So you want to start lifting? Great!

Options

Replies

• MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thank you, wish I would have seen this 1 1/2 years ago. I started with a split routine and followed it for a year but never really gained in strength, did bring some definition to arms but that was about it. 4 weeks into Strong Curves and I see my lower half finally paying attention and building strength with those compound moves.
    In to watch all the videos.
  • SaltNBurnBoys
    SaltNBurnBoys Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Bump to save
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    bump de bump
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Good info for beginners, OP. Most of my friends list have been lifting a while, but there are some new people who are just starting out and I'd definitely recommend reading this thread.
  • Fujiberry
    Fujiberry Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Great post OP :smile:

Your point about a split being for intermediates is very valid. I don't know how many people I see in the gym doing their "arm days" when there is definitely no strength base built yet.

One thing I will mention is that even though I am a huge fan of compound lifts they aren't actually "required". For people with injuries or mobility issues some of these can actually be dangerous so it is important to make sure that you are able to do them safely. And there is no reason why you can't switch in leg presses for squats while you work on hip/ankle mobility for example.

Some machines I actually prefer than free weights too like chest supported rows instead of bent over rows. Much harder to cheat and many people have an issue with keeping core tightness.

But just being nitpicky :tongue:

And one thing you will notice with all the beginner programs is they all provide progressive overload. That is most important. If you continue to do what you could do last week then there won't be adequate stimulus for change. This can be in the form of volume or intensity.

Chest supported rows are my fave~ <3

I like doing them on an incline bench with dumbbells. The machines are actually more intimidating for me, since I don't usually fit in them (especially leg machines). Short people problems. :/
  • iwantwow
    iwantwow Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Awesome post.

Another program that I find well structured and focuses on compound lifts is PHUL. It's split between upper and lower body and is probably more intermediate than beginning but it focuses on compound lifts with a few isolation lifts thrown in at the end of the workouts. Can't give any thoughts on results as I just started it last week. So far though, so good. Did NROLFW before that, also a great program and taught me a ton.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout

LOVE PHUL! But definately not for beginners.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info.
  • Fujiberry
    Options
    Glad to see extra input! :)
  • BeautifulSoul705
    BeautifulSoul705 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great post. Very informative. Thank you for sharing. ;)
  • getnfit87
    getnfit87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sexygoodness
    sexygoodness Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting all this information...

I can across a great book The Women's Guide to Bodybuilding and it is great for beginners and advanced as it transitions you from exercises for getting your muscles working and then moving into more isolated training...

I use that like a bible

Cheers
  • maguiyr
    maguiyr Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    In thanks!
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Awesome post.

Another program that I find well structured and focuses on compound lifts is PHUL. It's split between upper and lower body and is probably more intermediate than beginning but it focuses on compound lifts with a few isolation lifts thrown in at the end of the workouts. Can't give any thoughts on results as I just started it last week. So far though, so good. Did NROLFW before that, also a great program and taught me a ton.

I agree, it is the program that I run now currently and it probably help build this physique. Of course I added my little modifications to suit my training style.
  • StevenH74
    StevenH74 Posts: 129
    Options
    This is just what I basically posted asking about so thanks for this. So for example...

Monday - Upper
    Tuesday - None
    Wednsday - Lower
    Thursday - None
    Friday - Upper
    Saturday - None
    Sunday - Lower
    Monday - None

Etc......

And yes, i do need it spelling out to me like that.

PS Would this clash with something like Body Comabt/punch bag if I were to do those on alternate days (apart from weekend)

Thanks.
  • Elektrolyfe
    Elektrolyfe Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This is just what I basically posted asking about so thanks for this. So for example...

Monday - Upper
    Tuesday - None
    Wednsday - Lower
    Thursday - None
    Friday - Upper
    Saturday - None
    Sunday - Lower
    Monday - None

Etc......

PS Would this clash with something like Body Comabt/punch bag if I were to do those on alternate days (apart from weekend)

Thanks.

I don't see a problem with doing Body Combat/Punching Bag on alternate days as cardio sessions, just make sure you are getting enough calories and meeting your macros to fuel your physical activities.
  • redpandora56
    redpandora56 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    in for the links
  • Fujiberry
    Options
    Awesome post.

I agree, it is the program that I run now currently and it probably help build this physique. Of course I added my little modifications to suit my training style.

This is neat! This is very similar to what I'm doing right now. I have more supersets and more exercises in mine, but this is great!
  • StevenH74
    StevenH74 Posts: 129
    Options

Monday - Upper
    Tuesday - None
    Wednsday - Lower
    Thursday - None
    Friday - Upper
    Saturday - None
    Sunday - Lower
    Monday - None

Etc......

Thanks.

I don't see a problem with doing Body Combat/Punching Bag on alternate days as cardio sessions, just make sure you are getting enough calories and meeting your macros to fuel your physical activities.

Thanks, and my Monday - Monday "thingy" looks OK?