Apple Cider Vinegar anyone?

Options

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Only for sunburns. I wouldn't eat/drink that if my life depended on it, but that's me...

Also for this...
    The only thing I use Apple Cider Vinegar for is to attract fruit flies... anything else... Nah... see no need to... it's just a placebo.

What is the reason behind using it for sunburns? I mean acetic acid is a skin irritant and an acid, even diluted to 5% I'd think that would burn like a motherf*****
  • cindyb1984
    cindyb1984 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Wow, yes, people are mean. So can assume one of two things, they have lost all the weight they wanted to and are now acting like mean girls (guys), or they are so calorically deprived they've become jerks. :laugh:

:drinker:
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I used to take it! I actually like the flavor, lol. It's like, nasty good. Anyway, when I get an upset belly I drink apple cider vinegar with warm water (like a tea) and it helps!

Before people freak out that I'm pro apple cider vinegar for belly aches, if you don't agree, just don't do it. It doesn't hurt to try :P
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Wow, yes, people are mean. So can assume one of two things, they have lost all the weight they wanted to and are now acting like mean girls (guys), or they are so calorically deprived they've become jerks. :laugh:

OP wasn't asking about weightloss and I still don't understand how asking someone to substantiate their beliefs = being mean.
  • mchanido
    mchanido Posts: 6
    Options
    Sorry! Double post!
  • mchanido
    mchanido Posts: 6
    Options
    Now I know why some people hate posting on these forums...

Because if you post something incredulous, someone will ask for a legitimate explanation rather than just taking someone's word for it?

This.

I am also a scientist, a chemist to be exact, and I can tell you that vinegar doesn't become alkaline in the body. Maybe just your body compensates for the acidity by trying to sift to more alkaline pH. Also cancer cells die in any extreme pH, alkaline or acidic. Why don't we use it for treatment I hear you ask? Because normal cells die as well.

Eat healthy. There are no shortcuts to losing weight. If you have acid reflux or heartburn go to the doctor and take the medicine they advice you to take. Don't risk your health.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Only for sunburns. I wouldn't eat/drink that if my life depended on it, but that's me...

Also for this...
    The only thing I use Apple Cider Vinegar for is to attract fruit flies... anything else... Nah... see no need to... it's just a placebo.

What is the reason behind using it for sunburns? I mean acetic acid is a skin irritant and an acid, even diluted to 5% I'd think that would burn like a motherf*****

It actually doesn't burn at all. I'm not sure how it works, but it took the pain away. I was skeptical at first, but my shoulders hurt so bad and I wanted to get back to lifting all the heavy things so I thought I would give it a shot. I was a lot better (pain wise) after dipping a couple wash rags in ACV and letting it sit on my shoulders for 15-20 minutes. I did that 3x the 1st day and maybe 1x the second day.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options

Also for this...

It actually doesn't burn at all. I'm not sure how it works, but it took the pain away. I was skeptical at first, but my shoulders hurt so bad and I wanted to get back to lifting all the heavy things so I thought I would give it a shot. I was a lot better (pain wise) after dipping a couple wash rags in ACV and letting it sit on my shoulders for 15-20 minutes. I did that 3x the 1st day and maybe 1x the second day.

Oh yes, sunburn! Omg. I went in a tanning bed with the wrong lotion once and had a horrible reaction. I looked like a burn victim and it hurt SOOO bad, like, one of the worst pains I could have ever encountered. I put apple cider vinegar all over myself and it helped amazingly. It still hurt, of course, but not AS bad.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

Also for this...

I've already gotten in trouble on here so I want to emphasis I am not saying this to be mean or aggressive or hostile there is just a psychology here that I do not understand and want to get others perspective on it.

If you do not know how something "works" then why would you ever use it? What if it "works" by causing nerve damage to the upper layer of exposed nerves in a similar way to phenol? I mean if you rubbed phenol into a sunburn I bet the pain would go away but you'd end up with severe tissue damage afterwords.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options

Also for this...

I've already gotten in trouble on here so I want to emphasis I am not saying this to be mean or aggressive or hostile there is just a psychology here that I do not understand and want to get others perspective on it.

If you do not know how something "works" then why would you ever use it? What if it "works" by causing nerve damage to the upper layer of exposed nerves in a similar way to phenol? I mean if you rubbed phenol into a sunburn I bet the pain would go away but you'd end up with severe tissue damage afterwords.

For me, I didn't know that it'd work on me, but I also didn't know Vicodin would work when I got my wisdom tooth pulled. A friend of mine said it worked for him and put it on me, it worked. My dentist (Okay, a lot more qualified than a friend, but whatever) told me Vicodin would work, and it did. There are a lot of side effects to Vicodin, yes, but you cannot discredit it's ability to take pain away. :P You'll never really know if anything is going to work until you try it. You can read 1,000 reviews on something, buy it, and it doesn't work. Likewise, you can read 5 reviews on something that say it sucks, buy it, and it's great! So, it's really just risk vs reward.

For what it's worth, my skin seems fine. There might be damage, sure, but there's probably damage from the sun burn, from the lotions I use, from the soaps and detergents that rub against it, falling and skinning myself a few times, etc. But YOLO!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Also for this...

I actually did do some research on it before I tried it. It's been over a week and I've been dealing with some other things, sorry I can't actually remember exactly how it works right now. I probably shouldn't have said I don't know exactly how it works, but I did actually do some research.

