Bread ... What is a healthier substitute?

Options

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute. Lettuce isn't a substitute for anything - it's lettuce. Same goes for the cauliflower and squash that people are constantly trying to manipulate to "replace" certain "evil" foods like carbs. Just eat the damn bread as long as it fits your macros.

What is wrong with the OP wanting to eat less bread? Geez, she has a right to eat what she wants, or doesn't want.

What do we want?

Bread rights!

When do we want it?

Now!

What do we want?

Time travel!

When do we want it?

It doesn't matter!

:laugh:
  • vixen0babs
    vixen0babs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bread is not bad for you (in moderation!)
    Choose high quality breads made of whole grains.
    Opt for a lower carb/higher protein bread if you can (and the higher the fiber, the better...I'm not a believer in this gluten free trend, unless one is a true celiac)

I really like Arnold/Brownberry (especially the double protein, oatnut, and nutty almond) and I limit myself to two slices a day.

Other bread alternatives...
    Leaf Lettuce
    High Protein/Low Carb tortillas
    High Protein/Low Carb pita bread
    Cucumbers (think tuna or chicken salad served between cuc's - yum!)
    Other firm vegetables (bell peppers, radishes, celery)
  • AlwaysBigSteve
    AlwaysBigSteve Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    SMH, someone seriously just said "try gluten free bread". I agree with most here, bread is a normal part of the diet. Stop eating bread from the bread aisle and go for the whole grain breads or even the french and italians in the actual bakery department. I do feel there is a time and place for everything though and lettuce is a reasonable option if you need some protein but don't have the calories or carbs for the bread.

You will notice that all food pyramids have a base of grains and breads. It works for the healthy people, it can work for us.
  • tink11464
    tink11464 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I buy Nature's Harvest Multi Grain bread - 40 calories a slice (for 2 slices it will be 80 calories and 9 net carbs). And the best part is it tastes good!!! :)
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Just eat the bread!!!! Goood gracious!!!......and we wonder why people have eating disorders!!!
  • Citrislazer
    Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    If you feel like the hybridized wheat in today's breads isn't doing you any good, you could try switching to Einkorn bread. It's the wheat that use to be in everyone's diet. It's lower in gluten, higher in protein and is more nutritious than today's commercial wheat.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    There is no substitute. Lettuce isn't a substitute for anything - it's lettuce. Same goes for the cauliflower and squash that people are constantly trying to manipulate to "replace" certain "evil" foods like carbs. Just eat the damn bread as long as it fits your macros.

What is wrong with the OP wanting to eat less bread? Geez, she has a right to eat what she wants, or doesn't want.

She clearly wants bread - otherwise, why would she be asking for a substitute. If you WANT to eat less bread, you simply eat less bread. There's no need to replace it with anything.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Please stop with the silliness, that is not an adequate substitute

Wait. Why is it silly for you? He is eating it and it's going in his body.
    Apparently its working for him and it seems he is enjoying.

Please explain how is it silly for you.

A lot of people who are afraid of vegetables like to claim that "moderation" means eating tiny portions of the "good" stuff and apparently nothing else, no matter how hungry you are. Heaven forbid someone use a lettuce leaf or add vegetables to a stir-fry or pasta.

I'm huge on moderation and "making it fit", I just can't understand why "making it fit" doesn't ever incluce swapping in an egg white or a vegetable. Someone already went off on cauliflower.

So, so, so many times this. Every time I see one of these threads and I see all the "ew!! never substitute XYZ!! it will never be as good!!" responses, I see red.

Sometimes, I plan out my day, and I say to myself "self, with this plan, you're over your calories by 200 and your carbs by about 40. we need to cut something out. what shall we do?" Obvious answer is obvious: remove the bread from my lunchtime sandwich (or re-tool my lunch entirely) and replace it with something else.

Creating MODERATION means that sometimes you cut things out and sometimes you don't, and yet so many people seem to gloss over the first part of that statement. Yes, bread is magical and delicious. No, lettuce is rarely better than bread. But if I ate exactly what I wanted 100% of the time then my weight would still be on the way up rather than the way down. Moderation means continuing to eat some things that you love and, in order to make that happen, removing some of the things you love (not forever, no, but here and there - balance it out). Maybe today I don't have bread with my sandwich so I can have ice cream for dessert. Maybe tomorrow I have that bread, and I skip dessert that day. Asking for ideas for a different way to eat a sandwich that doesn't involve bread is totally reasonable, as long as the person isn't intending to NEVER EVER eat bread again.

