Study: People lost more weight drinking diet soda...

Options

Replies

• VeganCappy
    VeganCappy Posts: 122
    Options
    Yes, that's completely opposite of how people react when they find blog posts and YouTube videos that they believe support their flawed worldview

Of course some of those youtube videos are recording of world renown scientists who are educating people on their years of research.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's completely opposite of how people react when they find blog posts and YouTube videos that they believe support their flawed worldview

Of course some of those youtube videos are recording of world renown scientists who are educating people on their years of research.
    Some but the majority aren't
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

And there are zero response videos by scientists that dispute the results of your world renowned scientists? They put stuff on YouTube and it becomes dogma?
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    All I know for sure is that I have to keep diet soda on the "occasional" list because too many of them - like 3 in a week for example - will give me a headache. It does help me to stay within calorie restriction, though; if I want a treat, I get a diet Coke.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I will stick with water....

+1

long term consistent drinking of diet drinks did yuckie things to me. when i gave them up, my health improved. i still have lasting negative effects in some areas, but some areas improved. I'll repeat... I will stick with water...

we all drink water...even diet soda drinkers...I get in at least 8 8oz cups a day...before I drink a diet coke...

So I have to ask tho what imporved? and what else changed? What are the "lasting negative effects"...

i lost 20 pounds off the bat. some of my headaches went away (after the initial withdrawal headaches). high blood pressure improved.

lasting negative effects... not proven, but... things that developed over the years and i 'think' it could have something to do with drinking lots of diet coke but i could be wrong: i am now lactose intolerant, never have been before. my stomach is also intolerant to other foods such as acid based foods(tomatoes, oranges, grapefruit, etc). like i said, could or could not be related, but i didn't have these issues before and developed them. but that's just what happened to me. ;)

so you stopped drinking diet soda...nothing else..nothing changed and you lost 20lbs...:noway: sure

and the bp didn't improve due to the 20lbs being gone???

being lactose intolerant isn't from drinking diet pop otherwise most type1 diabetics would be as well...ditto to the stomache issues..
    Lactose intolerance is very common in adults. It is rarely dangerous. Around 30 million American adults have some degree of lactose intolerance by age 20.
    •In Caucasians, lactose intolerance often develops in children older than age 5. In African Americans, the problem can occur as early as age 2.
    •The condition is normal among adults with Asian, African, or Native American heritage. It is less common in people of northern or western European backgrounds.

Other causes of lactose intolerance include:
    •Bowel surgery
    •Infections in the small intestine from viruses, bacteria, or parasites (most often seen in children, but can also occur in adults)
    •Intestinal diseases such as celiac sprue

from this

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000276.htm
  • VeganCappy
    Options

And there are zero response videos by scientists that dispute the results of your world renowned scientists? They put stuff on YouTube and it becomes dogma?

Every truth looks like dogma to the highly indoctrination.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    i don't care what the study says, diet soda is NOT good for you. But keep on drinking your aspartame cola, get that daily dose of poison!

At what levels does aspartame become dangerous to humans?
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Everything truth looks like dogma to the highly indoctrination.

Then enlighten us, oh wise one. Instead of posting YouTube videos not even related to the topic - why not post some information about aspartame that will show us heathens the light???
  • VeganCappy
    Options
    All adults of every species are lactose intolerant. Humans who continue to consume milk after infancy force their bodies to deal with the lactose. Along with the things that Stef mentioned, simply stopping consumption of dairy will eliminate your bodies ability to effectively deal with the lactose.

Humans are the only species to drink milk after infancy. We are the only species to drink the milk of another species. Cow's dairy is designed to add a thousand pounds to a calf. Why anyone trying to lose weight would drink dairy is beyond me. It is also loaded with hormones and antibiotics that can negatively effect a humans hormone imbalance and natural immune system. This is why puberty is hitting kids earlier and earlier as they continue to up the added hormones to milk.

Cow's dairy is strongly linked to type I diabetes.

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/17/1/13.full.pdf
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    i don't care what the study says, diet soda is NOT good for you. But keep on drinking your aspartame cola, get that daily dose of poison!
    You're talking about the water, yes?
    Because, I'm pretty sure, the water in the diet soda is more poisonous than the aspartame - you'd die from the water before the aspartame got even near to being an issue from the research that has been done.
  • VeganCappy
    Options
    You're talking about the water, yes?
    Because, I'm pretty sure, the water in the diet soda is more poisonous than the aspartame - you'd die from the water before the aspartame got even near to being an issue from the research that has been done.

What? I don't think so. LOL
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    People majorly fail to read and interpret the study and put their own meanings into it. To make it simple, what it shows is only this: *IF* you are a soda drinker and you are trying to lose weight in a non calorie controlled diet, if you decide to switch to ONLY water, you will probably intake more calories than if you drank diet soda while trying to lose weight in that same calorie uncontrolled diet. THATS ALL!!

