Apple Cider Vinegar anyone?

Options

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

If it works, then why shouldn't it win over science.
    Maybe in 2 weeks, science will say that it does work...who knows?
    If it doesn't work then I will stop taking it.
    It doesn't hurt to try....

Because it can hurt to try something.

What if taking doses higher than what would be normally ingested in food causes permanent damage to your body?

It's not just whether or not something has benefits, but also what is the safe range for ingestion. Calcium is good for your bones. High doses of calcium supplements will actually hurt you.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

If it works then its effects should be measurable and explainable. I have yet to see evidence for this presented by anyone. Links are to blog articles and the studies they cite do not actually support what they are saying when you look at the data. Apparently it helps with acne, lowers blood sugar, lowers insulin levels, aids in acid reflux, helps with weight loss, helps heal sunburns and yet the source of this information is internet blogs incorrectly citing studies or heresay.

Personally I would never just drink diluted acid just to drink it with no evidence that it actually would help because "why not"

Is this ever a reason to do something? Maybe in 2 weeks science will say jumping of tall buildings is great for your spine...who knows? Is there something you couldn't apply this logic to?

By what means will you gauge whether or not it "works"? Do you have a plan? How long are you going to take it for? Are you going to hold the rest of your diet constant while doing so?

Other than delaying you from seeking out actual treatment for your condition. Honestly I view this sort of thing like a view homeopathy. It gives people false hope, it delays them from seeking actual treatment. When you ask what the reason they are doing it for is they get defensive. You should have a reason past "why not try it" because that reasoning could be applied to literally anything.

The immediate thought that comes to mind for me is the reason not to drink acid while having issues with stomach acid is because acid.
  • kconrad1712
    kconrad1712 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Am I weird if I *LOVE* Apple Cider Vinegar on fresh, hot bacon?
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    I notice everyone is saying that specifically apple cider vinegar helps treat these conditions. No one is saying just any old vinegar will do. Logically that means if true that the active ingredient that actually effects the treatment is something unique to apple cider vinegar that is not present in other vinegars. That eliminates acetic acid as the possible active ingredient. If you can eliminate acetic acid as the causative agent then there is no reason to ingest vinegar itself because the only thing that makes vinegar vinegar is acetic acid. If acetic acid IS the active ingredient that causes cure for symptoms then it would be much cheaper and easier to just order a big ole bottle of glacial acetic acid and dilute it down with water.

Does anyone know what it has to be specifically apple cider vinegar and not just any vinegar?
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I notice everyone is saying that specifically apple cider vinegar helps treat these conditions. No one is saying just any old vinegar will do. Logically that means if true that the active ingredient that actually effects the treatment is something unique to apple cider vinegar that is not present in other vinegars. That eliminates acetic acid as the possible active ingredient. If you can eliminate acetic acid as the causative agent then there is no reason to ingest vinegar itself because the only thing that makes vinegar vinegar is acetic acid. If acetic acid IS the active ingredient that causes cure for symptoms then it would be much cheaper and easier to just order a big ole bottle of glacial acetic acid and dilute it down with water.

Does anyone know what it has to be specifically apple cider vinegar and not just any vinegar?

Shhhh, stop asking such probing and useful questions.

If they didn't have a specific type of vinegar, it would sound less compelling. Just vinegar? Pshhh, that's just a fad. Oh, you mean APPLE CIDER vinegar? Well, now you're onto something.

The same applies to oil pulling. Why coconut oil? Why not any oil? Because without the specificity, it doesn't sound quite as legit. Never mind that it doesn't logically make any sense, it SOUNDS good though...

A lot of people prefer to believe in things rather than pursue the rational because it's easy to believe, it's harder to become educated. One requires effort, the other requires a nod of the head.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options

It was an old pioneer remedy for just about everything. Presumably, that was the kind of vinegar they had on hand. If those people had been major wine drinkers, we'd be reading about the miraculous properties of red and white wine vinegar. In the area in and around Modena, Italy, where balsamic vinegar is made, balsamic vinegar is believed to be medicinal. As someone said earlier in this thread, frequently foods that have strong tastes are believed to be medicinal.
  • TechLady11412
    TechLady11412 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This thread just made my night. She asked one simple question and everyone went off into some scientific debate. I dilute my 1 tbs of apple cider vinegar with 16 oz of water :) I makes me feel less bloated and happier so I take it every once in awhile simple as that :)

This was my point exactly.
    If you don't take ACV and can't answer my question, then move on.
    I took it this morning with a big glass of lemon water...went down much easier.
    Thanks to everyone for their help!!!! :drinker:

^ this ^

no worries OP, dey is hangry, that's all. If the know-it-alls really knew-it-all, they wouldn't be here in the first place. All that busywork (probably while at work) scouring the intrawebz to post this and that study to prove a point.......along with snarky remarks when someone asks a simple question.....astounding.

The World Wide Web - providing unrelenting entertainment and lols since 1990.
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    This thread just made my night. She asked one simple question and everyone went off into some scientific debate. I dilute my 1 tbs of apple cider vinegar with 16 oz of water :) I makes me feel less bloated and happier so I take it every once in awhile simple as that :)

^ this ^

no worries OP, dey is hangry, that's all. If the know-it-alls really knew-it-all, they wouldn't be here in the first place. All that busywork (probably while at work) scouring the intrawebz to post this and that study to prove a point.......along with snarky remarks when someone asks a simple question.....astounding.

Yea...this is just funny now.
    Apparently, I am supposed to listen to some scientist expert, who just admitted that he doesn't even know what ACV is...I am not responding to his questions anymore, but I am still reading all the posts for the entertainment...lol.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

^ this ^

Apparently, I am supposed to listen to some scientist expert, who just admitted that he doesn't even know what ACV is...I am not responding to his questions anymore, but I am still reading all the posts for the entertainment...lol.

No you are not supposed to "listen to me" you are supposed to be able to give reasons for why you do things. If you cannot give a reason you should probably question why you are doing it in the first place.

If you don't know why apple cider vinegar "works" and normal vinegar does not then why do you assume that it works at all in the first place or by what mechanism.

I just do not understand you or anyone who just eats or drinks something they admit that they do not like the taste of because they heard from somewhere it was good for them despite not actually being able to explain why it would be good or how it is effective.

I have never at any point said "do what I say because I said it" I implored you to ask questions and try to come up with reasons for doing something other than just "why not" for the sake of your health.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    doesn't even know what ACV is

You are absolutely correct, I have no idea what the active ingredient is in ACV that would effect these cures. Do you? Personally before I imbibed something for the purpose of treatment I would want to know what the active ingredient was and how it worked.

I honestly do not understand why anyone would take something without knowing those two things "just because" so I assumed that you DID know those things which is why I asked in the first place.

What is the active ingredient?

How does it work?

Apparently admitting I don't know something and asking for an explanation makes me a smartass know-it-all. All I am doing is asking "Why?"
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I have had people recommend it to me so I am trying it out.
    That is all

If all it takes for you to try something is for someone to recommend it, I recommend you eat less and move more if you want to lose weight and not rely on magic cure-alls.

If someone recommended you eat your grass clippings, would you do it no questions asked or perhaps try to educate yourself why and how they came to that conclusion? I think that is all anyone in this thread is doing.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I use it in the horses' stock tank to cut down on mosquito bites; I'm told they don't like the smell on the horses' skin, don't know if that is true, but it does work.
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have had people recommend it to me so I am trying it out.
    That is all

If all it takes for you to try something is for someone to recommend it, I recommend you eat less and move more if you want to lose weight and not rely on magic cure-alls.

If someone recommended you eat your grass clippings, would you do it no questions asked or perhaps try to educate yourself why and how they came to that conclusion? I think that is all anyone in this thread is doing.

Wow...let me say it again.
    I am not taking it to lose weight.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

^ this ^

No you are not supposed to "listen to me" you are supposed to be able to give reasons for why you do things. If you cannot give a reason you should probably question why you are doing it in the first place.

If you don't know why apple cider vinegar "works" and normal vinegar does not then why do you assume that it works at all in the first place or by what mechanism.

I just do not understand you or anyone who just eats or drinks something they admit that they do not like the taste of because they heard from somewhere it was good for them despite not actually being able to explain why it would be good or how it is effective.

I have never at any point said "do what I say because I said it" I implored you to ask questions and try to come up with reasons for doing something other than just "why not" for the sake of your health.

You've fought the good fight man, but unfortunately it's easier to believe there's something magical you can take that will help cure all your problems and I'm afraid you're wasting your breath. My mom is the same way as the OP (even went through an apple cider vinegar phase), always picking up Dr. Oz's latest fad or product that will help melt the pounds off you (in combination with diet and exercise, of course!).

OP, enjoy your apple cider vinegar. I hear the placebo effect is pretty powerful!
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

You work for Dr. Oz don't you?
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I take a small amount in a glass of water most days, not been ill once since I've been doing it. Also works wonders for water infections. I think like a lot of things overdoing it wouldn't be good but with my various "old wives tales" I manage to keep myself and my family away from lining the pharmaceutical companies pockets :) Gotta love this site!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Okay you know what I give up, you want some advice on how to drink apple cider vinegar without the yucky taste? Okay here you go.

If ACV cures your ailments but normal vinegar does not then acetic acid is NOT the cause of the cure since both ACV and normal vinegar have similar amounts of acetic acid. Acetic acid is the reason for the strong taste that makes it difficult to drink but it can be neutrilized by a base. So here is what you do. Add a teaspoon of baking soda to the ACV, that will neutralize the acid and it will end up tasting more like juice than burning while not affecting whatever the magical active ingredient is.

It will foam up a lot and bubble but after the bubbles subside you should have something considerably more drinkable as the combination of baking soda and acetic acid converts it to a gas byproduct that will escape.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I don't take any vinegar but I have heard of people taking a tablespoon at bedtime to help to lose weight!

Sorry I guess it was a different poster who followed your post that made this quote - my apologies on that error.

Still - same question applies...just because "someone" (vague) recommends "something" (especially something that just sounds and looks silly on its face), I don't think that's a valid reason to do anything.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    It's not just vinegar. It's apple cider vinegar made from apples. I did not start this topic to create an argument about it. If you don't take it the that is your decision. I have had people recommend it to me so I am trying it out.
    That is all

Not trying to start an argument just confused. Vinegar is dilute acetic acid, that is what it is. Doesn't matter where it comes from anymore than ethanol distilled from grapes is any different than ethanol distilled from potatoes. If they add things to it then its the things they add that matters in which case just drop the acetic acid part and drink some juice.

I cannot imagine there is a health benefit to ingesting acetic acid.
    Organic apple cider vinegar is fermented and not treated with heat. It has a lot of probiotics, similar to homemade saurkraut or fermented kimchi. However, there are websites that claim it can cure everything from obesity to ulcers. Right! I think it's healthy but not a cure-all. I do use organic vinegars for salad dressings. I find the taste is better than the non-organics.