Replies

• SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I bike an hour to/from work each day.
  • usmcj80
    usmcj80 Posts: 58
    Options
    I lift weights for about an hour or so then run 5 miles. I have some long runs that burn up that without the lift so like 70 to 90 minute runs at about an 8:00 to 8:30 pace
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Bikram (yoga in a 105 degree room) can burn a ton of calories in a 90 min sesh. I weigh 118 lbs and burn aprox. 950 cals per sesh. If you weigh more you burn more. Be warned this is not deep breathing yoga, this is cardio and strength yoga.

Highly doubtful. How are you calculation the cals burned? HRMs will over estimate any exercise that is not steady state cardio. and a hotter room will not necessarily burn more cals, maybe 10% more at most.

Another thing to keep in mind all calculators tell you cals burned during that duration, but you would have burned maintenance cals had you not done the workout. This should amount to 1-1.75 cals per minute. so in a 90 minute workout you probably would have burned 100-150 cals had you not worked out.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The most I ever burned in an hour of Zumba was 600 something... The times I have burned over 1000 were from over 2 hour workouts like running a half marathon :). That got me 1600ish if I remember right
  • katykat79
    katykat79 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I will run 5 miles at 8:30 pace and then swim a mile....and even that doesn't quite get me to 1000! Or I will go out for a run twice in one day...the point is, I think you have to go above and beyond to burn that much...my less intense days run about 500 calories. The other downside is, the more weight you lose the harder it is to burn that much...but then again, the whole point is to lose weight :)
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Run stairs and then run some more, then walk / jog and do some more stairs. Add in a little more cardio and run more stairs. Did I happen to say run some stairs?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    It is pretty easy to do with a heavy lifting session and some time on the elliptical at a high intensity level. I don't normally do 1000, but I can burn 500-600 easily doing these two things in about 1-1 and a half hours or less.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It's fallen off the reports by now, but I think the most I did as 1200 in a day. Me, a pile of crappy fill for the yard, a 1/2-inch mesh screen, pickaxe, shovel and a wheelbarrow for over four hours.

That was a very long day.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i hate running, but i go for long walks. an 8.5 mile walk burns ~1200 calories for me right now.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I weight 219. I set my speed to about 3.8 with a incline of 10.5% for 60 mins. I burn a little over 1000 calories. My entire body is soaked after it though. I eat about 1700 to 1800 that day!
    I float between the 240s and 250s. I do high-incline treadmill (9-15%) at 3.0-4.0mph. Even at the lowest (3mph/9%), my burn rate is at least 12 cals/min as per HRM (which I keep fixed at 240#). However, my workouts are usually ~15 cal/min. I can burn 1,000 cals in slightly more than an hour (BTW: my treadmill shows similar burn #s)
    Additionally, I have a homemade desk and telework daily, so on "quieter" days I can have a 2-3 hour workout. I've done a 3,500+ cal burn more than once.
  • moraiwebird
    moraiwebird Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Lap Swimming + Zumba + HIIT make the 1000+ mark pretty easy to hit.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and weigh 248. If I spend an hour on the elliptical with a target heart rate of 151 for an hour I get 800 calories. If I weight train I get approx 250 for 40 minutes (I actually do 80 min but I half the time because I don't trust MFP's estimate). That's over 1,000 calories for 2.5 hours of work.

I used to like walking on the tredmil at 3.0 miles an hour, but the intensity wasn't high and the calories burnt was low. I still walk the tredmil, but that's only if I've done an hour of elliptical and want a little more.
  • cwoyto123
    cwoyto123 Posts: 308
    Options
    Masterbate 25 hours a day.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Hop on a mtn bike, climb your *kitten* off and ride trail for a few hours. You'll get your burn on.......
  • Nightcometh
    Nightcometh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't "eat back my calories". I don't trust the numbers on here, even if they are a good way to gauge how much exercise I should be doing. I eat my calorie goal no matter how much I work out. Unless I'm utterly exhausted and unable to work out, then everything is fine and I obviously have enough energy.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost 250 lbs.....therefore I burn a lot of calories.
  • wu3ju3j
    wu3ju3j Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is why I don't "eat back my calories". I don't trust the numbers on here, even if they are a good way to gauge how much exercise I should be doing. I eat my calorie goal no matter how much I work out. Unless I'm utterly exhausted and unable to work out, then everything is fine and I obviously have enough energy.

I agree with not eating back my exercise calories. I consider my exercise a bonus towards my weight loss in addition to my calorie intake.
  • CallMeRuPaul
    CallMeRuPaul Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I ran a half marathon on May 18th and burned almost 1700 calories.
  • phantasmagical
    phantasmagical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bikram (yoga in a 105 degree room) can burn a ton of calories in a 90 min sesh. I weigh 118 lbs and burn aprox. 950 cals per sesh. If you weigh more you burn more. Be warned this is not deep breathing yoga, this is cardio and strength yoga.

Do you use a HRM during Bikram? I LOVE my bikram sessions, but haven't been logging them because I have absolutely no idea how much I'm burning. Tips for figuring it out?
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Did a weights session this morning (around 220cals), a 1.5 mile brisk walk at lunch time (100 cals), just got back from my running club meet where I ran approx 6.5 miles including a 30min hill threshold session and according to my HRM burned a total of approx 800 cals. I do this routine twice a week. On a Sunday I'll do a 2hrs run and burn around 1200 cals (depending on route/ pace). The rest of the week I'll do the lunchtime walk plus some sort of cross training burning around 300 cals. It helps the burn that I'm still around 45lbs overweight admittedly!