Granted this article is from the interwebz...http://www.livestrong.com/article/94502-soothe-sunburn-vinegar/
    and that say to spray it on, the links I looked up are on my home computer. I had a MFP friend who had also previously done this and she was the one that told me about it.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I use it in cooking, dressing and marinade recipes only. I have an amazing appleslaw that I make with a cider vinaigrette... yummy - it's delish on a pulled pork sammich :)
  • spara0038
    spara0038 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've been watching this topic for a while. This is PRIME example of why not to rely on hearsay or google for advice but to rather ask your doctor or a nutritionist. There is no shortcut, quick fix, simple way, etc. If you're not willing to put in the work, you're not ready to get where you need to go.

The only thing that I could imagine apple cider vinegar might do is actually GIVE you heartburn. As mchanido mentioned, acetic acid (apple cider vinegar) IS an acid- the opposite of alkaline at a pH of roughly 2.2 depending on the dilution. You'd be better off eating spicy peppers or drinking green tea since they actually have proven benefits.

This thread gave me a few chuckles, though. The logical jumps and mental gymnastics were incredible. I'll let my brain take tomorrow off to avoid pulling a muscle :tongue:
  • laurenk08
    laurenk08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I take a tablespoon or two at night with herbal teal! It helps my my digestion and settling my stomach, plus it is supposed to balance PH levels and detox the body. I think its a great natural remedy! Make sure you use the unpasteurized organic kind! Just the plain apple cider vinegar does nothing for you.
  • wolf39us
    wolf39us Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Like I said, ACV is good for wart removal and I am a first hand account. I also used ACV to get rid of toe nail fungus that was bad enough to warrant medical assistance!

Apparently you can also get rid of skin tags and moles as well using ACV. ACV can also be used to assist with Athlete's foot and smelly feet in general.

I don't personally have any desire to actually consume it though!
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    For me, I didn't know that it'd work on me, but I also didn't know Vicodin would work when I got my wisdom tooth pulled. A friend of mine said it worked for him and put it on me, it worked. My dentist (Okay, a lot more qualified than a friend, but whatever) told me Vicodin would work, and it did. There are a lot of side effects to Vicodin, yes, but you cannot discredit it's ability to take pain away. :P You'll never really know if anything is going to work until you try it. You can read 1,000 reviews on something, buy it, and it doesn't work. Likewise, you can read 5 reviews on something that say it sucks, buy it, and it's great! So, it's really just risk vs reward.

You are right, you don't need to know the detailed processes on everything. I couldn't explain how my car works in the same level of detail as a car designer or mechanic.

However let me point out some differences between Vicodin and the vinegar. The claims on the Vicodin (dulling pain) has been verified and tested by the FDA, rigorous studies have not only validated the claim (dulling pain) but also the potential side effects and drug interactions. The prescribing professional (dentist) has years of training and experience giving that medication to his/her clients, including who should NOT receive it. The pharmacist also will act as a check to make sure you understand the medications, receive the correct type and dosage, and if you have any potential drug interactions (seeing what else you have in the computer system). Then the drug itself will have warning labels and a drug insert sheet with more details then you could ever want included. You will be given multiple chances to ask questions and will be asked about previous reactions, current medications, and known allergies. During all this the lot number will also be tracked so if there are any potential recalls, you will be notified. You will also be given information on what to do in the case of accidental poisoning.

Home remedies do NOT come with these. Let's pretend for a second that there is a Home Remedy Kangaroo Piss that is awesome at treating diaper rash and bed sores. However it needs to be diluted in a 50% distilled water mixture and then mixed in equal parts with finely powdered oatmeal to make the paste. It shouldn't be left on for more than 6 hours without cleaning and reapplying. It should also not be applied to anyone with diabetes, poor blood circulation, or conditions that affect the ability to feel pain or heat. Guess which part will be repeated ad nauseam on the internet? Kangaroo Piss is AWESOME! It can treat all sorts of skin conditions! My cousin in Germany swears by it for her moles, acne, stretch marks, and hair loss. My neighbor grew back his fingernails! You should totally drink it! No, just pour it straight on your skin!
  • Annamarie3404
    Annamarie3404 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Mmmm! I love acetic acid with my lettuce! No seriously, I'm not fond of apple cider vinegar. I prefer balsamic vinegar. I eat it with almost everything. It's great on fish and chips.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Like I said, ACV is good for wart removal and I am a first hand account. I also used ACV to get rid of toe nail fungus that was bad enough to warrant medical assistance!

Apparently you can also get rid of skin tags and moles as well using ACV. ACV can also be used to assist with Athlete's foot and smelly feet in general.

I don't personally have any desire to actually consume it though!

Vinegar is also excellent as a rust remover. I have used it for that purpose before to strip rust off of screws from an outdoor grill. But that actually makes sense because as a weak acid acetic acid will form a salt with iron oxide and cause the hydrated iron oxide to become flaky and crumble. Citric acid, from say lemons, or phosphoric acid (which most cola's have) are good rust removers for the same reason.

I'm not anti-home-remedy but there should be an understood reason why they work.
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Why are people so mean all the time?

This person just wants to ingest a random substance for no real reason - that's *always* a great plan!

I had a friend tell me bleach curse hangovers, I'm going to go drink some! And don't bother telling me not to, you big jerks!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Hi, not endorsing any remedies or taking any side in this at all, but I have heard of this. Someone asked a few pages back why APPLE CIDER VINEGAR vs other vinegars and why acetic acid would have health benefits. The idea behind this belief is that you would use only fermented undistilled vinegar (such as Bragg's) that still has the living "mother" in it. The enzymes/bacteria that are in the mother are what supposedly bring the health benefits. So ingesting the mother is really the goal, the ACV is the delivery/medium for consumption.

Again, not speaking Pro/Con but throwing that out for discussion and food for thought/debate.