Is it true you should eat within 30 minutes of waking up?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

Carbs after 4pm? lol what happens at/after 4pm?

Whatever it is, I hope it involves me and you. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:devil:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :love: :love:
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't have an appetite for at least an hour or so after waking up. I enjoy my food, forcing myself to eat when I don't feel hungry would seem like a waste of calories.

This. Also, the earlier I eat, the more I WANT to eat, and often find that I've then used up almost all of my calories by mid afternoon. My sis-in-law and I just had a discussion about that very thing (she's doing Slim-Fast, more power to her.) I made the mistake of mentioning that I normally don't like to even start eating until closer to noon, and she freaked out on me. When I mentioned it also makes me more hungry, she triumphantly claimed that it was BECAUSE my metabolism got started. Which is fine, and the theory does make sense, but it is not one-size-fits-all and what I am currently doing appears to be working for me so I'm just going to keep on doing it and go back to my "zero discussion with family" policy regarding my eating.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    In my opinion eating in the morning has helped my weight loss and has also got rid of my chronic heatburn which I have had for over 10 years!!

Breakfast is called it for a reason Break fast you have been fast whilst asleep and you are breaking that fast.

Yes if you keep under your cals etc you will lose weight but there is a healthy way and an unhealthy way to do it.

I do get annoyed with alot of **** people post on here about you can eat crap as long as you keep under your cals etc I tend to listen to my doctor and PT who are qualified. Eat breakfast, lower carbs in the evening, try not to eat white carbs (it does spike your insulin levels) and drink lots of water.

The only time I have issues is when I don't follow these simple rules.
    ummm so what?

It is impossible to have high levels of insulin in your system while burning fat at the same time. If you eat a meal that has too high of a Glycemic Index, your blood sugar will spike, causing a large release in insulin. During this period of time your body cannot use fat for fuel (even if you are operating under a calorie deficit and even if you workout like crazy). You can get everything else right and not make good progress if you allow your insulin levels to get out of whack.
    http://evolvinghealth.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/is-it-time-to-stop-blaming-insulin-for-fat-storage/
    FTA:
    "Out to help repair insulin’s reputation is obesity researcher Stephan Guyenet, Ph.D., of the University of Washington, who studies regulation of body fat by the brain. He downplays insulin as a primary regulator of long-term fat storage calling it a misrepresentation and oversimplification of what the hormone’s role really is. “There has been a lot of confusion about the role of insulin in the regulation of fat tissue,” Guyenet comments.

“Insulin is a critical coordinator of dynamic fatty acid flux on a meal-to-meal basis,” Guyenet clarifies. Through coordination, insulin is the main hormone that, essentially, tells the body what to do with the food energy just eaten. For example, when carbohydrate or protein is eaten, insulin directs the body to burn the carbohydrate or protein instead of using fat. And when mostly fat is eaten, the lack of an insulin response directs the body to burn the fat just eaten.

“Either way, you burn what you eat, and when that runs out, you go back to burning stored fat,” according to Guyenet. “This process is easily misinterpreted because one of insulin’s main functions following a meal is to shut down fat release from fat cells while the body burns carbohydrate and protein.

From Guyenet’s explanation, it sounds more as if insulin’s role is really that of a traffic cop— signaling where nutrients should go (carbs, protein, and fat) just after meals.Overall, however, insulin does not promote fat accumulation in the long run. Keep in mind that insulin also promotes the transport of glucose and amino acid into muscle for synthesis of glycogen and proteins after meals.

At the end of the day, the total 24-hour ‘flux’ of fat in and out of fat cells does not appear to depend on these insulin spikes,” Guyenet comments.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I believe that there is some misconception that people are promoting a diet of garbage food, that is a big exageration.

It is an exaggeration. Whenever I see that statement, it never cross my mind that it was meant for me to eat all of my calories in UTZ Potato Chips. The notion that anyone would get or suggest someone get all of their calories from a source such as the above is more fantasy and imagination then logic. I am about as literal as they come but that is a bit much in my opinion.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter when you eat. I hardly ever eat breakfast. And it's only because I'm not hungry in the morning unless it's shark week.

