Maintaining, and pie.

Options

Replies

• coboltpunch
    coboltpunch Posts: 15
    Options
    If I got to my target weight, yeah I'd splurge a little. Then I'd set new goals and work hard at getting there.
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My problem is that a lot of desserts taste even better when they're frozen, straight from the freezer. Pies, cakes, muffins - put individual portions in the freezer and they still call to me ...!
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I could tell it was a binge after the First slice, when I ate it quickly, the way it made me feel (eurphoric) and how after finishing that piece I just wanted to keep eating it.

In my head I thought, throw it out NOW, before it gets ugly. But then my husband hadn't come home home yet, so he didn't get any.... Ugh.

Then I thought, one more piece, that will scratch the itch and I'll be done with this pie forever. I'll even add ice cream to fill that craving. Then that slice tasted better than the first....

Before I know it I'm standing with the fridge door open, justifying it to myself while forkfuls of lukewarm pie go into my mouth. A forkful is less than a whole piece. I'm just evening out the sides. Maybe if I don't eat all this crust, just the filling.... Etc.... Chomp chomp chomp.

I know a binge at first bite, unfortunately.

When I was5'5 and 175-180lbs I did that every night, binging on leftover dinner,and ice cream straight from the carton. Gross but true.

At 5'5 134 Lbs I thought I was cured of this, but apparently not.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    I hope someone is getting SOMETHING outta me being so honest.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    If i'm going to eat something out of the ordinary i'm going all out. And i refuse to feel guilty about it. Even when "all out" turns into a 2 patty burger, potato salad and 2 bowls of ice cream sundae. Mmmmm. I'm just choosing to eat differently than usual...i'm not doing anything wrong, so why feel guilty?
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    Aren't you scared you are going to gain it all back?
  • buttercrud
    buttercrud Posts: 20
    Options
    Definitely freeze! It's homemade, for crying out loud!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Freeze it in individual portions...

That's what I do with cakes and cookies! :drinker:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Tonight I ate 3 pieces of pizza, a side caesar's salad, a chocolate martini and three bites of delicious lemon/blueberry cake. I also took a LONG walk after and hiked before. I don't feel the least bit guilty.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Aren't you scared you are going to gain it all back?
    Who me? I've never known 2 burgers, potato salad and 2 sundaes to equal 584,500 calories....thats what it would take for me to "gain it all back". Besides, one higher calorie day when i'm usually at a hefty deficit probably helps more than hurts.
  • melimomTARDIS
    Options
    I guess I'm really afraid it's gonna all come back, it took a year to lose, and in my mind, overnight to regain.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    No guilt. But I bet you would have enjoyed it as much and felt better with just one piece. That's my biggest lesson - less can be more.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    So, I just ate two INCREDIBLE slices of triple berry pie in a double crust. I dont think I could eat another piece.

I started to feel guilty for this binge, but I am at my goal weight, and under maintaining calories... So, I uh, shouldn't feel guilty? It tasted so good, but I feel like I cheated, somehow.

(Vaguely guilty)
    Its not really a binge. Its a treat. You don't eat like that daily, so I wouldn't sweat it, especially if you are under eating maintenance calories.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm really afraid it's gonna all come back, it took a year to lose, and in my mind, overnight to regain.

I totally get this!!! After MANY years of losing and regaining, I find it hard to trust. But I'm continuing what has gotten me here. I stopped eating a few things temporarily until I could learn to control myself. Eventually I added things back in that were problematic. I know my binge foods and don't start with them (or even have them in the house.)

I LOVE PIE!!! After I had lost my first 50 lbs. I baked my favorite homemade cherry pie. No one else in my family likes it. I ate it over 8 days - 1 piece a day. I allowed for it in my calories, and made sure to have a little extra exercise for those 8 days. It was TOTALLY worth it. I am currently maintaining a 95 lb loss that took about a year and a half. And I will NOT give up pie. White bread, yes - pie, never!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I hear you. I have done a ton of yoyo-ing in my life, most of it within a 20-lb range and I'm now about 7 lbs below the bottom of that range. I'm theoretically a few lbs from goal weight but will probably just lose 2 more and then shift to maintenance. I'm like you at times in that once i get started on something like a pie or other amazing goodie, it can be hard to stop. Then I worry I'm going to regain it all and start yoyoing again. Learning how to splurge at times without giving into the "all-or-nothing" thinking can be tough.
  • GrobbleRobble
    Options
    such a weakness of mine too, i had chocolate pie, why did i visit little chef
  • flatstomach67
    Options
    Not sure it helps and MyFitnessPal really helps me understand that why I exercise and why I watch my calories is exactly because I love food. LOVE IT! Today, I burned an estimated 700 calories on a bike ride. When I went out for Memorial Day with friends, I justified the mini veggie pizza and the microbrew because of my workout. As of now? I'm still under my calorie goal. Best wishes on your journey. It's OK to eat and sometimes eat food that by itself isn't necessarily good for us. Add into this a long-term commitment, smart and healthy exercise, and the majority of your food choices as reasonably balanced and you'll be fine.

Lastly, one day doesn't a week make. While I agree that keeping under your daily calorie goal is good, remember that ultimately, it's the net calories that you consume in a week, more or less. There are a few days that I go over my net calories, even with a workout. But, the majority of my days, I'm under my calorie limit and I'm still losing what is, from my perspective, a healthy .5 to 2.5 lbs. per week.

Good luck!
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I hope someone is getting SOMETHING outta me being so honest.

I did. :flowerforyou:

I am about 15 pounds away from goal, and I have an occasional binge (not planned of course) where I eat 1000 - 2000 over goal. Thankfully, those days are far and few between. But the guilt I feel after a bad day like that SUCKS.

I tend to eat close to my caloric goal most days, but splurge a little on the weekends (maybe 200-300 over goal). So far it has not hindered my progress as long as I get back on track the next day. I think if you are under your maintenance goal, then go ahead and have a slice (or two) of pie. If it's not a daily thing, and you are within your caloric goal, then it's totally fine. No guilt necessary. Eat it and enjoy it!
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to pretend you didn't mention possibly throwing away a homemade pie...:grumble:

Next time have a plan for sharing with friends or freezing part before you take your first bite. I have the same issue with sweets though I have gotten much better about eating in moderation.

Also if I go over calories for the day, I just make sure I'm under overall for the week. One day definitely won't make or break a diet, it's the habits over time that add on pounds.

I had a piece of rhubarb cream pie today, and will come in under my calories. :drinker:

I'm so with this! PIE....I just drank cream soda and ate ice cream with sauce to top my cheese burger and tater tots so don't sweat it. I'm sure not. Pie....
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Ha, can't just throw out a homemade triple berry pie. You have to squeeze dish soap on it so you don't try to pick it outta the trash like a vagrant.

The thought of someone throwing away, or squeezing dish soap on a homemade pie actually makes me want to weep.

Why did you think 'skinny you' wouldn't want to eat the same things 'fat you' wanted to eat? Did you think the fat was in your tastebuds?