It does *NOT* indicate diet soda helps you lose weight, but it does tend to say that if you drank soda previously and restrict yourself from it while losing weight and not counting calories, you will probably eat more. I'd say that's true with ANY food you like and decide to "cold turkey" out of your diet and try to lose weight at the same time. SO its basically saying ABSOLUTELY NOTHING NEW!!

And then yes, you probably should at least have some suspicion in your mind that the results may have been slanted by the funding source. But since it says nothing new or interesting, I doubt they influenced it. Only the presentation was necessary, and just like this topic, you get people coming to the wrong conclusion and running around spreading the pro-artificial sweetener message, that this study doesn't even support! They sure gauged people well, no study manipulation necessary.

Yes, it doesn't matter that the study doesn't really show diet soda helps to lose weight, it made a headline, and people made bad assumptions, now everyone who "likes" diet soda will say it helps you lose weight if you start drinking it, even though that's false.

Eh, I like diet soda (or pop) enough to drink it on occasion, but I'd never say the study meant you'd lose more successfully if you started drinking it (unless you were replacing non-diet soda with it, since you'd be eliminating calories, potentially lots). As others have said, people are often told they should drop diet soda as part of their weight loss efforts, that it stimulates appetite and makes it impossible to eat in moderation, etc. I dropped it for a while and reintroduced it and didn't find it to have any effect at all. Whereas--since I like it--it does work better than water, sometimes, in replacing my desire for food when I'm not really all that hungry but feel like eating. Thus, the study seems consistent with what I had experienced for myself, but I wouldn't draw any silly conclusions from it.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    All adults of every species are lactose intolerant. Humans who continue to consume milk after infancy force their bodies to deal with the lactose. Along with the things that Stef mentioned, simply stopping consumption of dairy will eliminate your bodies ability to effectively deal with the lactose.

Humans are the only species to drink milk after infancy. We are the only species to drink the milk of another species. Cow's dairy is designed to add a thousand pounds to a calf. Why anyone trying to lose weight would drink dairy is beyond me. It is also loaded with hormones and antibiotics that can negatively effect a humans hormone imbalance and natural immune system. This is why puberty is hitting kids earlier and earlier as they continue to up the added hormones to milk.

92590-2804-nf86y-a.jpg
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I would but I can't stand the face sugar any more.
  • FairlyOddChelle
    FairlyOddChelle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I never understand the negative, judgmental reactions people have to OTHER PEOPLE drinking diet soda. Who cares? Whatever works for people. If my only option for a beverage were water, I'd hate it, and I drink tons of water. But, sometimes I need to mix it up.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

These kittahs disagree
    funny-cat-drinking-milk-from-cow-9to5gifs.com_.gif
  • kimberleywilliams23
    kimberleywilliams23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Love a diet coke
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Right, this one study (by the American Beverage Association, no less) proves that once and for all.

You do realize that this study is getting published merely for the fact that it's result is controversial, right? There are many other studies that show no correlation whatsoever. And even if they did, correlation=/=causation. Eating ice cream doesn't cause polio: http://theglyptodon.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/polio-caused-by-ice-cream/

Nice try. Enjoy your cancer.

Either post a study linking diet soda consumption to cancer in humans, or knock it off. I'm sorry, but having seen people die of cancer who never did any "bad" things for their health, I just don't find throwing cancer around to be funny.

Who was being funny? It's a very real concern. Studies have shown it to cause cancer in animals. We can't replicate these studies in humans because it wouldn't be ethical. We don't know what causes most cancers in humans.

We don't replicate those studies because we can't force people to consume 5 times their body weight in aspartame, or saccharin, or whatever they force-feed the lab rats.
  • krubio58
    krubio58 Posts: 11
    Options
    If you are going to drink anything but water, then I suppose diet soda is the best choice for you. If you read the article thoroughly, you will note it was only a short study and that they should do a longer study for real results. Also, the study was funded by diet soda makers....hmmmm.
  • SpencersHeart
    SpencersHeart Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well, from what I understand ( and I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong :laugh:) of this study those that became the water drinkers did not only drink water but added in calorie drinks like fruit juice, and other sweet calories to compensate for the loss of the sweet taste of the diet sodas.

That in itself would cause a tilt in favor of the diet soda drinkers weight loss.

It's still calories in vs calories out. :flowerforyou:

and isn't that the reason most of us drink soda, diet or regular version. i drink water too, but sometimes i want something with taste. or sometimes i'm eating something and need something strong to wash it down.

so for me, the point of the study isn't that drinking diet soda improves weight loss, it's that it doesn't hinder it, as countless sources on the internet would have us believe. it takes the shine off of the "you're priming your body to eat food and your food receptors gonna be all primed and you're gonna crave something sweet and and and diet drinks make you gain weight!" this study tells those people to go jump in the lake.

hopefully there will be room left in the lake for the "Diet soda chemicals gonna kill you!" crowd

I see your point.

Mine is that the title of the study and the wording the news media used was misleading and if someone didn't read the whole study or watch all of the news articles they would think that if they start drinking diet soda, they'll lose weight.

I thought that when I first heard that the story was coming on next, on the news I was watching, and had my wallet in hand to go to the store to pick up some diet coke. :smile: