not being a real runner?

i'm not talking about jumping on the treadmill when the weather is too extreme to run outside, or for a warm up to cross/strength train. i mean the people that drive to the gym or go to their basement/garage/spare bedroom to only run on a treadmill 365 days a year.

No, but I'm not pompous.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    I guess I was wrong about myself.
    My bad.
    I have 3 kids and they are terribly heavy when I try to run outside with them strapped to my back. Somedays in the summer time it gets to 115, I have only heard that it can be dangerous out there.
    So I run on the treadmill.
    I ran a couple races, but I guess that doesn't count either.
    I toss in my earbuds, crank up the treadmill, go to my happy place while my kids play their games.

*not a runner*
    but think you have made it clear that I don't want to be one if *they* look down on treadmill people as lower than them.

Agreed.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

This ^^

I have a lot of respect for people who run on the treadmill, it's tough. When I'm on a trail, I am 3 miles in and the only way for me to get out is by running. Well, I guess I could walk, but that would take FOREVER, it's already slow enough when I run it. When running on the treadmill you can hop off and leave at any time. Easy peasy. It takes a lot of determination to stay on that thing.