With that said, my idea is to take all your sandwich insides and chop them into a salad instead :happy: .

??

No one's saying you get to eat exactly what you want all of the time. And moderation says you don't have to remove any of the things you love to eat (you can if you want). But you don't necessarily get to eat as much of it as you would like.

The point those of us who think this way are trying to make is don't make a sub-standard meal with some substitution that ruins the 'essence' of the meal. Doing that won't satisfy your taste for the meal you wanted anyway - so why do it? Just eat something else that is good and tasty, or eat less of the real thing.

Obviously, if making a substitution doesn't ruin your enjoyment of the food, make all the substitutions you want.
  • marissavicario
    marissavicario Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here are some substitutes for bread:

Cabbage or collard green leaf used as a wrap
    Ezekiel makes sprouted grain or sprouted corn wraps

You can make a deconstructed sandwich salad and include whatever ingredients you would have put in your sandwich in the salad. If you want to include whole grains, add some quinoa.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I'm in the why get rid of bread group. Eat less bread, some days have salad or soup and salad, have dinner leftovers, but eat some bread just buy and use good bread as pointed out. (sadly good bread has a much shorter shelf life than the white bread stuff - so keep some out and freeze the rest in usable portions so it's always f4resh when you use it (bread freezes very well)
    Grains are part of a healthy diet and bread is a great source of healthy grains. the only reason to avoid bread is you are one of the 1-1.5% of people who truly suffer gluten allergies (as opposed to the approximately 20% who claim to lately based on my work experience - i'm sure most of them don't even know what Gluten is)
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Here are some substitutes for bread:

Cabbage or collard green leaf used as a wrap
    Ezekiel makes sprouted grain or sprouted corn wraps

You can make a deconstructed sandwich salad and include whatever ingredients you would have put in your sandwich in the salad. If you want to include whole grains, add some quinoa.

No. No... What is a sugar substitute? Something that has similarities to sugar no? Like....sweetness? A substitute for bread would NOT be plants. Nope.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

She clearly wants bread - otherwise, why would she be asking for a substitute. If you WANT to eat less bread, you simply eat less bread. There's no need to replace it with anything.

Based on the OP, she both WANTS to eat less bread, and WANTS to substitute something in it's place. There's nothing at all wrong with that.
  • B32Roden
    B32Roden Posts: 11
    Options
    Lettuce, wholewheat tortillas, pita, gluten free / rice bread.

Instead of toast, have fruit salad and yogurt.

Instead of sandwiches, have salads or lettuce wraps or soup.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I wrap my normal sandwich stuff in a big lettuce leaf. Works for tacos, burgers, sandwiches, etc.

Uh, yeah it is. More and more people are eliminating bread from their diet and using lettuce as a substitute for sandwiches, wraps, and burgers.

OP: If you don't want to eliminate bread entirely, buy sandwich thins or Sara Lee 45 calorie per slice bread.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If by "healthier" you mean lower calorie, I've found two brands that are low-cal and pretty good: D'Italiano and Village Hearth both make 40 calorie per slice loaves. (Village Hearth also has hot dog and hamburger buns at 80 calories each.) D'Italiano is really lightweight though, so with lots of lettuce on my sandwich as I like it, the bread doesn't hold up well. Village Hearth makes a multigrain, wheat and Italian. They're all good, but Italian may be my favorite--and they all hold up better to lettuce.

Otherwise, just remove the bread and make a salad--lots of lettuce--with your sandwich fixings.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    Grind up cauliflower so it has the consistency of flour, add an egg and a little water to make a dough and bake it. Delicious!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just eat the bread!!!! Goood gracious!!!......and we wonder why people have eating disorders!!!

Oh good gracious! Wanting to cut back on bread = eating disorder?? No. Just no.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Uh, yeah it is. More and more people are eliminating bread from their diet and using lettuce as a substitute for sandwiches, wraps, burgers, etc.

Lettuce is a poor substitute for cauliflower
  • byahbee
    byahbee Posts: 19
    Options
    have you tried toasted crumpets? the ones i eat are 98 calories each (without butter/spreads) and 2 will keep me going for hours. they are really nice, i have them for lunch most days. :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

LOL, I guess I have an eating disorder because I don't eat bread :laugh: