Bread ... What is a healthier substitute?

Options

Replies

• rivaflush
    rivaflush Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I noticed that you were looking for good alternatives? I have found that for lunch if i have a campbells soup and some salad that is very filling. I have 1 can of campbells every 2 days (i split it) and salad to fill out the lunch, and then i will usually have one piece of ww bread wtih cream cheese.

I like this because the main part of my meal isn't bread centric (like sandwiches are) and i get to have a little bit of bread to dip in my soup.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Healthy sub for bread?

less bread.

That being said- I often use lettuce to for my tuna wraps- I have no druthers either way- I don't really care for toritlla's strongly enough to feel disenchanted over it.

But real bread? garlic bread?
    or even trashy butter filled delicious texas toast

no substitutes will do.
  • celiamarie55
    Options
    there are a lot of options out there that are gluten free, this also goes for pasta, I use to eat all kinds of bread and pasta and. I had to change my lifestyle when it came to food, that included no more fast food( the bread). You will have to find what you like and It can get a little pricey but, it was worth it, Amazing how much weight I lost not even trying just cutting out bread and pasta.
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Besides the cutting down on how much bread you eat, also get better bread.

What American's think bread is: Cheap-white-bread-006.jpg

What actual bread is: German-Bread1.jpg

One slice of real bread fills you up, toast does not. Also, there are breads that use whole grains *omnomnom*. However, stay away from pumpernickel and sunflower bread. Those are super high in calories. :)
  • WndrGrl
    WndrGrl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are just using bread as a vehicle for a sandwich (as in it isn't the main event like garlic bread) you might try using English muffins. It will save you some calories and carbs. Varieties with extra fiber are available, too, to help fill you up.
  • phoebejeeby
    phoebejeeby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I assume you are eating a lot of sandwiches for lunches and such. A good way around this putting everything you would put on your sandwich minus the bread in a container. So your meat, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, onions, cottage cheese and dressing...whatever you want. (be sure to watch what kind of dressing you are using. Balsamic and other vinegar based dressings are best) Make sure you have an adequate amount of protein to ensure you feel full. I also add beans to add some carbs with fiber. For breakfast, if you are eating a lot of toast, switch to an omelette with mushrooms, tomatoes or whatever other veggies you like. When you do eat bread, aim for a 100% whole wheat bread, so you are getting all the fiber. I try and think of my meals as mainly meat and vegetables and then I fill it in with the other extras. So i eat a lot of egg based breakfasts, "salad" based lunches and stir fry type dinners. I found i was eating too many carbs and not enough protein. I focused on getting more protein and in the process had to cut out some of the carbs to reach my calorie goal.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Besides the cutting down on how much bread you eat, also get better bread.

What American's think bread is: Cheap-white-bread-006.jpg

What actual bread is: German-Bread1.jpg

One slice of real bread fills you up, toast does not. Also, there are breads that use whole grains *omnomnom*. However, stay away from pumpernickel and sunflower bread. Those are super high in calories. :)

I have to say that this is kinda true. My step-father is from Australia and he complains all the time about our bread here in the Americas. He says its not real bread. A thicker, heartier and whole grain bread will keep you full longer and it probably taste pretty damn good.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    My lunches are normally salads. Super easy to chop up some lettuce or spinach and top it with chicken salad, tuna salad, grilled chicken, or deli cold cuts. You can also always pack your leftovers from dinner the previous night. Far less thinking involved.

If you're looking for something lower calorie than bread, you can do lettuce wraps but they won't taste the same, of course. I like to use tortillas, as the ones I get are normally 70 calories a piece, and it gives me more available calories for the important things. Like cheese!

But honestly, there's no adequate substitution. Everything pales in comparison.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I actually switched to a higher calorie bread, because it was more nutritious. And also more delicious.

Because of the higher calorie content I just use one slice instead of two for toast.

I don't usually eat sandwiches, I bring leftovers, or make a salad or bring a meat, veggie and grain meal.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know of a good substitute or replacement: or in fact lunch time idead that doesnt involve bread? Lol thanks x

For sandwiches I like high fiber wraps instead of bread. I buy Flat Out brand, but there are several brands out there that are high fiber and around 100 calories. I like them for the high fiber, and because I can add a generous handful of leafy greens to my sandwiches thus upping my vegetable intake.

For none-bread lunches, I like leftovers. Today I have leftover steak and veggie stir fry with a little brown rice..
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Whole grain bread is actually very healthy so a healthy substitute doesn't really make sense.

There are lower calorie options certainly, like crispbread (makes a nice crunchy snack actually). But low calorie and healthy are two different things.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    One slice of real bread fills you up, toast does not.

?? Why would toasting bread make it less filling? :huh:
  • gemmamummy
    gemmamummy Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have this bread called Burgen, its soya and linseed bread, less carby and a little higher in protein than normal bread, it tastes nice, but its a little bit more pricey than normal bread. I love bread!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    No substitute, bread is yummy and filling.

I had french bread as part of my lunch yesterday and for my breakfast this morning. I weighted out each piece using a kitchen scale that I leave at work.

Bread eating advice-
    1. Weight it like you would any other food, don't just assume
    2. Avoid adding things like butter or cream cheese
    3. If you do add butter or cream cheese, make sure you measure it appropriately
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Bread is bread...
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options

Because the little elves in the toaster eat half of it while they're making it nice and golden for you...

I imagine they were referring to the candyfloss consistency product which passes itself off as sandwich bread in the US.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Because the little elves in the toaster eat half of it while they're making it nice and golden for you...

I imagine they were referring to the candyfloss consistency product which passes itself off as sandwich bread in the US.

Oh, weird. It's not like whole grain breads aren't available in the US too. Or that people don't eat it toasted.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Without saying "healthier" I do like to use the sandwich thins to keep calories lower for lunch or use Kashi crackers instead of bread for things like chicken salad. I also like Nut Thin crackers. These items can be lower cal than regular breads (or you can use things like Sara Lee's 45 calorie wheat slices) plus I just like adding some crunch to chicken salad and I prefer the thins for sandwich. I'm not a big bread eater already, though.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower?
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower...