Breakfast ideas that will get me through to lunch?

Options

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I tried this smoothie last week a few days, it kept me full for from 630am to noon

Its call the Pink Breakfast Smoothie

1 c strawberries
    1 banana
    1/2 c oats
    1 tsp raw honey
    1/2 c peanut butter
    1 c almond milk or other milk you drink?
    handful of ice cubes

1/2 cup of peanut butter? Really? Seems like a lot.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I do better when I have more protein. I like to sautee 2 big handfuls of kale in a pan with coconut or olive oil, then pour 2-3 eggs on and cook like an omelet. THe kale helps feel fuller, and the protein in the eggs gives me enough energy to make it too lunch. WHen I eat a bagel or oatmeal I'm always hungry again within 1-2 hours, if I eat eggs I am more satisfied. Just try to focus on getting more protein in. Carrots are a good snack you can eat mid-morning to keep you going. 1-2 big carrots should do the trick (don't waste your money on baby carrots, they are over processed and dipped in chemicals to keep from turning white. Big carrots are a hell of a lot cheaper and are the exact same thing. I actually find eating big carrots more satisfying too because there is more chewing involved)

In case you care, carrots are pretty high in sugar.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    two hard boiled egg whites !!:smile:

I think all of you people who are only eating the whites of eggs are missing out on fat that would keep you fuller longer, and wouldn't hurt you.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I know you said oatmeal was something you've tried, but when I mix peanut butter into my oatmeal, I am SET :) I can eat like 700 cals in the morning or more and still be hungry in 3+ hours so I feel your pain. Good luck :D
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is a breakfast food that keeps you full for a long time.

I would snack on hard boiled eggs or protein bars, good protein bars, the kind high in protein but low in sugar and not too much fat.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    two hard boiled egg whites !!:smile:

I think all of you people who are only eating the whites of eggs are missing out on fat that would keep you fuller longer, and wouldn't hurt you.
    I agree, I eat whole eggs.
  • michaelgagliano10
    Options
    I would blend a shake that you can drink at 10:30am and have 1 scoop of whey protein powder, 1/2 cup of rolled oats and 1.5 cups of unsweetened almond milk. Good snack that you can drink quickly.

For breakfast make protein pancakes. they will fill you up.
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I stay full the longest when I eat carbs and protein and fat all together - so a couple of eggs with cheese on a bagel. That will get me closer to lunch than anything else. However, if there's any way to get a snack in before lunch, I definitely think that's the best option.
  • kkbmommy
    kkbmommy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My favorite snack when working is hard boiled eggs or rotisserie chicken shredded into bite size pieces and if I have extra time I'll pair it with an apple.
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    We make breakfast burritos in bulk on the weekend, wrap them in foil, store in the fridge for the week. When I get up in the morning, I pop one in the toaster oven at 275 degrees or so. Once I'm out of the shower breakfast is ready! There are nearly infinite options for burrito fillings but here's my standard:

Scrambled eggs (about 1 - 1.5 per burrito)
    Diced, steamed potatoes (no oil)
    Sauteed veggies (onion, peppers, zucchini - whatever we have in the fridge)
    Shredded cheese
    Prepared green chile sauce (we buy Nanita's, which is a local company, but any good green chile you like will do - just avoid any kind of really watery salsa)

Once I have all the above prepared, I assembly line prep the burritos.
    Lay out foil pieces (we buy boxes of foil sheets at Costco - like the kind you get at a deli - very convenient and inexpensive)
    Put one tortilla on each foil sheet (I like the 100 calorie high fiber type)
    put a few Tbs of green chile in the middle of the tortilla
    Top with a scoop of eggs, then some potatoes and veggies
    Top that with a handful of shredded cheese
    Wrap it up tightly and just throw them in a bag in the fridge

As far as nutritional data, I just measured out what went into one and entered that as a recipe in MFP. About 400 calories the way I make mine, with a ton of protein and fiber. It means a bit of work on the weekend, but easy, fast, and filling mornings all week!
  • bah_bug
    bah_bug Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you're up to making your own bars, I highly recommend this recipe:

http://ohsheglows.com/2014/05/20/feel-good-hearty-granola-bars/

Don't let the fact that they're vegan scare you off - these are amazing. My dyed in the wool meat eating aunt and her partner both LURVE them.
  • ChippyLoo
    ChippyLoo Posts: 23
    Options
    Coffee always tides me over and mints
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    OP, did you try the protein pancakes?

Not yet, but my dad have me his recipe for Quinoia pancakes. He made them when he was in town for memorial day weekend. I had 1.5 of the leftover pancakes on Tuesday and they carried me through to lunch just fine!

That sounds tasty! Will you please share your dad's recipe for those pancakes?
  • scythswife
    scythswife Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    There are lots of protein powder recipes that are great and will help u stay full. My favorite shake is a chocolate peanut butter banana

1 scoop chocolate peanut butter whey protein powder
    1/4 c greek yogurt (brand is based on what I have)
    1 cup coconut or almond milk (whichever I have)
    1 banana
    2 Tbsp honey peanut butter (I can't eat regular or I get sick) (OPTIONAL)
    1 Tbsp Hershey's syrup (OPTIONAL) if I want more chocolate flavor.

blend and drink. depending what goes in it can be around 500 calories but I am full for hours.
  • 3monthsfromnow
    Options
    there are plenty...

cottage cheese with berries n nuts..
    greek yogurt n muesli..
    scrambled eggs n a slice of toast..
    to slices of toasts w/ PB n banana..
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    OP, did you try the protein pancakes?

Not yet, but my dad have me his recipe for Quinoia pancakes. He made them when he was in town for memorial day weekend. I had 1.5 of the leftover pancakes on Tuesday and they carried me through to lunch just fine!

That sounds tasty! Will you please share your dad's recipe for those pancakes?

Yes! I don't have it right now, but I can post it for you!
  • dayzeyblue
    dayzeyblue Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What I do in the morning before work I take 1 oz of Boars Head Ham shred it into a sprayed pan (30 cals) then on top of that i put one whole egg and one egg white (90cals) I like a runny yoke once ccoked i put about 7grams low fat shredded cheese on top (20cals) then I toast 1 slice of low cal bread (45cals). I put my egg on a paper plate fold it in half covering the egg slide it into a gallon ziplock...wrap a piece of papertowel around the dry toast bring it all to work. Heat up my egg for 15 sec when i get to work break the yolk spread it over the top put that on top of my toast and eat it like egg pizza...lol... I have it at my desk....takes less than 10 minutes to cook in morn and only 185 cals! I have it every morn...fills me up till lunch!
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    There are some awesome ideas here!

When I need to keep full.. love to mix cottage cheese and diced avocado with some pepper. Then I get an english muffin and put the cheese and avocado stuff on top. I keep a little of the cottage cheese mixture in a bowl too so I can eat that by itself. Does the trick for me!
  • natstar26
    natstar26 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    yup just add in snack... I couldn't wait that long haha