And that's the point where I got scared, and yet oddly thought we would be great friends.
  • IHateThinkingOfAUsername
    Options
    As most people have said it really makes no difference when you eat. A deficit is a deficit.

For me, I do have breakfast within an hour of getting up. Personally I find it helps me to wake up and feel more normal. I doubt this has anything to do with the 'fuel' aspect. I suspect it's because I'm up, in the kitchen, moving around instead of just sitting and spacing out until it's time to get ready for work.
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100lbs and I don't eat until its around noon or 1pm. Doesn't mean a damn thing.
  • Cereal_Snacker
    Cereal_Snacker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I Love breakfast, but don't think it matters how soon after waking up you eat :-)
  • donjessop
    donjessop Posts: 186
    Options
    My weight loss is slow. I am only loosing 1 pound a week. Today somebody told me I should eat something within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning. Is this true?

Are you diabetic or pre-disposed to diabetes? If so, then the answer is "Yes". If not, then the answer is "Whatever works for you".
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    In my opinion eating in the morning has helped my weight loss and has also got rid of my chronic heatburn which I have had for over 10 years!!

Breakfast is called it for a reason Break fast you have been fast whilst asleep and you are breaking that fast.

Yes if you keep under your cals etc you will lose weight but there is a healthy way and an unhealthy way to do it.

I do get annoyed with alot of **** people post on here about you can eat crap as long as you keep under your cals etc I tend to listen to my doctor and PT who are qualified. Eat breakfast, lower carbs in the evening, try not to eat white carbs (it does spike your insulin levels) and drink lots of water.

The only time I have issues is when I don't follow these simple rules.
    ummm so what?

It is impossible to have high levels of insulin in your system while burning fat at the same time. If you eat a meal that has too high of a Glycemic Index, your blood sugar will spike, causing a large release in insulin. During this period of time your body cannot use fat for fuel (even if you are operating under a calorie deficit and even if you workout like crazy). You can get everything else right and not make good progress if you allow your insulin levels to get out of whack.
    http://evolvinghealth.wordpress.com/2013/05/22/is-it-time-to-stop-blaming-insulin-for-fat-storage/
    FTA:
    "Out to help repair insulin’s reputation is obesity researcher Stephan Guyenet, Ph.D., of the University of Washington, who studies regulation of body fat by the brain. He downplays insulin as a primary regulator of long-term fat storage calling it a misrepresentation and oversimplification of what the hormone’s role really is. “There has been a lot of confusion about the role of insulin in the regulation of fat tissue,” Guyenet comments.

“Insulin is a critical coordinator of dynamic fatty acid flux on a meal-to-meal basis,” Guyenet clarifies. Through coordination, insulin is the main hormone that, essentially, tells the body what to do with the food energy just eaten. For example, when carbohydrate or protein is eaten, insulin directs the body to burn the carbohydrate or protein instead of using fat. And when mostly fat is eaten, the lack of an insulin response directs the body to burn the fat just eaten.

“Either way, you burn what you eat, and when that runs out, you go back to burning stored fat,” according to Guyenet. “This process is easily misinterpreted because one of insulin’s main functions following a meal is to shut down fat release from fat cells while the body burns carbohydrate and protein.

From Guyenet’s explanation, it sounds more as if insulin’s role is really that of a traffic cop— signaling where nutrients should go (carbs, protein, and fat) just after meals.Overall, however, insulin does not promote fat accumulation in the long run. Keep in mind that insulin also promotes the transport of glucose and amino acid into muscle for synthesis of glycogen and proteins after meals.

At the end of the day, the total 24-hour ‘flux’ of fat in and out of fat cells does not appear to depend on these insulin spikes,” Guyenet comments.

Thanks for posting this. :flowerforyou: