NEWSFLASH: McDonald’s existed back when I was a kid

Options

Replies

• athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I think maybe you don't enjoy critically looking at problems. Which is fine, but McDonalds is part of the cheap fast food that is making people obese - it's unhealthy food that is cheap. They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap. Yes, McDonalds existed when you were a kid. People became more and more obese during your lifetime so far.

Your comments about the Occupy Wall Street movements are similar.

It's possible to lose weight, but there's no known cure for conservatism/libertarianism/whatever it is that stops you seeing things in context. As Stephen Colbert pointed out, "Reality has a well-known liberal bias."
    Fast food restaurants don't have a responsibility towards their customers, they are in it for the money. Why would they change a product that sells and sells well. We as consumers have to take the responsibility to make healthy choices for our bodies and earth. No one makes us eat cheap, fast food; we choose that and until we don't, McDonald's is just going to keep making it!

Depending on personal responsibility ends up with a lot of obese people in poverty.
  • kmg884
    kmg884 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree another major issue is lack of playing outside and being active. Kids are given so many things these days and dont have to work for it. Everything is handed to them. We were always outside, even in the winter when it was 10 degrees or less...because guess what. It was winter in Wisconsin and you better learn to live with it! We loved being outside and being active, biked everywhere (including a Dairy Queen that was 4 blocks away). We went to dairy queen and holiday gas station for snacks almost every day for a treat but we were so active it didn't make us fat, that unfortunately happened later in life! :) lol Basic idea, kids need to be more active and playing outside and very limited screen/electronic time! ...and learn to take responsibility for their actions :):)
  • jjplato
    jjplato Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap.

McDonald's has no more duty to "not feed them crap" than a bakery has a duty not to sell cupcakes, or a grocery store has to not sell candy bars. And McDonald's food doesn't make people fat -- overeating makes people fat. Someone can enjoy an occasional Big Mac and fries (if they like that stuff) and still be fit. I take my kids to McDonald's every once in a while for ice cream, and you know what I order? Nothing. And nobody in the restaurant tries to "feed me" anything. Health and fitness are about personal choices and personal responsibility.

Good for you!

I'm not saying people don't have a personal responsibility. I'm saying that if people go there, and take their children there, the food should be less processed and less calorie-laden. Have you actually researched into what is in their food?

No, the food should not be less processed and calorie-laden. If I go into a shop that sells cookies, the cookies don't need to smaller, or have fewer chocolate chips, or less sugar (even if I take my children in there!). I, as an individual, need to make a good choice about how many of them I'm going to eat, and how often. And if I have kids, it's up to me to make responsible choices about what they eat. If I go there three times a day and consume 1,500 calories of cookies each time, the cookie shop isn't responsible for the fact that I'm fat.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Why? I like McDonald's, I just don't eat it that often. Why is McDonald's any different than Starbucks, Land o' the Lakes, Oscar Mayer, In-n-Out, Jim Beam or Krispy Kreme? They all sell high calorie foods and I love them all.

It's UP TO ME WHAT I PUT IN MY MOUTH and I thank the gods we live in the Western world where I'm allowed the personal freedoms of making that decision.

McDonald's did not make me fat. I did.

Edit: I applaud the companies that post calorie information about their fast foods and I do believe that should be legislated, but just give me the information and let me make the choice.
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Could you enlighten me as to why you feel that McDonalds/Corporations bear more responsibility to me than I do for myself? Be specific.

... Well, for the first part of my specific answer, I'll have to ask you to review your reading comprehension skills. Specifically, how did you get the impression from what I said that I thought McDonalds should bear more responsibility for you than you yourself do?

What I said is that when restaurants serve food, however cheap it is, they bear some responsibility to their customers not to serve them crap. Yes, people can do nutritional research and learn to stay away from their cooked food and stick to salads. But you know what? Some kids don't know. And adults who are too busy to think their food is terrible for them, they may not know.

Not everybody has studied nutrition. People don't expect their food to be processed, calorie-laden crap, they just want lunch. McDonalds take advantage of people not knowing.

The calorie counts in every item are now displayed on the menu boards and at the drive thru. Unless people can't read (and then how in the heck do they know what to order), they are informed. They just don't care.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

McDonald's has no more duty to "not feed them crap" than a bakery has a duty not to sell cupcakes, or a grocery store has to not sell candy bars. And McDonald's food doesn't make people fat -- overeating makes people fat. Someone can enjoy an occasional Big Mac and fries (if they like that stuff) and still be fit. I take my kids to McDonald's every once in a while for ice cream, and you know what I order? Nothing. And nobody in the restaurant tries to "feed me" anything. Health and fitness are about personal choices and personal responsibility.

Good for you!

I'm not saying people don't have a personal responsibility. I'm saying that if people go there, and take their children there, the food should be less processed and less calorie-laden. Have you actually researched into what is in their food?

WTF are you talking about? There are less calorific options on the menu IF PEOPLE CHOOSE, and the food isn't any more "processed" than any other food. :huh: :noway:

... Do some research. People have made whole documentaries!

Oh noes whole documentaries???

panic.gif

You...I like you...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go get an Egg McMuffin and a Hash brown. You want anything?

Yeah bring me back a sausage Mcgriddle, tell them to make it extra processed please. :happy:
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    But if McD's customers didn't WANT that food they wouldn't serve it!
    The only reason they make burgers and fries like that is because CUSTOMERS WANT IT!

I think another big change in our lifestyle is partially to blame for the obesity epidemic - ELECTRONICS!

I'm 51 and when I grew up we didn't have Video Games, Home PC's, and the internet.
    We were TOLD TO GO OUTSIDE AND PLAY.

I didn't have a car till I was 18 or older, so I either WALKED or BICYCLED to go places.
    I got off my BUTT AND MOVED!

I live in a small community (subdivision) where the entrance is less than a mile from the furthest house and yet the parents all park their cars at the entrance to pick up there spoiled little brats from the Junior High and High school busses!
    Their poor kids can't be expected to walk a few hundred yards to their houses - and it's always the same cars doing it!

It is a learned behavior - so now the kids DEMAND to not walk anywhere!
    It's this lack of exercise and easily obtainable crappy food that is doing it - and NOBODY IS FORCING THEM TO EAT IT!

I'm 51 and FAT - and it is MY FAULT - because I at loads of Pizza, McDonalds, Wendy's, etc when I got out of the Air Force.
    And I do NOT blame McDonalds, Wendy's, and other fast food places I BLAME MYSELF!

Its time that Americans quit passing the buck and take the blame individually!!

Dave

I tip my hat to you sir.

My kids get McDonald's every couple weeks since as they love it so much. They also get pizza at their grandma's house and their pockets stuffed with chocolate from grandpa when he thinks I'm not looking. I don't care. Cheap fast food will not make my kids fat. I don't believe it made me fat. I believe it to be the massive amount of time I spent doing nothing as soon as I reached my teenage years. The electronic compulsion is something I can see in my kids and is the reason why the TV and video games are a weekend only activity. During the week, after homework, I kick 'em outside and don't let them in until dinner. By the time we get to the weekend, it is an afterthought, not something they live for anymore. I can't help but feel that there is this growing need to blame other people for one's problems. Just own it, and get over yourself. I applaud those folks that try and get control of their lives and their habits. I pity those that feel others have so much control of them that they are no longer responsible for their own decisions. Unless you can prove the Imperious Curse was used on you, you've got no excuse. Eat the McDonald's, be happy you saved some bucks and had something delicious, and then move on with your life.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options

I can still rattle off the Big Mac song: “Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame bun.”

Haha! I can still remember that song as well!

I also remember when the playground was just that a playground. There was a slide and ways to climb. There was some of the characters to ride on that YOU had to rock and back and forth to get them to move. Some of the "play" areas I see now are video arcades. (Though I do see some fast food places with giant slides)

I played outside growing up. Kids these days sit in front of TVs or video games way to much. They need to be more active!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you don't enjoy critically looking at problems.
    Et tu.

I would suggest labelling one food as 'unhealthy' and another not is in it's self unhealthy and promotes bad habits.
    Better would be to accept that a healthy lifestyle includes varied foods and an appropriate amount of calories.

I had a McDonalds the other day.
    I could have had some salad with lean meat instead.

I'd be willing to be the McDonalds was a better choice - I had actually been munching on a very large tupperware box of salad while on my journey - I suspect I already had PLENTY of all the nutrients and more wouldn't have added anything.
    I hadn't had very much fat or other variety - which WAS in the McDonalds.

McDonalds doesn't even have THAT many calories - IF you treat it as a 1000 calorie meal or whatever, rather than as a snack so you can have a large pub lunch.

Our lifestyles these days are a lot more sedentary on average, but there's still a lot of people working manual jobs (often low paid) for which cheap high calorie food is a good choice.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Every single fast food place has options, YOU and YOU alone are who decides what is going to go into your body or that of your children.

You can opt for fruit at some and at ALL a side salad instead of fries. And the experts out there have done healthy choices, so instead of the Big Mac Combo have a.... oh me - oh my... kids meal, yep they are the correct serving sizes and not much of any food if eaten within limits is bad for you.

They all also have a simple sandwich/burger/chicken that offers a serving size of meat and lettuce and tomato on it.

YOU decide! You decided to eat there and how often, you decided whether to workout or not. The one thing you cannot do is decide for another adult and you certainly cannot blame your choices on anyone else either.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    After almost spitting coffee all over my computer when reading comments by a 24 year old who actually cited a comedic satirist as a political statement and depending on "whole documentaries" my morning is almost complete. Now to change my breakfast plans a bit and get a McGriddle. Mayor McCheese and the Fry Guys (long gone, child targeting advertising tools of the corporation) are not holding a gun to my head and forcing this decision upon me.

Everything that I eat or drink is my choice ... not a corporation's. Their only responsibility is to their stockholders and consumers. If people want fast, processed foods they make it. If you don't like their policies then take your money someplace else.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Could you enlighten me as to why you feel that McDonalds/Corporations bear more responsibility to me than I do for myself? Be specific.

... Well, for the first part of my specific answer, I'll have to ask you to review your reading comprehension skills. Specifically, how did you get the impression from what I said that I thought McDonalds should bear more responsibility for you than you yourself do?

What I said is that when restaurants serve food, however cheap it is, they bear some responsibility to their customers not to serve them crap. Yes, people can do nutritional research and learn to stay away from their cooked food and stick to salads. But you know what? Some kids don't know. And adults who are too busy to think their food is terrible for them, they may not know.

Not everybody has studied nutrition. People don't expect their food to be processed, calorie-laden crap, they just want lunch. McDonalds take advantage of people not knowing.

Restaurants do not bear any responsibility beyond the duty to not feed you something that is a known poison, and to maintain a setting free of physical hazards. Because of recently enacted laws, however, some states require posting of nutritional information in the restaurants and on websites. McDonald's VOLUNTARILY complied with this in all jurisdictions, not just where it is required by law. The nutrition information is readily available in the restaurants and online for anyone who wants to take the extra 30 seconds it takes to read it. Besides, calorie counts are right there beside the menu items when you look up. What else should McDonald's do? Slap people on the wrist for ordering a Double Quarter Pounder and tell them they're getting a salad or a Grilled Chicken McWrap instead?

Every company out there is there to earn money. There's no taking advantage going on beyond providing a product that is in high demand. It isn't McDonald's responsibility to educate people in nutrition. Most people don't care if their food is "processed, calorie-laden crap."
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options

First of all, I've seen you say people here can't think critically. I've seen you attack others for their reading comprehension skills. And still every word you type comes off both dumber and more arrogant than the next.

People are not as dumb as you think they are. No one needs to study nutrition to know what they're getting at McDonalds. Hell they even started adding the calorie counts to the foods they serve, can't get that at a lot of restaurants.

So please, stop speaking for the unwashed masses, too dumb to know that eating 3 Big Macs isn't good for them. Stop insisting McDonalds raise it's prices because you feel they shouldn't be allowed to serve affordable meals. Stop assuming only you have the intelligence to know that McDonalds serves processed food and cheeseburgers do not in fact grow from trees.

Honestly? Just stop.

Brett, I've GOT to get you on my FL. Now why on earth would you want to go spreading common sense in here? tsk tsk :flowerforyou:
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    (sniff)
    I think I love you.

My parents hardly EVER took me to Mickey D's when I was a kid. We had a KFC down the road and we rarely went. Parents just need to learn to say no to their little cherub faced darlings when they beg for happy meals.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I lose weight eating at McD's occasionally, and reasonably.

But I make more informed food choices than most people do.

To say that McD's is solely at fault is just as wrong as saying consumers are solely at fault. Both are doing bad things. Believing otherwise is to inject your ideology/philosophy/worldview into it.

Because of the pressure they've received in recent years, they've done a good job of improving their act. They have, at a minimum, met the uninformed consumer halfway. The menu goes out of its way to point out calorie options and they've added better food choices (more chicken on the menu, for example). Apple slices come in the happy meal whether your kid likes it or not.

Maybe Super Size Me was a lot of exaggerated crap for the sake of selling a documentary, but it did have the advantage of putting McD's corporate and cultural influence front and center. And it worried them enough to get them to tweak their practices, which may help curb some of this obesity epidemic. It's all good, why complain about it. The changes probably helped the less informed among us and its not like they make any less money than before. Capitalism is preserved, the silly and stupid are helped.
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I think maybe you don't enjoy critically looking at problems. Which is fine, but McDonalds is part of the cheap fast food that is making people obese - it's unhealthy food that is cheap. They do have some duty towards their customers not to feed them crap. Yes, McDonalds existed when you were a kid. People became more and more obese during your lifetime so far.

I agree with this post.

OP, you are only seeing half of the problem. The other half is that low SES people live in low SES areas, where healthy food is difficult to access because the only sources of food in the area are fast food restaurants and corner stores, and even if the low SES people have a car (which is not likely) and can drive to a relatively distant grocery store, they don't know how to eat healthy and especially how to eat healthy on a budget.

I was raised in a very poor family, but my mother was raised by someone who knew how to eat healthy on a budget: canned/frozen vegetables, meat on sale, pasta/bread/rice is cheap and she always made sure our meals were balanced. No soda except as a treat, no fast food except once every few weeks as a treat, etc. Most low SES families don't have this knowledge and truly believe that fast food and cheap unhealthy food from corner stores is the best they can do or don't understand how to feed their kids (and themselves) proper nutrient balanced meals. I'm not saying it's all McDonald's fault, but it's certainly not solely an individual problem either.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Good for you!

You want McDonald's to make less processed and less calorie-laden food? Why not just stay away from McDonald's? If a parent feels strongly about this, then they shouldn't make McD's their choice of restaurant.

Taking personal responsibility means you make choices for your life that reflect your beliefs. It will never mean the world around you must conform to your ideals.

I agree with everything Gypsy said.

After my dad died when I was 9, my mom had to go to work and she went to work at McDonalds. For dinner most nights I ate McDonalds. We also had a constant ever lasting supply of Little Debbie's in the house. I was 10-11 years old and way overweight. But do you know why I was overweight??? I was overweight simply because I would not stop shoving food into my mouth to deal with the trauma from losing my dad. Now, do I blame McDonalds, Little Debbie, my mom for buying it, or my dad for dying. NOPE. It was ALL me. Some of you may say, "well you were 9-11, your mother should have limited your access". My own sister said that. Maybe there's a tiny bit of truth in it. However, I knew what I was doing. I knew I shouldn't keep eating. It wasn't until I wanted to lose weight that I stopped it. My mom didn't know how to heal my pain and she did take me to therapy which didn't help. I was old enough to know I shouldn't eat 10 Little Debbie's in a row after eating all the McDonalds. That doesn't make it Little Debbie's or McDonalds responsibility that I got fat. It was my own responsibility - yes even at that young age it was my responsibility.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go get an Egg McMuffin and a Hash brown. You want anything?

Yeah bring me back a sausage Mcgriddle, tell them to make it extra processed please. :happy:

Don't skimp on the toxins!