Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In =)
  • Contagiousblonde
    Contagiousblonde Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the reality of the matter is that every coin has two sides there are many studies that show "many" different foods to be harmful in "large" doses, I personally feel more comfortable consuming foods with less artificial ingredients, (I don't care what people say its just my preference) believe me I love science! but science like beauty is often times in the eye of the beholder, I for one am simply not huge on testing artificial things on my digestive tract, that being said if i'm eating low carb and dying for a rum and coke I will consume a "little" aspartame but if i drink it every day for a week I feel like crap, the human body is pretty amazing and can tell me more about a product than a thousand "scientific" studies which may have commercial and political slants and agendas. All in all everything is best in moderation, just cause some studies say its good doesn't mean you should drink it every day and though some studies said its bad doesn't mean it will kill you.
  • saddare
    saddare Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I was very glad to see this scientific post about Aspartame. I have, of course, heard the warnings. I was skeptical, knowing how the internet can sensationalize things, but it did still make me pause (for a nanosecond only, but pause nonetheless) every time I opened a diet soda, which is a staple on my weight-loss journey to help curb my sweet cravings.

Now I feel more confident that my skepticism was spot-on, and I can enjoy my soda in peace. =)

Thank you, OP.
  • shmerek
    shmerek Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    in
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Minor threadjack, since Pascal's wager is new to me--

Is it Pascal's wager? Don't both sides have to be indefensible by reason (going off of Wikipedia, so I'm trying to understand an area well outside my comfort zone). One side, aspartame is harmless is supported by reason (science). The opposite, that it is harmful, is not, rather being based on supposition unsupported by science? Is it still Pascal's wager? Just curious, I really don't know.

The constraints of pascal's wager make it illogical. It can be summed up by saying that a rational person wouldn't take the risk. Well, because there isn't sufficient evidence to prove a risk. If you assume something is bad before you attempt to prove that there's harm involved, then something has gone awry.

Got it. Thanks!
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I apologize for a somewhat jumbled up post earlier; trying to focus on work & take a few moments here & in there to put more thoughts down in this window just wasn't working well for me. I think a key point here is Moderation.

Knowing the chemical composition of this, I still admit to an occasional diet pop or something along those lines. For the most part, I steer clear of aspartame and MSG. I can't imagine that very light occasional usage of this product will cause anyone any serious ill effects. However, I do strongly believe that those who use this very liberally are opening themselves up to a chemical that was really never intended to enter our bodies in its current form, and that cannot be a good thing.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Full disclosure (for what it's worth):

I'm on OP's side in this argument...

...and I've consumed two sodas since 2005.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    50% Phenylalanine, Aspartic Asic, and Methyl Ester which is basically wood alcohol. Yeah, not scary at all. Let me guess, MSG is perfectly safe, too?

You claim that the same building blocks in the protein are natural in everything we eat, they may be up to 4% of Phenylalanine, not 50%. Our bodies still don't know how to react to such high percentages.

When the body breaks down Aspartame, it breaks down the Methy Alcohol. The claim that they take in Fruit that you take in more methanol. In nature, this methanol in fruit is bound to pectic, which the body cannot break down and separate. In aspartame, this is pure & free in our bodies, and it turns into formaldehyde.

Aspartame, in time, breaks down into Diketopiperazine, basically a carcinogen. Still think its perfectly safe?

You're plenty intelligent, this is obvious by your posts. I'm just not sure why the bias. Aspartame is definitely not safe.

Source please. And at what dose do you claim aspartame is unsafe at?
    Also what concern do you have over MSG?

Also, formaldehyde isn't dangerous in quantities seen from known safe levels of aspartame and I believe (I'll check when not phone posting) that even at abuse doses of aspartame it's still not a concern.

Edit: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7230276/
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    That was probably the most clear explanation of aspartame that I have ever seen.

I would FR you if we weren't already friends.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    That was probably the most clear explanation of aspartame that I have ever seen.

I would FR you if we weren't already friends.

You should drop him and readd him on principle.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    50% Phenylalanine, Aspartic Asic, and Methyl Ester which is basically wood alcohol. Yeah, not scary at all. Let me guess, MSG is perfectly safe, too?

You claim that the same building blocks in the protein are natural in everything we eat, they may be up to 4% of Phenylalanine, not 50%. Our bodies still don't know how to react to such high percentages.

When the body breaks down Aspartame, it breaks down the Methy Alcohol. The claim that they take in Fruit that you take in more methanol. In nature, this methanol in fruit is bound to pectic, which the body cannot break down and separate. In aspartame, this is pure & free in our bodies, and it turns into formaldehyde.

Aspartame, in time, breaks down into Diketopiperazine, basically a carcinogen. Still think its perfectly safe?

You're plenty intelligent, this is obvious by your posts. I'm just not sure why the bias. Aspartame is definitely not safe.

Also, formaldehyde isn't dangerous in quantities seen from known safe levels of aspartame and I believe (I'll check when not phone posting) that even at abuse doses of aspartame it's still not a concern.

I'm going to guess Joseph Mercola.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I don't completely agree with your science. I don't think you can say that this must be fine because there's only this tiny molecular difference, because an extra methyl group can have a big effect on the chemical properties of a compound.

I do totally agree with the sentiment though. I get really wound up by the whole 'no chemicals' brigade. Water is a chemical for heavens sake.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I'm going to guess Joseph Mercola.
    Mercolalololola

Also I microwaved some chicken and ate it about 20 minutes ago, and as far as I can tell I t.. *gasp*

*croak*

RIP SideSteel.

Here lies SideSteel.

Killed by a deathbox
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,668 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone want to ingest something that needs a defense like that?
    Because it fulfills a sweet craving?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • wheird
    Options
    Why would anyone want to ingest something that needs a defense like that?

We once had to convince most of humanity that the world is round.
  • wheird
    Options
    Hah! It was stickied!
  • haniame
    haniame Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just curious, i have heard that aspartame causes diabetes in the future if consumed too much on a regular basis. Also i have heard that it makes you crave more food. is that true or just a myth?